Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Actually magical implements just really aren't scary. tomes and staves can be cool but rods and wands are kinda lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Elfgames posted:

he is a god why the gently caress is he channeling magic through a little stick?

Thor needs a belt and a set of gloves just to wield a hammer? But he's a god, he shouldn't need them - why, he shouldn't need a hammer at all!

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I like that Orcus can make up to 4 tail attacks per round, despite there being no visible tail in the picture of him. His description is "He has the lower torso of a goat", so I assume he's attacking with a teeny little goat tail.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What the gently caress, man. You're saying that if you kill a loving god you shouldn't have anything to loot.

I think you missed the entire point of DnD.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gtrmp posted:

Thor needs a belt and a set of gloves just to wield a hammer? But he's a god, he shouldn't need them - why, he shouldn't need a hammer at all!

Nah the belt and gloves make the hammer (a cool weapon) cooler, but orcus uses a twig and that's not cool unless it is a godly microphone then that's cool.

Tunicate posted:

What the gently caress, man. You're saying that if you kill a loving god you shouldn't have anything to loot.

I think you missed the entire point of DnD.

you should either get cool loot or just get awesome godly powers (probably spells :smith: in 5e) when you kill a god. not a little stick

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Elfgames posted:

Actually magical implements just really aren't scary. tomes and staves can be cool but rods and wands are kinda lame.

Wands can in fact be really cool and scary, cf Willow.

I would agree that bloody muscle warlord of the orcs probably shouldn't be waving a wand around, tho.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
FWIW Orcus hasn't been a god in awhile, he's "just" some super major demon who WANTS to be god of undeath really really badly.

(Orcus has always been boring and dumb)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ProfessorCirno posted:

FWIW Orcus hasn't been a god in awhile, he's "just" some super major demon who WANTS to be god of undeath really really badly.

(Orcus has always been boring and dumb)

Orcus was involved in the Keep on the Shadowfell. This should be all you need to know about him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It turns out some wizard killed Orcus by mistake ages ago and has been impersonating him ever since.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It turns out some wizard killed Orcus ages ago and has been impersonating him by mistake ever since.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
The most important thing about tat wand is that it ended up killing a bunch of gnomes indirectly. So it is A Good Wand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#History

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17302/The-Great-Modron-March-2e

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For reference, 4E Orcus (seen here on the cover of the Monster Manual).

That poor fool's fused spine and screaming skull? Wand of Orcus.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If the "wand" of Orcus was actually just a big old club, and "Power Word Kill" was actually smashing some chucklefuck's head through his shoulders, that would be totally acceptable.

Where's that comic strip?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Dilb posted:

I like that Orcus can make up to 4 tail attacks per round, despite there being no visible tail in the picture of him. His description is "He has the lower torso of a goat", so I assume he's attacking with a teeny little goat tail.

This is an actual problem faced by Pathfinder's Demon Lord Nocticula.

One of many, in fact

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is some proper basement-wall fantasy art right there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goatface posted:

If the "wand" of Orcus was actually just a big old club, and "Power Word Kill" was actually smashing some chucklefuck's head through his shoulders, that would be totally acceptable.

Where's that comic strip?

Always relevant.

e: and bigger than I remembered

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 31, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Orcus casts Power Word: Fist

Alternatively, Power Fist: Kill?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Naw, that's more Warhams' thing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LightWarden posted:

One of many, in fact

"frighteningly majestic"

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

quote:

As a swift action while in an act of passion with a willing mortal,
Do most groups play out their acts of passion round by round and with regard to the action economy? Is this a thing I'm not aware of?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

Orcus casts Power Word: Fist

You're thinking of this guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Am I wrong to think that the Tarrasque seems a bit of a wussy in this edition? He doesn't seem too hard to kill, honestly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember that they responded to complaints about how weak it was by saying that players who used flight around it weren't playing in the spirit of the encounter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Covok posted:

Am I wrong to think that the Tarrasque seems a bit of a wussy in this edition? He doesn't seem too hard to kill, honestly.

That's a recurring problem, because wizards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

Do most groups play out their acts of passion round by round and with regard to the action economy? Is this a thing I'm not aware of?

What if the totally hot demon lady is boning your barbarian friend, Josh, you walk in and you're like, "No Josh, stop boning that demon lady with the bangin' tits" and then you roll for initiative? Huh? What then?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LightWarden posted:

One of many, in fact

I'm the high heels made out of lava rock.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

That seems like the kind of thing that might get in the way of acts of passion

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hooved high heels*

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also "Nocticula" sounds like the name of some writer's totally-not-Elvira knockoff.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

That seems like the kind of thing that might get in the way of acts of passion

Don't kinkshame me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

I'm the form-fitting crotch plate that only fits when she's in that exact position.

I guess she just waddles around like that everywhere.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This might be crap, but I took a stab at buffing up the Tarrasque:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Covok posted:

Problem is that it's still blind and can't fly. Also, how can it select a target that it can't see for the purposes of Frightful Presence?

I'd start with frightful presence honestly - turn it into some sort of disable, and have the aura also dispel magic in the area to shut down flying or otherwise magical enemies. It has plenty of up-front killing power and really just needs ways to make other critters fight on its terms.

Edit: add the ability to sense any spell effects within 1000ft and then give it a legendary action to dispel effects in the area and absorb them at will (so it could dispel a flight spell and transfer it to itself)

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 31, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, the blingsight is a typo on my part. See, this was done off a template and the original monster had a blingsight of 60 and I just forgot to change it.

I was thinking of an anti-magic thing, but my friend said that disabling 1/2 the party was a bad idea so I removed it. However, stopping spells like flight -- continuous spells -- would work better, yeah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Have it make concentration impossible (or very difficult) within a large radius (e: or line of sight. As in, if you see the Tarrasque you freak out and lose concentration). That allows for fireballs and stuff, but kills flight right off.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 31, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Covok posted:

You forgot to add in saving throw bonuses, I think?

The reflective carapace is a bit weird. It walks into a bank of summoned fog and all of a sudden the whole fog cloud is reflected back towards a wizard? That could use some polish.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Splicer posted:

Have it make concentration impossible (or very difficult) within a large radius (e: or line of sight. As in, if you see the Tarrasque you freak out and lose concentration). That allows for fireballs and stuff, but kills flight right off.

Strength save. Definitely a Strength save.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

I'm the form-fitting crotch plate that only fits when she's in that exact position.

I guess she just waddles around like that everywhere.

I'm the skull on the titty chain that is literally bolted on her bolt-ons

I see in that SRD that Nocticula is the demon queen of assassins, you can tell based on how subtle she is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

You forgot to add in saving throw bonuses, I think?

The reflective carapace is a bit weird. It walks into a bank of summoned fog and all of a sudden the whole fog cloud is reflected back towards a wizard? That could use some polish.

Yeah, I forgot add that line in. Whoops.

In regards to the later, I don't really see that as a problem.

Edit:

How about this version?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 31, 2015