Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fjelltorsk posted:

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free.

Congratulations dude!

My office just called. I'm doing a run tonight from Stansted airport to Edinburgh. Picking up at 9:30pm.

They loving love me, i say yes to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress me, that's a pretty good run! If you don't mind me asking, how much can you charge for a drive like that?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mat_Drinks posted:

As a father of two youngs boys, I'd say an rear end in a top hat of the highest order. How someone could abandon their kids is so beyond me that I don't even have words for how much contempt for that I have (save something like adoption). And for him to come back in and try to meddle now? Well, I guess we could say that maybe it's karma having his way with him.

And really, I know you love your lady and you should tell her that, but it's hosed that she's telling you all of this poo poo about her lovely dad. My dad likes to call family "the other f word" because yeah family is great, but it can also be a pain sometimes, and right now her family is being a royal pain for you. Sorry for your troubles man.

The other f word...ha I'll have to remember that one. Bit confused about the karma thing though. Are you saying he got terminally I'll for leaving his wife?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Breath Ray posted:

The other f word...ha I'll have to remember that one. Bit confused about the karma thing though. Are you saying he got terminally I'll for leaving his wife?

The F Word is also an amazing documentary about punk band guys having kids. Think that's the name...It's on Netflix.

Also, Jesus Christ this loving motor has too much poo poo attached to it. And so many god drat missing bolts.

Hopefully it's out today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

A loving rear end in a top hat. Says something about her if she puts up with it and doesn't stick up for you.

She just lost her mom, the idea of her dad dying isn't really making her sane or stable. And she's bluntly refused him on this, she just wants me to be aware of what's going on. Funny thing, I was trying to make peace with him prior to his cancer diagnosis. It seems he'd rather die being regarded as a huge loving rear end in a top hat rather than letting his beef die first.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Timmy Cruise posted:

Does anybody have experience resolving the limited connection status issue on windows 8? I've tried a bunch of different things on the interweb. (restart, automatic troubelshooting [ha], command prompt ip reset, manual DNS setting).

Thanks in advance....

Do you mean the time when the network icon has the exclamation point over it and claims "no internet access" even when you clearly have it? We've had a ton of issues with that (Windows Network Location Awareness) at work because we've tried to roll out Skype and One Drive as attached to our Office 365 subscriptions. Even when you have connectivity (as demonstrated by the browser, etc) if the NLA demon thinks you aren't connected One Drive and Skype won't even try to connect. They check the status from the daemon and then loving give up. Terrible pathetic MS poo poo which relies on your machine connecting to an MS machine to check a string downloaded via HTTP. I've looked all over the internet and I can't find a decent way to get around it. Even trying to disable it entirely doesn't seem to work, and what I really want is just a way to force it to a "true" without even checking.

Ultimately, we think the issue lies with our anti-virus (Kaspersky) not allowing the connection early enough in the user profile loading to work. Some people have success doing a DHCP release/renew 5-6 times and finally get it to go away. For others we've gone into Services and set the NLA Service to "Automatic, Delayed Start" and that seems to have decent success.

If you're talking about something else, I guess that was all useless but it felt nice to vent about it. loving worthless poo poo.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

iwentdoodie posted:

The F Word is also an amazing documentary about punk band guys having kids. Think that's the name...It's on Netflix.

it's The Other F Word, and yes it's an awesome documentary. After watching it I went and spent too much money on iTunes buying albums I used to own and listen to in high school. It really reminded me of a good friend who has 2 sons, but is covered in tattoos(all the way to the back of his hands and neck, a lot are star wars related) and still has a punk band. Parent teacher nights are fun apparently.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Breath Ray posted:

No, I just worded that poorly since I drank a few beers last night and was almost saying something really mean, but couldn't quite bring myself to say it since I don't want to be that type of person (though I struggle with it).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, Jesus Christ this loving motor has too much poo poo attached to it. And so many god drat missing bolts.

:stare:

I hope you're labeling that wiring. No joke that was the most time consuming part of swapping a 16v into my scirocco since the one that came with the engine was just a tangled mess. I'm convinced its impossible to make a CIS-E engine bay look neat and orderly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can't put my new address into Google, don't have any bins, haven't had time to program the thermostat yet, still need to fence the yard in, don't have a phone line physically pulled into the house yet, sink leaks.

Life could barely get better.

Oh wait, I'm back at work tomorrow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Holy crap, looks like a good candidate for MS. You bringing it to FL when you move?

Rhyno posted:

She just lost her mom, the idea of her dad dying isn't really making her sane or stable. And she's bluntly refused him on this, she just wants me to be aware of what's going on. Funny thing, I was trying to make peace with him prior to his cancer diagnosis. It seems he'd rather die being regarded as a huge loving rear end in a top hat rather than letting his beef die first.

Well that's cool, from your previous post you made it sound like she was taking his advice and about to dump your rear end :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

An old VW being a pain in the rear end? :lol:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Friends of the wife and I are all hyped up about getting their daughter her first car. I'd love to be excited.... But it's a 2010 PT Cruiser.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone here have a (free) fantasy football league going on that needs an extra player?

I'd like to play just for fun, but all the people I know starting up are charging $100+ gently caress that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

Friends of the wife and I are all hyped up about getting their daughter her first car. I'd love to be excited.... But it's a 2010 PT Cruiser.

Isn't your first car supposed to be a shitbox?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Chances are she's going to wreck it anyway so no loss here.

Maybe she can learn the joys of maintenance through poo poo failing randomly, too. :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hello old friend!

Old picture of the one in my Rabbit:

\/\/ Hey now, it's not an Aztek.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

There is a difference between giving your kid a simple, boring, efficient and cheap to maintain beater as their first car and sticking them with the automotive equivalent of herpes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Previa_fun posted:

Chances are she's going to wreck it anyway so no loss here.

Maybe she can learn the joys of maintenance through poo poo failing randomly, too. :v:

Silver lining :woop:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elmnt80 posted:

There is a difference between giving your kid a simple, boring, efficient and cheap to maintain beater as their first car and sticking them with the automotive equivalent of herpes.

Passive-aggressive expression of his dislike for his daughter.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Marvel Heroes is cool. It's like a little less boring Diablo 3.

We also just copped a handle of Kirkland vodka and a handle of Kirland Silver Tequila for like $30 total. Gotta love Costco.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

sharkytm posted:

Hello old friend!

Does everyone throw the timing chain cover off on those engines. I mean I know they break if you look at them wrong but come on its better then rocks flying inbetween the teeth on an interference engine.

Also you should've stuck with the smaller rad for better weight reduction :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mariooncrack posted:

He said PT Cruiser

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy poo poo playing video games not stoned is boring as gently caress.

You need better games...

I mostly play Kerbal Space Program, so don't listen to me

sharkytm posted:

Hello old friend!

Old picture of the one in my Rabbit:

\/\/ Hey now, it's not an Aztek.

:colbert: Needs one more cylinder.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: Needs one more cylinder.

Don't talk poo poo about the 16v, its better than your archaic SOHC reverse flow engine :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Welp. Sunburned the motherfuck out of my forearms welding stuff for my house. Guess I should stop pretending to be UF and wear long sleeves when welding, dammit.

I keep forgetting I'm playing with a real welder (230 amp, 60% duty cycle) now not babbys first 100 amp fluxcore, which doesn't even give me a tan if I use it for hours. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes of actual trigger time on 9 out of 12 (170 amps or so?) and I was feeling it within 15 minutes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Don't talk poo poo about the 16v, its better than your archaic SOHC reverse flow engine :colbert:

What?!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I forgot you have a 20v one. :ughh:

Still the 16v was a helluva engine, just takes off past 4,500 rpm.

fake edit: I never loving understood why VW/Audi insisted on wrapping the intake manifolds on their crossflow heads around the head so part of it sits right above the exhaust manifold. Do you really need to pre-heat your air?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

fake edit: I never loving understood why VW/Audi insisted on wrapping the intake manifolds on their crossflow heads around the head so part of it sits right above the exhaust manifold. Do you really need to pre-heat your air?

Dunno. The 20v 7A has a cover over the exhaust piping that was supposed to help keep it down, but I think it was more that, since the 7A powered 90/80 was just basically a B2 with a face lift, it was easiest to use the intake on the same side where the CIS used to be, and to make it easier to switch between the CIS powered 10v or the EFI powered 7A.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
die CIS-E scum :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Dunno. The 20v 7A has a cover over the exhaust piping that was supposed to help keep it down, but I think it was more that, since the 7A powered 90/80 was just basically a B2 with a face lift, it was easiest to use the intake on the same side where the CIS used to be, and to make it easier to switch between the CIS powered 10v or the EFI powered 7A.

Yeah I'm pretty convinced that it was directly related to CIS and VW being cheap as gently caress. I suspect they would've had to pay Bosch extra fees to engineer a different plastic bit to go to the other side.

Sadly since I've got a stupid exhaust header I don't have any heat shield. Makes canadian winter driving interesting since there's nothing to plug the hot air intake hose to so my parking is based solely around where I can plug my car in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

die CIS-E scum :colbert:

Its not that bad, since I got the manual for CIS and made a few testing tools. But, I've removed all my CIS anyways in favor of Megasquirt powered EFI.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I'm pretty convinced that it was directly related to CIS and VW being cheap as gently caress. I suspect they would've had to pay Bosch extra fees to engineer a different plastic bit to go to the other side.

Sadly since I've got a stupid exhaust header I don't have any heat shield. Makes canadian winter driving interesting since there's nothing to plug the hot air intake hose to so my parking is based solely around where I can plug my car in.

Well, in Audi's case, it was because the 90/80/4000 are parts bin cars that Audi made from whatever they had left from the competition stuff. Hell, have the B2s and B3s I find are a mix of various VW and Audi parts from varying different models.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Its not that bad, since I got the manual for CIS and made a few testing tools. But, I've removed all my CIS anyways in favor of Megasquirt powered EFI.

Well, in Audi's case, it was because the 90/80/4000 are parts bin cars that Audi made from whatever they had left from the competition stuff. Hell, have the B2s and B3s I find are a mix of various VW and Audi parts from varying different models.

I assume you've got the Bentley for Bosch fuel injection. Its a great little book. CIS-E is pretty good, I've had no issues with it.

And yeah its parts bin engineering, the plastic bits other than the boot with the dimple was completely interchangable between the CIS and CIS-E stuff when I swapped over. But the cost of a little plastic boot had to of been less than the cost of those huge intake manifolds. My little theory was is that they licensed all that stuff from Bosch and it cost too much to license stuff for the crossflow stuff that was relatively limited. My current IAC on the Scirocco came off a 2001 Hyundai and its the exact same model, so it goes some way to confirming that. Bosch must have had a huge warehouse of this poo poo and just forced VW to use as much of it as possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I assume you've got the Bentley for Bosch fuel injection. Its a great little book. CIS-E is pretty good, I've had no issues with it.

And yeah its parts bin engineering, the plastic bits other than the boot with the dimple was completely interchangable between the CIS and CIS-E stuff when I swapped over. But the cost of a little plastic boot had to of been less than the cost of those huge intake manifolds. My little theory was is that they licensed all that stuff from Bosch and it cost too much to license stuff for the crossflow stuff that was relatively limited. My current IAC on the Scirocco came off a 2001 Hyundai and its the exact same model, so it goes some way to confirming that. Bosch must have had a huge warehouse of this poo poo and just forced VW to use as much of it as possible.

I've got the Bentley and the Bosch manual for CIS/CIS-E systems and testing.

I mean, Audi managed to do pretty good with the reverse flow head in Group B regardless, at least till the 20v came out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

:stare:

I hope you're labeling that wiring. No joke that was the most time consuming part of swapping a 16v into my scirocco since the one that came with the engine was just a tangled mess. I'm convinced its impossible to make a CIS-E engine bay look neat and orderly.

Yeah, all wiring is labelled. And thankfully nothing ripped when it came out.

Leica: MS is in the future, for now I just want to get it moving. And that's the plan :D

Sharky: close, but mk2.

SHITTERS CLOGGED
found the rod knock cause, I think. Never seen a blown plug like that. Basically it's a GDCS situation, so now to track down ALL of the hoses.

Out in under 2hrs. Pulled the front subframe, and then we literally just rolled the motor and transaxle out on two floor jacks. Safety first and all.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 31, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need help.

I have the Civic sold, dude is set to bring me cash but the alternator had crapped out and I never got it swapped over. I went to swap it and the lower bolt is stuck hard. I've tried hammering, prying and PB Blaster with no luck. The position of it makes it difficult to hammer on, I'm close to giving up here. Ideas?

Sorry about the poo poo photo, my phone is ancient and the onboard flash no longer syncs with the actual picture taking.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I assume there's no room for this magic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJi3G2oUOfY

Maybe weld a nut onto the end?

Maybe add heat to the casting (or whatever) where the bolt goes in, to try to expand it around the threads?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

I assume there's no room for this magic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJi3G2oUOfY

Maybe weld a nut onto the end?

Maybe add heat to the casting (or whatever) where the bolt goes in, to try to expand it around the threads?

It runs through the bracket and has a large squared head on the other side. I can wobble the alt but it takes a lot of effort to move it back and forth, it's rusted in place pretty bad. I thought about heat but I have no torch nor welder.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

It runs through the bracket and has a large squared head on the other side. I can wobble the alt but it takes a lot of effort to move it back and forth, it's rusted in place pretty bad. I thought about heat but I have no torch nor welder.

Have you tried cussing at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Can you just pull the whole bracket off, and junkyard the replacement alt and bracket together? If you can't use heat, can't fit an impact gun in there, and lubrication of the threads doesn't help, I'm not sure what else you can do. Obviously, just grinding off the head of the bolt won't get you anywhere because its shaft would still stay in place.

• Locked thread