Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Broseph Brostar posted:

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Eventually in MG, Big Boss starts giving Snake false intel on his codec, like leading him into traps.
One could still kinda get around this. One possibility is that Big Boss wanted Snake to fail, not kill Venom. If Venom never betrays Big Boss (I'm not sure if it's clear whether he's running Outer Heaven for Big Boss or himself), then it makes sense for Big Boss to get desperate as Snake gets closer to succeeding and try to gently caress him over by telling him to go to places where he knows there are traps (since he built Outer Heaven and Venom would be in contact with him). Another would be to just say Venom had or cracked the radio/codec frequency and started posing as Big Boss, lying to Snake and exploiting the fact that he's taking orders from "Big Boss," a man he's literally a double of.

I think the most logical conclusion is that the two continue to work together, because if Snake was supposed to succeed in Outer Heaven then he'd inevitably have to confront Venom and the whole "oh oops Big Boss runs Outer Heaven" thing would get out. If Big Boss was concerned about clearing up the loose end of a double he'd just tell Snake "Be careful, the guy behind Outer Heaven has had himself modified to look like me and exploit my legend, but you'll know he's not me because he has a cyborg left arm and a huge scar/horn on his forehead." So I get the sense Snake was never supposed to succeed, as Metal Gear 1 implied, meaning Big Boss fully intended to keep the secret of his double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nakar posted:

One could still kinda get around this. One possibility is that Big Boss wanted Snake to fail, not kill Venom. If Venom never betrays Big Boss (I'm not sure if it's clear whether he's running Outer Heaven for Big Boss or himself), then it makes sense for Big Boss to get desperate as Snake gets closer to succeeding and try to gently caress him over by telling him to go to places where he knows there are traps (since he built Outer Heaven and Venom would be in contact with him). Another would be to just say Venom had or cracked the radio/codec frequency and started posing as Big Boss, lying to Snake and exploiting the fact that he's taking orders from "Big Boss," a man he's literally a double of.

I think the most logical conclusion is that the two continue to work together, because if Snake was supposed to succeed in Outer Heaven then he'd inevitably have to confront Venom and the whole "oh oops Big Boss runs Outer Heaven" thing would get out. If Big Boss was concerned about clearing up the loose end of a double he'd just tell Snake "Be careful, the guy behind Outer Heaven has had himself modified to look like me and exploit my legend, but you'll know he's not me because he has a cyborg left arm and a huge scar/horn on his forehead." So I get the sense Snake was never supposed to succeed, as Metal Gear 1 implied, meaning Big Boss fully intended to keep the secret of his double.

In which case, where the hell does Gray Fox fit into it? He was doing stuff with the real Big Boss in parallel to Venom Snake taking down Skull Face and the story is that Big Boss already sent Gray Fox to Outer Heaven who was then captured by Venom. So what the hell was his plan exactly? To have everyone fail until FOXHOUND ran out of operatives to send?

The whole thing just makes no sense and that's why I'm not a fan of it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah I don't know, hopefully the endgame fleshes out his motives a bit. If he was legitimately turning on Big Boss then it makes sense Grey Fox would be captured (since Venom actually isn't Big Boss and therefore has every reason to hold his man) and why he'd try to kill Snake, but if that's all true it makes no sense Big Boss would take the risk of Snake being successful and discovering that "Big Boss" is running Outer Heaven. And since he basically flees and forms Zanzibar Land after MG1, it's clear that Snake did expose the whole "Big Boss was, um, behind Outer Heaven apparently?" thing. So did he want Snake to succeed or not, and if he did why the gently caress did he not mention the body double and bullshit around it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Does anyone know if there's free roam after the storyline, or does the game end for good after the final mission?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Danaru posted:

Does anyone know if there's free roam after the storyline, or does the game end for good after the final mission?

I'm guessing it time warps back to before the final mission, since you kill your entire base. It'd be a real dick move if you had to rebuild Motherbase again after that.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What's the deal with the flare grenades? I throw one in an open spot and the chopper arrives then turns around and goes and lands somewhere else?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What's the deal with the flare grenades? I throw one in an open spot and the chopper arrives then turns around and goes and lands somewhere else?

Did you also tell it to go to a landing zone? There's only one chopper.

Also wrong thread.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Nakar posted:

Yeah I don't know, hopefully the endgame fleshes out his motives a bit. If he was legitimately turning on Big Boss then it makes sense Grey Fox would be captured (since Venom actually isn't Big Boss and therefore has every reason to hold his man) and why he'd try to kill Snake, but if that's all true it makes no sense Big Boss would take the risk of Snake being successful and discovering that "Big Boss" is running Outer Heaven. And since he basically flees and forms Zanzibar Land after MG1, it's clear that Snake did expose the whole "Big Boss was, um, behind Outer Heaven apparently?" thing. So did he want Snake to succeed or not, and if he did why the gently caress did he not mention the body double and bullshit around it?

It could be that at first he wanted Snake to succeed, but then learned Miller was training Snake to work against him, so he changed his plan to be disposing of Snake. Also he could have been trying to get Snake to get rid of the body double, but not tell him about that because he would want the world to think he actually is dead, that way he can work in greater secrecy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

I'm guessing it time warps back to before the final mission, since you kill your entire base. It'd be a real dick move if you had to rebuild Motherbase again after that.

It doesn't. There are postgame missions.

My guess is that it just rolls back the base itself though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

One of the streams got the first ending.

This game honestly does not look that fun. It's kind of amazing how much the marketing trailers made the game look more fun than it actually is. It's just constant grinding like in Peace Walker except instead of it being bite sized it's in a very bland open world that honestly reminds me of Ubisoft open world games.

Kind of glad I got a cheap NVIDIA key honestly.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

One of the streams got the first ending.

This game honestly does not look that fun. It's kind of amazing how much the marketing trailers made the game look more fun than it actually is. It's just constant grinding like in Peace Walker except instead of it being bite sized it's in a very bland open world that honestly reminds me of Ubisoft open world games.

Kind of glad I got a cheap NVIDIA key honestly.

You've unraveled the mystery

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr E posted:

You've unraveled the mystery

No, I know what happens with the postgame and other endings. I'm talking entirely about the gameplay here, it doesn't look all that fun. The boss fights don't look very fun either, some of them seem more irritating than Peace Walker's vehicle battles.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No, I know what happens with the postgame and other endings. I'm talking entirely about the gameplay here, it doesn't look all that fun. The boss fights don't look very fun either, some of them seem more irritating than Peace Walker's vehicle battles.

How is the gameplay in any way worse than mgs1/2/3

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

a cop posted:

How is the gameplay in any way worse than mgs1/2/3

Well for one you didn't have stupid amounts of grinding to do, filler missions to unlock the next plot snippet, an open world which doesn't look to justify the game being open world or mother base development taking up to an hour real time to complete research in MGS 1, 2, 3 or 4 and Peace Walker was much faster paced about all that stuff.

It looks like it's wearing out its welcome pretty quickly and the streamer is getting pretty bored by it and he just reached the first ending.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well for one you didn't have stupid amounts of grinding to do, filler missions to unlock the next plot snippet, an open world which doesn't look to justify the game being open world or mother base development taking up to an hour real time to complete research in MGS 1, 2, 3 or 4 and Peace Walker was much faster paced about all that stuff.

It looks like it's wearing out its welcome pretty quickly and the streamer is getting pretty bored by it and he just reached the first ending.

None of the stuff you said sounds bad, to me. Imagine, if you will, someone who enjoys the gameplay no matter what, even if they unlock nothing. So unlocking stuff is only good.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Maybe he's getting tired of it because he's been playing it almost nonstop? I get tired of good games if I play them for too long too many days in a row.

Also if there is a grinding issue the PC version can fix it so I'm not too worried there.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Vikar Jerome posted:

Are you telling me these leaks are all... orchestrated!?

What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's a playground with a lot of toys. You have to make your own fun with them, so if you're not creative then you're going to be bored. The game has a director that covers tactics you used frequently to try and encourage creativity. You probably wouldn't have liked the original Deus Ex either.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It looks pretty fun to me. There are some huge complicated-looking areas in Africa from the look of things. Afghanistan looks more simplistic; maybe it's supposed to be that way to be easier early on?

There's definitely large swathes of the open world that don't have much in them but that's to allow you to make an approach to the denser mission areas. If the Mother Base teams are leveled enough they alert you if anything of interest is nearby, otherwise you can just pass through.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I just realized if you don't really play as Big Boss, needing a Russian interpreter is a big hint at that, rather than the shrapnel in the brain people were talking about :aaa:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BenRGamer posted:

I just realized if you don't really play as Big Boss, needing a Russian interpreter is a big hint at that, rather than the shrapnel in the brain people were talking about :aaa:

I guess? It's a thing that happens in the real world though. People have even gotten different accents due to brain damage.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I'm down with the big twist. It acts out some of the series' ideas in a really personal and concrete way, it's totally bizarre, designed to piss you off, and yet makes a ton of previously inexplicable things make sense. Big Boss becomes a villain by loving over you, the player, personally.

"A Pseudo-Historical Recreation"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Important stream confirmation: You can in fact get Quiet some drat clothes, but in the strangest manner possible: You can't put the clothes on buddy Quiet, but you can play as her as a skin. And yes, she can still be a buddy to herself.

EDIT: Wow she even has voice acting for the player version and I'm pretty sure it's Stephanie Joosten with all the gameplay lines recorded like buddy orders and interrogations and stuff.

EDIT EDIT: Actually I might be mistaken, it might be a Quiet XOF Fatigues outfit for female Mother Base personnel and his character is just similar-looking to Quiet. However he's also developing the same thing so it might be that buddy Quiet can also equip her XOF fatigues from the hospital intro, which should satisfy anyone who wants her to look cool.

Mother Base personnel seem to have all the same camo options as Snake, though I don't know if they can go shirtless like him.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 29, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Nakar posted:

Important stream confirmation: You can in fact get Quiet some drat clothes, but in the strangest manner possible: You can't put the clothes on buddy Quiet, but you can play as her as a skin. And yes, she can still be a buddy to herself.

EDIT: Wow she even has voice acting for the player version and I'm pretty sure it's Stephanie Joosten with all the gameplay lines recorded like buddy orders and interrogations and stuff.

EDIT EDIT: Actually I might be mistaken, it might be a Quiet XOF Fatigues outfit for female Mother Base personnel and his character is just similar-looking to Quiet. However he's also developing the same thing so it might be that buddy Quiet can also equip her XOF fatigues from the hospital intro, which should satisfy anyone who wants her to look cool.

Mother Base personnel seem to have all the same camo options as Snake, though I don't know if they can go shirtless like him.

What stream are you watching?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Nakar posted:

Hopefully everyone can go shirtless in MGO.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Capn Beeb posted:

What stream are you watching?
Some Russian stream.

The Quiet grenade deflect is actually pretty generous and useful and seems to track larger targets well. The streamer used it to down a helicopter by deflecting 3-4 frag grenades.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Nakar posted:

Some Russian stream.

The Quiet grenade deflect is actually pretty generous and useful and seems to track larger targets well. The streamer used it to down a helicopter by deflecting 3-4 frag grenades.

Loaded it just in time to see the player toss a person at an enemy.

Said person appeared to be a child soldier

Game of the century.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So that big plot twist seems cool and all but is there any really goofy stuff in this game?

Like i'm not expecting Peace Walker things like Monster Hunter fights or ghost photography, but i'm hoping there's still some good ol-fashioned silliness in this video game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So that big plot twist seems cool and all but is there any really goofy stuff in this game?

Like i'm not expecting Peace Walker things like Monster Hunter fights or ghost photography, but i'm hoping there's still some good ol-fashioned silliness in this video game.
There is an entire subplot in the collectable tapes involving Kaz trying to invent the perfect burger and Code Talker shooting down all of his attempts.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Is MGS finally the game that lets you kill kids? I can't remember the last game that let you kill kids. Its always something they go to absurd lengths to avoid.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

a cop posted:

Is MGS finally the game that lets you kill kids? I can't remember the last game that let you kill kids. Its always something they go to absurd lengths to avoid.
I don't think the game lets you kill them. You face them in missions but I think Kaz tells you that you have to CQC or tranq them and you get a mission failure if you kill one.

They will however be trying to kill you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Have you not seen videos of the new boxes? Don't worry there's plenty of silly stuff.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

So you can kill them, it just results in mission failure? Bold move, kojima-san..

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Anime Paz is one of the things you can put on the cardboard box, incidentally.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CrashCat posted:

It's a playground with a lot of toys. You have to make your own fun with them, so if you're not creative then you're going to be bored. The game has a director that covers tactics you used frequently to try and encourage creativity. You probably wouldn't have liked the original Deus Ex either.

Not liking to have to grind for content isn't the same as not liking to think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CrashCat posted:

The core stealth mechanics is fine, but the level design if you will looks to be hot garbage which is something Deus Ex always was good on and to even unlock those toys you mention in the first place, it involves ridiculous amounts of grinding and wasting time. Much moreso than Peace Walker which like I said, was bite sized.

On a different note, I cannot get over how terrible Skull Face's voice actor is. It's making me laugh just listening to it.

http://webmshare.com/1L7Xg

Just look at this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is Kojima actually recruitable from Ground Zeroes? The leak mentioned 19 soldiers, which is all the unique soldiers and POWs, including Kojima if I did my math right.

If so, does that mean Kojima is playable?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No one can answer about GZ unlocks as the server needed for the transfer isn't up until Tuesday.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mokinokaro posted:

No one can answer about GZ unlocks as the server needed for the transfer isn't up until Tuesday.

Aw :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Another game mechanic question since I can't keep patient about this game I've heard mention of soldiers getting worse stats due to injury, but is there any way to make their stats better?

• Locked thread