Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Disaster Artist sorta did 2. and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The uneven censorship is pretty funny. I never even noticed the heavy breathing thing when I watched as a kid.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 30, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DStecks posted:

I feel that it really illustrates the shallowness of 90+% of internet critics that everyone in here blithely accepted that the supply of things to review could be exhausted. People have been finding new things to say about Shakespeare for 400 years. I can think of 5 different ways to review even something like The Room: 1) The Room as social phenomenon, 2) The Room as outsider art, 3) Feminist critique, 4) Postmodern critique (how it appropriates iconography from classic films without understanding, and how it was written blind to medium), 5) The Room as How Not to Make a Film.

The problem is that most internet 'critics' follow the Nostalgia critic rule of: Literally just describe the film and make jokes. There's no critical analysis of themes or ideas like you'd see in SFDebris, Brows Held High, Nostalgia Chick's later stuff etc.

People like Cinema Snob can do this since he focuses on poo poo almost no one has ever heard of and there's an endless supply of stuff he can do, Phelous is sort of in that boat too since he focuses on poo poo horror films and, despite my love for the genre I'll admit, there's probably more lovely horror films than any other genre, and Lupa's sort of shifted to that unscripted thing now.

There's an endless amount of ideas out there to discuss. Hell, I've been thinking of doing a series based entirely on Found Footage films, their evolution, the themes present in the best of them, how they so often fail etc.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HFIL is my headcanon. It's just dumb enough to work.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Siselmo posted:

In the comments, he shared an article written by Lindsay that adresses this in more detail. I think it's overall spot on.

http://www.themarysue.com/stop-asking-is-this-feminist/
A couple of my friends were having almost this exact conversation the other night. One was talking about the importance of better representation and critiquing sexist patterns in movies; the other, without necessarily disagreeing, was talking about how this so often translates into criticizing individual movies based on ideology rather than the film's own merits. In a way, it's like refusing to read anything but Christian fiction; it's "safe," but how much is any good?

As a writer, I'm personally sensitive to how ideology becomes an excuse to police authors and readers for their choices. We saw this in the recent Hugo fiasco, where right-wing authors tried to push their works in the nominations because they thought SJWs were excluding them. And from the other direction, we had RequiresHate using SJ ideals as an excuse to harass, threaten, and blackmail authors who didn't meet her exact standards.

I'm going to have to share that article with my friend.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

As someone who knows RH, she was doxxed and harassed into disappearing from the internet a year or two before the fiasco (Or even Gamergate, which fueled the poo poo out of the Sad Puppies nonsense) by authors of name that would have applauded loving Save The Pearls had it been penned by a liberal author , with one of the Sad Puppies being the main headliner of that poo poo. So nice try at the false equivalence. No, even better than the "false equivalence" since one of the Sad Puppies wrote a book about RH and went with it and won the award.

That is some poo poo, dude. <- This be a good breakdown of what went down, really.

There might be a chance this nonsense is within the CandyGlazi whatever clause on the first post, and if so I apologize for bringing that up. However, as someone close to one of the parties, hopefully it's understandable of me to snap at that post.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 30, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

As someone who knows RH, she was doxxed and harassed into disappearing from the internet a year or two before the fiasco (Or even Gamergate, which fueled the poo poo out of the Sad Puppies nonsense) by authors of name that would have applauded loving Save The Pearls had it been penned by a liberal author , with one of the Sad Puppies being the main headliner of that poo poo. So nice try at the false equivalence. No, even better than the "false equivalence" since one of the Sad Puppies wrote a book about RH and went with it and won the award.

That is some poo poo, dude. <- This be a good breakdown of what went down, really.

There might be a chance this nonsense is within the CandyGlazi whatever clause on the first post, and if so I apologize for bringing that up. However, as someone close to one of the parties, hopefully it's understandable of me to snap at that post.

uuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Why do I get the feeling that calling people Sad Puppies is an indicator of being a complete rear end in a top hat? Now, I have done no research, so I can't be sure.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Jack Gladney posted:

Your American voice sounds kind of Dutch, should you ever need to blend in around the arctic circle.

Hm, that's a confusing assessment of my bad fake accent, but I'll take it.

Jack Gladney posted:

And isn't peanut butter regarded as bafflingly gross by the rest of the world, like it's America's marmite? Seems like a poor choice to market as representative of America.

watho posted:

I've never heard any blowback against peanut butter other than "ehhhh, I don't really care for it" or "It will literally kill me". It's not nearly as big of a thing anywhere else that I've been or seen but it's nowhere near Marmite or Vegemite.

I've never heard peanut butter described as gross, since it's a mild tasting thing. It doesn't have a strong savoury/cheesy/smelly/bitter characteristic to it. I think it's just viewed very negatively because of people's severe allergies to it. Me, I probably eat more of it than the average Australian simply because I'm allergic to other nuts, although not severely so. (I get an itchy mouth and feel like poo poo if I eat them.)
At worst, maybe it's considered a bit..juvenile tasting? If you think about all the other nuts out there, people use them to flavour more "sophisticated" desserts and chocolates, whereas peanuts get stuck in picnic bars, or excluded entirely because of people's allergies. It always annoys me, because I miss out on all these fancy chocolates owing to my allergy being the opposite of everyone else's.
Stuff You Missed in History Class has a great episode on peanut butter if you'd like to know more about it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Kunster posted:

Okay, maybe you know something I don't. I understand you want to defend your friend. I just know what I've read elsewhere, and it's not good.

One, she was outed by Nick Mamatas, one of her own allies, when her identity was being discussed in private SF circles.

Two, Laura Mixon isn't a Puppy by any stretch of the imagination--in fact, she was the one person in that category not nominated by either Sad or Rabid Puppies, who may have even pushed her report out of another category. Have you read her report? I mean really read it? It's well-documented that RH sent death, rape, and acid threats to people she didn't like; she drove one author to attempt suicide; and she disproportionately targeted women and people of color. There's more specific stuff here (with a scan of the acid threat), with a list of her victims here.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why do I get the feeling that calling people Sad Puppies is an indicator of being a complete rear end in a top hat? Now, I have done no research, so I can't be sure.
Other way around. Sad Puppies was the name chosen by the right-wing authors I mentioned, like Larry Correia. Rabid Puppies were led by Vox Day, who's basically a white supremacist, and who endorsed acid attacks on girls. Both of them, as I understand it, brought in help from GG to stack the awards in their favor.

It didn't work, because they lost in every category except one (and that one was because it was a lot of people like Guardians of the Galaxy).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

If she ain't, she sure did their bidding well, ala a CH Sommers type figure. I figured you were gonna post that since it has been bounced around similar crowds and all, hence why I posted that link up there to address that future posting.

It does seem that that we're arguing against each others words tho. As far as we know, we're on somewhat a stalemate.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 30, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

Other way around. Sad Puppies was the name chosen by the right-wing authors I mentioned, like Larry Correia. Rabid Puppies were led by Vox Day, who's basically a white supremacist, and who endorsed acid attacks on girls. Both of them, as I understand it, brought in help from GG to stack the awards in their favor.

It didn't work, because they lost in every category except one (and that one was because it was a lot of people like Guardians of the Galaxy).

I am duly chastised and educated.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Again, the Puppies didn't even care about her report. She wasn't part of their slate, and her win was an explicitly anti-puppy vote. She even stood up for a Tor editor who was target by the Puppies. And she's posted her acceptance speech and further commentary here. She is incredibly left-wing, to boot.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to avoid being glib and posting Ishtar quotes or whatever, but we really should probably drop this because I can see no direction this can go other than a slapfight.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's still hosed up that she got an award over that film͝ á ͠ćle̸̡f̴͜͝ ̨t҉͞͏ho̡͏,͢͡͞ ̸l̡͟͠i̢͘͘ḱ҉̢e̷̸̵ ͡so̴m̴͝e̵͡ ̛so̡͏r͝͞t̶̢ ̡̨ò̸͜f ̨͠p̧e̡͘͜n̵͟á͘n͘͢c̨e͞ ͏t͝o̡̕ ̢̕s̴̨h́͟ų͞t͡ ͠͞d̶̀͟o̷w̷͢ņ͠ ͢s̴̕͞o͠m͜e͠o̢n̵̛͡e ̢̀w͏̢͜i͝t҉ - something something fate on the middle east. I wonder if Ishtar is all that bad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I finally got my own copy of The Room. That's something.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Keromaru5 posted:

I finally got my own copy of The Room. That's something.

I Saw the room once at a midnight screening. Wow... That really was something else. I did get hit in the head with a nerd football though.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

I feel that it really illustrates the shallowness of 90+% of internet critics that everyone in here blithely accepted that the supply of things to review could be exhausted. People have been finding new things to say about Shakespeare for 400 years. I can think of 5 different ways to review even something like The Room: 1) The Room as social phenomenon, 2) The Room as outsider art, 3) Feminist critique, 4) Postmodern critique (how it appropriates iconography from classic films without understanding, and how it was written blind to medium), 5) The Room as How Not to Make a Film.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The problem is that most internet 'critics' follow the Nostalgia critic rule of: Literally just describe the film and make jokes. There's no critical analysis of themes or ideas like you'd see in SFDebris, Brows Held High, Nostalgia Chick's later stuff etc.

People like Cinema Snob can do this since he focuses on poo poo almost no one has ever heard of and there's an endless supply of stuff he can do, Phelous is sort of in that boat too since he focuses on poo poo horror films and, despite my love for the genre I'll admit, there's probably more lovely horror films than any other genre, and Lupa's sort of shifted to that unscripted thing now.

One of the other reasons that the Cinema Snob works with that style is because Brad understands film making. Brad talks about the tonal dissonance in films such as Last House on the Left, and even talks how having the main character be right accross the street from her house, yet unable to escape her captors to that saftey is very effective and distrubing, but the wacky party antics at the house and the bumbling cops undercut that.

Doug has done nothing to show he understands how and why films are made as they are. Therefore, his reviews are very shallow, and packed with factual errors and commentary that betrays Doug's ignorance to narrtive storytelling.

One of the interesting things is to compare and contrast both Brad and Doug's review of Exorcist 2. Both go over the scenes, but Doug either misses or chooses not to mention any of the odd visual metaphors. One of them is the scene with James Earl Jones in a Locust suit. Doug flat out thinks that scene happened in the movie's reality, Brad does aknowledge that it was some kind of dream or hallucination. Both complain that the movie is scary, Doug brings up jump scares as scary things that would have made the movie scarier. Brad does complient the set design and cinematography, and also brings up odd editing choices. These two reviews to me show that Brad has an eye for more than just the plot in a movie, and knows to look at other components of the film.

I don't know what would happen if you were to show Doug a very surreal movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I haven't watched a Nostalgia Critic video since everything started coming to lifhts, but I would make an exception for th Holy Mountain.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I do think Doug CAN show some chops at interpretation, analysis and discussion of the deeper meaning in films, his Eyes Wide Shut review is shockingly decent. The problem is that he's pigeonholed himself into doing a certain style of film and his audience expects what he does is just that scream scream, yell joke, meme thing he's been doing for years. You can tell he's tried to branch out, this is why his Editorial stuff and vlogs and generally better than his normal poo poo, you can tell he's actually enjoying that stuff.

It's strange, but on some level I'd kind of like SFDebris (despite the fact that his name is literally SFDebris) to branch out into some more deeper stuff, I'd actually LOVE his take on Under the Skin and maybe even Enemy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd love if people would stop sending SFDebris their favorite junk anime to review just because he happened to take a look at Gundam and Ghost in the Shell once. Though I'd love to see him cover more gundam, just less Kannazuki no gently caress off.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd love if people would stop sending SFDebris their favorite junk anime to review just because he happened to take a look at Gundam and Ghost in the Shell once. Though I'd love to see him cover more gundam, just less Kannazuki no gently caress off.

Dude's incredibly backlogged at this point. I recall sending him a donation to review something back in the end of 2013 and it's still waiting in the backlog, I feel like the moment he allowed anime he probably got a flood of poo poo to do, we might be only seeing the tip of the iceberg sadly.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I do think Doug CAN show some chops at interpretation, analysis and discussion of the deeper meaning in films, his Eyes Wide Shut review is shockingly decent. The problem is that he's pigeonholed himself into doing a certain style of film and his audience expects what he does is just that scream scream, yell joke, meme thing he's been doing for years. You can tell he's tried to branch out, this is why his Editorial stuff and vlogs and generally better than his normal poo poo, you can tell he's actually enjoying that stuff.

It's strange, but on some level I'd kind of like SFDebris (despite the fact that his name is literally SFDebris) to branch out into some more deeper stuff, I'd actually LOVE his take on Under the Skin and maybe even Enemy.

I disagree, because the movies, and the game show to me say that Doug cannot analyze why things work, and therefore only mindlessly copies something.

His game show as an opening round similar to the opening of Double Dare. The difference is that the reason it exists in Double Dare is because the winner controls the questions, similar to how Nick Arcade used the head to head video games to see which team had control of the board at the beginning of each round. In pop quiz hotshot, it is meaningless. Also, the cartoons are shamelessly ripped form a mechanic in another game, forgetting why it was there. That would be like trying to add the doubles roll rules from Monopoly and then adding it to Clue.

The movies are the same way, thoughtlessly stealing characters and scenes from other movies and taping them together, without consideration if they meld. If Doug had those critical analysis skills, why is it that nothing in To Boldly Flee (aka Sci-Fi Smorgasbord) and Suburban Knights (aka A Waste of Time) feels original? I don't buy that the problem is just the NC character.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wouldn't mind more anime just as long as it's explicitly SF. Like, Eureka Seven seems like something he might like just fine. I put it kind of on the Doctor Who spectrum of SF, not exactly speculative fiction, but uses sci-fi as a framing device for other themes. I didn't watch his Madoka Magica stuff because, well, one I'm not interested in the show, but even if (and I honestly don't know) there's some minor sci-fi trappings just like there were in Sailor Moon, it's not primarily a Sci-Fi show in presentation. However, Summer Wars, just based on the description, seemed like something that was perfectly appropriate. Fullmetal Alchemist would be a bit iffy, but Steins;Gate would be okay (regardless of the relative quality of the two shows).

Basically, SciFi anime is fine, random anime less so.

PassTheRemote posted:

I disagree, because the movies, and the game show to me say that Doug cannot analyze why things work, and therefore only mindlessly copies something.

His game show as an opening round similar to the opening of Double Dare. The difference is that the reason it exists in Double Dare is because the winner controls the questions, similar to how Nick Arcade used the head to head video games to see which team had control of the board at the beginning of each round. In pop quiz hotshot, it is meaningless. Also, the cartoons are shamelessly ripped form a mechanic in another game, forgetting why it was there. That would be like trying to add the doubles roll rules from Monopoly and then adding it to Clue.

The movies are the same way, thoughtlessly stealing characters and scenes from other movies and taping them together, without consideration if they meld. If Doug had those critical analysis skills, why is it that nothing in To Boldly Flee (aka Sci-Fi Smorgasbord) and Suburban Knights (aka A Waste of Time) feels original? I don't buy that the problem is just the NC character.

I agree that it's not the character constraining him, but I also don't think he's wholly incompetent. Sometimes he makes good points or looks at things from an interesting angle. It's just that the majority of the time what you say is true.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I also wonder how much influence his brother has on the writing and scripting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I also wonder how much influence his brother has on the writing and scripting.

His Jurassic World sibling rivalry video makes me think Rob has next to no control over what Doug says or writes, because he'll just scream at Rob.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder if the money-to-backlog ratio is worth all the random anime. It's been a while, but I think he got paid a huge amount to review that lesbian robot anime?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Having watched most of his non Star Trek stuff before the shutdown, I actually liked it when he does stuff like Gargoyles, Avatar, and Madoka Magica that isn't necessarily sci-fi. His insight is great and those series offer a lot to analyse like with the gun safety episode of Gargoyles.

Plus it's always funny to hear him call bunny-cat a dick.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Jsor posted:

I want Todd to do a OHW on C'est la Vie by B*Witched. I think they qualify as a one hit wonder in the US specifically, with one song reaching 9 on the charts, and their other possible "hit" only got to 67. (They were big in the UK for a bit though)

I have no real reason for me to want him to review this, I don't know if the band is particularly interesting other than normal music group ~drama~. All I know is that C'est la Vie has been stuck in my head for weeks and I want everyone to suffer and my chosen vector is Todd. (Also, the song is gloriously goofy in the way most late '90s Euoropean dancepop that's probably about sex is).
I went and looked up the video and hoo boy, it's pretty much the British version of Get Down by B-4-4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjLgjtJKsc

Speaking of one hit wonders with weird, uncomfortable music videos, I must have blocked this one from memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNKLn0A-1CM

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh my god that Sunday line. I'm getting Highlander 2 vibes when General Katana says "We aren't in Kansas anymore". Aliens just knowing Earth trivia is funny.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face posted:

I went and looked up the video and hoo boy, it's pretty much the British version of Get Down by B-4-4.

... music is a ridiculously powerful force.

The names in this conversation did nothing for me, neither the title of the song or the name of the band, I remembered nothing about any of these girls, but less than a second into this video I had the entire song burst forth inside my head from some deep, dark corner of my mind, fully formed and with all verses and choruses complete and in order. I remember every detail of this song from just the opening chords. I've heard this song maybe twice in my entire life. I have trouble drudging up the names of co-workers I've known for years and couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast today, but those two notes from some random rear end song from 20 years ago is all it takes for me to remember the entire thing, start to finish.

Music is a ridiculously powerful force.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Celery Face posted:

Woah there, don't start calling the Irish Brits...

Random story. My friend's wife's sister went to school with one of B*Witched.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jimbot posted:

HFIL is my headcanon. It's just dumb enough to work.

Yeah, HFIL still seems right in line in a manga like Dragon Ball.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

Yeah, HFIL still seems right in line in a manga like Dragon Ball.

:agreed:

It's such a Dragon Ball thing. I like DB more than DBZ though, so that take for what it's worth.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I also really like the original Dragon Ball. At least that wasn't artificially extended.

Leal posted:

Oh my god that Sunday line. I'm getting Highlander 2 vibes when General Katana says "We aren't in Kansas anymore". Aliens just knowing Earth trivia is funny.

The dub in Portugal was done in such a way that it got half SamuraI Pizza Cats-'ed! A lot of the serious plots got kept. Hence why I sort of poked a bit of fun on that description of the video: Dragon Ball Z isn't exactly a show that warranted a lot of seriousness, to the point that some of the scenes in DBZA were more respectful to said characters even for a full on gag dub.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Celery Face posted:

Speaking of one hit wonders with weird, uncomfortable music videos, I must have blocked this one from memory.

Goddamit, I just managed to wipe both of those songs from memory, along with the name of Nikki Webster and you just come along and plant it back in again.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Celery Face posted:

Ah yes, Get Down! An unfortunate contribution to the world by Celery Face's very own country!

Not that I can talk - Nikki Webster is so Australian that she played an integral part of the 2000 Sydney Olympics opening ceremony. We forgot about her pretty soon afterwards though, although my brother and I used to make frequent jokes about her "deadly vibrato" (actually deadly melisma), and how she had to have a special filter on the microphone to reduce it to levels where it wouldn't cause death to the audience.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

There's a new Feminist Frequency. We are at Defcon 1 for 4/8chan bullshit. Can't watch it till tonight though,I'm at work and my cell phone hit its data limit for the month:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ugh, so many bullshitters who are shamelessly, smugly lying out of their asses in those related videos.

It makes me happy, knowing that each passing day, gg dies slowly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I wish anyone involved with Gamergate (pro or anti) would shut their loving mouths because I don't care what they want in life, but they keep thinking they're so special.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 31, 2015

• Locked thread