Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

'Doesn't bother me much' isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

People historically have bought Samsung devices because they are built well, have forward looking specs, cameras above their contemporaries, and are marketed well. Touchwiz may factor into the brand identity some there, but my experience with other people is a lot of the quirky elements that make up Touchwiz are things that people tolerate rather than seek out.

That's pretty much my point. I'm not trying to say Touchwiz is BETTER than stock or anything, just that when it comes down to it it doesn't really matter that much. It's a bit unreasonable to dismiss an entire company's line of phones because "samsung bloatware" when the vast majority of people will not notice or care. Samsung's real sin, in my opinion, is removing SD cards and replaceable batteries from their phones. Recently here in Seattle we had a really bad power outage and we were in the dark for a good 24 hours. My Moto G, which I used as a flashlight (and also a way to stay sane) was sitting at about 5% (and I was mildly anxious about it) when the lights came back on. Sure would've been nice to have a spare battery sitting around like I did for my Note 4.

Oh well. Doesn't happen that often and the next phone I get will definitely have that option, after this experience. There's gotta be SOMEONE who still makes phones with swappable batteries in 2017. :saddowns:

literally what

This isn't the Apple thread, go there. That sure is a lot of words being put in my mouth when all I really said was "iPhones are also expensive". Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

That's pretty much my point. I'm not trying to say Touchwiz is BETTER than stock or anything, just that when it comes down to it it doesn't really matter that much. It's a bit unreasonable to dismiss an entire company's line of phones because "samsung bloatware" when the vast majority of people will not notice or care. Samsung's real sin, in my opinion, is removing SD cards and replaceable batteries from their phones. Recently here in Seattle we had a really bad power outage and we were in the dark for a good 24 hours. My Moto G, which I used as a flashlight (and also a way to stay sane) was sitting at about 5% (and I was mildly anxious about it) when the lights came back on. Sure would've been nice to have a spare battery sitting around like I did for my Note 4.

Oh well. Doesn't happen that often and the next phone I get will definitely have that option, after this experience. There's gotta be SOMEONE who still makes phones with swappable batteries in 2017. :saddowns:

literally what

This isn't the Apple thread, go there. That sure is a lot of words being put in my mouth when all I really said was "iPhones are also expensive". Christ.

I like that you can't see how the bull's point about how poor UX degrades people's perception in small ways they can't articulate but have a cumulative effect on the user's attitude toward the product and my point about how a company who cares about the experience of its users is beloved by those users are related.

Can you really not tell that the two things are sides of the same coin?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Daily Forecast posted:

That's pretty much my point. I'm not trying to say Touchwiz is BETTER than stock or anything, just that when it comes down to it it doesn't really matter that much. It's a bit unreasonable to dismiss an entire company's line of phones because "samsung bloatware" when the vast majority of people will not notice or care.

It's also a bit unreasonable to put up with those minor annoyances when there are products on the market now that don't require to to compromise so much or make the compromise more palatable due to cost difference. That's a big thing that Samsung is running into now and part of the reason why they are losing momentum.

It's the flipside of the coin. Samsung always used hardware as their strength to drive sales in spite of the software, now people are valuing the software experience more and realizing hardware is largely "good enough", not requiring the highest of high end specs.

Daily Forecast posted:

My Moto G, which I used as a flashlight (and also a way to stay sane) was sitting at about 5% (and I was mildly anxious about it) when the lights came back on. Sure would've been nice to have a spare battery sitting around like I did for my Note 4.

At the risk of launching another battery debate...

An edge case like that is better served by an external battery pack (even if you did have a removable battery.) I have a 12000 mAh pack always charged at home and a large external battery pack should be part of everyone's emergency preparedness kit in general. Even better is a lead acid jump start pack with either USB ports or a 12v port that you can put a car charger into. You could charge your phone for weeks on something like that in an emergency.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 31, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

An edge case like that is better served by an external battery pack (even if you did have a removable battery.) I have a 12000 mAh pack always charged at home and a large external battery pack should be part of everyone's emergency preparedness kit in general. Even better is a lead acid jump start pack with either USB ports or a 12v port that you can put a car charger into. You could charge your phone for weeks on something like that in an emergency.

Or even better those sealed LED flashlights that cost like a dollar and last forever.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

I like that you can't see how the bull's point about how poor UX degrades people's perception in small ways they can't articulate but have a cumulative effect on the user's attitude toward the product and my point about how a company who cares about the experience of its users is beloved by those users are related.

Can you really not tell that the two things are sides of the same coin?
Meanwhile I used an iPhone for a good half an hour in the Apple store the other day and I came away from the experience thinking that it was an atrocious pile of poo poo and I will never, ever buy one.

I guess people have different opinions on things, I know that's hard to accept. 'Poor user experience' could not be MORE subjective.

bull3964 posted:

That is legit a good idea and I hadn't thought about it. I'll look into it, thanks.

vv christ, thank you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

LastInLine posted:

Apple fans are willing to pay for an experience they value at the retail end, in device use, and in post-sale support. Are you so angrily dismissive of their enjoyment of their product experience due to jealousy of the process, the buyers' ability to not have to prioritize price, or because you're aware that an equivalent experience does not exist for buyers of any other brand?

Or is it simply because they're happy with what they're doing and you aren't?

It never fails to amuse me how angry people get that Apple creates things that people love and that people love the things they create.

Are you actually defending camping overnight to buy a loving consumer product. The fact it's apple is irrelevant.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you actually defending camping overnight to buy a loving consumer product. The fact it's apple is irrelevant.

The fact that it's being done at all must say something about their products. This can't be a difficult concept to grasp but I guess it needs to be spelled out:

If people are willing to do this then it's because they really, really like the product and the experience of buying, using, and owning the product. People do not do this for other products in the same market niche, for example. How is this a bad thing for either party? The company making, selling, and servicing the product is making money which is ostensibly the reason why a company exists and the people buying their product are enjoying having done so.

Please explain to me why this is a bad thing and should be ridiculed.

Or is this the old myth that it's because these people are mindless drones who put no thought into what they buy and use at all and has absolutely nothing to say about the relationship the customers feel to the company selling them a product?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Oh sweet look at all these new Android thread posts, must be some great or terrible Moto X news or something

:yikes:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Reminder that the US government calls iPhone users 'zombies'.

Yeah, it's a loving awful thing. This is the Android thread, so we should stop talking about iPhones, but it's not just specifically them. Camping out for any product is terrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

On one hand I agree, on the other hand I really don't care what people of different fandoms do if it makes them happy and doesn't hurt anyone else.

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't all that far removed from the refresh-fest that is Nexus release time with people writing custom checker scripts and everyone freaking out when stuff goes in and out of stock.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FistEnergy posted:

Oh sweet look at all these new Android thread posts, must be some great or terrible Moto X news or something
Well if that sprint flyer is to be believed, the 32GB version of the X Pure is $399 so that's pretty cool news :3:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

LastInLine posted:

The fact that it's being done at all must say something about their products. This can't be a difficult concept to grasp but I guess it needs to be spelled out:

If people are willing to do this then it's because they really, really like the product and the experience of buying, using, and owning the product. People do not do this for other products in the same market niche, for example. How is this a bad thing for either party? The company making, selling, and servicing the product is making money which is ostensibly the reason why a company exists and the people buying their product are enjoying having done so.

Please explain to me why this is a bad thing and should be ridiculed.

Or is this the old myth that it's because these people are mindless drones who put no thought into what they buy and use at all and has absolutely nothing to say about the relationship the customers feel to the company selling them a product?

Do you actually not see a problem with camping out overnight or standing in line for loving hours to buy a retail product.

jesus

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you actually not see a problem with camping out overnight or standing in line for loving hours to buy a retail product.

jesus
Maybe he's an adult and doesn't really worry about how people choose to spend their time as long as it doesn't negatively affect other people.

I mean I think it's weird when people camp out for commercial poo poo (video games, sneakers, iPhones, etc.) but really who cares. Society's got bigger problems, but by all means choose camping out for iPhones to get mad about.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't all that far removed from the refresh-fest that is Nexus release time with people writing custom checker scripts and everyone freaking out when stuff goes in and out of stock.
How about that OPO launch?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How about that OPO launch?

Well, I think we can all agree that OPO deserves to be ridiculed no matter what they do. I mean, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

jesus

I wouldn't do it, but I certainly don't see a problem with it.

In fact I'd say I see more of a problem with an entity valued in the millions or billions of dollars continuing year after year to manufacture, distribute, sell, and support a product line just to lose money on every sale.

One of these behaviors is completely irrational whereas the other is just someone who has time on their hands doing something they enjoy. One of the behaviors actively makes the world worse though pollution and industrial waste whereas the the other harms no one.

I asked you to explain why it's a bad thing and you didn't so I'll just assume you can't (which is certainly the case, because it's not and you're wrong).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

"Most people don't care about touchwiz" is pretty much inevitable fact, so I'm not sure what you're trying to even say here.
Well, let me explain:

Daily Forecast posted:

Here's the thing: stock Android is loving garbage for the vast majority of smartphone users
This is one of the wrong parts, or at least one of the clueless conjecture parts. I mean, if you're just going to come right out and say this it will require a ton of explication because I don't think anyone, even those who are most pro-TW have made this argument before. At least not for a couple of years.

Daily Forecast posted:

Something bubbly and friendly like Touchwiz is perfect for non power users (who are such a vanishingly small market that they're irrelevant)
First you'd have to substantiate that TW is bubbly and friendly, then you'd have to substantiate that something about that makes it "perfect for non power users".

Daily Forecast posted:

and Samsung knows this.
More conjecture.

Daily Forecast posted:

I mean, what, did you think that literally one of out every two Android phones ever sold is a Samsung because they are a bad company with terrible phones?

lmao
Most people taking a position "against" TW, do not claim either of these things. So either you're talking to the like 1 person who thinks this, or you're strawmanning everyone else who doesn't like TW.
Samsung being the biggest android phone seller is not incongruent with the position that TW is not good.

So, anyway I go on to read more posts in the thread...

Daily Forecast posted:

That's pretty much my point. I'm not trying to say Touchwiz is BETTER than stock or anything, just that when it comes down to it it doesn't really matter that much.
Hmm, what did Daily Forecast just say up thread? (BTW, I agree that TW doesn't matter that much to most people.)

Daily Forecast posted:

Here's the thing: stock Android is loving garbage for the vast majority of smartphone users
You should just stop posting about this subject.

CLAM DOWN posted:

jesus

He could think it's stupid, but that's irrelevant to the point he's making. He's saying Apple is making a product that people like so much they will do those things, and companies should be encouraged to make products as good as possible.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, what did Daily Forecast just say up thread? (BTW, I agree that TW doesn't matter that much to most people.)

You should just stop posting about this subject.

Maybe a bad wording, I'm not saying that stock android itself is garbage, because I prefer and use it myself. I guess my point was that there's relatively nobody with a Samsung phone saying "oh, if only this phone had stock android! then surely my life would be improved!"

I guess what I meant is that it's a garbage argument or debating point. The fact is, the market that matters doesn't give a poo poo and would see literally zero benefit from moving to stock. And Touchwiz could be/very well is better for the average (read: non-enthusiast somethingawful shitposter) smartphone user because the options are more colorful/obvious. I like using Stock, but the settings menu in Touchwiz is just as good if not better (categorized, icon-based) and people who rail about how the settings menu is a 'clusterfuck' (it's really, really not) are just jumping on the anti-Samsung bandwagon because I guess they have to be obstinate hispters who hate popular things.

Samsung phones are fine, Touchwiz is fine. The company needs to change its business model in response to industry trends, but hell, maybe they don't need to seeing as literally every single phone I see people using at work is either a Note 4, an S6, or and iPhone. People ask me what phone my Moto G is all the time and when I tell them it's a Motorola I get asked "uh, motorola??? who dat"

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Maybe he's an adult and doesn't really worry about how people choose to spend their time as long as it doesn't negatively affect other people.

I mean I think it's weird when people camp out for commercial poo poo (video games, sneakers, iPhones, etc.) but really who cares. Society's got bigger problems, but by all means choose camping out for iPhones to get mad about.

I think the rampant consumerism in society is a valid concern but yeah, there are bigger problems. And it's outside the scope of this thread, sorry.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

Maybe a bad wording, I'm not saying that stock android itself is garbage, because I prefer and use it myself. I guess my point was that there's relatively nobody with a Samsung phone saying "oh, if only this phone had stock android! then surely my life would be improved!"

I guess what I meant is that it's a garbage argument or debating point. The fact is, the market that matters doesn't give a poo poo and would see literally zero benefit from moving to stock. And Touchwiz could be/very well is better for the average (read: non-enthusiast somethingawful shitposter) smartphone user because the options are more colorful/obvious.

Yes, but what bull was trying to illustrate (and I thought, did so well) was that the average user isn't complaining because they're happy with the product as it is, they aren't complaining because they don't have the language and context necessary to express their unhappiness with the user experience. And if that is the case (which there's no way to measure if it is or isn't) then perhaps Samsung would do better to do few changes for changes' sake and options for options' sake and focus on additions that bring a more cohesive and enjoyable overall user experience?

I'm certain it was Desk Lamp a few months ago who made a good point regarding Samsung being the only Android OEM who has any hope at all of generating true enthusiasm from a fanbase and he was exactly right. He was also right that the way to do this is through differentiation in the software. I will say it right now: Samsung should not use "stock" or "vanilla" Android. I totally agree with that.

I feel like the disconnect here is that you feel that the number of users of TouchWiz is enough evidence to say that there are enthusiastic fans and the people disagreeing with you are saying that those people are not actually fans. Those who disagree are saying that TouchWiz is not providing an overall experience that anyone is enthusiastic about, regardless of the sales numbers, and it seems to the ones who disagree with you that you are saying that it does not need to be improved because it is selling enough as-is (which it isn't).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Theme store is a good step in the right direction. People should be free to make their phones as ugly as possible without resorting to root. Customized list on the notification shade is also a good step, but it should be taken to it's logical conclusion and allow you to remove elements as well if you want a fully minimalist experience. I just want to see notifications on my notification shade, not settings (unless I pull down twice or do two finger.)

You can use the google now launcher which helps, though I would argue having 'stock' behavior for the lock screen should also be a toggle in settings somewhere.

Above all, anything that can be an app should be an app and only use standard APIs. This is what moto does so well and one of the reasons why they can update their phones so fast.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

Samsung would do better to do few changes for changes' sake and options for options' sake and focus on additions that bring a more cohesive and enjoyable overall user experience?

Gonna wish for a unicorn while you're at it? Samsung has zero motivation to change something that clearly works and sells phones. Even so, isn't the S6's touchwiz far and away better than any before it? I dunno, I haven't used it.

It's the same reason new phones, Android or iOS, are literally the exact same year to year except a better camera and a bigger screen. And didn't Samsung start this whole phablet trend? So they're even innovating more than most.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

Gonna wish for a unicorn while you're at it? Samsung has zero motivation to change something that clearly works and sells phones.
Their quickly declining sales and market share are probably a good incentive, actually.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It seems like Samsung (and Apple/LG) are about to have a bit of a rude awakening now that 3/4 of the US carriers have stopped subsidizing phones. $600-800+ is a bitter pill to swallow for most people, even if it's done in a payment plan, because there are so many solid performers in the midrange Android market right now. When that $30/month drops off the monthly bill and the phone is theirs, people are going to be significantly less likely to jump straight to the next big thing. Except apple fans I guess because they are inexplicably retarded about mindlessly buying apple things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Gonna wish for a unicorn while you're at it? Samsung has zero motivation to change something that clearly works and sells phones. Even so, isn't the S6's touchwiz far and away better than any before it? I dunno, I haven't used it.

It's the same reason new phones, Android or iOS, are literally the exact same year to year except a better camera and a bigger screen. And didn't Samsung start this whole phablet trend? So they're even innovating more than most.

Your opinion seems to be that TW sells phones. Does it? No one here knows, but sales numbers do not mean that TW sells phones.

There's a huge variety of dimensions that people judge their potential phone purchase on. TW just has to be not bad enough to outweigh all the other factors. People might be buying Samsung phones specifically because they have TW. Or people could just tolerate TW because they don't know what else is possible.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

When it comes to samsungs, at least back in the s2 days, it used a PIT instead of a "regular" partition table. The way you repartitioned the s2 was by uploading a new PIT-file.

If you used a bad PIT-file or hosed up the proportions, you bricked it.

You could make your own PIT, but you had to follow certain rules regarding the size of the partitions, so just any size wasn't good enough. This was a couple of years ago, so I might be misremembering the details, but it really is needlessly complicated for some devices. Even the cyanogenmod mods told me to buy a new device rather than mess around with this stuff.

Heh, I just repartitioned my Note last week with a PIT file. I did not know about the hazards, not that the phone is worth anything these days. 6GB for apps is a godsend, since with stock 2GB you basically couldn't even update your apps.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

Well, I think we can all agree that OPO deserves to be ridiculed no matter what they do. I mean, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Can we all just get along and agree on something like this?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol I'll use this next time someone makes fun of wasting hours flashing roms to make a Samsung usable

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

lol I'll use this next time someone makes fun of wasting hours flashing roms to make a Sarnsung usable

That doesn't happen because they're wasting their own time, hth

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Except apple fans I guess because they are inexplicably retarded about mindlessly buying apple things.
You know, you had a reasonable post going and then you throw weird jabs like this in at the end. It's really weird to me that this thread is so openly hostile toward iPhone and its users when the Apple threads really don't seem to discuss Android at all (unless someone has a switching question).

It would really be cool to talk about Android without constantly having random Apple non sequiturs injected into the conversation that worsen your argument.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 31, 2015

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Ihmemies posted:

Heh, I just repartitioned my Note last week with a PIT file. I did not know about the hazards, not that the phone is worth anything these days. 6GB for apps is a godsend, since with stock 2GB you basically couldn't even update your apps.
Yeah, I was in the same boat, but I got a new phone instead and gave the s2 to a friend.

Thankfully, this won't be a problem on more current devices. Anything that didn't originally have a version before ICS won't have a separate data/app partition.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, I was in the same boat, but I got a new phone instead and gave the s2 to a friend.

I'd buy a S6 Active since I assume it would be at least as durable as my plastic Note, but Samsung doesn't sell it yet in Europe.

quote:

Thankfully, this won't be a problem on more current devices. Anything that didn't originally have a version before ICS won't have a separate data/app partition.

It would be interesting to hear more about this design decision. I've always formatted my drives to one partition, so why they thought several partitions in a phone with very limited capacity might be a good idea?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I use a 5C for work and it's pretty great at that.

Thanks for listening, thread.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Ihmemies posted:

It would be interesting to hear more about this design decision. I've always formatted my drives to one partition, so why they thought several partitions in a phone with very limited capacity might be a good idea?
Separate /, /data and /system partition might be a good idea, just so you can mount some of them as read-only.

A separate partition just for the internal storage might be good for when you plug it into a PC. You'd just see your regular files and not app-data. Of course, moving apps to the SD-card or the storage partition was popular in the gingerbread days anyways, so there's probably some hidden .android folder there already either way. Now most phones don't even do the USB-storage thing, it usually goes as an MTP-device instead.

I'm just guessing though. I haven't actually looked into this.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

One of my friends had their work change from iPhones to Galaxy S4S. She's a UX designer by trade. She often came to me with 'android' questions since I've used it forever. I lost track of how many times I had to say things like "Huh, I haven't seen that before" or "I'm not sure because that's not the way stock android works."

She switched jobs and no longer had a company phone and wasn't keen on spending $800 to go back to Apple so I told her to try out the 2014 Moto X. After only an hour of use her response was "This is so much less cluttered and makes a hell of a lot more sense."

What things had you not seen before? What kind of issues could you not resolve because they were different to stock? This kind of thing could be a very valid point if you could bring up something more specific and less vague. I'm trying to figure out just what you can do so simply on Moto's UI that you can't do on TW.

bull3964 posted:

For example, my Turbo also has the ability to sense whether or not you are looking at the screen. There was a single prompt asking me when I first setup if I wanted to use Attentive display and there are two toggle settings under Display in the main settings to leave the display on if there's face detection and time the display out quicker if it doesn't see a face. There isn't some quick setting toggle for it or some widget or anything like that. I actually had to just now look to see what the setting was called in the settings because I set it once and forgot about it because it just works. There's zero practical reason to need a toggle for this or a persistent notification telling me it's on and working.

Yes, you can remove the toggle from the expanded notification shade with the most recent versions of Touchwiz, but it wasn't something that was ever needed to begin with. There isn't a use case that requires the toggling of this feature on and off quickly. You either want to use it or you don't and that decision probably happens once.

I would say the same thing for the row of toggles, brightness slider, S Finder, and Quick Connect that come up on top all the time on the current version of Touchwiz. That takes a significant amount of real estate in the notification shade and adds a lot of visual clutter when all you are doing is looking at notifications. Android let's you access an expanded notification shade with either a double swipe or a single two finger swipe, so there's not a ton of justification why they need to be there all the time when you are just looking at notifications, but those toggles in the expanded shade and hide them for the 95% of the time you aren't using them. It's little UI annoyances like that.

That's precisely how it works in TW as well, you just turn the setting on and forget about it, I don't see the point in toggling SmartStay on and off either. However IF you want to have the toggle on your notification bar for whatever reason, then you can put it there like Klowns does, we don't get to decide that that is using the phone wrong if that is what they enjoy. How does that degrade the user experience in any way? Your notifications are all still there easily distinguishable and accessible, you can still access the expanded notification shade with a two finger swipe. Now I do agree that it should also allow you to decide whether you want to have any toggles up there at all, but the argument that the toggles simply being there is a detriment I cannot agree with, especially when actual users of these phones are chiming in to say that they like them.

bull3964 posted:

However, on top of everything else right now, Samsung phones are hard to recommend anymore because they simply cost too drat much. The era of the $600-$800 smartphone is dead and Samsung seems pathologically unable to make a decent, well supported, mid to low end device. The sooner they address this, the better.

I can see what you're saying with this, and Motorola is definitely introducing a new paradigm with the new G. But to say that the age of premium smartphones is already over is a little premature given the fact that the Galaxy flagships remain the only successful line of Android smartphones. Motorola, despite their awesome phones, have yet to turn a profit and it's almost safe to assume the Galaxy S6 will outsell the Moto G by a considerable margin.

bull3964 posted:

Don't mistake "difficult" for "not enjoyable to use." It's not a difficult thing to be bombarded by quick notification toggles, but it does get annoying that your priority notifications are halfway down the screen because so much space is taken up by settings you weren't in there to access in the first place.

Hell, I have one friend who has been on Samsung phones since he switched from the iPhone 3gs. He's had an original S, a SkyRocket, an S4 Active, and now and S6 Active. He also has a Samsung tablet. Even with that kind of brand loyalty, he has this to say on TouchWiz. "I'm used to it now so it really doesn't bother me much."

'Doesn't bother me much' isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

To be fair, when most people respond "doesn't bother me much" it's usually in response to vague statements that their UI is somehow bad. You could ask an average smartphone user how they tolerate their "lovely stock Android UI" and they'd probably give you the same answer since most people don't rave about their phone's UI or even care, since the smartphone experience is mostly derived from apps.

LastInLine posted:

is this the old myth that it's because these people are mindless drones who put no thought into what they buy and use at all and has absolutely nothing to say about the relationship the customers feel to the company selling them a product?
Precisely, isn't that exactly what's being said in this thread regarding people who buy Galaxy phones?

LastInLine posted:

Yes, but what bull was trying to illustrate (and I thought, did so well) was that the average user isn't complaining because they're happy with the product as it is, they aren't complaining because they don't have the language and context necessary to express their unhappiness with the user experience. And if that is the case (which there's no way to measure if it is or isn't) then perhaps Samsung would do better to do few changes for changes' sake and options for options' sake and focus on additions that bring a more cohesive and enjoyable overall user experience?

...I feel like the disconnect here is that you feel that the number of users of TouchWiz is enough evidence to say that there are enthusiastic fans and the people disagreeing with you are saying that those people are not actually fans.
Isn't that a little crazy though? "The average consumer isn't complaining because they don't know what it is they should be complaining about (that is if there's anything to complain about because there's no way to measure if there is or isn't) So Samsung would do better to focus on additions that bring a better user experience (thus fixing these issues we have no way of measuring if they exist or not)" What are these objective drawbacks to the user experience that make TW so mediocre? It seems the users aren't the only ones having trouble finding the language and context to express them.

The fact remains, the Galaxy line is the most successful line of Android phones, the only smartphones that have ever challenged the iPhone. Marketing 101 begins with the product and you simply cannot successfully challenge the iPhone with a subpar product. Why claim the iPhone's sales numbers are evidence of its quality while simultaneously claiming the Galaxy's numbers are not?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I don't care so much about Touchwiz, just the bad software engineering from Samsung's OEM Android builds. The hacks they do for their own convenience that cause memory leaks, for example. Or (incorrectly) embedding Android support library code into the image, so that it breaks any application code that bundles it because the classloader finds the built-in one first. Or the litany of other Samsung-only bugs and issues you run into if you work on an Android app with any sufficient reach.

If you want to see what kind of horror Samsung is, consider that the UI toolkit for Tizen, the OS they'd build from scratch themselves, is based upon Enlightenment. Remember Enlightenment, that perpetually-unfinished X11 window manager that got semi popular in the late 90s/early 00s because you could skin the everliving crap out of it? Yeah, that same one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Grr.
Latest supposed specs on the 2015 N5 say 2700mah battery. Was hoping for a bigger number. :/
Won't stop me from buying one based on just that spec, though. Still 10% bigger than the original.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Grr.
Latest supposed specs on the 2015 N5 say 2700mah battery. Was hoping for a bigger number. :/
Won't stop me from buying one based on just that spec, though. Still 10% bigger than the original.

You can't really predict much from just one number. The only real important metrics are real-world testing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't care so much about Touchwiz, just the bad software engineering from Samsung's OEM Android builds. The hacks they do for their own convenience that cause memory leaks, for example. Or (incorrectly) embedding Android support library code into the image, so that it breaks any application code that bundles it because the classloader finds the built-in one first. Or the litany of other Samsung-only bugs and issues you run into if you work on an Android app with any sufficient reach.

If you want to see what kind of horror Samsung is, consider that the UI toolkit for Tizen, the OS they'd build from scratch themselves, is based upon Enlightenment. Remember Enlightenment, that perpetually-unfinished X11 window manager that got semi popular in the late 90s/early 00s because you could skin the everliving crap out of it? Yeah, that same one.

To be honest this is my 95% of my beef (if you could call it a "beef") with TW. From an engineering and design standpoint its just not great. I mean, it functions fine and has good features, but as an engineer and a (mediocre) UI designer its just offensive to my sense of aesthetics that it exists.

Of course, I still recommend people to look at an S6 when they ask me what phone to get, because it's not bad enough to make normal people hate it, and why the gently caress would I care what they buy as long as it works ok? I also don't go around complaining about it to other people because why would they care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
touch wiz