Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Leader posted:

just attach a USB hub to your main macbook and plug USB hdds and Ethernet adapters into it and passthrough them into virtualbox where you run a router file server Linux

except for uptime thats a better setup than 95% of people have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

srsly

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

uuh ethernet switching gets done in hardware sure but like

hardware NAT? and i mean these shits usually run some form of linux?

idk i'm just a dumb retard but that doesn't sound right

it's a firmware w Linux on it, usually busybox or w/e but the good ones have hw accerated nat which is required to handle speeds for poo poo like fiber to the premise

for instance the default firmware on my router (archer c7) has the proprietary driver for the nat chip but has to do it in software when I put ddwrt on it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cremnob posted:

Nest is adding a "Farsight" feature to the thermostat,
sweet i've always wanted a thermostat that shoots through walls

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

A for participation but C- for being kinda dumb and stupid

hey I could make dece doggies writing for jon Oliver with this wit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr Dog posted:

uuh ethernet switching gets done in hardware sure but like

hardware NAT? and i mean these shits usually run some form of linux?

idk i'm just a dumb retard but that doesn't sound right

why not? you have the cpu set up the initial "packets meeting these parameters go here" rule when the connection is first established and then hand it off to an asic to do it as fast as possible. on consumer grade gear for the most part you lose the ability to do anything but fifo queuing but the trade off is generally worth it.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
gear grind

chrome was running like poo poo and constantly freezing on my work computer but I assumed it was my work computer

this morning my home computer starts doin it too. remove a bunch of extensions I don't use anymore, chrome runs fine on both.

gears ungrinded

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
chrome is the worst browser now, isn't it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

yah

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

please use safari like steve intended

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I'm both Nest emails this morning that hit my same email address.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's that time of year!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/google-update.html

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao was this it

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

let's get this one out of the way

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"gentlemen, we need a bold rebranding. we need to go... sans serif

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

looooololloololol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

"gentlemen, we need a bold rebranding. we need to go... sans serif
the sad part is the lower-case g still has a serif

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i have that same lovely buffulu wifi router, what is a good replacement that i can take out of the box and plug in?

i don't want to janitor my router and install poo poo on it thx.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

what does this mean

does it mean anything

quote:

So why are we doing this now? Once upon a time, Google was one destination that you reached from one device: a desktop PC. These days, people interact with Google products across many different platforms, apps and devices—sometimes all in a single day. You expect Google to help you whenever and wherever you need it, whether it’s on your mobile phone, TV, watch, the dashboard in your car, and yes, even a desktop!

Today we’re introducing a new logo and identity family that reflects this reality and shows you when the Google magic is working for you, even on the tiniest screens. As you’ll see, we’ve taken the Google logo and branding, which were originally built for a single desktop browser page, and updated them for a world of seamless computing across an endless number of devices and different kinds of inputs (such as tap, type and talk).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

vodkat posted:

looooololloololol

audience reaction: "...."

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

lol holy poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Endless Mike posted:

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

i have that same lovely buffulu wifi router, what is a good replacement that i can take out of the box and plug in?

i don't want to janitor my router and install poo poo on it thx.

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

what does this mean

does it mean anything

apparently a weird mash-up of the font used on the wii/u and futura and weird g-serif is more readable than just plain old catull

GoooJle

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Early this year, designers from all across the company, including Creative Lab and the Material Design team, convened in New York for an intense, week-long design sprint. We drafted a brief that identified four challenges we wanted to address:

A scalable mark that could convey the feeling of the full logotype in constrained spaces.

The incorporation of dynamic, intelligent motion that responded to users at all stages of an interaction.

A systematic approach to branding in our products to provide consistency in people’s daily encounters with Google.

A refinement of what makes us Googley, combining the best of the brand our users know and love with thoughtful consideration for how their needs are changing.

lmaooooo

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

fuzzy mammal is such a company man that he didn't want to leak this epic non-news

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cremnob posted:

A scalable mark that could convey the feeling of the full logotype in constrained spaces.

The incorporation of dynamic, intelligent motion that responded to users at all stages of an interaction.

A systematic approach to branding in our products to provide consistency in people’s daily encounters with Google.

A refinement of what makes us Googley, combining the best of the brand our users know and love with thoughtful consideration for how their needs are changing.

holy poo poo these were exactly my thoughts when i saw that logo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

just bought one of these last week. its awesome

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
"a new logo and identity family that reflects this reality and shows you when the Google magic is working for you, even on the tiniest screens"

hm yes a geometric font of identical circles and lines sounds much more readable, especially at small sizes

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i like how google keeps repeating this meme whenever they do something now

Google is not a conventional company.

if they repeat it enough the braindead zombies that work for them will believe they work for an innovative company when really they work at the new microsoft, where tech ppl go to retire

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i am absolutely shocked that marketing copy doesnt actually mean anything

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

tbf goog has a massive problem with their various products being little islands of dated or improvised branding.

this change of course addresses none of the root cause and won't fix a drat thing though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

indigi posted:

oh my god, was microsoft right about ths?

has chrome become ie 6?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

vodkat posted:

looooololloololol

imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff

google works the same way

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

what does this mean

does it mean anything

they're trying to say that sans serif is more legible on small screens, i think

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Wheany posted:

oh my god, was microsoft right about ths?

has chrome become ie 6?

how old are you

i don't use chrome but nothing can be THAT bad in this day and age.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Wheany posted:

what does google consider to be a small screen?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Dog posted:

how old are you

i don't use chrome but nothing can be THAT bad in this day and age.

ie 6 was great for a long rear end time. what else were you going to use, crashes-every-hour 0.01 builds of mozilla? netscape 4 from the 90s? opera when you had to pay for it or accept ads in the browser, and it couldn't handle most web standards?

or loving konquerer?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

they are, but they're wrong. serifs generally help you identify letters better at long distances/small sizes, but most people think san-serif typefaces look better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

ie 6 was great for a long rear end time. what else were you going to use, crashes-every-hour 0.01 builds of mozilla? netscape 4 from the 90s? opera when you had to pay for it or accept ads in the browser, and it couldn't handle most web standards?

or loving konquerer?

qft there really was no alternative for like at least 3 years

• Locked thread