Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

widespread posted:

I've a question: Are Fleshpounds now a solid threat with seemingly no weaknesses?

I got Spartan on zerker earlier, parrying an attack in zed time and just hitting him in the head like 30 times before the zed time ends with the zwei/hammer seems to do the trick :v:

Also you might as well rename Berserker to Dio Brando once you get that perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
New Preview patch is up. Servers should be updating as I type this.

Short change log if you're into that kinda thing - http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=112061

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

God drat it I jinxed it didn't I.

quote:

Reduced Spartan attack speed to intended value

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

Bug Fixes
Fixed some zeds spawning in the wrong wave on normal length games

does this mean no more wave 2 sirens? please say yes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psion posted:

Also really liking the pace of beta fixes. can this be the new normal for the rest of EA?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't like the idea of perk weapons.
If it were me, I'd make every perk do their thing and mods how the guns you choose operate.
Firebug wants to use SMGs? Their perk gives them fire bullets.
A Medic takes a flamethrower at reduced damage but also area heals.
What I'm getting at is that I want to be a Zerker that uses a backwards RPG as a club.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wonder if the three month delay for this patch was expected, and they are still planning to release the game by the end of 2015. I mean, the Demo and Firebug update added some stuff that wasn't in the game previously - like the zed weakpoint system, a full perk rework, the microwave effect and I suppose a whole lot of optimization to deal with 6 idiots spraying fire and explosions everywhere - that sounds pretty time intensive.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

Also really liking the pace of beta fixes. can this be the new normal for the rest of EA?

Sure. :suicide:

In all seriousness, we can't update the game every 72 hours unless we just decide to abandon making new content for the game entirely and that's not the plan. I'm not going to get into project management garbage but every time we release a build it takes resources away from completing content so there's a sweet spot to be found that doesn't involve the development and QA teams working 12 hours a day from now until content complete but is still frequent enough that the players stay engaged. Some developers can pull of an update every week but the ones I'm thinking of are literally 20 times the size of Tripwire and it's not a sustainable pace for a team our size.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

There's a pretty good balance right now. The attentiveness to the community is a great sign and the public release of this beta will be a godsend. Isn't it nice to have a community eager to playtest your game? :shobon:

That being said, if it's another 4 months between updates (or whatever), I'm pretty sure you'll see some people fully melt down. Definitely not me though. It's just a silly video game after all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I didn't mean literally every 72 hours. geez, what kind of heartless monster do you take me for? Weekly, of course. :getin:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Definitely not me though. It's just a silly video game after all.

LIES

(yes, :thejoke: I'm sure)

az
Dec 2, 2005

Someone asked me about how bad the C4 stacking debuff really is and I did some poking around just now.

Short answer: it goes all the way down. That means 50%>25%>13%>7%> etcetera. I didn't track where (if) the stack stops but damage caused after the fourth becomes infintisimally low.

It does not stack off of other explosions as far as I could see, only C4.

tldr: setting off more than two C4 in the same spot within 3 seconds of another does nothing

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't like the idea of perk weapons.
If it were me, I'd make every perk do their thing and mods how the guns you choose operate.
Firebug wants to use SMGs? Their perk gives them fire bullets.
A Medic takes a flamethrower at reduced damage but also area heals.
What I'm getting at is that I want to be a Zerker that uses a backwards RPG as a club.

If you think balance is tricky now just try to balance a game with this idea implemented.

I will see you in 40 years when you've finally gotten it right for 4 classes and 10 weapons.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

az posted:

Someone asked me about how bad the C4 stacking debuff really is and I did some poking around just now.

Short answer: it goes all the way down. That means 50%>25%>13%>7%> etcetera. I didn't track where (if) the stack stops but damage caused after the fourth becomes infintisimally low.

It does not stack off of other explosions as far as I could see, only C4.

tldr: setting off more than two C4 in the same spot within 3 seconds of another does nothing

although your primary target of an fp may not be affected much, it's still really useful to clear all the trash piling up around it

Also easily beat evacuation point on suicidal last night. There is a spot next to some stairs that we camped. Had a zerk out front with 1 medic healing, 2 demos, firebug and a support. Stacked c4 in front and both of us demos used the rad nuke zed perk, which melts zeds. It's really good because even the demo pistol sets it off.

For hans most of us went firebug and used microwave guns.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 31, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Haha this is like a DBZ blast when the smoke clears and the guy is just standing there.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Has bullets ricocheting off of the metal bits on zeds always been a thing? I was playing over the weekend and it stuck out how cool and badass that was.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So I made a thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qgKJvWb-FE

Really loving this game. Very happy I can set the bodies back up to a respectable number. Maps were looking too clean.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I like Demo now, that is all :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Chard posted:

Has bullets ricocheting off of the metal bits on zeds always been a thing? I was playing over the weekend and it stuck out how cool and badass that was.

Nope it's new

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There's all sorts of new zed-shooting semantics now, it's pretty boss

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Questioner86 posted:

Sure. :suicide:

In all seriousness, we can't update the game every 72 hours unless we just decide to abandon making new content for the game entirely and that's not the plan. I'm not going to get into project management garbage but every time we release a build it takes resources away from completing content so there's a sweet spot to be found that doesn't involve the development and QA teams working 12 hours a day from now until content complete but is still frequent enough that the players stay engaged. Some developers can pull of an update every week but the ones I'm thinking of are literally 20 times the size of Tripwire and it's not a sustainable pace for a team our size.

That's the thing, in early access you have to think of us like pretty much a second QA team, like if you guys had the QA build open on steam(Maybe keep the main build stable but have the QA build opt in like the current beta build?) It'd most likely help with finding and reproducing bugs so much faster.

You guys don't have to polish every single zed nut before showing us it while in early access, we want this as bug free on release as you do :v:

Unusual
Nov 12, 2013
This Game is good, I'm happy to be able to play chunks of new content when you are finished with it instead of waiting another year or two or however long it would take. Happy to wait while you finish it, please don't go insane reading threads about people begging for more updates. :ohdear:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Taffer posted:

Nope it's new

Nice I'm not crazy. Loving the effect.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

What I'm getting at is that I want to be a Zerker that uses a backwards Nikita launcher as a club.

Fixed that for you.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Nalesh posted:

That's the thing, in early access you have to think of us like pretty much a second QA team, like if you guys had the QA build open on steam(Maybe keep the main build stable but have the QA build opt in like the current beta build?) It'd most likely help with finding and reproducing bugs so much faster.

You guys don't have to polish every single zed nut before showing us it while in early access, we want this as bug free on release as you do :v:

I'm pretty sure most people don't buy EA for that, but as a "gimme game now" thing. I actually agree with your idea and I see myself as a beta tester mostly, but people will moan like crazy if they start treating EA buyers as QA.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I'm just saying that's what I think of when I think "early access done right", and that's why I said it could be optional.

(Also why is the demolitionist melee not a dud RPG-7 rocket)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 1, 2015

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I can't imagine why anyone would think EA implies otherwise. If the game isn't done, it's not going to be polished..

Except KF2 is, so.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I don't know how many Killing Floor fans are also Red Orchestra fans but TWI got pretty burned for the bad launch of RO2. That was before my time at the company (the Game of the Year update for RO2 was my first major launch at Tripwire) but the owners of the company and a lot of the fans of the RO franchise remember that black eye and all the work that had to go into patching the game and patching up relations with the community. We STILL get comments asking about how people can have faith in KF2/Rising Storm 2/Whatever we announce because "What about the bad RO2 launch in 2011?" There's a definite reason that they decided they decided they needed to hire a QA Manager and why we're so stringent on the quality level of content we let go out the door now. Even with the label of Early Access I don't think the company is in a hurry to release buggy or incomplete content to the community because we know that even before the game is complete we WILL be judged on it.

Hence the approach of TWI Early Access Done Right being a limited but relatively polished content set with more content in coming months.

Not looking to get into a debate about how people think we should do early access or suggestions on how to do it better, just trying to give some context into why the company approaches early access the way it does. This is also our first early access so we're learning and adjusting as we go, as Tripwire always has.

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Incinerate ‘N Detonate update is both Good and Fun.

Meat confetti is the best thing.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah that's why I didn't say toss it in the main build, but in a heavily labeled experimental beta build :v:

(To be honest I don't even remember that many bad things from the RO2 launch anymore, other than the players were poo poo and played it like cod)
But speaking of RO2, you guys better be bringing the Pinger over when Sharpshooter gets its turn~

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 1, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Questioner86 posted:

I don't know how many Killing Floor fans are also Red Orchestra fans but TWI got pretty burned for the bad launch of RO2. That was before my time at the company (the Game of the Year update for RO2 was my first major launch at Tripwire) but the owners of the company and a lot of the fans of the RO franchise remember that black eye and all the work that had to go into patching the game and patching up relations with the community. We STILL get comments asking about how people can have faith in KF2/Rising Storm 2/Whatever we announce because "What about the bad RO2 launch in 2011?" There's a definite reason that they decided they decided they needed to hire a QA Manager and why we're so stringent on the quality level of content we let go out the door now. Even with the label of Early Access I don't think the company is in a hurry to release buggy or incomplete content to the community because we know that even before the game is complete we WILL be judged on it.

Hence the approach of TWI Early Access Done Right being a limited but relatively polished content set with more content in coming months.

Not looking to get into a debate about how people think we should do early access or suggestions on how to do it better, just trying to give some context into why the company approaches early access the way it does. This is also our first early access so we're learning and adjusting as we go, as Tripwire always has.

Personally I would be ok with playing a more buggy test version but I totally get why a company would not want to risk that kind of bad exposure. Especially Tripwire, I remember the RO2 fiasco well. I rarely look forward to new game releases, but that was one of them, and boy was it a mega disappointment. It's nice to see that Tripwire learns from those things and responds reasonably.

Though smaller, closer spaced updates would still be nice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Questioner86 posted:

I really like it when people play off-perk but we need to be careful that we don't make only certain perk combos attractive so that we can encourage people to try out new stuff rather than sticking to the stuff that's buffed by their current perk. Definitely something we'll experiment with in the future!

New preview update later today with some bug fixes that address some of the balance concerns I've seen in this thread. Grenade pistol isn't any good for demo? That might be because it wasn't applying the impact damage for the projectiles on-line. Whoops.

Anyway, updates are shrinking in size as we get closer to the release version of the patch but there are still a couple of nice fixes. Have fun!

You could always make it so that off-perk weapons get like bonuses but not at full strength. So the Support would get something like half of his perk bonuses (quietly adjusted here and there where needed but you tell the community "half") on all shotguns that aren't support shotguns. Also, woo! New update!

Nalesh posted:

Yeah, leave that to the fluffers, not the QA. :v:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh. So... the grenade pistol was supposed to do impact damage? Well gently caress.

Also, what's better for a sidearm: Medic Pistol or Dual 9mms?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Dual pistols are mad cool so I'd say duals.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Don't mind me, just hangin' around.

widespread posted:

Oh. So... the grenade pistol was supposed to do impact damage? Well gently caress.

Also, what's better for a sidearm: Medic Pistol or Dual 9mms?

Absolutely Medic Pistol, healing your friends is a very good thing to do.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

thejacob posted:

Incinerate ‘N Detonate update is both Good and Fun.

Meat confetti is the best thing.
I'm actually kinda sad my card doesn't support FLEX now that there are more explosions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Demo should have a chance to get a grenade stuck in a Bloat's stomach just before exploding.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Shumagorath posted:

I'm actually kinda sad my card doesn't support FLEX now that there are more explosions.

This is the price we pay for saving money by going AMD. I feel your pain.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Dear Devs:

This is what I want out of an M4 (or assault rifle in general): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc&t=4m10s

The AA-12 is still my favorite weapon to use despite the Firebug patch.

I like loud weapons and a rifle that matches the AA-12's intensity would be :awesome:

Love,

Triggs

Triggs fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 1, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triggs posted:

Dear Devs:

This is what I want out of an M4 (or assault rifle in general): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc&t=4m10s

The AA-12 is still my favorite weapon to use despite the Firebug patch.

I like loud weapons and a rifle that matches the AA-12's intensity would be :awesome:

Love,

Triggs
poo poo, I want whatever rifle Al Pacino's character is using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Ravenfood posted:

poo poo, I want whatever rifle Al Pacino's character is using.

Go play KF1 then because it's an FAL.