Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

CJacobs posted:

Found my first bug and although it's not a major one I do find it pretty funny.

Entering the Upgrade Your Max menu while in a car causes this to happen. :v:

As far as I can tell it's not a bug, the Max on that is in whatever position he's in in-game. Open it when rolling on the ground sometime, it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Neat, it's got the screenshots from the film before Miller decided to up the color saturation. It was originally going to be desaturated like in those shots, thank gently caress he changed his mind.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game looks insanely average

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

tehsid posted:

I can't see that in AU. What is it?

Bugs out for me too so I guess its not all up there, but somehow every Mad Max film is now on steam. Outside of Fury Road, the older ones seem to be tied to expensive package deals, but if you want max, you got it.

Oh gently caress, its decrypting!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 1, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Eonwe posted:

this game looks insanely average

Yeah and I probably would've tried it out anyway but being the same day as MGSV? Might as well not loving exist.

Shame too, I loving LOVED Fury Road.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
This game is anything but average. Holy poo poo, it's a shame I can't play more of it because of MGSV.

Don't listen to these reviewers, they're just trashing it because they came off of Fury Road. I've had a couple unscripted sequences that would totally fit in with Fury Road too. I didn't think I'd like the aesthetic as much, but I don't think I'm going to use the inevitable Fury Road ReShade mods because it looks that good.

Getting 60FPS on the i7/AMD 390. Incredibly optimized and there's tons of options.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Game just unlocked in Australia :toot:

Hopefully my install will be unable to unfuck itself without me having to reinstall it completely. If that happens I think I'll just lay down and cry.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Apologies for the incredibly ignorant question, but:

I haven't done much PC gaming in the last 13 years. Basically none. For this game, I bought a brand new laptop (running Windows 10) and a Logitech "cordless rumblepad 2." Using the awesome VPN advice posted earlier in the thread I've been able to get this game running, but I absolutely cannot figure out how to get the controller and the game to talk to each other. Its been so long since I tried to use a controller with a PC (an old white gravis gamepad) that I'm not even sure how to google this issue, especially with a brand new game on a relatively new OS. Any good samaritans up for giving advice while they wait for the game to install? :)

Andy

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Apologies for the incredibly ignorant question, but:

I haven't done much PC gaming in the last 13 years. Basically none. For this game, I bought a brand new laptop (running Windows 10) and a Logitech "cordless rumblepad 2." Using the awesome VPN advice posted earlier in the thread I've been able to get this game running, but I absolutely cannot figure out how to get the controller and the game to talk to each other. Its been so long since I tried to use a controller with a PC (an old white gravis gamepad) that I'm not even sure how to google this issue, especially with a brand new game on a relatively new OS. Any good samaritans up for giving advice while they wait for the game to install? :)

Andy

Just get a 360 or Xbone controller. Almost all PC ports of multiplatform games made in the last ten years have built-in 360 controller support.

EDIT: Also I can't believe people are choosing between this and MGSV when I think the two games compliment each other. Mad Max looks to be the kind of game where I can unwind after a hard day, shut my brain off, and blow poo poo up without much thought. MGSV seems to be more of a tactical experience that actually requires thinking and planning, which is why I'm getting both games once I have the dosh to do so.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 1, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Welp, thanks to my hillbilly string-and-tin-can internet connection the pre-load I started yesterday morning's still got half a day to go, at the very least. :negative:

At this rate I'd have been better off ordering a boxed copy.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I hope convoys are repeatable. They are insanely fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TomViolence posted:

Welp, thanks to my hillbilly string-and-tin-can internet connection the pre-load I started yesterday morning's still got half a day to go, at the very least. :negative:

Boxed copy is just a Steam key.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

edit: ^^^^^:argh:

TomViolence posted:

Actually the boxed copies just have a disc with the Steam installer on them, so you're in pretty much the same place, at least this way you save $40.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Starhawk64 posted:

Just get a 360 or Xbone controller. Almost all PC ports of multiplatform games made in the last ten years have built-in 360 controller support.

Again, sorry for the dumb question, but how do I convince a 360 controller to talk to the laptop? I don't have a cord to hook it to the PC, and I'm not clear on how to connect it wirelessly....

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
X-Cross from nerd subforum, just in case someone else sees this.

I just settled down to play some Mad Max on release.

As soon as the game starts up from Steam. Both my screens go really weird with a Pink/white pixelated effect for the entire time the application is running. Once I quit out, both screens return to normal. As I press exit game I see a flash of the menu in "normal" colours.

I've never seen this on any other game/application/anything.

Graphics card is a R 280X on the latest drivers.

In before "MAX MAD IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK lovely LOL"

midge fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 1, 2015

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oh gently caress you game. :negative:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

Oh gently caress you game. :negative:

Sadly, I'm always better off re-downloading than decrypting a pre-load despite having an SSD.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh man try signing into wbplay on kbm

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Holy poo poo. Fixed it. Disabling steam overlay sorted it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

My world is bars and numbers. :black101:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Chiming in with others that this is a really solid port. Rock solid frame rates, a decent variety of graphics options, and it looks great.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Muttonchips posted:

What do I do if Germany isn't showing up on the list of countries available?

yeah I came in to look because the German one kicked me off but then

Tehan posted:

Game just unlocked in Australia :toot:

and I've switched back and it's all sweet. Got an hour in before release hehe :)

I'm having a lot of fun, I don't think it's crap at all. If you've played Just Cause 2 then you can see how it's distinctly Avalanche, but that has pluses and minuses. One thing that annoyed me about JC2 was cars would constantly upshift when accelerating, endlessly.. it just seemed really cheap and pulled me right out of it. Also the handling was pretty terrible. Mad Max's handling is still arcadey, but it's better than that and the sounds of the V8 (partiulcarly crawling around at low speed, with a big 5.1 setup wtih a sub) are great. I've just been playing Project Cars and Dirt Rally all weekend, so no the driving feels faker than those.. but I'm enjoying the combat too. I had heaps of fun with Sleeping Dogs and it's a lot like that, jumping between cars and melee. I like how I don't have to aim the shotgun, I'm on the couch with a controller and don't want to play it like a shooter. It was great for Sleeping Dogs and I'm thinking this is looking similar.

edit: oh, being a big fan of the movies makes a big difference. Max eating dogfood a few minutes in made me smile but if you hadn't seen that you wouldn't get it. The opening was also rad :D

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 1, 2015

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

midge posted:

Holy poo poo. Fixed it. Disabling steam overlay sorted it.

Disabling the Steam overlay didn't fix the same problem in my case sadly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So is this game any good? Or is it just meh?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

More importantly, how's the pop-in on the PC? It looked loving atrocious on consoles.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
It's fun as poo poo and I've barely scratched the service. Saw a lone car stopped on the road, so I rammed it and got out for looting. But he had a friend that tried to smoosh me, so I dodged aside and blasted his fuel tank with a quickdraw shotgun :ocelot::clint:

Also car customization is insanely deep. Oh sure you COULD throw on that bigger V6, but all that weight of a bigger block is gonna eat away at your handling.

Edit:

holy poo poo one of my favorite Fury Road vehicles is in this

Last row, second from left. It's Elvis!

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Ford_3_Window_Coupe_1932_%22Elvis%22

Also screenshot of the graphics options:

There's a lot of fiddling to be had :toot:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 1, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah the performance is great. I'm getting like 50FPS on a 960m (i.e. 750/750ti ish) with most settings on medium. Controls are a bit awkward though, even on a 360 pad.

Also I preordered from GMG, when do I get that preorder ripper body?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:siren:Heavy attacking an enemy from behind while fury mode is active will cause Max to loving suplex them:siren:

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Out of Band II posted:

Disabling the Steam overlay didn't fix the same problem in my case sadly.

For me what worked was switching to borderless fullscreen and restarting the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

More importantly, how's the pop-in on the PC? It looked loving atrocious on consoles.

No real issues. When I'm not engaged in car combat I might notice a tiny rock every so often but otherwise it's fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Runs great, super smooth FPS, handles good! Computer keeps locking up after 20 minutes though. :smith: Guess it's my problem, not the game's, but I can run GTAV with no problem. I thought it might be overheating but speedfan shows pretty normal temps. :argh: I loving hate computer hardware trouble.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
It's rad as hell

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Runs great, super smooth FPS, handles good! Computer keeps locking up after 20 minutes though. :smith: Guess it's my problem, not the game's, but I can run GTAV with no problem. I thought it might be overheating but speedfan shows pretty normal temps. :argh: I loving hate computer hardware trouble.
What kind of locking are you seeing, BSOD or game crash or what

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

What kind of locking are you seeing, BSOD or game crash or what

Whole comp locks up. I just recently switched to a GTX 980 and I've been having some wonky issues since then. A buddy of mine with the same setup hasn't had any issues whatsoever, so it's definitely me. Hopefully I can fix this before Fallout 4 comes out :ohdear:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Your PSU might be too weak or dying. Mine failed recently and was causing BSODs/total system locks.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Capn Beeb posted:

It's fun as poo poo and I've barely scratched the service. Saw a lone car stopped on the road, so I rammed it and got out for looting. But he had a friend that tried to smoosh me, so I dodged aside and blasted his fuel tank with a quickdraw shotgun :ocelot::clint:

Also car customization is insanely deep. Oh sure you COULD throw on that bigger V6, but all that weight of a bigger block is gonna eat away at your handling.

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Ford_3_Window_Coupe_1932_%22Elvis%22

Goddamn, thanks for the link to this wiki. Poking around in it is a treat, especially since when you look up the Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe. Just the staggering work they've put into all the cars is amazing.

Relevant Mad Max game chat "The lack of the rear wing comes from the Mad Max video game tie-in. The production crew asked Collin Manewell if there are any bits and pieces of the car that could be removed and left off as bonus items to be found in the game by the players. He suggested the rear wing, partially because he preferred the car without it. However, Cameron wanted to let everyone know that the rear wing used to be on this car and upon closer inspection there are visible marks in the back of the V8 Interceptor where the wing used to be."

Emphasis mine. Basically, if you want your Magnum Opus to be truly complete, :perfect:, SHINY AND CHROME! And who wouldn't? Go forth and search out all the little pieces that Scrotus' War Boys have scattered to the four winds. This is making the completionist in me twitch something fierce...

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

widespread posted:

So is this game any good? Or is it just meh?

You're enjoyment of this game is likely very proportional to your enjoyment of the Mad Max movies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

barren_sky posted:

You're enjoyment of this game is likely very proportional to your enjoyment of the Mad Max movies.

I really couldn't care less about the first three movies and my first couple hours were pretty fun.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Game is awesome so far. Just been taking my time messing with capture mode, testing out the car handling, enjoying the world. Some early things I'll say:

Alternate controls to put shoot on R1 is a must.

The car handling is realistically sluggish. I can see how that will annoy some people but in every single open world game that has ever existed, ever, I've seen people call the driving both the best and the worst. Me, I just adjust to the way the game wants to do things.

Max's movement on foot is fine, but also has a bit of a turning circle rather than the instant flip round a lot of games have. Just takes a few minutes to get used to it. I don't care the jump button is more of a hop, it's just to get you out of obstacles.

The combat is really chunky and satisfying, it's closer to Sleeping Dogs than Batman, which is a plus point for me. Second fight I punched someone so hard he slammed against my car, rolling it back a couple of inches.

Chumbucket is solid. Voice is a little annoying, but the dialogue is funny and on point.

I also managed to get my car balanced on a spike in a mission. Totally my fault, but kind of hilarious I found the one point in the path to the graveyard I could possibly do such a thing. I am best driver.

First person view in the car is immersive as hell, but isn't going to be viable for actually driving much. It's for flavour, not for effect. I've got 16 hours of first person in GTAV and this is different as the view is from a camera point inside the car, not from Max himself.

Driving off into the Big Nothing right at the start just got me killed. Guess I need to get past these early missions and unlock the main map.

Can already tell I'm going to have fun with this, really glad to be here day one, hour one, minute one. Now excuse me, I have a car to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Lars Blitzer posted:

Goddamn, thanks for the link to this wiki. Poking around in it is a treat, especially since when you look up the Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe. Just the staggering work they've put into all the cars is amazing.

It's super cool :D As is this video for the cars of Fury Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L67BiENzYs

I found a Stank Gum camp. I breached the gates just as a hellacious lightning stormed rolled in.

ONWARD. ONWARD TO THE INFIDELS WHO WOULD BESMIRCH CHUMBUCKET.

*some brutal violence later, including suplexing a dude on his neck as lightning smashed three feet away*

I like to think upgrading Max's beard summoned the storm. :black101:

• Locked thread