Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Here is what happens when you have a rollover in a Miata with no rollbar:

And here is what a rollover in a Miata WITH a rollbar looks like:

So, here is you without a rollbar:

HTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A good Sigma X post.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The problem is you're backpedaling and arguing instead of just taking the very good advice, saying it was a dumb idea and moving on.

Savington called you an idiot because that was a loving idiotic statement, own it and move on and we can all be friends ok?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

A good Sigma X post.

TBH I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but the Miata was still the most fun car I've owned and I greatly enjoyed all forms of motorsport I participated in while driving it. I was also never dumb enough to track it without a rollbar, or depend on the fiberglass hardtop for rollover protection, precisely because of pictures like those.

A NA-NC Miata's front windshield will fold like a napkin in even slow-speed rollover, and there is literally nothing else preventing the car from sitting flat other than the seatback and your spine. Don't track it without a rollbar, and don't buy one of those mousetrap "rollbars", either. Get something with proper chassis tie-in and bracing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

leica posted:

The problem is you're backpedaling and arguing instead of just taking the very good advice, saying it was a dumb idea and moving on.

Savington called you an idiot because that was a loving idiotic statement, own it and move on and we can all be friends ok?

Fine. Never track without a rollbar. My cavalier attitude was dumb.

Sigma X posted:

What's a Lotus Esprit doing in there?

(also I wasn't talking about no rollbar, I was talking about an NC with a factory rollbar and pictures of rolled over NCs look a lot better than any of these NAs and NBs)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Sigma X posted:

That's me in the red shirt. Buttonwillow, summer of '07. That car had a single-hoop bar with no rear legs or diagonals, and the bar was tweaked backwards in the car. Insufficient rollover protection and the driver (shirtless guy) is very lucky to walk away from it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, those pics make me want to get a rollbar for the street, doesn't hardog make "street safe" bars?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

leica posted:

Jesus, those pics make me want to get a rollbar for the street, doesn't hardog make "street safe" bars?

that's what I'm wondering, they say don't get a rollbar for the street but that dead guy is on the street :aaa:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ethanol posted:

that's what I'm wondering, they say don't get a rollbar for the street but that dead guy is on the street :aaa:

He's not actually dead.

from clubroadster posted:

I posted this a while back; here's the story:

I rolled my '01 Crystal Blue in April. No roll bar. I got my head and face gouged and cut up BAD, and came real close to bleeding to death pinned upside down in the car. Hospital, 7 weeks off work, and now facing 1 to 2 years of facial plastic surgery to repair the bloody meat that the trauma team did their best to sew up. Nasty. (Update: 3 surgeries so far, 9 weeks off work total.) And with all that, I was extremely, extremely lucky. Should have died or worse. When I replace my Miata, it will have a roll bar, period. No hurry, because I can't be out in the sun for the next couple years.

As others have said, Miatas are hard to roll over, but they'll obediently do it when the laws of physics say they must. All it takes is a small mistake, or lapse in attention, in the wrong place. In my case, it was the wrong line through a downhill hairpin, getting one wheel off the edge of the road, causing the right side of the car to go up a mountainside. I don't remember the flip. All I know is I slid on the asphalt with a ton of Miata strapped to my back, leaving about a 12-foot skidmark of blood and skin and tissue on the road. The windshield folded down flat. I'm about 6 feet tall, and the seatbelt and the 01's high seatbacks somehow kept me from breaking my neck, but they couldn't protect me from getting hacked up real good.

I had considered the argument that a roll bar can cause rear-of-head injury in a rear-ender, and that you'll probably never roll a Miata. There's some merit to that, but from my experience, I'll never drive the twisties again without a roll bar. The answer might be different for those whose driving is mostly in traffic, but for me, the answer is the tallest bar that will clear the soft top, with real good padding and/or tall seats from an '01 or later Miata.

---Detonator

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That guy is lucky as hell; however, the reason why it flipped was because he was CUTTING IT UP on the streets. Controlled environments, peeps.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Agreed, however with all the roll over accidents I've seen lately around here it makes me worry about all the other idiots driving around. Honestly I'm more worried about my son because he's usually with me in the Miata. Only way I'd get a roll bar though is if were WAY back far enough to prevent heads from bouncing off it in the event of an accident. Not sure if it's even possible.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
For anyone else with an NC PRHT, this is the only roll bar you can get for your car. It requires the trunk to be removed, but will work. https://www.flyinmiata.com/nc-transformer-roll-bar.html
There's some pics on the page that make it look like it works just as the stock bars do when it's not up for track. Dunno how I feel about the bar's need for bolts to be removed and installed for proper fitment - could someone with roll bar experience chime in to say if that's a bad design?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Seat cooler?

I ordered this, it was in stock less than 4 months ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IV50JTS

That fan between your legs pulls up cool air and pushes it through the seat and back. The airflow is most noticeable up through the seat portion, and in cooler temperatures, but even in hot weather it circulates enough air to prevent you from sweating against the seat. I think it's totally worth it to be able to drive to work (~25 minutes) and not end up with sweaty clothes in hot weather (top up or down, A/C on or off, etc.)

It does add about an inch of depth to the seat and back, so if you're tall and barely fit in the car as-is something like this won't work for you. Even I had to change my seating position and angle, but I got used to it and prefer it this way. I'll go out and take some photos in a little bit.

Phone posted:

E: motorcycle track days put down sandbags and barriers to protect the riders from the track barriers that are not body friendly. If you're riding on the track, you're in full leathers and whatnot so it isn't analogous.

I think his motorcycle analogy was referring not to racing in specific but riding in general. Even with ATGATT you can still get killed in a bad highside or by being hit by another vehicle. Despite it being more dangerous in terms of operator safety, there's nothing objectively wrong with two-wheeled transportation.

ethanol posted:

does anybody have pictures of stock miata rollovers, like do the ubars just pancake or what. My fear because I don't track at all is that someday I will get tboned and the car will flip over or some poo poo, completely outside of my control

The chances of that scenario happening to you on the street are exceedingly remote, I think. I mean, it's good to be cautious, but to get rolled over in a Miata in a t-bone would require a substantial amount of force. Like, a train? Or maybe a semi? Something really big & heavy, going fast and with something low enough to catch under the car and flip it rather than pushing down on it towards the ground. In that type of collision I think you'd have more things to worry about than a roll bar.

leica posted:

This one shows it doesn't take much speed either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o073v-XQIQE

Nice find. That's a good illustration of a slow roll, and the recovery procedure. This roll wasn't just about speed, though; it looks like he hit the gravel and slid, while if he hit grass he might not've rolled at that speed.

GutBomb posted:

You people have convinced me that if I do it to get a roll bar. You've also convinced me not to ask simple questions in the forum lest I have my intentions of asking misconstrued and be called an idiot multiple times for thinking that I'd probably be ok in an extremely unlikely rollover with the factory roll hoops.

Don't get the wrong impression, they're just really serious about this topic because they've seen what can go wrong. The thread is usually more relaxed. Don't get turned off from Miata goons by this one topic!

Sigma X posted:

So, here is you without a rollbar:

HTH!

I was going to add this:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

Iirc as long as a seat back is there to stop you from smacking your noggin on the bar you should be good

I have wanted one for my s2k ever since I drove by a rollover accident on 495 last summer going to the beach.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To get away from this bullshit for a while, I tried to remove my stock non-bose radio with home made tools and the right side came out a little but the left side won't move even a bit. Any tips how to get it out?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Savington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08

See if you can spot the mistake he makes.

Just curious, what was the mistake? Seems like a bit too much speed into the corner?

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Savington posted:

You might not be, but you didn't come here looking for actual advice. You came here for yes-men to tell you that it's totally OK to take unnecessary and completely avoidable risks with your own life. I've been doing what you want to do for a very long time, and I'm telling you that you're an idiot. I'm telling you this less for your own well-being (because it's clear you won't listen anyway), and more for the well-being of others who might read this in the future and think that it's OK to emulate your astounding stupidity.

Just to clarify: you didn't come here looking to give him actual advice either. You don't actually care about him at all; it's just an excuse to wave your e-cock around, show off your superior TRACK DAY BRO knowledge, and call him an idiot a bunch of times.

SA is built on a solid foundation of petty nastiness, and that's why it's failing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Trans Ferdinand posted:

SA is built on a solid foundation of petty nastiness, and that's why it's failing.

Do tell :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trans Ferdinand posted:

We should strive to be more like Reddit and become a haven for pedophiles.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

To get away from this bullshit for a while, I tried to remove my stock non-bose radio with home made tools and the right side came out a little but the left side won't move even a bit. Any tips how to get it out?

Is your stock HU still one of those that takes the Ford-style extraction tools? If so, I've seen people successfully turn coat hangers into those tools, but it could just be that you just don't have them in the right shape to catch the tabs on that one side. I think one side gave me a little difficulty (with the actual tools) but I remember getting it out by wiggling the tools. You might just need to pony up the few bucks for the real tools if you can't get someone to loan them locally (is this the kind of loaner tool AutoZone or similar might have?)

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Just to clarify: you didn't come here looking to give him actual advice either. You don't actually care about him at all; it's just an excuse to wave your e-cock around, show off your superior TRACK DAY BRO knowledge, and call him an idiot a bunch of times.

But nobody else came here to berate him; everyone who responded is a thread regular. :confused:

Are...are you trying to troll? Because you're doing it weird. I'm scared.... :ohdear:

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

leica posted:

Do tell :allears:

I don't need to; you can just look at the thread titles on the first few pages of GBS.

"Stupid poo poo (X) actually believe(s)"

"India is the most loving disgusting country on the planet"

"Des Moines is loving awful...big surprise"

"Hicks up in arms over their dirt farms being called ugly"

Back in the halcyon days of my youth, I played Friday Night Magic religiously. I noticed one thing at the card shop - nerds LOVE to put each other down. You take a disenfranchised, downtrodden segment of society and they'll fall all over each other trying to grind each other into the dirt.

That is essentially what happens on SA.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Atomizer posted:

But nobody else came here to berate him; everyone who responded is a thread regular. :confused:

Sockington didn't just come here to berate him; he broke a 15-day streak of NOT posting to come here and berate him.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Sockington didn't just come here to berate him; he broke a 15-day streak of NOT posting to come here and berate him.

Good thing Sockington didn't come in here.

I told Savington about it on Facebook because he has other poo poo to do such as run his Miata shop and post on Miata specific forums like Miata.net or Miataturbo. But yeah, you're right... Savington just came in here to score cheap points and berate him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mobby_6kl posted:

In my 2006 there is a single bolt on the left side of the HU that you have to get at from under the dash. It's a huge pain in the rear end but a wobble extension did the trick.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Phone posted:

Good thing Sockington didn't come in here.

I told Savington about it on Facebook because he has other poo poo to do such as run his Miata shop and post on Miata specific forums like Miata.net or Miataturbo. But yeah, you're right... Savington just came in here to score cheap points and berate him.

Haha, you messaged him on Facebook, were like "yo Savvy, there's some idiot on SA who thinks he doesn't need a rollbar. You know what to do."

That's really sad.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Dude, chill. It's cool, I said something dumb and overreacted. Not the first time, won't be the last. But the dude is cool and knows what he's talking about.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I don't need to; you can just look at the thread titles on the first few pages of GBS.

Back in the halcyon days of my youth, I played Friday Night Magic religiously. I noticed one thing at the card shop - nerds LOVE to put each other down. You take a disenfranchised, downtrodden segment of society and they'll fall all over each other trying to grind each other into the dirt.

Are you seriously complaining right now or is this just a lovely troll

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

GutBomb posted:

Dude, chill. It's cool, I said something dumb and overreacted. Not the first time, won't be the last. But the dude is cool and knows what he's talking about.

He was a dick to you. It's kind of sad that you're defending him.

If he actually cared about your livelihood, he....wouldn't have been a dick to you. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Coming down on you like you're the classroom dunce is actually a good way to ensure that you get pissed off, storm off, go track your Miata with no rollbar, and end up an organ donor. The fact that you didn't speaks more to your levelheadness than anything else.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

leica posted:

Are you seriously complaining right now or is this just a lovely troll

You just proved my point. The fact that you can't accept that I'm actually being serious, that you assume I'm just fakeposting/trolling for my own personal amusement, because that's what everyone on SA does, right?

I don't buy into that poo poo; I don't see the point of posting things that I don't actually mean. It seems pretty manipulative and false to me!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Haha, you messaged him on Facebook, were like "yo Savvy, there's some idiot on SA who thinks he doesn't need a rollbar. You know what to do."

That's really sad.

me posted:

Man, I'm the worst. I can't really stand caviler attitudes towards track safety. I mean... To be fatalist as gently caress, if people flock to clubs and tracks that don't require roll over safety in a miata, the problem will sort itself out

Must be hard being clairvoyant [and deciding that this is the anthill on which you want to die on].

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SA = serious business

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Phone posted:

Must be hard being clairvoyant [and deciding that this is the anthill on which you want to die on].

I'm still amused that you messaged your buddy on Facebook based on an SA post. If I notified my friend every time someone on SA posted something stupid, his inbox would be full in short order.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Charged up my AC. Works surprisingly well and holds pressure.

Got the second can to bring it up to the correct lowside pressure and it never gets above 30. The compressor gets all angry and starts clunking. Purged some out. Bringing it down to vacuum when the auto hobby shop opens and I can use their A/C machine to see whats going on the high side =/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I'm still amused that you messaged your buddy on Facebook based on an SA post. If I notified my friend every time someone on SA posted something stupid, his inbox would be full in short order.

You're probably the cause of a lot of full inboxes right now.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Rhyno posted:

You're probably the cause of a lot of full inboxes right now.

I am posting the truth. It makes some people uncomfortable, because they've been drinking the Kool-Aid for so long that they can't perceive anyone transgressing the accepted norms.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you Donald Trump IRL?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Trans Ferdinand posted:

GBS, and hell, BYOB and FYAD are not the best representation of the whole of the SA forum community. I'd think, if you've been here for long enough, you'd be able to notice that the specific subfora can be quite serious.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Why are you stalking Sockington, and counting the number of days he hasn't posted? :stare:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Beep Beep

JDM numberz.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Atomizer posted:

GBS, and hell, BYOB and FYAD are not the best representation of the whole of the SA forum community. I'd think, if you've been here for long enough, you'd be able to notice that the specific subfora can be quite serious.

I have been here for long enough - longer than you, actually. GBS, BYOB, and FYAD are the most prominent forums. Therefore, you can get a sense of the overall "atmosphere" of SA by looking at them.

The fact that they actually had to create BYOB, a forum where you *have* to be nice to each other, should tell you everything you need to know.

quote:

Why are you stalking Sockington, and counting the number of days he hasn't posted? :stare:

I was not "stalking" Savington (I called him Sockington earlier). I was curious to see if he is normally a huge rear end in a top hat, or if this was just a special occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I have been here for long enough - longer than you, actually. GBS, BYOB, and FYAD are the most prominent forums. Therefore, you can get a sense of the overall "atmosphere" of SA by looking at them.

The fact that they actually had to create BYOB, a forum where you *have* to be nice to each other, should tell you everything you need to know.

I was not "stalking" Savington (I called him Sockington earlier). I was curious to see if he is normally a huge rear end in a top hat, or if this was just a special occasion.

Yeah, I'm familiar with regdates, I'm aware that you've been registered a bit longer than me. :jerkbag:

GBS et al. might be the most prominent subfora, however that doesn't mean you should mistake them as being representative of the entire community. High post count or whatever doesn't mean they make up the majority of the actual content on the SA forum. There are far, far more varied and thoughtful subfora like A.I. for example. Just because one idiot yells the loudest doesn't mean he represents an entire population; see, for example, Donald Trump.

As far as Savington is concerned, why would you even mention that? Have you ever heard of lurking? Why couldn't he just have been reading until feeling the need to post about an important car-safety-related topic?!? :psyduck: WTF dude?