Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Full Battle Rattle posted:

They're not doing well. Fox seems to be in a losing war with Donald Trump and I have abandoned any hope of seeing any good coverage of Bernie out of most mainstream outlets. Rachel Maddow seemed pretty pumped about him though, but they took down the youtube channel that was illegally uploading her shows and i haven't seen it in a while

Ed Schultz gave Bernie pretty decent coverage and then was promptly cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CloFan posted:

I don't know how some of you keep up with this thread, I don't check it for like a day and there's 30 more pages

Just do what I do; skip like ten pages at a time just to keep up. I know I'm missing some good content but I'm also missing Dahbaru or whatever the gently caress his name is proclaiming how much smarter he is than everyone who doesn't agree with him, so it's kind of a wash.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Trump's obsession with Kerry's bicycle accident is weird and funny and super revealing about his entire worldview. He honestly believes that the essence of politics is two or more personalities trying to dominate each other in a paneled conference room and whoever is the biggest bully gets what he wants. Kerry showing up to the table with a broken leg was a sign of weakness and directly responsible for the US getting the short end of the deal

jebuiz yhar
Aug 29, 2015

by Ralp

Calibanibal posted:

Trump's obsession with Kerry's bicycle accident is weird and funny and super revealing about his entire worldview. He honestly believes that the essence of politics is two or more personalities trying to dominate each other in a paneled conference room and whoever is the biggest bully gets what he wants. Kerry showing up to the table with a broken leg was a sign of weakness and directly responsible for the US getting the short end of the deal

Lol if you don't believe that this accounts for essentially 80% of the outcome, at least.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Trump wrote the Art of the Deal, he's like the Sun Tzu of deals.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol at NPR pretending only Hillary spoke to the DNC.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

npr is so bad

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really feel like this should be set to a beat

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

I really feel like this should be set to a beat

This beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZAOj4Bqdec

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Jesus Christ, this starts out funny, then goes into, "Woah, I guess he does say that a lot", then becomes a surreal nightmare. It's like a weird form of tourettes he has. I can't even parse what the implications of this are

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

They're not doing well. Fox seems to be in a losing war with Donald Trump and I have abandoned any hope of seeing any good coverage of Bernie out of most mainstream outlets. Rachel Maddow seemed pretty pumped about him though, but they took down the youtube channel that was illegally uploading her shows and i haven't seen it in a while

You can get Maddow's show as an audio podcast for free on iTunes. There's also a video version but it's edited down.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

good choice: http://youtubedoubler.com/gjZN

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OctoberBlues posted:

That election sounds pretty interesting, any book recommendations on it? It appears that Eisenhower won the New Hampshire primary as a write-in candidate? And that Taft was ahead of Eisenhower in actual primary votes 36%-26% before the convention shenanigans.

Prior to 1972, the primaries were much less important and the real work of picking the nominee happened at the convention. Ike wasn't a declared candidate during many of those early primaries. In fact, he wouldn't even say he was a Republican!

Here's a good two-part podcast about the 1952 Republican nomination:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/whistlestop/2015/04/sen_robert_taft_of_ohio_battles_with_gen_dwight_d_eisenhower_for_the_1952.html
http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/whistlestop/2015/04/sen_robert_taft_of_ohio_battles_with_gen_dwight_d_eisenhower_for_the_1952_1.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the Trump / Palin interview for those who don't pay for the privilege to watch OANN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeju2SG7UMA

I love that she's still billing herself as "Governor Sarah Palin (R-Alaska)".

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Joementum posted:

Just think, it could have been Senator Palin if she hadn't taken the chance at VP. All that potential floor comedy lost to time.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Giant diagrams comparing pediatricians to Isis for recommending vaccines. Hunting from helicopter immortalized as an American tradition.

I feel we missed out.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Here's the Trump / Palin interview for those who don't pay for the privilege to watch OANN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeju2SG7UMA

She is loving unwatchable. I want her to run.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rear end cobra posted:

She is loving unwatchable. I want her to run.

At least she understands that his run is "avant-garde". :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
By the way, does anybody else think his repeated attacks on "hedge-fund guys" are thinly-veiled jabs at the Bushes?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

'Thinly-veiled' doesn't seem to be a Trump personality trait. Along with subtlety and not saying the first thing that crosses your mind.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hmm...

quote:

Three top Jeb Bush fundraisers abruptly parted ways with his presidential campaign on Friday, amid internal personality conflicts and questions about the strength of his candidacy, POLITICO has learned.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

all aboard the carson/rubio train, next stop trump tower

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading about a potential Bernie march on Washington.

I'm guessing him and Trump are the only candidates who could draw 100,000+ to The Mall.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Yet Jeb! keeps pulling in all the money. He's the only candidate in Michigan who's managed over a million in contributions so far.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

EugeneJ posted:

I've been reading about a potential Bernie march on Washington.

I'm guessing him and Trump are the only candidates who could draw 100,000+ to The Mall.

Yeah, they were shooting for 100,000 RSVPs (on facebook, I'm one of them) and they actually got it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

By the way, does anybody else think his repeated attacks on "hedge-fund guys" are thinly-veiled jabs at the Bushes?

I'm not sure, but I think it's incredibly funny that he keeps saying that he hates hedge fund guys and wants to make Carl Icahn the Treasury Secretary / Ambassador to Japan / Ambassador to China / head of the IRS.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hmm indeed! The word "still" in this sentence needs some clarification. :raise:

quote:

they voluntarily quit the campaign and were still working with Bush's super PAC, Right to Rise Super PAC

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I love the idea that Trump has a personal grudge against hedge fund managers and wants to tax them out of spite.
I expect that to gain more traction then a progressive pledging to tax them out of economic fairness,
While accepting campaign donations from Wall Street firms.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Nastier Nate posted:

I love the idea that Trump has a personal grudge against hedge fund managers and wants to tax them out of spite.

Yeah, except that as Joementum mentioned, Trump also loves to talk about what a great guy Carl Icahn is. So I'm taking his anti-hedge-fund proclamations with a pretty big grain of salt.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Saw this over at freep where they are doing an Ewok victory dance.

Speaking about Jeb...

Who had the worst week in Washington? Jeb Bush.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Montasque posted:

Saw this over at freep where they are doing an Ewok victory dance.

Seems appropriate since his name sounds like one of the lyrics from the victory song.

"Jeb neb, jub nub!"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Apparantly the DNC has adopted a $15/hr minimum wage as part of the National Platform

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Apparantly the DNC has adopted a $15/hr minimum wage as part of the National Platform

Thank God.

The one drawback of finally being back in a small town is the lack of self-checkout lanes. UGH.

The sooner they're ALL self-checkout the better.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

You can get her whole show as a free podcast in video or audio form. MSNBC doesn't do that for all their shows, but they do it for Maddow.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Boosted_C5 posted:

Thank God.

The one drawback of finally being back in a small town is the lack of self-checkout lanes. UGH.

You're trying to come off as cynical, but don't understand that they'd already have replaced workers with checkout machines if they felt the savings represented by cutting an employee were worthwhile.

I mean I'm sure plenty say they'll do that. People make silly threats when they don't get what they want. You're just naive enough to fall for their bullshit, and it's cute.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

Bernie's dragging them kicking and screaming to the left

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

You're trying to come off as cynical, but don't understand that they'd already have replaced workers with checkout machines if they felt the savings represented by cutting an employee were worthwhile.

I mean I'm sure plenty say they'll do that. People make silly threats when they don't get what they want. You're just naive enough to fall for their bullshit, and it's cute.

He's not cute, he's disgusting.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CloFan posted:

I don't know how some of you keep up with this thread, I don't check it for like a day and there's 30 more pages

you dont have to read every post, in fact, you shouldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Thank God.

The nearest grocer to me has a bank of 6 self-checkout stations right next to a set of about 8 "traditional" checkout lines. Without fail the "traditional" lines are packed, regardless of what the load on the self-checkouts is during busy times. The self-checkouts are mainly used by people who'd otherwise just use the express line.

Judging by how stupid and apparently incompetent people are at reading and following basic instructions, and at how easily these machines malfunction, I must say that if they were all self-checkout I'd probably eventually snap and commit a mass murder when some moron with a week's worth of groceries drools and shits himself through a checkout for half an hour.

• Locked thread