Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Habibi posted:

Which of the horse, the dude, or the girl did you think was supposed to be a seven foot tall, literally black-skinned, silver-haired not-quite-elf?

Again, I thought it was a horribly mangled rendition. You must admit that book cover artists have done worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I always throught it was Paran; the mass market version I have features just the guy on the horse, but with a woman in the picture it makes sense to be Paran/Lorn.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Way to be helpful, jay

I dig it.

I can't decide if TCG or Reaper's Gale have my favorite covers :shobon:

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Concurred posted:

I always throught it was Paran; the mass market version I have features just the guy on the horse, but with a woman in the picture it makes sense to be Paran/Lorn.

I always thought it was Paran as well.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

This one's at least intriguing.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
What is that cover to?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Gardens of the Moon.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Which edition?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its the cover on my version in the UK. no idea of the edition though

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This one's at least intriguing.

drat, I actually like that one. It's way better than any of my Malazan covers.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
That's a badass cover.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

No, no, there is that other guy in this thread - Baudin maybe?

But those are the only two.

They are our Beaks. :downs:

Yes and.... Probably yes.

In a lot of ways esselmont's writing suits me. I can clear a book of his in about a day, though admittedly I reread his stuff a lot less than Erikson's.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 2, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I liked Assail too... but mostly because I insist that Jethiss is Spinnock Durav and not Anomander Rake.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
That would be awesome if it was.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Ninth Layer posted:

I liked Assail too... but mostly because I insist that Jethiss is Spinnock Durav and not Anomander Rake.

I just read the malazan wiki page on Jethris and there's a hell of a pointer to Jethiss being Spinnock. After regaining his memories: "Hey let's go visit my bro's grave in Coral. I used to play this specific sweet game with him." Spinnock played with Seerdomin. Spinnock was also a hell of a fighter in that he held up Kallor from sundown to sunup just to delay him, Spinnock wasn't even attacking.

Like after reading that single quote on the wiki how is there debate unless Esselmont went insane and had Mother Dark blend both Anomander and Spinnock into Jethiss.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah that was the giveaway for me, and one of the things that made me feel better about the ending than a lot of people here when the book came out.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
It wouldn't be the first time multiple characters were merged together. It's actually not that rare in his world.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

It wouldn't be the first time multiple characters were merged together. It's actually not that rare in his world.

Hell, you see the first example almost right off the bat (GotM->MoI spoiler) when Tattersail and Nightchill and Bellurdan become Silverfox.

Btw, (RG spoiler) I still haven't seen her/it again and I'm almost done with Reaper's Gale. Does he/she/it ever come back?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Hell, you see the first example almost right off the bat (GotM->MoI spoiler) when Tattersail and Nightchill and Bellurdan become Silverfox.

Btw, (RG spoiler) I still haven't seen her/it again and I'm almost done with Reaper's Gale. Does he/she/it ever come back?

Yep, in the book we were just talking about! Assail

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

I just read the malazan wiki page on Jethris and there's a hell of a pointer to Jethiss being Spinnock. After regaining his memories: "Hey let's go visit my bro's grave in Coral. I used to play this specific sweet game with him." Spinnock played with Seerdomin. Spinnock was also a hell of a fighter in that he held up Kallor from sundown to sunup just to delay him, Spinnock wasn't even attacking.

Like after reading that single quote on the wiki how is there debate unless Esselmont went insane and had Mother Dark blend both Anomander and Spinnock into Jethiss.

I'm fairly sure there's a scene that says Rake has been playing using Spinnock as a proxy. Something like Spinnock congratulating Rake on his winning moves. But it's been some time since I last read TtH.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yep, in the book we were just talking about! Assail
And it's exactly as underwhelming as everything else in that book.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Even if you want to read it that way, Rake presumably never met Seerdomin so it would be strange for him to think of him as a friend and want to visit his barrow.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He knew Itkovian, though.

edit: VVV IIRC they're both buried at the same place. I could check but that'd mean rereading TtH and Assail so gently caress that, hopefully someone with fresher memories comes along.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 2, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah but did he play that chess game with him?

BTW I've also heard people speculate that Jethiss' line is referring to Whiskeyjack, who was notably one of Rake's few friends, and who may have played Andii-chess with him when they hung out in MoI. So that could still point to him being Rake. I also remember people saying Jethiss' description of his build didn't like up with Spinnock's but again it's been a while since I've read TtH.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 2, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The only Esslemont book I've read was RotCG and it was so awful I don't think I plan on trying the others. Assail at least sounds somewhat interesting but I think I'm ok.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

That's actually why I suggested it as an alternative. :v:

anilEhilated posted:

I'm fairly sure there's a scene that says Rake has been playing using Spinnock as a proxy. Something like Spinnock congratulating Rake on his winning moves. But it's been some time since I last read TtH.

I know the scene you're referring to but I can't remember the details. Dare I reach up and reopen TtH?

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah but did he play that chess game with him?

BTW I've also heard people speculate that Jethiss' line is referring to Whiskeyjack, who was notably one of Rake's few friends, and who may have played Andii-chess with him when they hung out in MoI. So that could still point to him being Rake. I also remember people saying Jethiss' description of his build didn't like up with Spinnock's but again it's been a while since I've read TtH.

Yes, but Whiskey Jack was interred in Moon's Spawn with the rest of the Bridge Burners, which was sent out to sea from Coral to sink. The quote from Assail specifically mentions a barrow. I can't remember what happened to Seerdomin's body, whether it was dumped in garbage but later recovered and interred, but his spirit was definitely chilling with the Redeemer in his barrow.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That scene with Toc telling an old man who doesn't even believe him all the poo poo he's went through since the start of the series was super great.

I love how about halfway through Reaper's Gale I was on the verge of getting bored when he introduced yet another new race and then HOLY poo poo MALAZANS IN LETHER NOW WE'RE COOKING OH THERE'S HELLIAN THREATENING TO CUT ONE OF HER TITS OFF GOD I MISSED YOU GUYS.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Malazans in Lether was to me almost the climax of the series. Getting all those crazy bastards in the same room was amazing.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every Jaghut scene in Forge of Darkness is great.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

zeal posted:

Every ... scene in Forge of Darkness is great.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
Wait, did we ever get an answer to what happens when you throw magic at hot otataral? I legit forget if that ever came up again.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't think it ever comes up outside of that one HoC line. I always just figured it made big explosions, or perhaps reality-sundering ones.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kreega Bondola posted:

Wait, did we ever get an answer to what happens when you throw magic at hot otataral? I legit forget if that ever came up again.
I thought that's how we got Korabas?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
You get a Holtzman effect big goddamn explosion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

rejutka posted:

You get a Holtzman effect big goddamn explosion.

That did happen and that's what the bridgeburners reported officially to the higher ups while shrugging their shoulders theatrically, but there was something else they kept real secret. I'm not sure what that secret is though.

anilEhilated posted:

I thought that's how we got Korabas?

I had to look up that name and I'm just going :wtf:. Korabas is the otataral dragon right?

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I vaguely recall a conversation where Quick Ben explains to Kalam that if you blast a whole lot of otataral with a whole lot of magic, you get an otataral dragon. Of course, he may be mistaken. IIRC, it's either in Bonehunters or DoD/TCG.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I don't recall that conversation at all. Korabas is an element force. IIRC the discussion wasn't about throwing magic at otataral, but throwing munitions at it, wasnt it?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah. I vaguely recall a conversation where Quick Ben explains to Kalam that if you blast a whole lot of otataral with a whole lot of magic, you get an otataral dragon. Of course, he may be mistaken. IIRC, it's either in Bonehunters or DoD/TCG.

I love how so much of this series is driven by characters' understanding of the world around them, which often as not is factually wrong in some way.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Ynglaur posted:

I love how so much of this series is driven by characters' understanding of the world around them, which often as not is factually wrong in some way.

That's one of my favorite parts, actually.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Re: Jethiss - but when did (TtH and TCG) Spinnock actually die? i remember him showing up at the shore with Korlat and the Andii and not dying after that?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One day I'll finish the series and be able to read all these spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Fenrir posted:

One day I'll finish the series and be able to read all these spoilers.

I first found this thread when I was on something like book 3. I bookmarked it and never looked at it again until I finished the 10th.

I guess I should probably read Forge of Darkness soon... I read all of ICE's books because I wanted more Malazan, and haven't touched the series since. Maybe I should give FoD a read.