Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PYROxSYCO posted:

I wanna try and be one of those "let's play" people like i.e. "PewdiePie". How over inflated is this genre of entertainment/show business by other people who are trying this?

What do you think are some prerequisites for doing this type of entertainment?

There are a billion people doing it and practically no prerequisites. You need a computer that can record and edit video, and a microphone. That's it. Obviously the low barrier to entry means that most people doing it are terrible, and the majority of the rest are mediocre at best. If you want to do it for fun, there's no reason not to. If you want to make money at it like PewDiePie, your chances ar practically non-existent, especially if you think it's going to be quick and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PYROxSYCO posted:

I wanna try and be one of those "let's play" people like i.e. "PewdiePie". How over inflated is this genre of entertainment/show business by other people who are trying this?

Well for starters, hope you like doing at least half a full time job of time every week for months before you start making money on it. You'll also need to be good at games (even though they often pretend to suck at a game, they do need to be able to progress in them well). You will need a good quality microphone or noone will want to listen, and experience in video editing or no one will want to watch.

To really get subscribers and thus views and popularity, you'll need to get at least a semi consistent and frequent release schedule. You'll probably also need to be willing to stream direct to an audience on twitch etc weekly or every 2 weeks to build a community.

Oh and don't forget needing to write your material, because the random yelling section is pretty tied up. Hope you got good console capture cards and PC video capture software too!

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Also be prepared to fork over every ounce of dignity you've accumulated in your life thus far

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

PYROxSYCO posted:

Don't quit your day job.

This is sort of a Hollywood-esque situation where lots and lots of people are going in on the gold rush hoping to make it big. The harsh reality is that very very few of them actually make it big enough to actually make decent money from it. If you just want to do it for fun, fine. But if you want to make job/career out of it you need to face those facts and find something that sets you apart from and above most of the others.

To directly answer your second question, you need a quality microphone, a capture card if you plan on playing console games, a gaming PC if you're going that route, and maybe a webcam. Although, there are a good number of successful LPers who don't use webcam so it's totally optional.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Pretty sure he's joking.

That said, there's no law against buying and selling in a police station parking lot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How do I get an image of Tony Wilson's signature. I think I've bought the late Manchester-based music impressario's copy of a Saul Bellow book and I want to know it wasn't just some joker with a pencil.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do I get an image of Tony Wilson's signature. I think I've bought the late Manchester-based music impressario's copy of a Saul Bellow book and I want to know it wasn't just some joker with a pencil.

Not trying to just say let me google that for you, (especially since I use Bing), but if his signature is Anthony Wilson, it looks like in comes up the first round of image searches.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 31, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Let-me-google-that-for-you is snarky and dumb most of the time, but sometimes it's warranted, especially itt.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Mr. Squishy posted:

There are a couple photos in this article about an auction of memorabilia.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I honestly did try to google it a bit and just got like, old Factory flyers. Welp.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm experimenting with zen subtheming in Drupal using a locally hosted website with XAMPP. I have basically no idea what I'm doing, so bear with me if my terminology makes no sense.

What I want to do is make my sub theme on my desktop and then copy it to our actual website with SSH (my understanding is that this will let me select the sub theme as a theme on the actual website and it'll be pretty seamless).

The problem is that other people in the company want to work on this as well, so I want to put the whole local website database/folder in a synced Dropbox folder, and make a symbolic link to the XAMPP folder so that when I fire up the website on my computer, it loads the database info stored in Dropbox. This way, when I make a change to a CSS file, it'll sync to Dropbox and when someone else changes a different file, it'll be visible on my computer after syncing. Is there any way to make this work using a localhost thing? A simpler way is to probably just do this on the actual website itself, right? Everyone just SSHing into the theme files themselves.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm running a DnD 4e game, and it's really hard to grasp for me. There are a lot of charts and stuff, is there a good online resource to get everything spelled out for me like I'm the learning challenged dweeb I know I am?

Is there a program to do most of the heavy lifting IE: Math?

What would you guys recommend? I tried the 4e thread, and google, but I didn't get a lot of help.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

tuyop posted:

I'm experimenting with zen subtheming in Drupal using a locally hosted website with XAMPP. I have basically no idea what I'm doing, so bear with me if my terminology makes no sense.

What I want to do is make my sub theme on my desktop and then copy it to our actual website with SSH (my understanding is that this will let me select the sub theme as a theme on the actual website and it'll be pretty seamless).

The problem is that other people in the company want to work on this as well, so I want to put the whole local website database/folder in a synced Dropbox folder, and make a symbolic link to the XAMPP folder so that when I fire up the website on my computer, it loads the database info stored in Dropbox. This way, when I make a change to a CSS file, it'll sync to Dropbox and when someone else changes a different file, it'll be visible on my computer after syncing. Is there any way to make this work using a localhost thing? A simpler way is to probably just do this on the actual website itself, right? Everyone just SSHing into the theme files themselves.

You want sh/sc.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm running a DnD 4e game, and it's really hard to grasp for me. There are a lot of charts and stuff, is there a good online resource to get everything spelled out for me like I'm the learning challenged dweeb I know I am?

What would you guys recommend? I tried the 4e thread, and google, but I didn't get a lot of help.

Have you tried D&D Insider? It's a really good resource for beginners.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes actually! I have an account, but they're all 5th edition stuff, and I'm not sure how well the archives work for 4e

E: The compendium doesn't have a lot of the rules, and I'm having trouble finding something to keep trap of intiative. WHile I have the essentials books, it's a lot of reading, so I'd love just something that can help me wing it.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Turtlicious posted:

I just started a 4e game (I've never played it before and I'm not the GM) but the thing we're using is https://roll20.net/

It's not set up specifically for 4e alone, it works for a bunch of different tabletop games, but it has 4e specific character sheets that allow you to plug in your stats, calculate mods and derived stats for you, and let you roll by clicking buttons on the character sheet itself. (For example, roll dexterity, just click the dex button and it rolls your dice+mod).

It also has a really robust macro system for creating your powers, so they are also one-button rolls, but I have very little idea of how to macro the more complicated powers.

It does have an initiative tracker with turn order, which has been useful so far.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Turtlicious posted:

So, are you just trying to figure out how to fill in all of the correct numbers on your character sheet, or are you trying to figure out how to set up and run a game? If it's the latter, buy a published adventure - improvising as a DM is hard, and takes a lot of practice to do well.

If you're just trying to figure out how all of the rules work... there's not a whole lot to say, other than "read the rules closely." As a DM, it's fully within your power to vastly simplify the rules, if you and your players want a more narrative experience. There's no D&D Police out there who're going to yell at you for playing wrong. You can probably get by understanding Attack Rolls vs Defense, Saving Throws, and basic Skill Checks. Just make sure that everyone is on the same page first; you don't want your players to feel cheated when you hand-wave some rule away in order to speed up play. It's a game, after all. If everyone is having fun, you're doing it right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I get a lot of pdfs of books that have been scanned where each page of the pdf is two pages of the book. Is there an easy way to convert them so that each scanned page is a separate page in the pdf?

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I get a lot of pdfs of books that have been scanned where each page of the pdf is two pages of the book. Is there an easy way to convert them so that each scanned page is a separate page in the pdf?

Like this? http://superuser.com/questions/791022/how-can-i-split-in-half-a-double-page-scanned-pdf-in-a-single-pass

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yes, exactly like that. Thanks. :)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

So, I'm kinda involved in a research project that involves using facebook data. We want to save timelines as close to the original layout as possible, but with all comments expanded, and as much history as possible. Preferably with the text preserved as text if possible. How would one go about doing something like that? So far, our solution is long-rear end screenshots, but that takes ages and doesn't really grant that good results.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a way I can see the full address from a USPS tracking number?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Only Registered and Certified Mail have these options available. Even then, they are not provided in digital format. You get mailed a receipt back with the recipient's signature.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PYROxSYCO posted:

On top of what everyone else said you really should fork over some cash to buy a proper video editing software, windows movie maker (at least the 7 version) is extremely basic at best (no fancy stuff here outside of putting your commentary over the video and cutting parts out) and buggy at worst (videos over 4 gigs are corrupted, splitting a video may randomly cut out parts of the video requiring you to either undo and try something different or drop in another copy of the video to continue editing)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why do most if not all coffee mugs have a concave bottom?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leal posted:

windows movie maker (at least the 7 version) is extremely basic at best (no fancy stuff here outside of putting your commentary over the video and cutting parts out) and buggy at worst (videos over 4 gigs are corrupted, splitting a video may randomly cut out parts of the video requiring you to either undo and try something different or drop in another copy of the video to continue editing)

I've had no problems with the Windows 8 version. I haven't tried to do anything fancy with it, but I haven't encountered any problems with large files or bits of videos disappearing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does the placebo effect still work if you're aware of the effect?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yes, though I imagine it's diminished. I remember a BBC prog about some legal headscratching because, while it's usual to prescribe sugar pills in research, it's not supported to prescribe them as regular treatment. So people who found relief from... an intestinal thing? from clearly-stated placebos couldn't benefit from that after it was proven.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

hooah posted:

It's not just coffee mugs. Almost everything from pill bottles to candle jars have concave bottoms.
I'm pretty sure it simply adds strength to the container.

As for drinking containers specifically, it's an easy way to control the volume of the container when standardized amounts are needed like mugs and wine bottles.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flat or concave bottoms also help keep the liquid from sloshing around when you move the cup. If you've ever used a round-bottomed coffee cup and tried to walk somewhere with the cup in your hand, you'll understand why.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it "Director of Communications" or "Director for Communications"?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I can't easily think of a situation where the latter is preferred over the former. When in doubt, use "of"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vegetable posted:

Is it "Director of Communications" or "Director for Communications"?

Director for Communications would be acceptable in the UK, but not really in America.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

hooah posted:

If you mean the outside of the mug, it's to minimize the contact area with what you set it on so heat isn't conducted away as quickly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When and how was it decided that 2 hours was the best/median length for a movie, and 4-5 minutes for a song?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Golbez posted:

When and how was it decided that 2 hours was the best/median length for a movie, and 4-5 minutes for a song?

It's a gradual thing in both cases I think. Early rock'n'roll has a lot of two minute songs, which got gradually longer, with some fun stuff going on in the seventies and "classic rock" being way longer. I think it's the same with movies.

How is a combination of trial and error and probably a lot of focus groups and crap.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Recording technology dictated the length of singles for a long time. Early 78rpm records could only hold about 3 minutes of music, so when that was all you had your song had to fit that length. Later 33rpm LP records came out and you could release full albums, but songs were still typically sized to fit the single format as that's where a lot of the money was. Later 45rpm singles came out, which were smaller but could hold up to 5 minutes per side, so that's how you wound up with 3-5 minutes being a typical song length for pop artists.

With tapes, CDs and into the digital era, the distinction between singles and album releases has gotten more arbitrary, but songs are still typically the same length as that's culturally about the max attention span people are willing to listen for on the radio.

I imagine film lengths are probably for similar reasons, you don't wanna carry around more than about 2 classic reels' worth of film at a time, and even with the move to digital there's probably also an endurance factor where people don't wanna stare up at a big screen for much longer than that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Song lengths are a result of record and radio limitations.

For instance, the 78 RPM 10 inch records that were the standard before 45 and 33 rpm records came out topped at 3.5 minutes a side typically. A little later, 12 inch 78 RPM records came out and could do up to 5 minutes with careful manufacturing.

Then 45 RPM, 7 inch singles started to be a thing, and essentially to keep good audio quality throughout they've got to stick to about 6 minutes a side. You can do up to 9 minutes per side, but then can impact audio quality. So from late 40s - early 50s and onward, your common format for a single song or pair of songs is a 45 RPM 7 inch disc, and 6 minutes is your limit for most purposes.

And of course radio stations of the vinyl era prefer not to have to carefully cue up a track on a whole album side of a 33 RPM LP (with the exception of self-explanatory "Album Oriented Radio" format stations), so radio play relies on singles and thus 6 minutes is your typical cap on what the radio will play.

There are significantly longer tracks from time to time, because you could do things like have a single long song on a larger disc or other such things, but it created a rough targeting area that's kept to out of sheer convention nowadays.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have an old PS1 memory card that does not have enough space to save a game on it. So I restarted the PS2 and went to delete all the data on the card when I started the game back up it siad there was no space on the card. I checked and sure enough all the data I deleted had returned, why might this be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I just got off the phone with my ISP after increasing my connection speed. The dude said something along the lines of, "okay I uploaded [thing] to your modem to set the new download and upload rate and now I need to restart it..."

I always figured connection speed was capped somewhere on their end, not on my modem. How exactly is it done?