Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

NESguerilla posted:

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was pretty meh. If anyone is on the fence I'd say it's pretty skippable.

The 10 minutes of actual humor based around the impending apocalypse were pretty good, shame the other 90 minutes are dedicated to a generic MPDG romance.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched the first episode of Narcos and it was pretty dope and good

Spoiler: Pablo Escobar dies.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chichevache posted:

Spoiler: Pablo Escobar dies.

You motherfucker :mad:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
:smugdog:

It's fun so far. Just started episode 2. I love all these faaabulous haircuts.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

NESguerilla posted:

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was pretty meh. If anyone is on the fence I'd say it's pretty skippable.

Sleeveless posted:

The 10 minutes of actual humor based around the impending apocalypse were pretty good, shame the other 90 minutes are dedicated to a generic MPDG romance.
I have a soft spot for romcoms, and I thought the romance was overall sweet, plus the apocalypse elements gave the movie enough edge for me.

So I guess my general recommendation would be, "If you're a fan of the genre..."

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 29, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I could have gotten into it more but the romance felt really poorly developed and rushed to me.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah this pretty much sums it up for me.

I like how these movies always fetishize this type of girl, while making GBS threads all over the male equivalent. "look how insufferable these hipster guys are, but oh man it's so intriguing when it's a girl. She's so quirky! Look she's walking around with some vinyl and wearing a military jacket! so mysterious. "

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
We're two days until the start of September, and I still can't find a list of what's being added and removed from Netflix next month. Usually I can just do a simple google search each month to find out, but that's not working for me this time. Anyone have a reliable site/list for September?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Watch Penguins of Madagascar, solid entertainment with a simple story and good voice acting. Spot all the octopuses names for a bingo card.

Do not watch Wild Canaries, unstructured masturbatory tale of a young couple in NY trying to resist friends hitting on them. There is supposedly a mysterious death thrown in for good measure, but the whole thing is so dumb they have two characters literary explain at the audience instead of third act.

*Both available on canadian netflix, other access may differ.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
White God is really good, but if you're going into it expecting Conquest of the Planet of the Apes with dogs, you'll be sorely disappointed.

It's a fairy tale like Babe. Except instead of pigs, it's dogs.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Junkie Disease posted:

I tossed in the towel when a couple of kids adopted a A.I. fairy as their child.

You know what? It gets worse. I watched first season as someone I trust recommended it, so I stuck it out. About two thirds of the way through it goes from relatively benign on the Japanese weirdness scale to watch list material. The adoption was still in the benign part.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Narcos is good. I need to get into selling cocaine.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
Someone here mentioned "Cutthroat kitchen" on netflix.
So I watched it.

Its a reality show I that doesn't annoy the poo poo out of me.
Theres no drawn out drama about some contestants dad dying of cancer.
Theres no crying.
The judges don't make the show all about them.
The host doesn't want to make me kill myself.
Its a short, to the point, reality show about cooking with a pretty nifty twist.
The bidding strategy is actually interesting.

I don't even like cooking shows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know if Narcos keeps up the Goodfellas-esque feeling throughout the whole series, but I'm liking it so far.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

computer parts posted:

I don't know if Narcos keeps up the Goodfellas-esque feeling throughout the whole series, but I'm liking it so far.

"As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a drug lord."

Where does it rank in quality compared to other netflix stuff so far? I consider the first season of House of Cards to be their best stuff so far. I wonder where it sits next to that.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hardware was a pretty interesting choice of movie to watch while tired and drunk. That poo poo was like a hellish fever dream.

Narcos was awesome. Netflix really puts out some amazing shows. Not on the level of some of HBO's best stuff, but easily on the level of a network like AMC.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Hardware was a pretty interesting choice of movie to watch while tired and drunk. That poo poo was like a hellish fever dream

I first watched Hardware when I was like 20 and high off my rear end. It was loving terrifying/invigorating.

And somehow that feeling carried over to sober me watching it again later. It's a work of lunatic art.

Someone do a Hardware thread already. I am too lazy for the record.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Blue Ruin is still as wonderful as the first time I watched it. It's one of my favorite movies of 2014, which is pretty high praise considering what a good year it was for movies. It's a beautiful, low budget revenge movie that plays with a lot of the tropes of traditional revenge movies. The main character isn't some super spy Liam Neeson type, he's just a normal dude who tries to take revenge on the man who killed his parents, and he fails constantly in ways you would never see in you usual revenge flick.

It's low budget, but it's still beautifully shot, and the acting is superb with a couple exceptions. The lead actor in particular gives a wonderful performance, Macon Blair I believe his name was. One movie I would compare it to is No Country for Old Men, which has a similar tone and scope, and the action is similar as well in that tense, slow burn kind of way. Not everyone will love it, but I still think everyone should give it a watch at least once.

Weird coincidence for this to show up in the thread. I finally got around to watching this today. Pretty much agree with your reaction, it's a beautiful movie! I felt it took a little too long to close out, but that's the only (tiny) nitpick I have. Gonna have to keep my eye on this director. I'd heard it billed as a dark comedy but although there's a bit of humour to be found from his early attempts at revenge, it's definitely closer in tone to No Country.

I always appreciate when a movie can tell a story through visuals alone and I don't think there's any dialogue in this for the first 30 minutes or so. Pretty impressive.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Found this very non-comprehensive list:

Available 9/8/15
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Available 9/10
Longmire, season 4
Available 9/16
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part One (2014)
Available 9/24/15
Thor: the Dark World (2013)
Also coming in September, exact dates TBD
Hemlock Grove, season 3
Grimm, season 4
Revenge, season 4

Haven't seen the new Hunger Games yet, and Age of Ultron, if a bit disappointing, is still worth watching if you're into Marvel.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Accident Underwater posted:

Found this very non-comprehensive list:

Available 9/8/15
Available 9/10
Longmire, season 4
Available 9/16
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part One (2014)
Available 9/24/15
Thor: the Dark World (2013)
Also coming in September, exact dates TBD
Hemlock Grove, season 3
Grimm, season 4
Revenge, season 4

Haven't seen the new Hunger Games yet, and Age of Ultron, if a bit disappointing, is still worth watching if you're into Marvel.

Hemlock Grove is still a thing?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A more complete list here, that weirdly doesn't have any of the stuff listed above:

Available September 1
Hamlet (1990)
Hardball (2001)
Heather McDonald: I Don’t Mean To Brag (2014)
Lawrence of Arabia: Restored Version (1962)
Masters of the Universe (1987)
Mississippi Damned (2009)
Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood: Volume 1
Mouk: Season 1
Our Man in Tehran (2013)
Pandas: The Journey Home (2014)
Person of Interest: Seasons 1-3 (Season 4 arriving on 9/22)
Rambo: First Blood (1982)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)
Rambo III: Ultimate Edition (1988)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl (2005)
The League: Season 6
The Monster Squad (1987)
Up in the Air (2009)

Available September 2
Black or White (2014)
Miss Julie (2014)

Available September 3
Drumline: A New Beat (2014)

Available September 4
Bad Night (2015)
Madame Secretary: Season 1

Available September 9
Teen Beach Movie 2 (2015)
Longmire: Season 4, Netflix original
Available September 11
About Elly (2009)
God Bless the Child (2015)
Madame Bovary (2014)

Available September 12
It Happened Here (2015)
Portlandia: Season 5
The Roughnecks (2014)
Why Did I Get Married? (2007)

Available September 14
The Bank Job (2008)
The Road Within (2015)

Available September 15
Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
Reservation Road (2007)
The Blacklist: Season 2

Available September 17
The Mysteries of Laura: Season 1

Available September 18
Keith Richards: Under the Influence (2015), Netflix original

Available September 21
Gotham: Season 1
The Following: Season 3

Available September 22
Philomena (2013)
SMOSH: The Movie (2015)

Available September 23
The Loft (2015)

Available September 24
Iris (2014)

Available September 25
Blue Bloods: Season 5
Hawaii Five-0: Season 5
Parenthood: Season 6

Available September 26
The Canyons (2013)

Available September 27
The Walking Dead: Season 5

Available September 29
Bones: Season 10
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (2013)

Available September 30
Agatha Christie’s Poirot: Series 12

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They did Avengers 2 before regular Avengers?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just happened to catch a screening of About Elly the other night, it's really good, everybody should watch it when it goes up (the previous movie by Asghar Farhadi, of A Separation)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Monster squad? Awesome!

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

They did Avengers 2 before regular Avengers?

I don't know if they still have it up, but Netflix had Avengers 1 on there for a long time.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Season 2 Blacklist? Yes, I want all the Spader!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The internet is going to freak out when everyone discovers Monster Squad. Hopefully it gets the attention it deserves.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
This looks like a good month. Gonna make my wife watch Rambo. I also have somehow never seen Lawrence of Arabia, and I'm very excited for that.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Following as background TV in the gym. I tried The Blacklist but got immensely bored about ten episodes in. The season was stretched way too thin. There's only so much James Spader can do.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

wa27 posted:

Monster squad? Awesome!

Wolfman's got nards!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Wolfman's got nards!

Hahahh thats the exact scene I remembered as well

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Accident Underwater posted:

This looks like a good month. Gonna make my wife watch Rambo. I also have somehow never seen Lawrence of Arabia, and I'm very excited for that.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Following as background TV in the gym. I tried The Blacklist but got immensely bored about ten episodes in. The season was stretched way too thin. There's only so much James Spader can do.

Lawrence of Arabia is quite a trek so make sure you carve out enough time. One of my favorite movies of all time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good to see Pedro Pascal in something new. narcos I a cool show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NESguerilla posted:

Good to see Pedro Pascal in something new. narcos I a cool show.

It's my favorite Netflix Original by far. Pascal totally knocks it out of the park and into the next galaxy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's my favorite Netflix Original by far. Pascal totally knocks it out of the park and into the next galaxy.

i knew it was a great performance when that one guy asks for the file back and he drops it on his desk in the most dickhead way possible

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Uh why is this not bolded? Dolph Lundgren as HeMan. What is not to like?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Lawrence of Arabia: Restored Version (1962)
Rambo: First Blood (1982)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)
Rambo III: Ultimate Edition (1988)

I've been meaning to see Lawrence of Arabia for awhile. Also, the Rambo movies is good, especially the first one, which I need to rewatch. Tense stuff that defies its legacy.

I've also heard rumors that Mind Game is hitting streaming on the 2nd, so if you want to see some insane wild-rear end animation, look forward to that.

Because of Wes Craven's death, I'd also like to remind everyone that A Nightmare on Elm Street, New Nightmare, and Scream are on Netflix, and are varying degrees of great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I've been meaning to see Person of Interest so I'm glad that's up.

Also I finally get to see Lawrence of Arabia, now to find 4 hours of free time. :shepicide:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quote:

Available 9/8/15

This list is so bad.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Uh why is this not bolded? Dolph Lundgren as HeMan. What is not to like?

Agreed, it owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X318WOYDtak

Accident Underwater fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 31, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Faults is a fun, sleazy little B-noir. I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The internet is going to freak out when everyone discovers Monster Squad. Hopefully it gets the attention it deserves.

Shane Black's first big movie script!