Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Varkk posted:

I think it was the HANS as he felt it would slow him down and it was determined he probably would have survived if he had been wearing it as he died of the exact injury it is designed to prevent. After his death pretty much all racing series declared they were mandatory. I think in F1 it was the drivers who asked that it be in the rules as if it was not compulsory no one would wear it as not having it could give you a slight speed edge.

Right, I understand that, my point was that almost nobody in NASCAR wore HANS at the time of his death. The helmet was the thing he was a stubborn old-timer about whereas most drivers weren't wearing HANS because it was uncomfortable and there was the fear of entrapment during a fire. Then he died and everyone was like, "oh gently caress guess we'll wear it then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Not to be confused with the rabbit babies of Mary Toft.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Telemaze posted:

He said those behaviors come from the same mode of thought (and they do), not that one is exactly as bad as the other.

I just wanted to say, in the PYF Unnerving Thing thread that I love your username, avatar, and custom title.

THAT game was goddamned unnerving.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

quote:

" They were all born dead, and they were actually rabbit parts rather than whole rabbits. "

Oh WOW ok that's um.

quote:

On November 29th Mary was brought to London. By now her case had become a national sensation, and huge crowds surrounded the house where she was kept. But when kept under constant supervision, Mary stopped giving birth to rabbits, and her case quickly began to unravel.

Hmmm. Well that's one way to earn a wage. Cram bunnies up your snatch.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oi guvnah i guess you could say Miss Mary Toft had hare IN 'er oval office.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Frostwerks posted:

Oi guvnah i guess you could say Miss Mary Toft had hare IN 'er oval office.

:boom:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Telemaze posted:

He said those behaviors come from the same mode of thought (and they do), not that one is exactly as bad as the other.

One comes from the recognition that, although the people getting married are autonomous adults, they still have families who will be affected by their decision. This was true even back in the Olden Days of 1979. I happen to know a few people who still think it polite to talk it over with the families beforehand.

Raping the sisters of a young man because he eloped to marry outside his caste is cruel torture, nothing more. It will mean that they are now worthless in the eyes of their people.

Eloping in America may cause estrangement from a family, but no girls are going to be raped for it.

Cultural relativism is bullshit. "Yes, they'll be savagely raped, but it's OK because Jack asked my Robertson if he could marry Missy and the two are basically alike!" No, they are not. Because even in the days when women were more or less chattel, in the West most still had to consent to the marriage; women could not be forced to marry.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Khazar-khum posted:

One comes from the recognition that, although the people getting married are autonomous adults, they still have families who will be affected by their decision. This was true even back in the Olden Days of 1979. I happen to know a few people who still think it polite to talk it over with the families beforehand.

Raping the sisters of a young man because he eloped to marry outside his caste is cruel torture, nothing more. It will mean that they are now worthless in the eyes of their people.

Eloping in America may cause estrangement from a family, but no girls are going to be raped for it.

Cultural relativism is bullshit. "Yes, they'll be savagely raped, but it's OK because Jack asked my Robertson if he could marry Missy and the two are basically alike!" No, they are not. Because even in the days when women were more or less chattel, in the West most still had to consent to the marriage; women could not be forced to marry.

I’ll remember that the next time I’m choosing a birthplace.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kaizoku posted:

If you choose India just make sure you're born male and not a dalit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

You're not saying its OK simply because you can't choose where you're born right? Its 2015, rape as a punishment should be met with huge economic sanctions and international outreach.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're not saying its OK simply because you can't choose where you're born right? Its 2015, rape as a punishment should be met with huge economic sanctions and international outreach.

Are you proposing that the rest of the world should attempt to impose economic sanctions on the US?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Are you proposing that the rest of the world should attempt to impose economic sanctions on the US?

The US uses rape as a punishment?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

The US uses rape as a punishment?

Given the eagerness with which some parts of the right bring up prison rape when talking about criminal cases, that argument can certainly be made.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, prison rape is a big issue here, but that's not the same as a tribal council deciding that raping a child is a fit punishment for a brother running off with a married woman.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

People don’t get to choose when and where they are born, so that was a facetious remark trying to note why you can be bothered by this turn of events without hating the entirety of India. Every culture has both positive and negative aspects, and instead of condemning the entirety of the culture you can maybe say “this is a human rights violation and the people directly responsible should be viewed with scorn” instead of “welp, gently caress everyone involved with this in any way” or “you just lost all 12 points on your culture license. “

Plus, I’m willing to bet most of us don’t have the familiarity with Indian law to know how this came about--is this their version of the story a while ago where the guy was falsely executed for arson? How anamolous is it?

You loving nitwit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

The sentiment behind that is often buried beneath the idea that the woman has no agency and can't say no if a man wants her, rather than it being the result of respecting the relationship that she's chosen. If women are just property, then infidelity is an assault on the man's ownership. If women are human beings, then infidelity is a result of her not being happy, and her own agency being expressed. It's a not really subtle change in ideology and intent.
In an ideal world where everyone was treated as equals the reason cheating would still be an enormous betrayal of trust. Now you're obviously correct in that there is a lot of terrible sexist bullshit wrapped around men owning women. However that doesn't really ever make cheating a natural result of being unhappy. A person with agency who is unhappy with a relationship should be able to end in on their terms at any time without actively going behind their partner's back.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Khazar-khum posted:

I was not attempting cultural relativism. I was not saying "It's OK because." I was not saying "it's OK." I was not doing this thing you accuse me of. I was explaining THE MINDSET BEHIND THE THING in response to someone who said they did not understand the mindset behind the thing. The two things are obviously qualitatively and quantitatively different. I was, again, explaining the mindset. If you interpret that as "it's ok" then that's your misreading, not my intent.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

In an ideal world where everyone was treated as equals the reason cheating would still be an enormous betrayal of trust. Now you're obviously correct in that there is a lot of terrible sexist bullshit wrapped around men owning women. However that doesn't really ever make cheating a natural result of being unhappy. A person with agency who is unhappy with a relationship should be able to end in on their terms at any time without actively going behind their partner's back.

Agreed, but your point is unrelated to the current discussion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wow, i can't believe you would say that, look at this guy here

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Am I the only one who sees exactly what IndeliblePenguin is saying? Is everyone trolling him or something? Did I miss the joke?

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Am I the only one who sees exactly what IndeliblePenguin is saying? Is everyone trolling him or something? Did I miss the joke?

Nope, you sure aren't. Everything he's said has been pretty clearly articulated as well as pretty on point. I don't get what has transpired afterward, but it seems like a lot of my favorite threads are going down the road of stupid derails, so :shrug:

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Kaizoku posted:

“welp, gently caress everyone involved with this in any way”

Unless the involvement is condemnation and opposition to the sentencing, I actually think this sentence is very much appropriate for this situation.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Puseklepp posted:

Unless the involvement is condemnation and opposition to the sentencing, I actually think this sentence is very much appropriate for this situation.

You realize those two girls getting raped are involved with this in a major way?
Edit:And that someone in India reported this story, and others spread it to ensure it didn't just happen without us being aware. Literally no one in this thread thinks it's okay these people are getting raped, but many are fine with saying the entire country and culture is evil or wrong because of it. Thank god rape doesn't happen in America, right. Well, at least systemic rape doesn't happen in America. Well, except to criminals in prison, but they're criminals. Noone is ever imprisoned wrongly or on charges that shouldn't really have been laws in the first place around here. PS "It's not rape if it's your wife" is a concept that is currently being attributed to a Presidential candidate in America and many agree with. There are terrible people everywhere, even this very thread!

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Aug 31, 2015

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Hey who wants to read something that isn't this conversation?

In a tiny backwater in Texas, a strange funeral home director lived in his mortuary/chapel across the street from the cemetery. When his beloved 16 year old son died he embalmed the boy himself and buried him in a tomb the front yard, right next to the mailbox. One morning he shoots the wife he's abused for decades directly in the head.

He steals her body and tries to skip town in a hearse, and that's just the beginning of the story.

The funeral home was never emptied out or cleaned. It sat as a gruesome reminder of the creepy Undertaker for a decade. When they condemned the building and burned it down, no one in the town minded. The tomb is still there, sinking into the swamp that the land turned into. The foundation of the building is still there too. It's the only thing left to call a headstone for the Undertaker's wife.

edit: Goddamn links get hosed every time.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Aug 31, 2015

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

fizzymercy posted:

In a tiny backwater in Texas, a strange funeral home director lived in his mortuary/chapel across the street from the cemetery. When his beloved 16 year old son died he embalmed the boy himself and buried him in a tomb the front yard, right next to the mailbox. One morning he shoots the wife he's abused for decades directly in the head.

He steals her body and tries to skip town in a hearse, and that's just the beginning of the story.

The funeral home was never emptied out or cleaned. It sat as a gruesome reminder of the creepy Undertaker for a decade. When they condemned the building and burned it down, no one in the town minded. The tomb is still there, sinking into the swamp that the land turned into. The foundation of the building is still there, the only thing left to call a headstone for the Undertaker's wife.

That really is Something Awful (fix your link).

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Kaizoku posted:

You realize those two girls getting raped are involved with this in a major way?
Edit:And that someone in India reported this story, and others spread it to ensure it didn't just happen without us being aware. Literally no one in this thread thinks it's okay these people are getting raped, but many are fine with saying the entire country and culture is evil or wrong because of it. Thank god rape doesn't happen in America, right. Well, at least systemic rape doesn't happen in America. Well, except to criminals in prison, but they're criminals. Noone is ever imprisoned wrongly or on charges that shouldn't really have been laws in the first place around here. PS "It's not rape if it's your wife" is a concept that is currently being attributed to a Presidential candidate in America and many agree with. There are terrible people everywhere, even this very thread!

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the two girls getting raped are opposed to the sentencing.

No one is saying the entire country of India or its culture is evil or wrong. Keep raging against the terrible strawmen in this thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

The funeral home was never emptied out or cleaned. It sat as a gruesome reminder of the creepy Undertaker for a decade. When they condemned the building and burned it down, no one in the town minded. The tomb is still there, sinking into the swamp that the land turned into. The foundation of the building is still there too. It's the only thing left to call a headstone for the Undertaker's wife.

edit: Goddamn links get hosed every time.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/coming-to-no-good-end-6567321

\/\/\/ I got your back brother \/\/\/

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Aug 31, 2015

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Hrmph it works when I click mine but I'm also bad at everything, thanks man.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
In the late 80's, two young men moved into a crappy apartment in San Francisco, next door to a couple of old, angry drunks. The roommates got so fed up with the constant arguing that they put it on tape and passed copies around their friends. It went viral.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shut_Up,_Little_Man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttynUsu7Dxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6HmtpHKPIo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJspYSFBxtk

In 1995, SF Weekly tracked down the surviving neighbour (he died of liver failure the year after) and did an interview with him. I almost cried reading it. Don't get me wrong, the tapes are hilarious but when you find out about the background stuff, it gets depressing fast.
http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/shut-up-little-man/Content?oid=2132286

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Aug 31, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Isn't recording people like that illegal? Or is there no expectation of privacy if you're that loud.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Isn't recording people like that illegal? Or is there no expectation of privacy if you're that loud.

I'd be surprised if it was when there is an obvious issue of excessive noise. I'd say you're probably encouraged to record poo poo like that so you can complain about it or sue the old sods.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Celery Face posted:

In 1995, SF Weekly tracked down the surviving neighbour (he died of liver failure the year after) and did an interview with him. I almost cried reading it. Don't get me wrong, the tapes are hilarious but when you find out about the background stuff, it gets depressing fast.
http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/shut-up-little-man/Content?oid=2132286

I think this sums it up well:

quote:

Last year, Kelley Deal of the Breeders told Rolling Stone, "Raymond and Peter are sad. The eavesdroppers who recorded it are sad. The label that released it is sad. The people who buy it are sad. And I'm sad for listening to it."

:(

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

I think this sums it up well:

:(
Here's the part that got me.

quote:

"When we first experienced Raymond and Peter, it wasn't funny," Eddie Lee says. "It was depressing and scary. And them having the tapes, having Raymond and Peter become a phenomenon and watch it proliferate, it became something different. Then we went back to see him before the opening night of the L.A. play and, whew, it was a cold blast in the face. [Peter] was asking to see Mitchell's dick. He couldn't understand anything. It really hosed us up. And then we got back in the car that night and had to drive to L.A. for the play, where we watched people laughing and laughing. It was totally strange."

At one point during our meeting, Rosenthal appears to have a similar realization. He gets this look on his face that says "I don't want to do this anymore." He clicks off his camcorder and sets it in his lap.

I continue the interview, asking why Peter left advertising.
"I'm disabled," he says.
What disability?

He pauses a long while and looks at me as if I have just taken him somewhere he doesn't want to go anymore. He reaches under his bed and pulls out a pile of yellow legal stationary. On one page is a list of medications with names too long to pronounce without practice. Next to most of the meds is written the word "Anxiety." On another page the word "Thoughts" is written across the top and underlined. "I want to die," is thought No. 1. "I wake up every morning and wonder when I am going to die," is thought No. 2. On a third page is a list of several suicide attempts.

Mustering one last reservoir of voyeurism, I spread the pages out on the bed and Rosenthal films them. I feel sick. Rosenthal looks sick. We are sick.

Still, I have to ask. I have to go deeper. This is what I wanted, right? The real Peter.

"Why do you say here that you want to die?" I ask.
"Well," he says, "what have I contributed to the world except to sell more Alka-Seltzer and Black Label beer?"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I got a decent dinner ready. Nothing happened with the dinner. Because you crucified it.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
There's a real sadness to that when you think that those men had lives that aren't chronicled in the tapes. They were advertisers in the 50s and 60s, they could have been some of the ancillary characters on Mad Men, basically. They have whole complex stories and phases of life beyond the bizarre fame and the attempts to capitalize on those tapes. Peter's question of 'what have I contributed?' has an answer, and it's a strange and sad one.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Something eerie and loving sad about a grown man holding a stuffed animal. There's a little scene in Child of God where the hillbilly murderer loses some he won at a county fair crossing a rain-swollen creek and violent though he is he's so damned pitiful and he's got so little else in the world that it's just a bummer.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/31/its-now-or-never-texts-reveal-teens-efforts-to-pressure-boyfriend-into-suicide/

quote:

According to prosecutors, Carter pressured her boyfriend to go through with suicide for almost a week before he carried out the act. She counseled him to overcome his fears; researched methods of committing suicide painlessly; and lied to police, his family and her friends about his whereabouts during the act itself and after, prosecutors said.

[...]

“You’re finally going to be happy in heaven. No more pain,” she told him in one message. “It’s okay to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die.”

:eyepop:

quote:

“You always say you’re gonna do it, but you never do,” Carter complained. “I just want to make sure tonight is the real thing.”

Another time, she texted: “You can’t keep pushing it off, though. That’s all you keep doing.”

:stare:

goose willis has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Sep 1, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope she gets locked away forever. It's also funny how little attention the story is getting, which is good since the psychopath probably did it just for attention anyways.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The whole article is full of terrifying quotes:

quote:

“Do you have the generator?” she asked him.

“Not yet LOL,” he replied.

“WELL WHEN ARE YOU GETTING IT?” she wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kaizoku posted: