Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Maybe when they make you king poo poo of Shadowbane 2 you can KOS me or some poo poo nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

John Dyne posted:

Public quests were repeatable, ranked, and were little events done in stages. Scenarios were basically instanced public quests but with a smaller group of people and never, ever touched after MoP. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB8ZuMDFhY

Not the best example but you basically killed the guards trying to stop the ritual, then got poo poo to help the ritual, then fought a boss and got bonus poo poo for how much you actually participated. That right there is like one of the first ones you can do, I think the higher level ones were cooler and more involved but I may be misremembering.

Are there any good Warhammer online private servers around?

I quite enjoyed it when it was out just it died so quickly

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Wildstar news:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/28/wildstar-previews-its-halloween-event-shades-eve/

They are getting a Halloween event! Their first actual holiday themed event (despite the game being out for over a year now). :confuoot:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Truth posted:

Are people going to talk about this bad game in this even worse thread, how many pages do I have to go back to read about this bad game.

calm down

the thread is just waiting for news

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Gildiss posted:

UO did it first and did it best. If you didn't experience the golden age of UO, then I'm sorry, you will never have had a truly good time.

e: playing MMOs, that is, which are bad.

Ultima Online had its own special little brand of poo poo. But you're right that it has almost nothing in common with any of the games we recognize as "MMOs" today. No levels, no content gating, no quests, no instances, no raids, no groups, no bosses, no gearscore. People made their own content and it was terrible and weird and broken, but drat if it wasn't interesting.

UO also did random events every once in a while. Like they'd have GMs just spawn orcs to attack a town for an hour. You could log in and get swept up in some crazy one-off poo poo by some bored GM that would never be repeated. I have no idea why no other game has stolen that idea.

UO was the epitome of "you just had to be there".

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Thursday Next posted:

Ultima Online had its own special little brand of poo poo. But you're right that it has almost nothing in common with any of the games we recognize as "MMOs" today. No levels, no content gating, no quests, no instances, no raids, no groups, no bosses, no gearscore. People made their own content and it was terrible and weird and broken, but drat if it wasn't interesting.

UO also did random events every once in a while. Like they'd have GMs just spawn orcs to attack a town for an hour. You could log in and get swept up in some crazy one-off poo poo by some bored GM that would never be repeated. I have no idea why no other game has stolen that idea.

UO was the epitome of "you just had to be there".

EQ had some things like that. I was a GM for EQ and was part of their 'acting troupe' or whatever they called it then, which meant I helped do events and all that and was allowed to do them on my own.

I think I still have my GM manual laying around here somewhere. This being back in like 2000 of course I printed the whole loving thing off.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Flesh Forge posted:

Holy poo poo I think you might have understood me!

Oh no you didn't never mind.

Notice the second one wasn't quoting you

I'm a bit confused about why you're posting so much when you clearly hate the some of the fundamental concepts behind MMOs.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Gildiss posted:

UO did it first and did it best. If you didn't experience the golden age of UO, then I'm sorry, you will never have had a truly good time.

e: playing MMOs, that is, which are bad.

Ah yes, the golden age where I would go to the most remote area I could find so no one would see and report me, then I'd put a stapler on my keyboard and walk away, afk training whatever skill I needed raised to a decent level.

Truly a better time for MMOs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Notice the second one wasn't quoting you

I'm a bit confused about why you're posting so much when you clearly hate the some of the fundamental concepts behind MMOs.

I'm sorry I misunderstood you then. I'm posting in this thread because I love some of the fundamental concepts behind MMOs and hate some others, and would be super happy if they could evolve instead of being stuck in the Everquest paradigm, which Wildstar is a flawless exemplar of so it seems to me to be a good place :shrug:

ps im gay

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anoia posted:

Ah yes, the golden age where I would go to the most remote area I could find so no one would see and report me, then I'd put a stapler on my keyboard and walk away, afk training whatever skill I needed raised to a decent level.

Yeah UO was a fun game AFTER you maxed your poo poo, but it was grindy as gently caress and while it may not have had traditional levels it sure as gently caress required you to have certain skills at 100. I remember my cousin trying to get me into it and he was like 'okay we'll cast fire wall and you run through it a few times, we need you to build your magic resistance up for ganks.'

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

John Dyne posted:

Yeah UO was a fun game AFTER you maxed your poo poo, but it was grindy as gently caress and while it may not have had traditional levels it sure as gently caress required you to have certain skills at 100. I remember my cousin trying to get me into it and he was like 'okay we'll cast fire wall and you run through it a few times, we need you to build your magic resistance up for ganks.'

Good game design is when people enjoy your game a lot.

Great game design is when your game is indistinguishable from your best friend or family member pranking you.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
UO is great because sandbox pvp mmos, the most hilarious failure prone game type of all, exist because people remember pre-trammel uo and don't realise that the carebears getting ganked don't fondly remember the experience.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Guild Wars 2 has a lot of neat ideas and the fundamental concept behind them is great. The game on the other hand is poo poo. The combat is awful, and as far as I can remember the best way to beat dungeons was to exploit them. Maybe this improved? But then I also hate the whole stack damage stats to have 1 hp and hope you never gently caress up a dodge.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Anoia posted:

The beauty of UO is that you didn't have to have max skills to gently caress with people or ruin their day.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

I remember reading that EQ1 had GM-run events like that, and there were problems with consistency and drama coming from favoritism?

In addition to that, WoW taught me that the majority of MMO players hate disruptive, spontaneous world events. While its special Zombie Infestation pre-expansion event wasn't a spur of the moment thing from a GM, it was done in the same spirit. Many players loved it, but the majority of the feedback Blizzard got was negative. They've never done something as daring since.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Mizuti posted:

I remember reading that EQ1 had GM-run events like that, and there were problems with consistency and drama coming from favoritism?

In addition to that, WoW taught me that the majority of MMO players hate disruptive, spontaneous world events. While its special Zombie Infestation pre-expansion event wasn't a spur of the moment thing from a GM, it was done in the same spirit. Many players loved it, but the majority of the feedback Blizzard got was negative. They've never done something as daring since.

There was a whole host of drama in the EQ acting troupe, but as far as players were concerned, we kept notes on their accounts so we could see who had gotten rewarded when (and thus were able to spread things around.) Also the way some of the events were structured caused their own issues. There was one time we were giving out a one-per-server weapon that absolutely required the recipient to be a worshipper of a given god, and the only guy we managed to find was kind of a clueless doofus. It took like five other players to clue him in on what to do every step while the actors desperately tried to attract someone better, but in the end, that guy got something shiny solely by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. :v:

I was one of the designers behind the Zombie Infestation in WoW (though not the main one), and it had some issues too (Sanctuary zones kinda broke it). I always found it hilarious that people thought we ended it early, though. We had it planned for a week, it ran for a week. We weren't going to keep people away from their auction houses for more than a day or two in the worst-case scenario. Incredibly polarizing event -- people tended to either love it or absolutely loathe it -- and was really fascinating to watch unfold from a design perspective.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mizuti posted:

Ever since the emerald world dragons were a thing the most fun you could have in vanilla wow was to kite one to orgrimma and have it destabilise the zone until a GM got rid of it and you got a few days vacation. Blizzard decided that having Kazzak spawn in capital cities and do similar but worse was a great idea. The TBC launch event owned.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Cyster posted:

There was a whole host of drama in the EQ acting troupe, but as far as players were concerned, we kept notes on their accounts so we could see who had gotten rewarded when (and thus were able to spread things around.) Also the way some of the events were structured caused their own issues. There was one time we were giving out a one-per-server weapon that absolutely required the recipient to be a worshipper of a given god, and the only guy we managed to find was kind of a clueless doofus. It took like five other players to clue him in on what to do every step while the actors desperately tried to attract someone better, but in the end, that guy got something shiny solely by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. :v:

I was one of the designers behind the Zombie Infestation in WoW (though not the main one), and it had some issues too (Sanctuary zones kinda broke it). I always found it hilarious that people thought we ended it early, though. We had it planned for a week, it ran for a week. We weren't going to keep people away from their auction houses for more than a day or two in the worst-case scenario. Incredibly polarizing event -- people tended to either love it or absolutely loathe it -- and was really fascinating to watch unfold from a design perspective.

Now this is good stuff. Old GM and Community horror stories are fun reads for me.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cyster posted:

I liked how hunters who turned undead kept their pets before it was patched out. I got a GM warning because I grabbed a zombie bear pet and absolutely shut down a minor lowbie zone while mostly doing nothing. Sure it ruined maybe 12 minutes of play time for other people, but I still remember that fondly.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Eimi posted:

Guild Wars 2 has a lot of neat ideas and the fundamental concept behind them is great. The game on the other hand is poo poo. The combat is awful, and as far as I can remember the best way to beat dungeons was to exploit them. Maybe this improved? But then I also hate the whole stack damage stats to have 1 hp and hope you never gently caress up a dodge.
The one thing I really hate about GW2's combat is that they expect you to look for tells in the enemy's attack animation so you dodge the really powerful move hits. This works well enough in solo play since enemies tend to have a special flourish added to their "This is gonna hurt" attacks, but when there's like 100 differents spell effects flying all over the place it becomes very much guesswork. I think the most annoying was when I was fighting some plant enemies and the vines had one very damaging attack, but since I had like six NPCs for the story quest it was hard to see their already vague animations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rorus Raz posted:

The one thing I really hate about GW2's combat is that they expect you to look for tells in the enemy's attack animation so you dodge the really powerful move hits. This works well enough in solo play since enemies tend to have a special flourish added to their "This is gonna hurt" attacks, but when there's like 100 differents spell effects flying all over the place it becomes very much guesswork. I think the most annoying was when I was fighting some plant enemies and the vines had one very damaging attack, but since I had like six NPCs for the story quest it was hard to see their already vague animations.

This is an issue but the problem isn't the fact that the combat expects you to look for enemy tells. That part in itself is awesome. The issue is that the enemy sizes and their telegraphs are not visible enough like you mentioned.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
EQ2 had GM run events too, and it was one of my fondest memories of the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So far all I'm getting out of this thread is "i'm old and wish sandbox MMOs were still popular".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

All MMOs are terrible, some are slightly less terrible. Even the ones that do some things right go and do some things wrong.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Xavier434 posted:

This is an issue but the problem isn't the fact that the combat expects you to look for enemy tells. That part in itself is awesome. The issue is that the enemy sizes and their telegraphs are not visible enough like you mentioned.

The Fractal Dungeons are where this issue made the game completely unfun for me. The Mai Trin fight is the highlight of a neat idea ruined by the lack of visual clarity.

Argas posted:

All MMOs are terrible, some are slightly less terrible. Even the ones that do some things right go and do some things wrong.

If your title is to be believed, you like SRW so your argument is invalid. :colbert:

I kid, but SRW's been sliding since Alpha 3

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So far all I'm getting out of this thread is "i'm old and wish sandbox MMOs were still popular".
I wish MMOs were illegal

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Eimi posted:

"Okay, we're now gonna climb up those pipes and wedge ourselves into this opening underneath that platform so the boss and the adds can't reach us and that fight goes faster." It still took ten minutes. Can't remember a game where people exploited so much to just get through the dungeons and it still was a pain and took forever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I wish MMOs were illegal

But just think of how many serial killers and sex offenders can't be bothered to go out because they're busy leveling their 10th Paladin.

Vanderdeath posted:

I kid, but SRW's been sliding since Alpha 3

Super... Ripple Waves?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Anatharon posted:

Super... Ripple Waves?

Super Robot Wars

Vanderdeath posted:

The Fractal Dungeons are where this issue made the game completely unfun for me. The Mai Trin fight is the highlight of a neat idea ruined by the lack of visual clarity.

Fractals are both some of the best and some of the worst for me. There's loads of little encounters and challenges that they present and they're usually interesting and fun. Until they become straightforward combat encounters.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Morglon posted:

"Okay, we're now gonna climb up those pipes and wedge ourselves into this opening underneath that platform so the boss and the adds can't reach us and that fight goes faster." It still took ten minutes. Can't remember a game where people exploited so much to just get through the dungeons and it still was a pain and took forever.

This was a big reason for quitting Neverwinter, for me. Pubbies insisted on running 'shortcuts' and exploits that still meant a slow chore of a fight.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Bieeardo posted:

This was a big reason for quitting Neverwinter, for me. Pubbies insisted on running 'shortcuts' and exploits that still meant a slow chore of a fight.

Still had nothing on Guild Wars but I had groups insist we bug out temple of the spider for an hour without trying it legit even once. Neverwinter really is a close second there though, it was doable when cleric poo poo stacked and you just stood in the yellow and blue circle all day but once they fixed that dungeons just weren't worth doing anymore.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I loved the WoW zombie event. I remember camping out in that special section of the Stormwind Mage Tower and infecting people as soon as they zoned in, chanting "one of us, one of us."

Most played along and turned it into a glorious hallway of death, but like 1/4 of the people who came through were furious at us and would explode immediately upon turning because they hated fun.

I still have the Undead Slaying glamoured set on my Rogue even though it looks like pixelated crap now.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The zombie event was unironically the most fun I have ever had in an MMO.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morglon posted:

~*Wildstar*~

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The GW2 ice dungeon was the silliest because you could exploit to do get the rewards for doing all three paths in the same time it took to do one normally.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
GW2 becoming truly free to play (instead of buy to play) just today adds another hilarious angle to the Wildstar F2P geometry.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

I didn't mind Neverwinter's content tremendously (at least up to the early 60 dungeons, gently caress all the farming required for the upper tier ones) but what made me lose interest was that there's pretty much no character diversity within classes. There's basically one or two good feat paths for each class (sometimes only one). Once you've done one of each it's basically a massively multiplayer currency collection simulator.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pierson posted:

GW2 becoming truly free to play (instead of buy to play) just today adds another hilarious angle to the Wildstar F2P geometry.

and on top of that it is easily the best F2P model I have seen to date. Very generous while taking a lot of smart precautions to handle abuse, gold spamming, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

This has not strictly improved yet, though they're apparently trying to make group PvE more varied and dynamic with raids. They said at the announcement that they want to make sure support, control, and damage are all equally important roles. I'll believe it when I see it, though I'm cautiously optimistic.

Stacking damage stats hasn't changed at all. At least some professions can now stack different damage stats if they want. The recent buffs to conditions and the addition of Sinister gear (Condition Damage/Power/Precision, emphasis on Condition Damage) have enabled Engineer and Necromancer to have some very strong condition builds (extremely strong in the Engineer's case). That said, if you run with goons, nobody really gives much of a gently caress what stats you stack, which is nice, and while we do a lot of skips, we tend not to do the really exploity/tricky ones, just because people are guaranteed to gently caress up and then it'll just take longer than doing it legit. And in general, the community's advice is "stack as many damage stats as you can without dying," because you don't do very good DPS if you're dead, and there are plenty of players who don't insist that you run "meta" builds.

I generally like the combat, or at least the feel of it, though, so read my comments through that bias. It's no Vindictus, but I enjoy it just on a "it's fun to play" level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Anoia posted:

I loved the WoW zombie event. I remember camping out in that special section of the Stormwind Mage Tower and infecting people as soon as they zoned in, chanting "one of us, one of us."

Most played along and turned it into a glorious hallway of death, but like 1/4 of the people who came through were furious at us and would explode immediately upon turning because they hated fun.

I still have the Undead Slaying glamoured set on my Rogue even though it looks like pixelated crap now.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

The zombie event was unironically the most fun I have ever had in an MMO.

People keep bringing up the WoW zombie event and talking about how awesome it was, but no one mentions that it was the only time the alliance and the horde could have been on the same team. It even broke through the language barrier. Truly the most peaceful movement of our time.

• Locked thread