Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- try telling a recruiter that you use *extremely impotent voice* free open source alternatives to the programs they already bought & installed on your desktop. try watching the IT staff roll their eyes as they pass out from your linux BO. bitcoins.

'I've been using Photopsop (copyright sign) since I'm 8 years old, when my parents who work in content creation got strangers to buy it for me [/quote]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Manky posted:

Scott eVest has been around for fifteen years now. I thought they were the coolest as a teenager in the 00s.

Plus that guy clowned the Shark Tank "investors" so hard.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

unpacked robinhood posted:

'I've been using Photopsop (copyright sign) since I'm 8 years old, when my parents who work in content creation got strangers to buy it for me

But did you see his wittle picture!!! He's dressed like a lil' Steve Jobs dawwww! :3:

:homebrew:

Also it specifically says "coding", where did photoshop and all this come in to it anyway? Why would he need to learn Photoshop, is he going to be a programmer as well as an award winning artist? Is your friend's child some sort of savant? I'm fairly certain real jobs in the industry don't require programmers or engineers to be able to produce art themselves, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

This Kickstarter is just as bad as all the others with idiots who "Want to learn to [...]" but use other people's money to buy expensive software instead of learning, and seeing if they even enjoy it or want to learn, with free alternatives. With the proper inclination and determination this kid could learn all the programming he needs for no cost at all, yet his parents are holding out their little tin cup for donations because reasons. And it's most likely getting funded purely because it's a wittle kid and he's so cute in his Steve Jobs outfit awwwwww!

Mommy and daddy are going to really dig their new entertainment center, that's for sure. I assume that's the "hardware" that was mentioned, that or new rims or something.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They're gonna buy a vent hood and open a hot dog stand in Bumfuck, Alabama.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

But did you see his wittle picture!!! He's dressed like a lil' Steve Jobs dawwww! :3:

:homebrew:

Also it specifically says "coding", where did photoshop and all this come in to it anyway? Why would he need to learn Photoshop, is he going to be a programmer as well as an award winning artist? Is your friend's child some sort of savant? I'm fairly certain real jobs in the industry don't require programmers or engineers to be able to produce art themselves, so I'm not sure what that's all about.

This Kickstarter is just as bad as all the others with idiots who "Want to learn to [...]" but use other people's money to buy expensive software instead of learning, and seeing if they even enjoy it or want to learn, with free alternatives. With the proper inclination and determination this kid could learn all the programming he needs for no cost at all, yet his parents are holding out their little tin cup for donations because reasons. And it's most likely getting funded purely because it's a wittle kid and he's so cute in his Steve Jobs outfit awwwwww!

Mommy and daddy are going to really dig their new entertainment center, that's for sure. I assume that's the "hardware" that was mentioned, that or new rims or something.

jeez. Relax. You are going to have a hear attack over an 8 year old. I only expect that from jared.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Foxhound posted:

I'm looking for an old-rear end Kickstarter. I think it was made not long after the whole crowdfunding thing got traction. It was made by a guy who had won $50 millions in the lottery and decided to put in 1(?) million towards an MMORPG and wanted another 100 or something from a kickstarter. The game had the usual feature bloat with crafting, raiding, massive world, housing etc etc. Essentially the WoW-killer game we've seen again and again, accompanied by pictures stolen from a game-maker software. The guy's head look like a pear, no joke. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Elwood "Bunky" Barlett.

The thread's been linked already but oh my is it worth a read. He is a ham of a man with the iq of a table, who happened to win $42mm in a lottery. He's one of the stupidest people I've read about, and I read the entire Benny the Snake thread.

don't worry; by now he has lost every dollar of his winnings. I believe he still lives in the mansion, but his son is broke as a joke and the whole party stopped years ago.

Edit: I'm not quite correct. Since winning the lottery, he tried to open a Wicca school (failed, never opened), a record label (failed, the artist refused to sleep with him), and a pizza parlor (still around and doing okay). The Sun article says he self-reports having about 15mm left in the bank about three years ago. Considering he went from 42 to 15 in only five years, I'd be surprised if he has more than a few million left.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/23/3543470/debunked-the-strange-ride-of-millionaire-game-developer-bunky-bartlett

I am fascinated by stories of amazingly dense people given megaphones.

Thursday Next has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Aug 20, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

I hadn't read about that before, awesome.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mulva posted:

Those guys seem to be make lots of missteps. I was reading an article on Ring, a smart doorbell that notifies your smartphone or tablet via WiFi when someone is ringing the door (or on your doorstep, since it has a motion detector) with a video feed that will show you who is at the door.

Anyway, the founder had already gone on his own under the name DoorBot, making $1 million dollars in annual sales and need $700k to expand some, so he went on Shark Tank. Despite having a proven seller, the Shark Tank guys ended up passing on it. However, the exposure boosted them to $5 million in sales and led to Richard Branson becoming involved and investing $28 million into the company, allowing them to branch out into Home Depot, Target, and Lowes; rebranding it to it's current name and redesigning the device to be slimmer and more iFriendly; and add a subscription cloud service to users to store video, meaning it would allow it to provide indefinite surveillance of the main entrance to the house.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Young Freud posted:

Those guys seem to be make lots of missteps. I was reading an article on Ring, a smart doorbell that notifies your smartphone or tablet via WiFi when someone is ringing the door (or on your doorstep, since it has a motion detector) with a video feed that will show you who is at the door.

Anyway, the founder had already gone on his own under the name DoorBot, making $1 million dollars in annual sales and need $700k to expand some, so he went on Shark Tank. Despite having a proven seller, the Shark Tank guys ended up passing on it. However, the exposure boosted them to $5 million in sales and led to Richard Branson becoming involved and investing $28 million into the company, allowing them to branch out into Home Depot, Target, and Lowes; rebranding it to it's current name and redesigning the device to be slimmer and more iFriendly; and add a subscription cloud service to users to store video, meaning it would allow it to provide indefinite surveillance of the main entrance to the house.

Well, the show is less about serious investing and more about members of the capitalist class laying sick superslams on plebs begging them for money, so basically working as intended.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the clip for when he was on is amazing 'cause they act like he's in the wrong. cuban is incredibly dumb about the wiring stuff too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Groovelord Neato posted:

cuban is incredibly dumb

As someone who likes the US Shark Tank, this is pretty much all you needed to say. Mark Cuban is that guy you see who knows and loves that he is on a TV show and the attention he gets from it turns him into an rear end in a top hat (because I guess owning the Dallas Mavs and yelling angrily at someone famous every 10 minutes is not enough for him). Even Kevin O'Leary, the shrewd dude the show tries to make look like the bad guy everyone hates, is less of an rear end in a top hat sometimes than Mark Cuban. And that takes effort.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

CJacobs posted:

As someone who likes the US Shark Tank, this is pretty much all you needed to say. Mark Cuban is that guy you see who knows and loves that he is on a TV show and the attention he gets from it turns him into an rear end in a top hat (because I guess owning the Dallas Mavs and yelling angrily at someone famous every 10 minutes is not enough for him). Even Kevin O'Leary, the shrewd dude the show tries to make look like the bad guy everyone hates, is less of an rear end in a top hat sometimes than Mark Cuban. And that takes effort.

gently caress him and the 15-second shot-clock he rode in on. That being said, I love all the Dragons' Den shows I've seen, even the Aussie Shark Tank that's more American than US TV.

Need more anime in your tabletop games? Look no further!

Does look like kind of a fun game though.

e: For funding our RPG Maker Game, please accept our flaccid and overpriced rewards

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Aug 24, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Manky posted:

Scott eVest has been around for fifteen years now. I thought they were the coolest as a teenager in the 00s.

I bought a couple things from them years ago.

They were of appalling build quality and the multitude of zippers all broke within 6 months.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

kickstarder page posted:

[Screenshot: Bria, a being composed entirely of 'absent light', appears in front of the party.]

So... A loving shadow?? That's a word in the English language!

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

This almost looks ok, like in a $5 steam game kinda way, doesn't seem like the game that really needs to be kickstarted though, and the designs seem like rip offs, like blonde guy is raiden in snake's sneaking suit

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
There was a kickstarter posted here a while ago about anime boys in a cave and it was a card game? Does anyone remember what it was called

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Due out in 2018 :cawg:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Still means it'll likely be out before Star Citizen or The Winds of Winter.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Planet Piss posted:

There was a kickstarter posted here a while ago about anime boys in a cave and it was a card game? Does anyone remember what it was called

I think I know the one, the yaoi slave one? Sadly I don't have a link to it or a name. But yes that Kickstarter did exist and it looked horrifying.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nagle-industries/glowtie

The Glow-Tie, an LED bow tie. The video is really something.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Germstore posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nagle-industries/glowtie

The Glow-Tie, an LED bow tie. The video is really something.

Have to hand it to him, at least it looks like a production ready prototype, even if it looks slightly big for a bow tie. And it must have taken a lot of balls to make that pitch video, so kudos for that at least.

The main issue is the price, for a novelty gimmick 150 big ones seems pretty steep. I can easily see something this dumb in the Sharper Image or Skymall or something for around 30-40 dollars, but not 150.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:allears:

The product and kickstarter are all kinds of dumb, but that video is a piece of art.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

:allears:

The product and kickstarter are all kinds of dumb, but that video is a piece of art.
In fairness if you're the kind of person who walks around wearing a bow tie it might as well be ridiculous like this, its not like its going to reduce the vast swathes of women crawling over each other to get with bowtie man.

Not pictured: Anyone who has ever been to a an actual club other than chess club in high school.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Don't know what it is as I refuse to click lovely clickbait but I'm sure it is terrible

Features a notebook needs: paper

Features notebooks sometimes have that are useful: pen holder, hard cover, something to keep it shut

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

freelop posted:

Don't know what it is as I refuse to click lovely clickbait but I'm sure it is terrible

Features notebooks sometimes have that are useful: pen holder, hard cover, something to keep it shut

searched for this kickstarter and hit a microwallet first
:perfect:

e: oh it's the same people.

my favorite feature of a notebook is not costing 22 american dollars

Germstore has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Aug 28, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

freelop posted:

I was hoping it was some sort of troll product, like the paper was hollow in the middle for an iphone to fit in or something. That's about the only way it could do "EVERYTHING!", I mean smart devices have pretty much taken over completely from planners and notepads for most young people.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

KiddieGrinder posted:

I mean smart devices have pretty much taken over completely from planners and notepads for most young people.

This is exactly the reason why this notebook will be popular among hipsters.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"I take analog notes instead of digital"

"this is to smart devices as vinyl records are to mp3s, they're just better!"

"this carbon neutral locally sourced notepad is better for the environment than your toxic chemical laden electronics"

"when disposed of, this notepad will help nature, whereas your iphone will just poison her; why do you hate Earth?"

:shepicide:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Except Moleskine's are a thing that exist already and are already the go-to notebook for hipsters because FAMOUS PEOPLE! used them, like Hemingway, Picasso, Matisse, Van Gogh, and presumably Oscar Wilde, as well as more contemporary artists and writers. They also encourage people to make customized Moleskine covers and resale them on their website, kinda like a corporate-branded Etsy.

Germstore posted:

my favorite feature of a notebook is not costing 22 american dollars

A Moleskine notebook cost something like $13-17, which is still a steal compared to this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I maintain that the entire reason Moleskine is popular is because it allows you to put a brand name before your pocketbook/notebook etc. When you are a stupid hipster and have a notebook that is made by Moleskine, you 100% call it "my Moleskine notebook" instead of "my notebook" as you would one made by Mead or other various paper companies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How many moles must die for you hipsters?!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, the moleskine is the "Sent by my iPhone" equivalent for writing/sketching.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, the moleskine is the "Sent by my iPhone" equivalent for writing/sketching.

Pretty much. Everyone I know who uses ~*~my Moleskine notebook~*~ has been an immense wanker trying to use a trendy brand to cover up the fact they can't write/draw for poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Maluco Marinero posted:

An immediate display of incompetence or at least lack of knowledge of technical details?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tippis posted:

An immediate display of incompetence or at least lack of knowledge of technical details?

Your still investing in things that may or may not happen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Huh? Both Moleskins and iPhones have happened already. :confused:

I was thinking more of how not changing the default signature means you either have no knowledge of or no need to actually communicate the type of identity that regularly goes into a signature (and charitably guessing that the first is the more common case). Same as how, when a notebook becomes something you actually need or know how to put to good use, the model no longer matters.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I have some weird Kickstarter complaints. This article whines about the lack of transparency in the process of picking "staff favorites" on kickstarter:

quote:

The best anyone can tell you about the Staff Pick process is, ‘someone who works at Kickstarter likes a project’. This would be fine if the Staff Pick badge was equivalent of a ‘like’ on Facebook.
I'm failing to get outraged. KS is a business, and it is absolutely fine for them to run it however they choose. The Staff Pick can be whatever they want it to be.

Second thing: the FTC busted some chucklefuck who conducted what was apparently a very obviously fraudulent kickstarter campaign. What he did was bad and wrong and I am not trying to hand-wave that. My problem is the extremely uneven enforcement of these kinds punishments. I think, essentially, this was the dumbest crook on KS and not necessarily the only one. The crooks can and will get smarter, what is really needed is regulation that makes more sense and takes into account the reality of what crowdfunding really is: gambling on cheesy consumer bullshit.

Uh yep rant concluded

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You seem very angry about things in your head.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I have some weird Kickstarter complaints. This article whines about the lack of transparency in the process of picking "staff favorites" on kickstarter:

I'm failing to get outraged. KS is a business, and it is absolutely fine for them to run it however they choose. The Staff Pick can be whatever they want it to be.

I thought the Staff Pick badge was entirely bullshit and just a picture people put on their KS to scam more money out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

FillInTheBlank posted:

I thought the Staff Pick badge was entirely bullshit and just a picture people put on their KS to scam more money out of people.

Nope. There's no official badge, but there is a big Staff Picks section.

Edit: Have a list of all current staff picks. All 309 of them.

senrath has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Aug 30, 2015