Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Does the mjd still work while the entosis is running? or while pointed? I don't think I've used a mjd yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Does the mjd still work while the entosis is running? or while pointed? I don't think I've used a mjd yet.

Entosis doesn't turn off prop mods (as of now, it would be a good change). You can MJD with an entosis on or a warp disruptor. A warp scrambler turns off your MJD.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Voyager I posted:

It's even more explicit in this case. Nothing about transferring your consciousness into a datastream or anything. The cloning process starts by outright killing the capsuleer, because brain activity interferes with the scan. This individual is dead and their existence is terminated. Their brain is physically reproduced down to individual neural pathways in a new body, creating a new, distinct individual who happens to have the memories, personality, skills, etc of the capsuleer they were copied from. It's generally simpler to think of them being the same person, but consciousness transfer is never part of the process. Hell, if you didn't have to kill someone to scan their brains with sufficient detail a living person could make copies of themselves freely.

How do you explain jump clones, then? Do I die every time I jump from Solitude to Tash-Murkon and back? If so, does that mean every jump clone is single-use and has to be replaced? CCP explicitly states that the brain scanner used in capsules works lightning fast at the cost of rupturing and lesioning brain tissue, resulting in an irreparably brain-dead clone. I would explain it as the jump clone scanner working more slowly to perfectly preserve brain tissue and implants, allowing you to later re-inhabit that body so you don't have to make dozens of jumps home in a ship.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 31, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ScreamingLlama posted:

How do you explain jump clones, then? Do I die every time I jump from Solitude to Tash-Murkon and back?
Jump clones are inert copies of yourself. See:

ullerrm posted:

Not quite true -- you have to kill someone to scan them, but once you have the scan, you can replicate indefinitely from it. Only laws prevent this.
So Jump Cloning is more the process of 'put your current self into cold sleep, wake up you #2 halfway across the galaxy.'

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

So Jump Cloning is more the process of 'put your current self into cold sleep, wake up you #2 halfway across the galaxy.'

Not quite, if that were true your jump clone would not have any new skills you trained in the interim between you installing and then using the clone. Someone has to die for the clone's memory to be updated.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

causticBeet posted:

But what do you do when they inevitably undock cerbs or cynabals on you?
Both of those will die horribly if they're in range of an RHML golem unless you have a lot of them. You'd do better with a brick-tanked Armageddon or a neuting Domi.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

orange juche posted:

Not quite, if that were true your jump clone would not have any new skills you trained in the interim between you installing and then using the clone. Someone has to die for the clone's memory to be updated.

Because game mechanics.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Why doesn't entosis just work like the hictor bubble? No remote assistance and no prop mod.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Azuth0667 posted:

Why doesn't entosis just work like the hictor bubble? No remote assistance and no prop mod.

blowfish posted:

Because game mechanics.

Not empty quoting.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does Black Legion abandoning Fountain mean that, just months after winning Dominionsov, we've already won Fozziesov?

To be fair, I think Fozzie is getting too much hate. He's one person an an entire team with a management chain above him. Blaming Fozzie for All Things Sov is the equivalent of saying "Thanks, Obama" when you see the sales tax on a bag of Cheetos.

I do think that CCP is too focused on making fair game mechanics, though, and not enough on making a sandbox. In particular, we need a less fair, lumpier distribution of resources. The cool thing is that there's so much potential: the EVE economy has a huge variety of resources, and restricting even some to certain regions could drive all sorts of conflict. I think CCP does fairly well with things like the ESS, Siphons, and MJD platforms. Some gets used, and some don't, but players end up driving the content associated with them. When CCP tries to make a perfectly-balanced game of tug of war, they do less well.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Azuth0667 posted:

Because Fozzie's vision for Eve is for everyone to fly all Interceptors and T3 Destroyers, all the time.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

xtothez posted:

Because Fozzie's vision for Eve is for everyone to fly all Interceptors and T3 Destroyers, all the time.

A Caracal or Cerberus is neither, so this is clearly wrong. :colbert:

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

ullerrm posted:

source your quotes plz

- Donald J. Trump, 06/25/2013.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

blowfish posted:

Because game mechanics.

Pretty much, any argument about cloning mechanics can be handwaved away as :ccp: because gently caress if they're gonna clarify how your jump clone can keep your implants yet your medical clone cannot.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

orange juche posted:

Pretty much, any argument about cloning mechanics can be handwaved away as :ccp: because gently caress if they're gonna clarify how your jump clone can keep your implants yet your medical clone cannot.

Cause in one case its most likely blown the gently caress up and in the other its in a station like you dont even need that much lore for "when i change clones in a place with clone doctors or some poo poo they make it work but when you are filled with bullets its harder to preserve the implants :v:

Ptylerdactyl
Aug 3, 2015

Azuth0667 posted:

you're partially right. it already cuts off remote assitance. and now there's a "speed limit" of only 4km/s which apparently is somewhat broken? something about if you get webbed, and go over 4km/s before entosis, you won't go under that cap and will still go that speed. :shrug:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I want to believe destructible citadels are part of a unified plan to make life riskier and more rewarding based on distance to an NPC null station.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Delta Echo posted:

I want to believe destructible citadels are part of a unified plan to make life riskier and more rewarding based on distance to an NPC null station.

They're a lovely loving idea and no-one will put anything of substance in them, if things that are docked/stored are destroyed/lootable when thing pops.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

They're a lovely loving idea and no-one will put anything of substance in them.

Don't be that anti-fun. You know very well CCP could just force everyone to use them by making all stations destructible. Followed by phasing out the old POS-system. :colbert:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
The volume of an implant is 1m^3. This means a full set of implants is 10m^3. The volume of an average entire human body is ~0.07m^3.

The point is, taking any ccp lore bullshit seriously is a dumb idea for stupid people. Don't waste your time.

edit: and the whole ~but your clone isnt really you because you die~ thing is stupid poo poo for people who want to jerk off to the concept of a soul. You are nothing more than the ongoing chemical reactions in your brain. If they copy that, they copy you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The volume of an implant is 1m^3. This means a full set of implants is 10m^3. The volume of an average entire human body is ~0.07m^3.

The point is, taking any ccp lore bullshit seriously is a dumb idea for stupid people. Don't waste your time.

No no no. The cubic meter per implant includes all the styrofoam packing materials and cardboard and those horrible woven plastic straps that shred your hands when you try to break them without a pair of industrial shears. When you plug them you toss all the packing materials and the volume shrinks to a few cc.

:Lore:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

edit: and the whole ~but your clone isnt really you because you die~ thing is stupid poo poo for people who want to jerk off to the concept of a soul. You are nothing more than the ongoing chemical reactions in your brain. If they copy that, they copy you.

Also love is just a chemical reaction using dopamine and seratonin receptors. Poetry is just words that sound good and food is just a collection of fats, proteins and other essential nutrients for processing by your digestive system.

ullerrm posted:

Yes, it can run entosis and bastion simultaneously. Ditto for carriers running entosis and triage.

We were looking at entosis golems at one point, but not enough people can fly them.

I will train Caldari Battleship V right this instant if this were so much as hinted at. I want a reason to fly a Golem so badly you have no idea.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

orange juche posted:

They're a lovely loving idea and no-one will put anything of substance in them, if things that are docked/stored are destroyed/lootable when thing pops.

I don't think that's a worry.
http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/i-feel-safe-in-citadel-city/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Also love is just a chemical reaction using dopamine and seratonin receptors. Poetry is just words that sound good and food is just a collection of fats, proteins and other essential nutrients for processing by your digestive system.

Knowing how they work scientifically just makes all those things more significant and real.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Everyone docked in a citadel when it pops should lose 20% of their highest rank level V skill.

Joking aside, the Null Deal article on tmc from last year has a map by Innominate, of systems color coded according to distance from NPC null stations. Is that not also a map of how boned people will be when their citadel pops?

How hosed is that map relative to true sec. Wouldn't true sec need to match that distance map for the relocation drawback to make sense? It's as if systems might approach wormhole -1.0 truesec, the further out they go. Almost.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

No no no. The cubic meter per implant includes all the styrofoam packing materials and cardboard and those horrible woven plastic straps that shred your hands when you try to break them without a pair of industrial shears. When you plug them you toss all the packing materials and the volume shrinks to a few cc.

This, but replace packaging with all the fancy sterilisation machinery needed so your brain doesn't start necrotizing the moment you cram in that +5 idiocy implant you had lying around in the same desk drawer as your used condoms. Store smart, store secure!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Libluini posted:

This, but replace packaging with all the fancy sterilisation machinery needed so your brain doesn't start necrotizing the moment you cram in that +5 idiocy implant you had lying around in the same desk drawer as your used condoms. Store smart, store secure!

Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Kiryen posted:

I ask this question looking for the real answer, but just to reassure everyone, I am not thinking of actually attempting it:

Can a Marauder entosis whilst in Bastion Mode?

Oh man, Bastion Mode? So much has changed since i last logged in. Another one to read up on.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Ptylerdactyl posted:

you're partially right. it already cuts off remote assitance. and now there's a "speed limit" of only 4km/s which apparently is somewhat broken? something about if you get webbed, and go over 4km/s before entosis, you won't go under that cap and will still go that speed. :shrug:

The max(4000m/sec) function is applied after all other effects. It's not that webs won't work, per se, it's that if a web wouldn't have put you under 4,000m/sec anyways, you still go 4,000m/sec. Think of it as an effect that is applied last, after everything else.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

EponymousMrYar posted:

That wouldn't quite explain it -- after all, that would mean that #2 wouldn't know what you had been doing since the last time it was frozen, and #1 wouldn't know what #2 was doing while it was in cold sleep. Eve's technology level allows you to simulate a brain in software, and to recreate a brain in flesh, but they don't yet have brain editing to introduce new knowledge. (Which makes no sense, really, because how do they implement hardwirings, then?) And, again, their technology for brainscanning requires that the subject be deceased, because brain activity interferes with the scanning process.

So it's extremely likely that it's just a controlled version of medical cloning -- they're putting you on a table, giving you a lethal injection, and scanning your brain the instant you die. Brainscan is sent to the location with your jumpclone, and the brain is reconstructed in the brainless body that you paid to have installed there in the past.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

These are all true statements. I get that you probably think this is some sort of :iceburn:, but it isn't.

edit: Good poetry should evoke an emotional response, but those emotions are, again, chemicals in your brain.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ullerrm posted:

That wouldn't quite explain it -- after all, that would mean that #2 wouldn't know what you had been doing since the last time it was frozen, and #1 wouldn't know what #2 was doing while it was in cold sleep. Eve's technology level allows you to simulate a brain in software, and to recreate a brain in flesh, but they don't yet have brain editing to introduce new knowledge. (Which makes no sense, really, because how do they implement hardwirings, then?) And, again, their technology for brainscanning requires that the subject be deceased, because brain activity interferes with the scanning process.

I thought that in the lore, they do have brain editing, because that's how skillbooks work? The process is just a lot slower than putting your existing memories into a clone's brain.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Ynglaur posted:

The max(4000m/sec) function is applied after all other effects. It's not that webs won't work, per se, it's that if a web wouldn't have put you under 4,000m/sec anyways, you still go 4,000m/sec.

This annoys me more than it should just because of how lazy it seems. They're working with what they have, and I assumed it was going to work like you mentioned when it was announced, but it's just so plainly bandaidy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ullerrm posted:

So it's extremely likely that it's just a controlled version of medical cloning -- they're putting you on a table, giving you a lethal injection, and scanning your brain the instant you die. Brainscan is sent to the location with your jumpclone, and the brain is reconstructed in the brainless body that you paid to have installed there in the past.

But what about implants?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kesper North posted:

I thought that in the lore, they do have brain editing, because that's how skillbooks work? The process is just a lot slower than putting your existing memories into a clone's brain.

This is correct. "skillbooks" create neural pathways in your brain, it just takes a while because active brains are fragile things. Implants are fluffed as improving your brain to be able to better deal with certain attributes, and I'd imagine hardwirings work much the same way (like how drugs don't make you learn more about how to shoot man, they make you paranoid and twitchy but are also space adderal, and that makes you better at shoot man).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

gwrtheyrn posted:

But what about implants?

podding destroys implants

jumpcloning would likely surgically remove the implants (given that they don't have to worry about damaging your brain anymore) and put them in the new clone that they install at that facility

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

gwrtheyrn posted:

But what about implants?

Scanning your brain is a destructive process; you're left with a slightly-above-room-temperature puddle of goo when it's done, with your implants floating in it. Rinse them off and set them aside to stick in your clone when you JC back.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ullerrm posted:

Scanning your brain is a destructive process; you're left with a slightly-above-room-temperature puddle of goo when it's done, with your implants floating in it. Rinse them off and set them aside to stick in your clone when you JC back.

So, we should theoretically be able to use some poor scrub's implants when podded out of a freighter or Orca in highsec with a multi-billion +5 set? Or try to take the poor schmuck alive?

Do Blood Raider ships have a bonus to harvesting living humans?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Draining their arterial blood maybe. Blood Raiders are vampire catholic-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ach -- then it is the Sansha ships that ought to be specialized in harvesting bodies for zombiefication -- assuming there is a market for post-consumer implants.

• Locked thread