Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tae posted:

Welp, Miranda and Alfonso left my party forever. Also, Yuki never called his mother Mom for like 17 years. The gently caress?

i keep warning people aand they never believe me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'll never understand why they got rid of the best characters. Well, I think I know why they did it but I still don't understand. That decision killed the game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is there any actually good crossover RPGs?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yesss I got to the dinner dinner dinner scene

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

HGH posted:

Featuring Dante from Capcom's blockbuster series Devil May Cry

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's only been an hour after Miranda left, but I'm still enjoying Grandia 3. I can't imagine what makes it a "disaster" as I just outright quit games out of disinterest or bad battle system, neither of which has come up after this long. I also appreciate the novelty of two main characters that are really good friends-but-obviously-a-couple without being the super typical and annoying banter that recent games put up in.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HGH posted:

SMT3 Nocturne

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Tae posted:

It's only been an hour after Miranda left, but I'm still enjoying Grandia 3. I can't imagine what makes it a "disaster" as I just outright quit games out of disinterest or bad battle system, neither of which has come up after this long. I also appreciate the novelty of two main characters that are really good friends-but-obviously-a-couple without being the super typical and annoying banter that recent games put up in.

It's mostly that the plot is paint-by-numbers without a whole lot of charm and/or campiness of 1 and 2 to help keep you invested. There's a few scenes later on that are unintentionally hilarious and the game as a whole still does a better job of engaging you than Xtreme ever does, but those hilariously dumb scenes are few and far between and the best characters have left to be part of some hypothetical better game. Also, apparently the Japanese voice acting is infamously bad, so make of that what you will.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Well it happened.

I've run out of RPGs to buy/collect.

Everything good and decent to even average on consoles from the Pre-NES era to current.

I have everything....and in a good number of cases I have the entire RPG library for whole systems.

The only thing I would be able to do in order to acquire more would be to get different versions of the same games I already have(i.e. the billion versions of Lunar).

I should take a picture but it would take me like 3 hours to put everything together and then even more time putting it back in alphabetical/system order. So :effort:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

I'm replaying Grandia 3 right now as well and it's leaving a much more positive impression than when it first came out. Miranda and Alonso were great, but Yuki leaving and doing his own thing is totally Grandia. G3 takes its cues more from the first game than the second and I think it's pretty good. The battle system is still the best part of the game and carries a lot of it. The story is alright, typical JRPG stuff with a coming of age plot mixed in. Alfina and Yuki are pretty cool, I agree. If I had to put my finger on a single issue that drags the game down it's pacing. You'll have long stretches of dungeon and exploring punctuated by (what feels like) near MGS4 level length cut scenes.

I do think I'd enjoy the game more if it had absolutely no voice acting though. I find the dialog bubbles with the emotive faces are written better than anything spoken.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 28, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wild Arms 3 is one of the few JRPGs I can think of where one of the protagonists is a happily married man and nothing bad happens to his wife or children. It's pretty rad.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only other character I can think of like that is Taloon from DQIV. It can't be a large list, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

The Super Robot Wars franchise is overall good. It has some stinkers but by and large it's a solid franchise.

Pretty much all the major crossovers aim to be SRW to be honest.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know why SRW didn't even occur to me, thanks. Probably cause I was thinking of traditional turnbased stuff where most stinkers fall in.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

HGH posted:

barkley

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

After playing ten minutes of Evoland 2, I can tell you that it's a lot more polished, and that it's still really unfunny. It starts with a Portal 2 reference that goes nowhere, segues into boring opening scroll, and I just solved a random Professor Layton puzzle.

The devs seem to be under the impression that reference equals funny or interesting. The game part of the game might still be good, so I'm going to keep playing and keep my hopes up; Evoland 1 was close to being a fun game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

That's not a crossover, that's just canon to life.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Evoland update: 1 hour into the game, after some fairly light Zelda type adventuring in the very beginning your next activities are: A mandatory stealth section that lasts way too long, and a platforming section that is also a water/sewer level. You can drown, you move extremely awkwardly, the works. What kind of designers put a loving water level from a bad platforming game in the literal first hour of their game?!

The worst part is I have to keep playing because I have to know how they hosed up next, right? Maybe the game will become good at some point???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Evoland update: 1 hour into the game, after some fairly light Zelda type adventuring in the very beginning your next activities are: A mandatory stealth section that lasts way too long, and a platforming section that is also a water/sewer level. You can drown, you move extremely awkwardly, the works. What kind of designers put a loving water level from a bad platforming game in the literal first hour of their game?!

The worst part is I have to keep playing because I have to know how they hosed up next, right? Maybe the game will become good at some point???

I have literally no idea how you have any trouble with the sewer level. It is some of the easiest platforming I've ever encountered.

Edit:

Like I mean that straight-up, not a 'lol, get good' thing. The basic platforming is super-simple and anything involving water allows you to swim and has an air pocket every three feet. It really shouldn't be giving you any trouble whatsoever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 29, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's not so much hard as it's bad and annoying. And right after the mandatory "evade the guards" (which has never been fun in any game that isn't Metal Gear) part too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

It's not so much hard as it's bad and annoying. And right after the mandatory "evade the guards" (which has never been fun in any game that isn't Metal Gear) part too.

I'm honestly not sure what you find so objectionable about it. It's pretty basic platforming. Like the worst thing I can say about it is that it is unexceptional.

I mean there are totally things Evoland 2 does badly (The fuckin' Puzzle Quest segment or the lovely turn-based segment) but that seems like an odd one to complain about.

Edit:

In non-Evo news, I really feel like Grandia 2's plot would be improved by replacing have the villain's dialogue with "nobody expects the Granas inquisition!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 29, 2015

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
How are the Labyronia games, by RPGMaker standards?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I appreciate Infinite Undiscovery for having the first protagonist in a JRPG that has high-functioning aspergers

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lots of jrpgs have self-insert protagonists though?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'll always respect infinite undiscovery for having (kinda spoilers?)the main character getting super loving pissed later in the game and actually changing his battle dialog to reflect that

dont really see that often

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

lots of jrpgs have self-insert protagonists though?
Rude

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Roobanguy posted:

i'll always respect infinite undiscovery for having (kinda spoilers?)the main character getting super loving pissed later in the game and actually changing his battle dialog to reflect that

dont really see that often

Something similar happened in Star Ocean: The Last Hope, but I can't exactly blame you if you didn't play that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hmm, I kind of dislike Grandia 2 immediately because of how cliche the first impression compared to the first game. We have a white mage girl, a mysterious curse, a world-threatening event, etc. The first game begins with an actual kid and his friend wanting to go on an adventure so they wander around the local sights for a bit until they run into some ruins, where they find clues that lead them elsewhere, so there they go, looking for adventure. Nothing world-threatening happens for at least 20 hours! I would have stopped playing Grandia a long time ago if the beginning wasn't so fresh compared to every other 90s RPG. Whereas here the very first thing that happens is a vaguely defined darkness attacking and killing some people you barely knew.

But on the other hand, the gameplay moves at a blistering pace compared to the slow crawl that is Grandia 1 so this might just be a better game overall. And the story has a good 40 hours left to twist itself into something interesting too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Amppelix posted:

But on the other hand, the gameplay moves at a blistering pace compared to the slow crawl that is Grandia 1 so this might just be a better game overall. And the story has a good 40 hours left to twist itself into something interesting too.

No it doesn't.

Grandia 2 is not a terribly long game. (I don't automatically think this is a negative). I don't think you'll get 40 hours out of it in one playthrough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Hmm, I kind of dislike Grandia 2 immediately because of how cliche the first impression compared to the first game. We have a white mage girl, a mysterious curse, a world-threatening event, etc. The first game begins with an actual kid and his friend wanting to go on an adventure so they wander around the local sights for a bit until they run into some ruins, where they find clues that lead them elsewhere, so there they go, looking for adventure. Nothing world-threatening happens for at least 20 hours! I would have stopped playing Grandia a long time ago if the beginning wasn't so fresh compared to every other 90s RPG. Whereas here the very first thing that happens is a vaguely defined darkness attacking and killing some people you barely knew.

Honestly, that's a pretty common opinion from people who liked Grandia 1's story. Grandia 2 is a lot more traditional in almost every way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would probably hate Grandia 1, then. I don't like slow beginnings to begin with, especially if they take 20 hours to start any danger.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

I would probably hate Grandia 1, then. I don't like slow beginnings to begin with, especially if they take 20 hours to start any danger.

Grandia 1 has a lot in common with Trails in the Sky in that it's basically a story about people rather than events. It's about young kids who basically go out and have adventures. It's one of my favorite RPGs of all time, though it has aged really poorly, tbh.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

Grandia 1 has a lot in common with Trails in the Sky in that it's basically a story about people rather than events. It's about young kids who basically go out and have adventures. It's one of my favorite RPGs of all time, though it has aged really poorly, tbh.

That's a pretty good comparison! I would have really liked to like Grandia more than I do, and I might still finish it someday, but man it gets sooo slooowww around the end of the first disc/beginning of the second disc. Big areas, little story. Because the gameplay doesn't really carry the game, when nothing's happening in the story there really is nothing happening at all. At least up until that point there was something fun going on at pretty regular intervals. The game could really use a Tales-like skit system, because the characters are the best part and having short chats in the middle of dungeons would really break the tedium.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Wild Arms 5 is really good. The others not so much.

Hopefully with Grandia 2 doing decent on steam we'll get the Lunar games ported with proper translations.

edit: I tried to go back to Grandia 1 recently but the battles make me nauseous. The way the camera moves in and out and around isn't smooth and for some reason it never bothered me when I played it years ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You were used to PS1 games being sub 20fps back then.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Overbite posted:

Wild Arms 5 is really good
LET'S TAKE A LITTLE LOOK-SEE :byodood:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I appreciate Infinite Undiscovery for having the first protagonist in a JRPG that has high-functioning aspergers

I would say Radiata Stories is the first although I think it's more like Jack Russell doesn't give a gently caress even if his actions are actively destroying the world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Russell might be my favourite RPG name and I'm sad that game never came out here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

I would say Radiata Stories is the first although I think it's more like Jack Russell doesn't give a gently caress even if his actions are actively destroying the world.
Hm, will consider Radiata Stories then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

While I kind of agree with you and feel Grandia 1 is the better game, just not in gameplay, JRPGs have gotten so silly to the point something like Grandia 2's more cliche and serious story is charming in its own way. Plus, Grandia 2 still has NPCs you have to talk to repeatedly to exhaust all their dialogue and Ryudo being a snarky rear end in a top hat in response to them is entertaining in it's own way compared to Justin's silly naivety.