Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Mr. Despair posted:

I did some looking the last time it came up, and there are companies advertising transport casks that have heat losses on the order of 3 C an hour, so there's probably a pretty decent margin there.

quote:

Refractory lining is 5" thick light weight 60% alumina castable capable of 3000° F. Heat loss ia approx. 45.5° an hour.

More than 3C/hr, but still seems manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

More than 3C/hr, but still seems manageable.

I'm assuming they could re-melt it in those casks if it cooled all the way down? (Unlike with a concrete truck, if it sets they're just boned.)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Would the aluminum have fused itself to the asphalt? I''m trying to figure out how you clean that up. Seems like the hot aluminum would make the asphalt sticky enough to make removing it problematic.

It looks like it doesnt fuse, if you look at this picture you can see some of the hardened aluminium has already separated from the road:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How long does metal stay molten so that it can be transported like that?

Railcars that transport liquid steel can apparently keep it molten for up to a day.
http://www.borail.org/BS-Co-No127.aspx

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

It looks like it doesnt fuse, if you look at this picture you can see some of the hardened aluminium has already separated from the road:

maybe pushed off, from steam from the water, if that wasn't from a firetruck to help cool the metal

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Have some OSHA humor!

I like the self-starter.

Probably a good idea or two in here.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, its not a full CSB video, but it is newish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn4Krb-HoI

I saw that preview a month ago and just want the whole thing to come out already.

But the craziest part is that no one was killed...somehow?:confuoot:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

KoRMaK posted:

Probably a good idea or two in here.

Random workplace death - alongside high gun ownership levels - are a key ranching population control measure, and are thus sacred to those engaged in such livelihoods.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IndianaZoidberg posted:

But the craziest part is that no one was killed...somehow?:confuoot:

It seemed bad enough that when the workers got there for the midnight checks...they saw the doom cloud and decided to live.

(This photo is from the day after btw)

A 100+ acre gasoline vapor cloud that engulfed 14 storage tanks filled with gasoline....

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5h3CMzdrw

A truck carrying liquid aluminium overturned on the highway.

i like how she says "hot load"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

maybe pushed off, from steam from the water, if that wasn't from a firetruck to help cool the metal

Thermal contraction alone could do it.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
This building in my area was just finished. I don't understand the rusty metal shingles. Looking at that much rust makes me cringe.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
not sure if posted yet: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5b1_1441057783

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Been posted but this video has clearer audio. Christ, my favourite part of the video is the boss saying, even after being warned and the side collapsing in that "Still the sheets gotta go in". Christ, it would take all of my patience if I was a safety inspector not to punch that supervisor in the face.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
The guy looks stuck in there, reminds me of:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

akasnowmaaan posted:

Wish you were 'Post Nothing'

Shut the gently caress up. Say Nothing is a quality poster.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Melian Dialogue posted:

Been posted but this video has clearer audio. Christ, my favourite part of the video is the boss saying, even after being warned and the side collapsing in that "Still the sheets gotta go in". Christ, it would take all of my patience if I was a safety inspector not to punch that supervisor in the face.

At work (training institute related to cranes and forklifts) we've got posters in the classrooms that read "The need to get the job done doesn't add ANY capacity to the crane!"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

I'm all for cutting back the Air Force's budget but this might be going a bit too far.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone's building a jet Johnny Cash style.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re: the aluminum transport talk, you guys know how cement trucks work, right? They mix cement and water at the plant and then the truck has to get to the job site and unload within a specific amount of time. A serious delay and the cement hardens inside the mixer.

And then you either scrap the entire mixer tank, or some poor fucker has to get in there with a jackhammer, probably violating a bunch of OSHA regulations about working in confined spaces.

Anyway, point is, there are other areas where "deliver this on time or else the truck is ruined" is a thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Re: the aluminum transport talk, you guys know how cement trucks work, right? They mix cement and water at the plant and then the truck has to get to the job site and unload within a specific amount of time. A serious delay and the cement hardens inside the mixer.

And then you either scrap the entire mixer tank, or some poor fucker has to get in there with a jackhammer, probably violating a bunch of OSHA regulations about working in confined spaces.

Or you get some explosives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IcHUHRf_S0

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

bustercasey posted:

This building in my area was just finished. I don't understand the rusty metal shingles. Looking at that much rust makes me cringe.

Not sure how this is OSHA related at all and looks aside.....it's probably Cor-ten steel. Cor-ten,although it looks rusty, actually develops a protective patina and can last for a very long time.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm all for cutting back the Air Force's budget but this might be going a bit too far.

I just left that base, Osan AB in Korea, and you'd see this stuff all the time. The best is the fully loaded passenger cabin with only one dude in the back.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
OSHA?
OSHA!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway, point is, there are other areas where "deliver this on time or else the truck is ruined" is a thing.

Can’t you “poison” the cement with sugar to prevent that?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

SQUARSH

That guy is so loving dead.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

bustercasey posted:

I guess they used weathering steel? The idea is to get an alloy that generates a uniform, unbroken patina that then acts as a barrier against further corrosion. It doesn't also work so well, though.

Pictured: Atlanta's Omni Coliseum, which looked like the base of one of the lovely SimCity arcologies.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Jesus

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Can’t you “poison” the cement with sugar to prevent that?

Yes, but it'd never come to that unless someone really screws up. When a load on concrete gets to the job, someone's supposed to inspect that poo poo and the number of turns the barrel's rotated is written down on the inspection report. If it's spent too long in transit it's been agitated too much and won't cure right so that load gets rejected and dumped. Or if people aren't doing their in right it gets accepted and poured. But in neither case is it going to sit in the drum until it sets.

Again, unless someone really screws up. Which never happens. But that's like a driver-gets-drunk-drives-to-Vegas-and-passes-out level of "screwed up."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
How screwed are they if the truck breaks down?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Like ten years down the road, this remains one of the best sounds ever put on television. I have a very clear memory of watching this episode with my roommate in college.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

whitey delenda est posted:

Like ten years down the road, this remains one of the best sounds ever put on television. I have a very clear memory of watching this episode with my roommate in college.

Fun fact: the cameras missed their reaction shot, so what you see in the clip is them just faking it.

It's a toss up between that and the rocketsled car crash as my favorite moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl8xTqTUGCY

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Say Nothing posted:

OSHA?
OSHA!

ironically, he would have lived if he had stayed in the truck

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

How screwed are they if the truck breaks down?

Depends if the drum is driven by a pony motor or by a PTO off the drive engine.

If the former: they'll dump sugar into the drum to stop the concrete setting until the truck's mobile, at which point they'll attempt to deliver it to someone who doesn't much care for the slump testing results dispose of it responsibly,. If the latter, they'll usually attempt to dump the concrete in the road verge and rely on the local council to eventually break up the resulting dinosaur turd and dispose of it for them.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

OSHA?
OSHA!

Just like in the movie Prometheus, should have ran to the side, not in line with the roll.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

He dead

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Asphalt trucks have similar considerations for cooling. It's delivered with dump trucks and has to be laid down within 2 to 3 hours. From http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/150-5370-14a/150_5370_14a_app1_part_iii_a.pdf

quote:

Hot-mix asphalt in a mass, such as when the mix is confined in
a truck bed, will maintain a reasonable temperature for
as long as 2 or 3 hours. The rate of cooling of the mix
depends on such variables as its temperature at the time
of production, the ambient air temperature, and the efficiency
of any insulation used on the sides and bottom
of the truck. When hauled long distances without being
covered by a tarp, HMA will cool and develop a crust
on the top. The crust serves as an insulating layer for the
rest of the mix in the truck bed and reduces the rate of
cooling for the remainder of the material. Thus within
limits, crust formation can be beneficial. However, the
crust must be completely broken down before reaching
the paver, or tears and pulls in the finished mat surface
will occur.

If the load of mix is properly tarped, the amount of
crust buildup will be minimized because the wind will
have significantly less effect on the rate of cooling of the
mix. The slight crust thickness that does form during
transport will usually be broken up completely as the
mix is discharged from the haul vehicle into the paver,
carried by the slat conveyors back to the augers, and
passed under the paver screed. As long as chunks of asphalt
mix do not affect the quality of the mat behind the
paver, the crust that forms on top of the mix during delivery
will not be detrimental to the long-term performance
of the mix. If chunks of mix can be seen behind
the screed, however, changes need to be made in the mix
production temperature, the amount of insulation on the
truck bed, the covering of the load with the tarp, the
paving schedule (waiting for warmer ambient temperatures),
or any combination of these factors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Would the aluminum have fused itself to the asphalt? I''m trying to figure out how you clean that up. Seems like the hot aluminum would make the asphalt sticky enough to make removing it problematic.

A sticky hot load can be troublesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Leperflesh posted:

Typically you just dump it in a ditch then use your on-board water reservoir to clean out the insides before that happens. I've seen the end result of an idiot who worked for Lafarge and forgot to turn the drum on. Dude drove for an hour, arrived at the site, dumped a little in the forms, the contractor refused to accept it because it was too hard, and then the idiot drove back to the depot (spinning the drum of hardening concrete), looked at his watch, saw it was 12:00, turned off the truck, went for lunch, and arrived back at work in time to get fired. That drum was almost a-write off, but they had a special super high-pressure, pressure washer for just those occasions (thing can slice cinder blocks like they were Styrofoam). They didn't even need to take out a hammer.

• Locked thread