Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Forgot to mention, Ellen Page Jodie comes really close (Maybe depending on choices?) to getting outright raped like 3 separate times in Beyond: Two Souls also. That game was pretty miserable at times remembering it, goddamn. Please refer to my previous ending statement.

There's an audio clip where you hear her actually being raped in the bar scene in the game files.

EDIT: You can hear them here.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Danaru posted:

Is this that game where the devs flipped the gently caress out telling all gamers to die on twitter, and how it was everyone's fault but theirs that the gameplay was awful? I remember seeing the freak out but never actually saw what game it was based around.

yes

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ekster posted:

There's an audio clip where you hear her actually being raped in the bar scene in the game files.

I guess I should at least be thankful that teen gangrape was too far even for David Cage to include in the end :shepicide:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

ok, is there a good LP to Beyond (i know there was a goon LP but it was really terrible and weird and there was drama involved?) and what is the basic storyline again? i know Helen Paige is a super secretive psychic agent but that's about it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ekster posted:

EDIT: You can hear them

why would you seek this out and link it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok, is there a good LP to Beyond (i know there was a goon LP but it was really terrible and weird and there was drama involved?) and what is the basic storyline again? i know Helen Paige is a super secretive psychic agent but that's about it

Two Best Friends have an LP that's them laughing at it/rightfully making GBS threads on David Cage nearly the whole time. I'd highly recommend it.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

poptart_fairy posted:

hey man don't poo poo on tcrf they got a difficult job

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Because I want you all to suffer as much as I did.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yardbomb posted:

Two Best Friends have an LP that's them laughing at it/rightfully making GBS threads on David Cage nearly the whole time. I'd highly recommend it.

nice i'll check that out

Ekster posted:

Because I want you all to suffer as much as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1LzruO-eUU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm glad we could all bond here today over the impressive horror that is David Cage's writing. :haw:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
cage doesn't explain the origami figures left behind because he thinks that a macguffin is a thing you can put into the story that you don't explain and you can do it one per story.

I'd argue sam barlowe (shatmemz/herstory) is also a bad writer but I'm mostly importing my opinions from voidburger.
It's frustrating to me that these are the games celebrated as being deep stories when they'd be laughable if presented in any other medium and they don't really have the interactivity to excuse that.

e: no ones going to start screaming at me for disliking those games from secondhand experience, right? i admit they might be fun games to play but cage is a terrible writer. being careful because in another thread some guy started screaming his lungs out at me for not liking chrono cross for killing all the cool chrono trigger guys despite not having played the game

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 29, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ekster posted:

EDIT: You can hear them here.

I was surprised this didn't happen in the game since everything else about that scene was setting up, uh, Silent Witness I think is the movie name? An homage like that is right up David Cage's alley.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

e: no ones going to start screaming at me for disliking those games from secondhand experience, right? i admit they might be fun games to play but cage is a terrible writer. being careful because in another thread some guy started screaming his lungs out at me for not liking chrono cross for killing all the cool chrono trigger guys despite not having played the game

no your post pretty much hit the nail on the head about what a failure "cinematic" games are. there's barely any game to play.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Madison (David Cage likes White Lingerie)

Madison is The Girl. she is a reporter with a cool motorbike, and she has night anxieties or whatever, her personality is unimportant. she has zero significance to the plot except for two things:

one, she showers, strips at gunpoint for a fat man, and has sex with Ethan. she wears white lingerie

two, she goes "investigate" and then gets kidnapped and nearly killed by serial killers, inadvertently killing them in the process if you play well. technically, madison is the 1st character of HR, since she was in the Demo. she fights a serial killer there

Madison is special in that her death does not affect the plot.When she discovers OK's identity, it comes to naught because the main characters have found out in their own ways. if she survives to the end she contributes to OK's death, but other characters can do that too. so yes Madison is useless except being The Girl

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Acne Rain posted:

It's frustrating to me that these are the games celebrated as being deep stories when they'd be laughable if presented in any other medium and they don't really have the interactivity to excuse that.
I'm trying to think of a game that's touted for having a deep story that isn't specifically about the pains of taking care of a child or other family member, and I'm having trouble thinking of one.

I mean, you can complain about plot holes and characters not being very fleshed out as much as you want, but the average person isn't judging the quality of a story based on those things, they're basing it on emotional experience. And Heavy Rain is pretty intense with its emotions.

I think this rule applies to other mediums as well, honestly.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I was surprised this didn't happen in the game since everything else about that scene was setting up, uh, Silent Witness I think is the movie name? An homage like that is right up David Cage's alley.

Well, given that Aiden nearly chokes a kid to death for rubbing Jodie's face in with snow, it would've been really weird if Aiden didn't intervene.

EDIT:

Note that Ethan literally pulls out a gun in that scene and shoots himself. It's amazing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:stonk: Jesus loving christ

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Acne Rain posted:

I'd argue sam barlowe (shatmemz/herstory) is also a bad writer but I'm mostly importing my opinions from voidburger.
Nah, Her Story is a really good example of a video game narrative that gets the player involved. And while SM wasn't perfect it was still ambitious and did a good number of things well. There's a just part of the SH fandom that just has a really weird hateboner for all the non-Japanese dev teams that worked on SH, especially guys like Tomm Hulett. (Probably because they were easy scapegoats, and it clearly wasn't Konami's fault, nope.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Acne Rain posted:

There's an ongoing problem at the moment concerning that. Interactive storytelling requires a different approach than any other kind, since it needs to cover a lot of different potentialities; there's a good example of this in Until Dawn, with how entire conversations can change depending upon what clues you have and haven't found. In an interactive work, you cannot depend on the player to have found everything (and probably shouldn't design the game as if they have, lest you be seen as having spoon-fed it to the player), you can't assume they have. It's why a lot of questions about plot holes in even relatively simple games can often be answered by citing some random detail that the player simply happened to miss.

In a real way, people are still honing this as a skill and process, and one of the reasons people talk about David Cage at all is because he's willing to hang his rear end out there for it. I don't like his games at all, but he's basically building an entire career out of being the ambitious negative example. He's loving up so you don't have to.

As such, I think it's important to not compare interactive story games to what happens in any other medium, because it's very different. A movie, book, play, television show, or more linear game can indulge itself in simply being a point A to point B ride; an interactive story has to account for a lot of other factors based upon choices, style of play, and the player's reflexes or skill level, and it has to do so to a certain extent lest it be perceived as too linear. It also has to overcome this bizarre stigma from the gamer community for being "not a game" or a "walking simulator," because there are a lot of stupid, mouthy people who resent being made to think about anything besides kill counts or inventory management.

Remember, this is still a very young art form, relatively speaking. We're only about twenty to thirty years in, and even movies are over a century old. When it comes to video game storytelling, unless a developer actively rips off film and TV's toolset, this is the silent era.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean that would be a more interesting premise so i don't see why you'd even question that. gone home has stupid red herrings about this creepy old guy into the occult or whatever and sets it during a dark and stormy night when it's a coming of age story about young love and a family drifting apart.

It'd be a more gruesome premise, or at least a more acceptably mainstream one. It wouldn't automatically be more interesting. You'd still be exploring a particularly nasty crime scene long after the fact, when there's no risk of personal danger; you'd just be digging up tissue samples and bullet holes rather than SNES cartridges and shampoo bottles.

A lot of the complaints about Gone Home, aside from its high price tag, seem to be coming from a bizarre, shallow place in the complainant's mind, where it suddenly isn't a game unless it checks off at least one of the complainant's boxes. When you get right down to it, Gone Home is The 7th Guest, except the "puzzle" is "Where is everybody?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the game in my av/user name tells a story better than any of those "story games" because it does so understanding the medium of video games is different than a book or movie. these story games want to be books/movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's exacerbated by Gone Home being first person and not focusing on the checklist of "guns? killing people? horror gore?" Remember even METROID PRIME got flak for just being some baby game and not a real person's video game or whatever before it came out.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

When is someone going to make another game that lets you pick up and examine practically every single object in a series of rooms in painstaking detail. Because I would buy and play the poo poo out of it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

When is someone going to make another game that lets you pick up and examine practically every single object in a series of rooms in painstaking detail. Because I would buy and play the poo poo out of it.

Cradle looks like it is that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Firewatch, should be rad. (It also may or may not end up being a horror game.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

the game in my av/user name tells a story better than any of those "story games" because it does so understanding the medium of video games is different than a book or movie. these story games want to be books/movies.

Nah, son. The only way in which that criticism has merit is if the game isn't taking advantage of its interactivity. Otherwise, you're gatekeeping out of personal dislike, and that's you being intensely stupid.

When a game deliberately makes its story its point, as opposed to the story being something wrapped around the actual point, you want to give the player the ability to change or dig into that story. In Telltale games, you can change your protagonist and his/her reactions to the story unfolding around them; in Gone Home, the story's already happened, but you have to figure it all out for yourself at your own pace through deduction; in Until Dawn, you change the story itself through your choices. All are valid; none would be dramatically improved by being a book or a movie, because that essential interactivity would be gone.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's exacerbated by Gone Home being first person and not focusing on the checklist of "guns? killing people? horror gore?" Remember even METROID PRIME got flak for just being some baby game and not a real person's video game or whatever before it came out.

Yeah, I'll never understand the impulse for people to want to limit the things they enjoy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wanderer posted:

Nah, son. The only way in which that criticism has merit is if the game isn't taking advantage of its interactivity. Otherwise, you're gatekeeping out of personal dislike, and that's you being intensely stupid.

lmao what. nah what I said was right on the money but I guess I can see why walking simulators keep getting made if people just want barely interactive movies or the video game equiv of choose your own adventure books (which i guess are sorta related).

the story already occurred in dark souls btw

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao what. nah what I said was right on the money but I guess I can see why walking simulators keep getting made if people just want barely interactive movies or the video game equiv of choose your own adventure books (which i guess are sorta related).

I would not have liked Gone Home if it had been a book or a movie. It's just exploring a house and reading documents, but there's a difference between being able to do that yourself and watching someone else do it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Acne Rain posted:

cage doesn't explain the origami figures left behind because he thinks that a macguffin is a thing you can put into the story that you don't explain and you can do it one per story.

That's not what a macguffin means. And you gave no argument why you dislike Sam Barlows writing (which I do think have problems too). Also your weird defensiveness is weird af

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wanton Spoon posted:

I would not have liked Gone Home if it had been a book or a movie. It's just exploring a house and reading documents, but there's a difference between being able to do that yourself and watching someone else do it.

i wouldn't have liked heavy rain as a book or a movie but that still doesn't make it a good or well made video game.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wouldn't have liked heavy rain as a book or a movie but that still doesn't make it a good or well made video game.

My point is that I did like it as a game, even if you didn't like it as any of those three things. It doesn't need to be transformed into a movie just because you don't like it as a game. It doesn't work as it is unless it's a game.

Is part of the issue here just terminology? Would it help if we didn't call them "video games"? The only reason we call them that is because they grew out of video games, but it's true that they don't focus on the "game" aspect as much as most video games do. They're not movies either, though, and wouldn't work better as movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my real reason for disliking it is it wasn't worth 20 bucks.

i guess we could just call them simulators. flight simulators aren't really games or even fun except for plane spergs.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

That's fair

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Lol

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Every video game is equivalent to the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. It's simply that the choice is usually "Do I fail my current objective?" (where "objective" typically means your own personal survival, but it may change) and you make it five thousand times in a row.

You're scrambling to try to dismiss a genre built around emergent gameplay and player choice based upon your own biases, mostly because you seem to be pretty dumb. There's no merit to your position on this, and the faster you realize that, the better off you're going to be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wanderer posted:

Every video game is equivalent to the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. It's simply that the choice is usually "Do I fail my current objective?" (where "objective" typically means your own personal survival, but it may change) and you make it five thousand times in a row.

You're scrambling to try to dismiss a genre built around emergent gameplay and player choice based upon your own biases, mostly because you seem to be pretty dumb. There's no merit to your position on this, and the faster you realize that, the better off you're going to be.

edit: oh i got trolled gg i am dumb

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 29, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

That's not what a macguffin means. And you gave no argument why you dislike Sam Barlows writing (which I do think have problems too). Also your weird defensiveness is weird af

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/19/interview-spoiling-heavy-rain-with-david-cage/

quote:

How about the Origami figure in Ethan's hand when he wakes up? I can't explain that.

I can. [laughs]

Would you like to explain it to me?

Uh ... no.

... Okay.

Actually, no, because this is what Hitchcock calls a MacGuffin. He said a very interesting rule is that you can only have one MacGuffin in a story. A MacGuffin is something that is not explained. And one is okay -- if you have three, then that story doesn't make any sense. But if you have something where you leave the audience space to, you know, try to understand and make up their own answers for that, that's fine. And I thought that worked in the context of Heavy Rain, not to explain but have people figure it out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

my real reason for disliking it is it wasn't worth 20 bucks.

i guess we could just call them simulators. flight simulators aren't really games or even fun except for plane spergs.

You could've just opened with this and saved everyone the headache of reading your posts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Isn't a MaxGuffin supposed to be an item that drives the plot? In that case the origami isn't a MacGuffin, they are just objective markers. The game doesn't have a solitary thing they are chasing, beside the kid himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Isn't a MaxGuffin supposed to be an item that drives the plot? In that case the origami isn't a MacGuffin, they are just objective markers. The game doesn't have a solitary thing they are chasing, beside the kid himself

ding ding ding, a macguffin is the thing everyone wants.
you know more about writing than david cage.