Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Overlord K posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any basic advice for tackling him on expert? Tried him with two friends for the first time a while ago and we melted pretty fast. I was in full defense tanky mode and tried to survive by abusing regen stuff but it did me little. I was thinking of trying to go summon build this time since my Stardust Dragon staff came out of the box as Mythical. Both my friends use guns for the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xarud63JW5Y :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oh yeah, making a world-wide grid arena (that the guy in the video obviously didn't make either) is totally viable.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I'm building an arsenal. I can already tell it's going to be a bitch and a half.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Overlord K posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any basic advice for tackling him on expert? Tried him with two friends for the first time a while ago and we melted pretty fast. I was in full defense tanky mode and tried to survive by abusing regen stuff but it did me little. I was thinking of trying to go summon build this time since my Stardust Dragon staff came out of the box as Mythical. Both my friends use guns for the record.

That's why it didn't work. One of the Moon Lord's attacks inflicts a debuff that disables health regen completely. Just give up on the idea of tanking him with health regen right now, and start trying to dodge his attacks instead.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Supremezero posted:

Oh yeah, making a world-wide grid arena (that the guy in the video obviously didn't make either) is totally viable.

lol if u dont ufo mount before letting moonmen invade your world.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

That's why it didn't work. One of the Moon Lord's attacks inflicts a debuff that disables health regen completely. Just give up on the idea of tanking him with health regen right now, and start trying to dodge his attacks instead.

This is untrue actually, the nebula armor's buffs still work under his debuf. It' blocks lifesteal, not regen.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

This is untrue actually, the nebula armor's buffs still work under his debuf. It' blocks lifesteal, not regen.

No, it definitely shuts down regen. I don't know about the Nebula Armor, but it shuts down everything else - Band of Regeneration, Heart Lanterns, Campfires, and any other buff that relies on your natural health regen working.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

No, it definitely shuts down regen. I don't know about the Nebula Armor, but it shuts down everything else - Band of Regeneration, Heart Lanterns, Campfires, and any other buff that relies on your natural health regen working.

That might be the trick then, the nebula buff is a fixed 4hp/s per stack.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So me and my friend just entered expert hard mode, and our entire house's been corrupted, and now nobody wants to live there.

What should we do? I've bought a bunch of purification powder, but it's really inefficient. I'm going to try to get the Clentaminator as fast as possible, but it's gonna take a while.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ThaumPenguin posted:

So me and my friend just entered expert hard mode, and our entire house's been corrupted, and now nobody wants to live there.

What should we do? I've bought a bunch of purification powder, but it's really inefficient. I'm going to try to get the Clentaminator as fast as possible, but it's gonna take a while.

Either Clentaminator or build a new house. Nothing for it.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Dynamite all surrounding corrupted blocks and make your base floating.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThaumPenguin posted:

You might be able to turn it hallow by throwing Holy Water around, but you'll need access to the Dryad to do it. Maybe you already do if you're buying powder.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A three-block-thick barrier of bricks, snow, clay, wood, or anything else that isn't stone, sand, or grass will stop biome progression. You can create sheltered areas this way. Put some dirt in them, grow some grass on it, and place sunflowers. Each sunflower reduces the corruption/crimson rating of housings in its area, so you can get your NPCs back in your base and prepare for getting the clentaminator to do the cleanup for real.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Sir, I hate to bother you but have you ever considered how exactly someone is to enter your dungeon?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was generated like this? The ocean can overwrite the dungeon?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

It was generated like this? The ocean can overwrite the dungeon?

Worldgen seems to have more hiccups in 1.3, like areas where two biomes are supposed to meet, but one of them spawned a cave, so it's just a bunch of floating blocks.

Honestly that submerged dungeon looks cool, unless cultists won't spawn on it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Spergminer posted:

Honestly that submerged dungeon looks cool, unless cultists won't spawn on it.

I just tested it and they won't. Even when I drilled a path into the dungeon they wouldn't. Also, the dungeon had an insanely low spawn rate. I checked the other side of the world and there wasn't some weird dungeon there either. The way it was generated it looks like there was a shaft half-formed and then the sand decided it was having none of this and filled the gap.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

got into the temple on our multiplayer server and it dead ends with no entrance to the altar. however you can see the altar from the outside

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dareon posted:

I'm building an arsenal. I can already tell it's going to be a bitch and a half.

Hahah. Heheheh. Hehehheheheheheh. :unsmigghh::hf::getin:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Maybe I am. :ohdear:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Groetgaffel posted:

Maybe I am. :ohdear:

Voodoo Dolls seriously need to stack, dammit.

I mean, I understand why they don't, but it should be easy to work around.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just get rid of excess dolls by tossing them in the convenient nearby magma.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Is there an easy way to get bait? I'm working on building a PDA so I need all the fishing reward crap and I'm having problems keeping stocked up. Just running around with the bug net isn't very effective.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Is there an easy way to get bait? I'm working on building a PDA so I need all the fishing reward crap and I'm having problems keeping stocked up. Just running around with the bug net isn't very effective.

Crates. Get a small amount of bait from elsewhere, chug a crate potion, and fish up a bunch of crates. You should get more bait from the crates than you use to get the crates.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Even if you do happen to run out, enchanted worms are relatively easy to get in large quantities. They are decent enough to use while you restock bait.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Fireflys spawn like crazy if you have a bug net. As soon as you start doing fishing quests and turning it in each day, you'll get the three ball baits non-stop.

By the time I got the last item (Sextant) I had over 95 Master Baits. Good news is it took me less than 50 fishing quests to get the pda.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
When it rains I'd camp out in my base with a bug net running back and forth scooping up the worms/walking fish(to sell) that spawn from the grass tiles. I got a stack of 35+ one night but never had to use them all because of what you get from crates. I'm also pretty sure drinking a battle potion makes more pop up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Start a new world. Run along the surface breaking all the background breakables (bushes etc) and scooping up the worms. Then glue stars to their backs to make Enchanted Nightcrawlers - you should be able to get a couple of dozen from a world and they've got ~7 uses each.

Also, using a Sonar potion drastically reduces your bait usage. Don't pull the line in until it's attached to the fish you want.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Battle potions and water candles increase spawn rate (not just enemy spawn rate) and being near a lot of NPC homes suppress enemy spawn, so you end up with a lot of critter spawning. Peace candles cancel out the water candles, though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Who the gently caress approved this.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
me

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oh cool, more re-purposed Minecraft toys. :laugh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's the price that gets me, really.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's the price that gets me, really.

Five times as expensive as the actual game!

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

flowinprose posted:

Five times as expensive as the actual game!

Not only that, but it looks loving awful.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Does it go for like $5 on sale nowadays? It doesn't even come with bosses

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Terraria toys been going around for a while now, basically being shittier Minecraft toys. I don't think there's a single one that features content post-hardmode, which probably speaks to what demographic they're aiming for with these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVNSytgM730

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bluhman posted:

Terraria toys been going around for a while now, basically being shittier Minecraft toys. I don't think there's a single one that features content post-hardmode, which probably speaks to what demographic they're aiming for with these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVNSytgM730

What, the demographic of children who know what Terraria is and have $65 to throw around?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What, the demographic of children who know what Terraria is and have $65 to throw around? parents that are rich, don't know about minecraft, and are willing to spend 65$ on them?

Generally yeah.

Never said it was a good business plan, but that's the impression I get. Of course, it certainly worked well for Minecraft right?

This is somehow despite this game having enemies and characters that explode in gory decapitated pieces of meat upon death due to a setting that defaults to on, and it should also be said that Re-logic basically had a manufacturing company named Jazwares do all this for them (who actually also do minecraft toys as it turns out), so go figure.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I would have thought the target demographic was more "Rich grandparents that know Timmy likes those mine things" and "Helicopter Luddites".

See also: Angry Birds playset, Words With Friends boardgame. Not Scrabble, literally Words With Friends: The Boardgame.