Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr Pepper posted:

Part of it, I think from my own weeaboo entertainment consumption is that those familial terms seem to be used a bit more loosely in Japanese. You don't have to literally be someones grandfather for them to call you "Grandfather", if they're close enough to you it seems to be a respectful term.

I could be totally wrong!

You don't even really have to be close, there's just no generic word for "Sir" or "Ma'am" used without a name, so people (especially kids) will just kind of guess at an age range when addressing strangers. ("Hey grandma, need help crossing the street?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Amppelix posted:

After coming across a graveyard in Grandia 2 this has been bugging me. What is it with RPG protagonists and having no named family? It's always uncle and aunt this, like brother and sister that. Here we have the graveyard in Ryudo's home town. We find Ryudo's grandfather's grave! No wait, it's not his grandfather, it's just a very close unrelated old man who he calls grandfather. Also his sister, nope, wait, only "like a sister", no actual relation. His parents, who are presumably dead because of course they are, are nowhere to be seen. If you're going to go to the trouble of having characters who perform the roles of family, why couldn't they just be family? This is everywhere and I just don't quite get it.

I guess you do have your eeeeevil brother (who has the best voice acting in the game by the way) but it seems like brother is the only family allowed since it makes for easy rivalry scenarios.
Counter-point: The first Grandia.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Darthemed posted:

I finished Grandia 1 for the first time just last night! It was a fun game with a huge slump right around the end of the first disc that continued until you finally got to the meat of the second disc, which is like halfway in. The only thing I didn't like about the optional dungeons was that the enemies had optional dungeon difficulty, but didn't reward optional dungeon EXP.

B+ ending.

Legendarily S-rank epilogue :v:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The White Dragon posted:

I finished Grandia 1 for the first time just last night! It was a fun game with a huge slump right around the end of the first disc that continued until you finally got to the meat of the second disc, which is like halfway in. The only thing I didn't like about the optional dungeons was that the enemies had optional dungeon difficulty, but didn't reward optional dungeon EXP.

That seems to be a thing in Game Arts games in general; enemies in optional challenge areas in the Lunar and Grandia games usually give really disappointing XP relative to their difficulty. I guess their design philosophy is that if you're taking on optional challenges because you want to be challenged, you might not want to leave yourself overlevelled for the rest of the game in the process.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone remember, I think it was BoF3, there was this stupid desert and it goes into a third person view camera and you get some lame directions like follow this star and then follow this cactus or some poo poo to find your way through?

Yea I did that for so long and never, ever found my way through that. I must have spent a month off and on trying to get through that loving desert with no luck, even following guides and poo poo.

Just posting that because gently caress that poo poo and people were talking about BoF.

vv - At least I don't feel like such an idiot now.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 31, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Reason posted:

Anyone remember, I think it was BoF3, there was this stupid desert and it goes into a third person view camera and you get some lame directions like follow this star and then follow this cactus or some poo poo to find your way through?

Yea I did that for so long and never, ever found my way through that. I must have spent a month off and on trying to get through that loving desert with no luck, even following guides and poo poo.

Just posting that because gently caress that poo poo and people were talking about BoF.

That was near the end of BoF 3 and the directions you were given were mistranslated, so no wonder you never found the correct path. BoF 4 had something similar but it was about 1/3 into the game and you were given correct directions.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah that's one of the big hits against BoF3 I was getting at. It takes for goddamn ever to get through the desert even if you know exactly what to do (the directions it gave you were wrong) and don't start making the assumption you are doing something wrong after 5 minutes of nothing happening but random encounters.

It's awful and as I recall it happens right before the end of the game too. Like, way to kill your momentum.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Darthemed posted:

More proof for Grandia 1's superiority.

ImpAtom posted:

Parents are effectively a safeguard, especially for younger characters. A character without that safeguard is inherently more alone and thus more forced to take action on their own. It's the same reason their home/hometown/homeworld/whatever gets destroyed so often.

Well yeah ok, but if you're going to have parental substitutes anyway (uncle and aunt, an old couple who just took them in, etc.) why not just get it over with and call the mom and dad and think of a less cliched reason for your protagonist to start a journey. That specifically is the weirdest part to me, that you often have family anyway except that they go "But wait, it's not blood-related family!" What's the point then? You could just leave that part out unless your story specifically needs the parents to make an appearance later for a shocking revelation. Maybe I'm underestimating the number of stories where exactly that happens.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah that's one of the big hits against BoF3 I was getting at. It takes for goddamn ever to get through the desert even if you know exactly what to do (the directions it gave you were wrong) and don't start making the assumption you are doing something wrong after 5 minutes of nothing happening but random encounters.

It's awful and as I recall it happens right before the end of the game too. Like, way to kill your momentum.
Aren't the directions you get from some guy the first time correct, it's just the ones in your tent that you can actually check again are wrong?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zereth posted:

Aren't the directions you get from some guy the first time correct, it's just the ones in your tent that you can actually check again are wrong?

That might have been it. I think the directions in the Strategy Guide for the game were wrong too for that matter.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Some people grind just cause games have fun combat. Like I had no problem grinding out titles in Tales of Graces cause it was so fun fighting stuff.

If it's a turn based game though, I probably will never touch any aspect of grinding. Like Persona 3 and 4? Fuuuuuuuck that.

Counterpoint: Grinding in Resonance of Fate was a horrible chore. It's half turn based though.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

That flashy combat system is a blast until they gently caress up your party composition and potentially force you to accommodate by grinding 10+ levels to get up to speed. Caused me to quit the game entirely.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
operation darkness is good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

operation darkness is good

Operation Darkness is secretly the best Castlevania spinoff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure I actually got through the desert the first time, so something must have been right.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I just got SMTIV and I've been pumping my strength stat because I like hitting things. I checked online and a few people are saying STR sucks. I'm level 13 and have about 35 STR. Did I gently caress myself?

Edit: What does smirk do anyway?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RickDaedalus posted:

I just got SMTIV and I've been pumping my strength stat because I like hitting things. I checked online and a few people are saying STR sucks. I'm level 13 and have about 35 STR. Did I gently caress myself?

No. Dexterity matters more to the damage of physical skills. Having some Strength isn't a bad thing, but you should probably focus on Dex.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Oh, okay. So would I be completely fine if I just started dumping all my points into Dex starting now?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Heck yeah!

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

From what I remember, something with Smirk makes the thing more likely to dodge things until their next action and hit harder and/or get a critical with it. I think you get a chance at getting it if you hit a weakness or get a critical, but I don't think you can be in a perpetual Smirk state outside of one action from a DLC demon that just hands out Smirk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Well yeah ok, but if you're going to have parental substitutes anyway (uncle and aunt, an old couple who just took them in, etc.) why not just get it over with and call the mom and dad and think of a less cliched reason for your protagonist to start a journey. That specifically is the weirdest part to me, that you often have family anyway except that they go "But wait, it's not blood-related family!" What's the point then? You could just leave that part out unless your story specifically needs the parents to make an appearance later for a shocking revelation. Maybe I'm underestimating the number of stories where exactly that happens.
A lack of blood-related family limits the safe-guard while still allowing the character to have parental figures, just not ones that they live with or have any real control over them.

Not to mention making the character an orphan opens up your options for their backstory. Like, if the character is secretly part-dragon, if they have blood-relatives around then suddenly they have to be part-dragon too, or if their parents are around then one of them has to be a dragon, and aaah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

A lack of blood-related family limits the safe-guard while still allowing the character to have parental figures, just not ones that they live with or have any real control over them.

Not to mention making the character an orphan opens up your options for their backstory. Like, if the character is secretly part-dragon, if they have blood-relatives around then suddenly they have to be part-dragon too, or if their parents are around then one of them has to be a dragon, and aaah.

To be fair I'd love to see that in an RPG.

Just a totally happy family where the mom happens to be a 30 foot tall dragon. She makes your protagonist breakfast before he goes off to adventure.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

RickDaedalus posted:

Make most battles even more of a cakewalk because someone decided doing extra damage and getting an additional turn wasn't enough of a bonus for knowing FIRE HURT ICE MAN

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

I think a lot of writers feel that if they gave the hero's family members names then they would have to make them plot important (see Evil Brother in Grandia 2). So unless they specifically want a plot about a family member they try to avoid the area as much as possible. Otherwise you end up with situations like people being confused that Goku's brother is a chump villain that's never mentioned again.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Capcom no. :smith:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How many RPGs have a truly mundane protagonist who just manages to save the {PERSON/PLACE} anyway?

Secret of Evermore comes to mind. Secret of Mana had you as a chosen one iirc, so that's out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how mudane is mudane? Like I can think of plenty where the protagonist isn't the chosen one or anything, but they tend to have some import within the setting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I'd love to see that in an RPG.

Just a totally happy family where the mom happens to be a 30 foot tall dragon. She makes your protagonist breakfast before he goes off to adventure.
The 'waking protagonist up the morning of the festival' cliche, but she wakes him up by roaring and breathing a small amount of fire

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

nuru posted:

How many RPGs have a truly mundane protagonist who just manages to save the {PERSON/PLACE} anyway?

Secret of Evermore comes to mind. Secret of Mana had you as a chosen one iirc, so that's out.

chrono trigger

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, if an enemy hits a weakness while you're Smirk(ing?) they won't get a turn bonus, and I think attackers can't get a critical on anyone Smirking. Smirk also gives you an attack boost and if everyone on your team is Smirking you regenerate 50% of your HP and MP. So that's nice.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm really impressed with Grandia 2's hard mode so far. I know some information somewhere said they'd just upped the health on monsters some flat percentage, but not having played the original difficulty at all this seems really well balanced and sometimes even pretty hard. I haven't at all run into situations where battles drag on (which could be a worry what with increased health); most common enemies you can kill in one or two hits with their elemental weakness; in fact if they had any less health I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even bother casting spells. Standard enemies can also surprise you with some pretty powerful moves so if you try to just coast through battles you can get hosed, it's not just a case of "I could sit here, spam standard attack and win anyway but that's slower than casting spells" like it sometimes feels like in RPGs.

Bosses fare a little bit more poorly in the difficulty department, because I can pretty confidently say I have fought exactly two hard bosses in the game up to beating Melfice just now. All the other bosses fell to the incredibly complicated strategy of first buffing the party and debuffing the boss, then spamming the strongest moves we have until it dies. Maybe heal occasionally. The fights weren't too long at all though, so it seems they really did a good job on this whole increased health thing. Now, the two hard bosses (which were coincidentally the last two bosses I've fought, so maybe things are looking up), they were really fun! You actually have to think about the action bar, items other than healing items, evasion, and other such options that you sometimes tend to forget exist. Especially Melfice is cool because he has a shitton of buffs and debuffs he can do to counter yours so he really doesn't fall to the debuff into oblivion strategy.

I guess what I'm saying is, unless you like to just coast through RPGs (which I know I sometimes like doing) you should absolutely pick hard mode if you're going to play the Steam version of Grandia 2, it is really well balanced and not tedious at all.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

nuru posted:

Live a Live?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pretty mundane dude in Grandia 1 as well.

Pretty ordinary in MS Saga as well..

ah MS Saga the best of the worst jrpgs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rascyc posted:

Pretty mundane dude in Grandia 1 as well.

Nah, Justin was straight up a The One, he just didn't learn until later in the story. The SaGa games are pretty good at mundane heroes, but on the other hand, they're SaGa games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

I'm really impressed with Grandia 2's hard mode so far. I know some information somewhere said they'd just upped the health on monsters some flat percentage, but not having played the original difficulty at all this seems really well balanced and sometimes even pretty hard. I haven't at all run into situations where battles drag on (which could be a worry what with increased health); most common enemies you can kill in one or two hits with their elemental weakness; in fact if they had any less health I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even bother casting spells. Standard enemies can also surprise you with some pretty powerful moves so if you try to just coast through battles you can get hosed, it's not just a case of "I could sit here, spam standard attack and win anyway but that's slower than casting spells" like it sometimes feels like in RPGs.

Bosses fare a little bit more poorly in the difficulty department, because I can pretty confidently say I have fought exactly two hard bosses in the game up to beating Melfice just now. All the other bosses fell to the incredibly complicated strategy of first buffing the party and debuffing the boss, then spamming the strongest moves we have until it dies. Maybe heal occasionally. The fights weren't too long at all though, so it seems they really did a good job on this whole increased health thing. Now, the two hard bosses (which were coincidentally the last two bosses I've fought, so maybe things are looking up), they were really fun! You actually have to think about the action bar, items other than healing items, evasion, and other such options that you sometimes tend to forget exist. Especially Melfice is cool because he has a shitton of buffs and debuffs he can do to counter yours so he really doesn't fall to the debuff into oblivion strategy.

I guess what I'm saying is, unless you like to just coast through RPGs (which I know I sometimes like doing) you should absolutely pick hard mode if you're going to play the Steam version of Grandia 2, it is really well balanced and not tedious at all.

I can confirm this, the hard mode is really fun. Monsters actually get a chance to use their moves and you sometimes have to use your items! (In the original Grandia II, I ended up selling a lot of healing and combat items, just because I never actually needed them. The occasional heal spell was plenty. )

Even the magic-system profits from hard mode, since I actually have to plan ahead when deciding which spells to learn and to upgrade! No longer can I trivialize every fight by beelining to the strongest spells, secure in the knowledge most monsters and bosses will be too slow to stop me from casting them.

All in all, this "hard mode" is more like a "fun mode".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

please do not list every example of a jrpg protagonist that isn't the chosen one, there are enough that doing so is dumb

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

Oh, okay. So would I be completely fine if I just started dumping all my points into Dex starting now?

Yeah you're a-okay

Str and Dex both affect physical damage skills. Str affects your melee attack, and Dex affects your damage with guns. Since guns can use elemental bullets to change the damage type, you're never going to use your melee attack ever after the first few hours, but guns can be useful all game.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Cake Attack posted:

please do not list every example of a jrpg protagonist that isn't the chosen one, there are enough that doing so is dumb

the only one that matters is Skies of Arcadia

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Re SMTIV both Phys and Gun skills use both Str and Dex to calculate their damage... but give higher priority to Dex. Gun elemental ammo is a pointless gimmick because if you're fighting something that resists/nulls/drains whatever element you're using and that's all you have (which is very likely; once you get the multi-hit/target weapons, the skills that do that begin to fall way behind really fast) whoops thanks Flynn you're completely loving useless for damage. The same is true for normal Phys/Gun stuff, but the amount of stuff that negates both is absolutely miniscule and I think outright relegated to the super endgame DLC stuff which have all the pierces anyway.

Besides, honestly, because Physicals are affected by Dex there's no point in ever putting stat points into Strength. Magic only affects spell damage output (emphasis on damage; healing stuff is all fixed) and every demon and their dog has more than good enough magic for what matters so this is easily ignored too. Oh but no matter what you do you outright need to put stuff into Agility otherwise you'll never hit anything. Luck's the last stat to actually care about since it affects the usual stuff; crits, ailments, smirk, accuracy/evasion, drops etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
truth is SMT4 is so easy it really doesnt matter what you do as long as you don't gimp yourself on purpose. even then you can probably get through with an all luck build.