Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Colosmicon posted:

Right-click on KF2 in Steam, select Properties, and select the Betas tab. Pick Preview 8.15 out of the drop-down menu. No codes required.

Thank you Steam for being so straightforward :rolleye:

oh hello, thank you !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Geight posted:

There's a category for electric weapons and there better be some good-rear end poo poo in there in the future

It might be a case where SWAT has electric bullets in the same fashion the Firebug had fire bullets for some weapons in KF1.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

widespread posted:

It gets worse. You got Level 25s doing loving Hard games. Take a guess why they're at Hard and not Suicidal or Hell On Earth. :v:
Today we had a level 25 Medic telling a pair of level 9 Firebugs to go play on level servers because we weren't pro enough or whatever. We went 1-2 and he was last on the board the entire time.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Today we had a level 25 Medic telling a pair of level 9 Firebugs to go play on level servers because we weren't pro enough or whatever. We went 1-2 and he was last on the board the entire time.

You could play "Spot the Booster" with these and similar tales, man. Helps that their MO is just "GET LEVEL CAP, THEN WAVE DICK AROUND".

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

Well, the 9mm still takes 2 headshots to kill even a Clot on anything outside of Hard. And the Beta gave the 9mm a cut of -1 starting mags and -2 max mags. But if you suggest "Well just use commando with the backup talent then" we're back to "Well just play some other class in the first wave :rolleyes:"

Oh, I was talking about the dude that got booted on normal, not demo. You should definitely be able to play any perk all the way through, and pistol-ing things really doesn't count, because 9mm is a loving boring as poo poo peashooter.

drrockso20 posted:

Man that might be the blandest weapon selection I've ever seen, if that's really the final selection for SWAT than they better get some other really neat stuff, cause otherwise it looks like it'd just be a tankier Commando or a more shooty Support

Yeah, that's somehow more boring than the Commando selection, and they have a list of straight upgrades ala T1<T2<T3<T4.

What I'm trying to say is boring things are boring, and we need more not-boring things and not more boring things. Controversial

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Geight posted:

There's a category for electric weapons and there better be some good-rear end poo poo in there in the future

I hope we can do stuff like cross mic-gun + electo-beam to get Majicka style damage combos going.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Chard posted:

I hope we can do stuff like cross mic-gun + electo-beam to get Majicka style damage combos going.

Why you gotta get my hopes up for things that can never be? :smith:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the Firebug's push-back perk actually do anything? I couldn't see a difference in stagger/stumble effect with the Caulk N Burn, and thinking I could push my way out of certain situations got me killed twice.

Edit: Hans just took 65 health off me in a single melee shot. Tripwire still needs to do a lot of work on him, particularly to reduce instakills.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 31, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The tier 1 weapons on the floor are basically an insult at this point. Just have 1/2 and full ammo packs and increase the spawn rate if you want to keep the current ammo caps. It will prevent people camping certain areas (i.e. the half tracks on the show snow level) because there's incentive to move together to keep everyone supplied. The downside is that on a level like Catacombs poo poo is going to go sideways in a tunnel more often than not.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Also not sure why everyone hates the t1 weapons you find laying around so much. Finding a varmint rifle is really handy in early waves. It's really easy to pop a bunch of heads with.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 31, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
When was the last time you found one in an early wave? Most of the waves 1-3 I play the team can comfortably camp one spot since the 2+ Firebugs in every game are really, really good at eliminating trash so those go by quickly. By wave 4+ on Hard everyone has their Tier 2 and can't pick them up. Maybe on Suicidal people have to move more? I'm trying not to be a drag on serious players and not playing Suicidal+ until at least level 13.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 31, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ramsus posted:

Also not sure why everyone hates the t1 weapons you find laying around so much. Finding a varmint rifle is really handy in early waves. It's really easy to pop a bunch of heads with.

From what I understand (since still haven't switched to the beta personally :downs:), they made it so those weapons don't spawn until later waves now. So by the time a varmint rifle or pump action spawn, you like Shuma said you might not even have room for anything but a Katana at it's 3 weight. And even a half ammo pickup would be worth more dosh wise than selling off a floor gun in many cases.

Finding a varmint rifle or pump action in Wave 1, you actually would some usage before you eventually sell the thing to make room for your own perk weapons. So I don't sell it till wave 3 unless I REALLY wanted that Tier 2 in wave 2. Later though? Not so much. cant even pick them up usually.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 31, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Shumagorath posted:

When was the last time you found one in an early wave? Most of the waves 1-3 I play the team can comfortably camp one spot since the 2+ Firebugs in every game are really, [i[really[/i] good at eliminating trash so those go by quickly. By wave 4+ on Hard everyone has their Tier 2 and can't pick them up. Maybe on Suicidal people have to move more? I'm trying not to be a drag on serious players and not playing Suicidal+ until at least level 13.

It's not different in Suicidal. No one really wants to spend several minutes trying to find an item that may or may not exist.

Section Z posted:

(since still haven't switched to the beta personally :downs:)

So you're arguing about balance in a patch you haven't even tried? Okay.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So you're arguing about balance in a patch you haven't even tried? Okay.

Well, does the 9mm take less than two headshots to kill clots on Hard+ in the beta? Or was the only change to the 9mm cutting it's ammo pool and allowing dual wield?

Though I guess it is literally impossible to assume the 9mm doesn't get as much trash killing mileage when it has less ammo than Live, without experiencing it for myself. You got me.

EDIT: vvv The 9mm is weak as hell regardless of what class you use, Commando talents aside. With or without the Demo, "Less 9mm bullets" = "Less 9mm killing capacity" anyways. I haven't once talked poo poo about the grenade pistol or the Demo (though, for obvious reasons).

I'm not asking for the 9mm to be 20 damage or anything, but "You have a knife and 9mm, it's fine" Was supposed to be something KF2 moves AWAY from in the early waves. So far as all the pitching for "You spawn with a weapon now" went. I'm hardly the only person in the thread thinking so.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 31, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Section Z posted:

Well, does the 9mm take less than two headshots to kill clots on Hard+ in the beta? Or was the only change to the 9mm cutting it's ammo pool and allowing dual wield?

Though I guess it is literally impossible to assume the 9mm doesn't get as much trash killing mileage when it has less ammo than Live, without experiencing it for myself. You got me.

It's there as a supplement. As I already explained in a prior post, your Grenade Pistol should allow you to net most of "your share" of the early waves. You've got your pistol there to help out if you run low on ammo. I've seen Demos outside of myself do it, so it's clearly feasible.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I've a question: Are Fleshpounds now a solid threat with seemingly no weaknesses?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

I've a question: Are Fleshpounds now a solid threat with seemingly no weaknesses?

Explosives and hitting their heads is their weakness.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

widespread posted:

They're weak to explosions and teamwork. And the microwave gun seems to do a number on them.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The grenade pistol is probably the worst tier 1 weapon in the game. Useless against Bloats, Sirens and Husks, and can barely manage to one or even two shot Clots and Gorefasts, even at level 9. There's also too much sway on the m79 when you take it out or bring the sights up on it. There's also too many dud shots and firing without the sights is way way less accurate than in KF1.

I've been rolling with an AR15, medic pistol and rocket launcher, or some other combination thereof but the class is simply too easy to get rushed with, every weapon is expensive and single shot and impossible to use for headshots, and is rendered completely useless by the presence of even a single siren. Demo is feeling pretty lack luster right now. It's not even THAT good at killing Fleshpounds. I think maybe Demo should be able to carry more than 5 grenades? Or something? Idk. It just feels weak right now. Mainly a better tier 1 weapon would help a lot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

And the microwave gun seems to do a number on them.
Not even close. Skrakes on Hard will pop like zits if I concentrate flame or microwave on them. Fleshpounds are basically the Demo's One Job because no one else is anywhere near as effective at killing them (even a Support grenade dump or a talented Berzerker).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Explosives and hitting their heads is their weakness.

Theta Zero posted:

They're weak to explosions and teamwork. And the microwave gun seems to do a number on them.

Wait, really? I thought the FPs were upgraded or some poo poo. But if explosives named the M79, the RPG, and sticks of dynamite work against it, then heh.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The grenade pistol is probably the worst tier 1 weapon in the game.

It's literally the Demo's worst nightmare. Like playing KF1 Demo all over again, since you wind up using the 9mm a lot more than the class lets on. At least the dynamite's solid.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I guess this works against Scrakes too but gently caress me if I'm good enough to nail this consistently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2mx7PJgjiw

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I guess this works against Scrakes too but gently caress me if I'm good enough to nail this consistently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2mx7PJgjiw

aw poor baby fell down

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm trying not to be a drag on serious players and not playing Suicidal+ until at least level 13.

I started playing Suicide on a level 7 firebug. There's a couple of jerks who get mad, sure, but for the most part, you learn good tactics and you're surrounded by people who'll help you survive, as long as you help them survive. Plus, a lot fewer of those level 25 guys who get extremely mad when anyone tries to have fun.

Suicide is for funhavers. I highly recommend going to suicidal after level 10.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Shumagorath posted:

When was the last time you found one in an early wave? Most of the waves 1-3 I play the team can comfortably camp one spot since the 2+ Firebugs in every game are really, really good at eliminating trash so those go by quickly. By wave 4+ on Hard everyone has their Tier 2 and can't pick them up. Maybe on Suicidal people have to move more? I'm trying not to be a drag on serious players and not playing Suicidal+ until at least level 13.

oh yeah, I just started playing beta today and didn't realize they don't spawn in early waves

pretty useless then, i agree

e. also the knife seems really strong now, like ridiculously useful for clots

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
really enjoying demo

favorite loadout so far:

nade launcher
starting pistol
medic pistol
c4

the poison cloud explosion for zed time is really nice

also like in kf1 it's easier to start as a different perk and then switch to demo a couple waves in

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 31, 2015

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It's a shame the firebug didn't start with some sort of flaregun revolver, don't get me wrong I love the caulk thingy I just think it woulda been a pretty fun gimmick to just run around with all the handguns. :ocelot:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not too sure how good it is numbers wise but the Trench Gun feels awesome to use. Kinda wish the flamethrowers didn't feel so weak, there doesn't feel like there's any impact behind them at all and there should be.

Microwave Gun is awesome though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I don't think it's possible to favorite a server from in game. And also servers crash every time between maps if the next map is a custom map. There's no download prompt or anything. It just kicks you out to the title screen.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the grenade pistol in one gif

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My new favorite sound is 6 people plinking at Hans Moleman simultaneously with their sidearms because they all ran out of ammo long before he runs out of health. I'm going to make it my ringtone I think.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ramsus posted:

e. also the knife seems really strong now, like ridiculously useful for clots
I took the head off a Husk last night with the Firebug SARK. That was pretty cool, but I'd already shot him with the Trench gun a few times.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've also noticed that using the knife to defend at times is really important.

I was able to fend off Han's melee attacks by holding up my medic scalpel like it was some sort of talisman. It didn't leave me in the best condition but it's a lot better than being knocked out with a 1-2 punch like normal.

On a different note, from the fact that no one has mentioned anything about it I'm assuming the Trenchgun does not get any buff from Support skills?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Alkydere posted:

On a different note, from the fact that no one has mentioned anything about it I'm assuming the Trenchgun does not get any buff from Support skills?

It does not, but it definitely should.

IMO all the perks should get bonuses to classes of weapons rather than just their own guns. Multiclassing is fun!

vv :)

brocretin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 31, 2015

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

brocretin posted:

It does not, but it definitely should.

IMO all the perks should get bonuses to classes of weapons rather than just their own guns. Multiclassing is fun!

I really like it when people play off-perk but we need to be careful that we don't make only certain perk combos attractive so that we can encourage people to try out new stuff rather than sticking to the stuff that's buffed by their current perk. Definitely something we'll experiment with in the future!

New preview update later today with some bug fixes that address some of the balance concerns I've seen in this thread. Grenade pistol isn't any good for demo? That might be because it wasn't applying the impact damage for the projectiles on-line. Whoops.

Anyway, updates are shrinking in size as we get closer to the release version of the patch but there are still a couple of nice fixes. Have fun!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Unless it's changed since release, Berserker Nailgun benefits from Support penetration bonus, and it's awesome. More of that stuff would be great.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Questioner86 posted:

I really like it when people play off-perk but we need to be careful that we don't make only certain perk combos attractive so that we can encourage people to try out new stuff rather than sticking to the stuff that's buffed by their current perk. Definitely something we'll experiment with in the future!

New preview update later today with some bug fixes that address some of the balance concerns I've seen in this thread. Grenade pistol isn't any good for demo? That might be because it wasn't applying the impact damage for the projectiles on-line. Whoops.

Anyway, updates are shrinking in size as we get closer to the release version of the patch but there are still a couple of nice fixes. Have fun!

god bless

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Oh dang I thought the grenade pistol was just doing way less damage to 6-player strength waves, compared to my solo offline experience. It'll be nice to see how it performs now that it's functioning as intended!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DatonKallandor posted:

Unless it's changed since release, Berserker Nailgun benefits from Support penetration bonus, and it's awesome. More of that stuff would be great.

I don't think it does actually, the nailgun has 5 Penetration by default. It think that's also how the nailgun's ricochet works - each ricochet is 1 point of penetration, so a nail that misses all zeds will ricochet five times. Or single nail will go through 5 clots and hit a sixth behind them. It's a good gun.

Questioner86 posted:

Grenade pistol isn't any good for demo? That might be because it wasn't applying the impact damage for the projectiles on-line.

That explains a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Questioner86 posted:

I COULDA TOLD YOU THAT :colbert:

good to see it's getting fixed though! Can't wait to try the Actually Working As Intended grenade pistol. Also really liking the pace of beta fixes. can this be the new normal for the rest of EA?