Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Don't play Xenogears. It is bad.

What's also bad is the English translation for Xenoblade X. This is laughable.

:suicide:

that's fire emblem awakening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that Fire Emblem Awakening was actually Xenoblade Chronicles X.

(Also the FE:A script is by and large an improvement over a literal translation of the Japanese script.)

Edit:

Also Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't a 1-for-1 literal translation of the Japanese script either. You could do something reasonably similar to this for that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty laughable that people would get mad over that.

e:
To elaborate, translation isn't an exact thing. Even when working with important pieces of writing like literature, there can be big variances between translations done by different people. Furthermore, changes like these are common in the localization of japanese games in order to make text flow better in a given language, have things make more sense for the audience, or just to breathe life into the text that wouldn't be present in a literal translation. I've read several times that much of the charm of Paper Mario's dialogue came partially from the work of the localization staff, and sections of Kid Icarus Uprising's dialogue were altered significantly with Sakurai's blessing, to the point that I've seen people describe JP Hades and NA Hades as nearly being different characters altogether.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 29, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well egg on my face :cripes:

Got linked to it and I don't know the characters names so whoops.

Edit: Looked into it and it's the same translation team.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah but 8-4 are ridiculously good at what they do so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes? Why is that bad. Did you hate Xenoblade's translation?

because Xenoblade's translation changed a lot too. Just off the top of my head here's a random important scene:

English:
"Get on your knees and worship me!"
"Never! I will strike you down and all that you have become, you wreched fool! The Monado will stop you... and then you will know the shame of all that you have done, you traitor!"
"Shut your drat mouth and come on!"

vs:

Japanese:
"So... you're standing in my way again."
"Of course I am! And if your heart has become this tainted and warped... I'll cut through it, with the power of the Monado! That's all the kindness I can give to those who've competed for the Monado!"
"I don't need your kindness!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Look in the comments section to see the sort of person that made the image you posted.

e:
holy poo poo this is hilarious

quote:

See my post above. 8-4 was responsible for

Complete rewrites to FE13's script
Cutting out half the content from Azure Striker Gunvolt
Tales of Heart R's "translation" (It's so wildly off script you'd notice even on mute and not knowing the original text. Full of moments like characters pounding their feat while the text tries to write emotations that aren't appropriate. It was also horribly inconsistent with established English naming conventions for the Tales of series)
Destroying Mighty Number 9 by giving a crazy mod powers INCLUDING THE ABILITY TO BAR YOU FROM PRODUCTS YOU PAID FOR BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT LIKE YOUR POLITICS because she was blowing one of their guys.

quote:

It's not so much censorship (though it has that to) as it multiple characters having entirely different personalities (Nowi, Gregor and Henry being the most prominent) coming off as "my western writing is far more matures clever than those nips" and entire speaker transitions being cut (the source language loves having listeners confirm what the speaker just said, but I've never heard anyone suggest cutting out even this repetition let alone something with actual content like the above)

quote:

You can repeat "localization isn't just translation" thing, but do
you even know any Nipponese?

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 29, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

Look in the comments section to see the sort of person that made the image you posted.

e:
holy poo poo this is hilarious

People are still pissy over the knowledge that women have been involved in making video games. :smith.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Motto posted:

(the source language loves having listeners confirm what the speaker just said, but I've never heard anyone suggest cutting out even this repetition let alone something with actual content like the above)

So people actually complain if someone removes the "repeating what I just heard?!" dialogue of JRPGs. :psyduck:

Also I can't see how you can like the British accents of Xenoblade and then say nonliteral translations are bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Fire Emblem Awakening was pretty amazing dialogue-wise and from what I saw some characters in the Japanese version were blank nobodies that spoke in generic anime lines, so I hope XCX gets that treatment. Have some of these smaller side-characters worship a bug they found or something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Yeah but 8-4 are ridiculously good at what they do so

Fair enough, I don't pay too much attention to the translation studios I admit and saw the example given and "these guys are doing X's translation" and got worried. That's all.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair enough, I don't pay too much attention to the translation studios I admit and saw the example given and "these guys are doing X's translation" and got worried. That's all.

They did NieR and Revengeance. Everything will be fine. :)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

mycot posted:

So people actually complain if someone removes the "repeating what I just heard?!" dialogue of JRPGs. :psyduck:

Also I can't see how you can like the British accents of Xenoblade and then say nonliteral translations are bad.

Don't try to understand these kind of people. The idea that translation is only a part of localization is baffling to them. He's probably mad when honorifics are removed, too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I kinda want them to make all of your dialogue options be memes they've caused from all their previous translation works now.

Hell, I don't know how it actually happens, but the big twist (actual plot point for XCX that i've read offhand and you probably know) when you find out that everyone is robots you should just have the options to shout NANOMACHINES, SON!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The ability to change dialogue to something greater... So this is the Monado's power!

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

This is good news. 8-4 are one of the best localization teams and a huge step up from the in-house NoA team. They were responsible for Nier, Metal Gear Rising Revengence, and if we go far enough back, Xenosaga Episode III (a.k.a. the good one).

They're great at handling the minutia to make sure the dialog flows while still fitting the tone and theme. The Japanese dialog in Revengence was actually re-written afterward to be more like the American translation, so we might even get another case where the translation beats the original.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I'm sorry but "creepy kid who likes blood and magic and...blood magic!" is a terribly infantile line. The translation reads in a very trite way overall. It might fit the source material though, haven't played the game.

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 29, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think it's pretty cute and infantile, a goofy tone for someone who thinks the creepy guy wants to sacrifice dogs. Huge improvement over girl begging guy not to literally murder a dog and him not understanding why someone would not literally murder a dog.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Rabelais D posted:

I'm sorry but "creepy kid who likes blood and magic and...blood magic!" is a terribly infantile line.

this is an even more infantile line.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

What they need to do is get the people that did the Splatoon localization.

Evil Alien Cyborg Leader. "The only thing dropping harder than your hipster colony is my sick beats." :smugdroid:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rabelais D posted:

I'm sorry but "creepy kid who likes blood and magic and...blood magic!" is a terribly infantile line. The translation reads in a very trite way overall. It might fit the source material though, haven't played the game.

I'm sorry, but I like Tales games. My threshold for trite is much, much harder to reach than yours.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

8-4 are extremely good, the dialogue in Fire Emblem: Awakening is extremely good, and Henry is the second best character only behind Owain

I'm not very interested in XCX but the localization is in good hands

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

This is actually worse than just using portraits like in older Tales games. My god it's so bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is actually worse than just using portraits like in older Tales games. My god it's so bad.

They went right back to portraits in later games so I guess Bamco agrees.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Direct, literal translation is often going to sound idiotic between cultures and languages as far removed as Japan and the English-speaking west. Getting phrases to make semantic sense is just a tiny part of localizing media.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 29, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Parrotine posted:

Wait, hold on a sec, there's been more than one Xenoblade title besides the Wii/3ds one?

What's it called? What system was it on? I need answers dammit

The Xeno... franchise? is a long and somewhat messy set of games. They aren't directly connected but tend to share some themes, like weird Gnostic bullshit, AIs that are probably God, Giant Robots, Reincarnation, and Sudden Plot Explosions in the eleventh hour. For a full breakdown:

Xenogears is a PSX game, Squaresoft made it and it came out in 1998. It's a turn-based JRPG with giant robots, random battles, and a kickass soundtrack. The plot is completely incomprehensible like, totally deep, man. Features reincarnation, Freudian psychology, and a sequence where a fifty-foot-tall pink rodent is literally crucified. Something catastrophic happened during production, I don't know if it was a budget thing or a time thing or if the studio caught on fire, but huge chunks of gameplay are missing from disc two, with characters sitting in a dark room and narrating the plot at you instead. The credits of Xenogears reveal that it was supposed to be part five of a six part epic narrative. None of the other five parts exist, and they never will.

Then the director/writer behind Xenogears decided to go off and found Monolith Soft and hung out with Namco for a while, so he could make Xenosaga. Xenosaga was also supposed to be a six-part epic narrative, and they made it three games in before they had to stop. The series creator says the two games are not connected in any way, they just happened to share fashions, and character names, and thematic arcs, a golden monolith of immense power named after a religious text, and inidentally it turns out there's a guy in Xenosaga who looks identical to the lead from Xenogears. Look, I don't know what's actually going on in Xenosaga. All three episodes are named after books by Friedrich Nietzsche, and Jesus (seriously), is in at least one of them. I think Mary is a robot? God may or may not be nanomachines. I'm sure it's explained somewhere in the twenty hours of cutscenes. Anyway, Xenosaga ended at episode three, probably because sales dropped drastically with each game. They're all on the PS2. I'm not suggesting you play any of them but but you asked for answers and here they are. I may be unnecessarily hard on the series but when you subtitle your games Der Wille zur Macht, Jenseits von Gut und Böse, and Also sprach Zarathustra some ribbing is to be expected.

Then Bandai sold Monolith Soft to Nintendo. :toot:

And apparently Xenoblade happened because as it turns out, when make a game for Nintendo, Nintendo wants the whole game. Not one and a half discs of game, or part three of a game, or a flash series to explain what happened between games. Also, it wasn't intended to be a Xeno- game from the start, so that may have helped tamp down the more ridiculous plot twists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xenogears is my favourite RPG and everyone should play it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Paper Mario is my favourite RPG and everyone should play it.

:agreed:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please don't alter my posts with your poo poo tastes thank you

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I can understand people being annoyed at that translation example since they completely changed both the tone and the characters' personalities. I do think the translated version is more entertaining but a localisation should still stick to the tone and intent of the original work. Otherwise the translators suggest the original work wasn't good enough to be kept intact. Of course, that might be true since we're talking video games, but still.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is you should be able to rewrite the dialogue to make flow better for English speakers while still keeping the characterization and overall tone intact.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 29, 2015

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

the japanese are gross and the more we get away from their lovely backward-rear end sensibilities the better

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

the japanese are gross and the more we get away from their lovely backward-rear end sensibilities the better

nice racism I think you missed GBS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I can understand people being annoyed at that translation example since they completely changed both the tone and the characters' personalities. I do think the translated version is more entertaining but a localisation should still stick to the tone and intent of the original work. Otherwise the translators suggest the original work wasn't good enough to be kept intact. Of course, that might be true since we're talking video games, but still.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is you should be able to rewrite the dialogue to make flow better for English speakers while still keeping the characterization and overall tone intact.

If the original characterization sucks it's ok to Samurai Pizza Cats it so long as what you turn out is an improvement

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
because of those bastards at 8-4, we missed out on such deep characterization as cordelia complaining that her boobs are small.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"My boobs are small :(" and "My boobs are big *back of hand over mouth* OHOHOHOHO" are just two of the up to four different personalities an anime girl might be blessed with

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Another important reason that image is silly is that the various branches of a company aren't as separate as they were decades ago, these kinds of changes are often happening with developer approval.

quote:

As for how Uprising’s over-the-top English localization came to be, Sakurai admitted he gave Nintendo of America a lot of leeway so the game would be enjoyable for native speakers of English. “The Japanese version is definitely very comedic too,” he said. “It's something that takes advantage of the nuances of Japanese conversation, and not all of it works directly in English. We had NOA handle the localization, and I told them to change the meaning and content as much as they want - that I wanted conversations that sound natural and enjoyable to a native speaker.”

And the "faithful" fan-translation might not necessarily be "correct" either. Translations that focus too much on being exactly the same as the original but in english are known for being too stiff.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 29, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's actually not bad, that's first off all quest dialogue and second a literal japnese translation is always much much worse.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Oxxidation posted:

They went right back to portraits in later games so I guess Bamco agrees.

Actually it's a team thing. Team Symphonia games always use the square box skit portraits while Team Destiny games mostly (but not exclusively) use the full body ones. Zestiria uses the full body ones.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wateyad posted:

Actually it's a team thing. Team Symphonia games always use the square box skit portraits while Team Destiny games mostly (but not exclusively) use the full body ones. Zestiria uses the full body ones.

Consider me corrected.

I stopped playing the series after Vesperia so I was talking out my butt anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

wateyad posted:

Didn't they disband the Tales studio and Team Destiny/Symphonia after Xillia, so Zestiria and all future installments are hybrid efforts?

• Locked thread