Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i like foobar2k but i also seriously enjoy arranging things both digital and irl so it may not be for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cmykjester posted:

iTunes for Windows is a piece of poo poo that causes a runaway disnoted process on my PC.

What's a good program to play music on Windows?

i unironically use foobar2000

i set it up 6-7 years ago have havent touched it since, suits my needs and works 4 me

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cmykjester posted:

iTunes for Windows is a piece of poo poo that causes a runaway disnoted process on my PC.

winamp or zune

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
i unironically use google music because it's free, it works well enough, it's got apps for ios too, and if i need to i can just redownload my entire collection and go back to being a foobar sperg

use whatever works for you and if anybody gives you poo poo because they made different choices, gently caress 'em

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Heresiarch posted:

use whatever works for you and if anybody gives you poo poo because they made different choices, gently caress 'em

haha nice fake post

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Try out musicbee, it's a pretty good looking and functional player. I switched to it after getting annoyed with foobar.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have a centos box that boots from a usb drive. when i first set it up, i used some cheapy $7 thumb drive. predictably, the boot partition got all fuckered because of the cheap drive. so i bought a class 10 kingston micro-sdhc and a usb adapter for it, thinking this would get me higher quality flash media. after a few weeks of use, the nmbd service failed to start normally, so i would ssh into it by ip and restart the service every time i would boot the machine. after months of this, apparently now nmbd is completely unable to start. im going to start chasing the reason for this, but i kind of feel like maybe the boot media is failing again? is this reasonable? two times in a row? is there another reasonable cause for this sort of degredation? the box is a fileserver, so it pretty much just gets turned on, remotely accessed, then turned back off. nothing on the boot partition really gets altered.

i hope i dont have to put another spinny disk in this thing, lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
why would a cheap drive cause the boot partition to fail

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i like foobar2k but i also seriously enjoy arranging things both digital and irl so it may not be for everyone

Your a media janitor irl soooooo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anyone have an m2x5 screw they'd send me for a buck or w/e? I just need one and ordering a 24 pack seems wasteful to me

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

anthonypants posted:

why would a cheap drive cause the boot partition to fail

because hte boot partition is on said cheap flash media. it's a fileserver with 4 conventional hard drives, with the os (centos 7) on the flash drive/micro-sdhc card

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Raluek posted:

because hte boot partition is on said cheap flash media. it's a fileserver with 4 conventional hard drives, with the os (centos 7) on the flash drive/micro-sdhc card

perhaps you could test the drive to see if its working properly

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raluek posted:

if by "cheap" you mean that it says it's a 128GB flash card and it's actually like 4GB, then yes, you need a better storage device

are you actually using that usb device as an os, or are you using it like a livecd and keeping the os in ram? because if you use it like a livecd you can write-protect the disk. and you don't need a lot of ram for a fileserver

or, hey, since it's a file server, you have storage on this server, you can just use a tiny portion of your disks to put a loving OS onto without having to justify needless bullshit

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 22, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bobbilljim posted:

perhaps you could test the drive to see if its working properly

well i mean fsck has no problems with it

anthonypants posted:

if by "cheap" you mean that it says it's a 128GB flash card and it's actually like 4GB, then yes, you need a better storage device

are you actually using that usb device as an os, or are you using it like a livecd and keeping the os in ram? because if you use it like a livecd you can write-protect the disk. and you don't need a lot of ram for a fileserver

or, hey, since it's a file server, you have storage on this server, you can just use a tiny portion of your disks to put a loving OS onto without having to justify needless bullshit

nah its just a normal centos install, not set up as a "live" thing. yeah i could make a small partition on the raid itself, i just liked the idea of separation of concerns between system and data; i was figuring i could just throw a $15 usb storage device at it and not have my OS on the raid. welp i guess not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that "'live' thing" is taking an iso and burning that onto a usb disk

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

anthonypants posted:

that "'live' thing" is taking an iso and burning that onto a usb disk

yea but it would be missing packages i want and configuration etc. so i would have to unfreeze it, make changes, then repack the disk image and it all seems like way too much of a hassle

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raluek posted:

yea but it would be missing packages i want and configuration etc. so i would have to unfreeze it, make changes, then repack the disk image and it all seems like way too much of a hassle
lol

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dodoman posted:

Try out musicbee, it's a pretty good looking and functional player. I switched to it after getting annoyed with foobar.

you tried to skin it didnt you

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
my iPad charger stopped working:angry:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I dont normally use nosql bc i tried it out for a while and it was loving garbage, but I've finally run across a database structure that is much better suited for it; very graph-like. I have a very hierarchical tree like structure starting w/ a single root node and making tons of leaves w/ more leaves, dividing into a million different structs, which then reference other leaves from other branches. what db should i use for this?? mongo cant handle it bc it has a limit for doc size. This db struct is probs going to be about 3gb as a bigass tree and idk what nosql trends have grown to be actually useful products. I originally tried to put it in a huge json string and just load it into mem when i want to browse it, but js caps string lengths to like 150mb or something and doesnt let u use up as much mem as u want for regular objects. buffers are the only way to bypass those mem limits. so im p sure any javascript based db's are not going to work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

obstipator posted:

I dont normally use nosql bc i tried it out for a while and it was loving garbage, but I've finally run across a database structure that is much better suited for it; very graph-like. I have a very hierarchical tree like structure starting w/ a single root node and making tons of leaves w/ more leaves, dividing into a million different structs, which then reference other leaves from other branches. what db should i use for this?? mongo cant handle it bc it has a limit for doc size. This db struct is probs going to be about 3gb as a bigass tree and idk what nosql trends have grown to be actually useful products. I originally tried to put it in a huge json string and just load it into mem when i want to browse it, but js caps string lengths to like 150mb or something and doesnt let u use up as much mem as u want for regular objects. buffers are the only way to bypass those mem limits. so im p sure any javascript based db's are not going to work

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

obstipator posted:

I dont normally use nosql bc i tried it out for a while and it was loving garbage, but I've finally run across a database structure that is much better suited for it; very graph-like.

realtalk though: mongo is garbage, since you have a graph you want to store maybe check out a graph database like neo4j

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

realtalk though: mongo is garbage, since you have a graph you want to store maybe check out a graph database like neo4j

neato, thanks

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is there a good tool to wipe a hard drive that doesn't involve booting from a cd?

i know dban is the standard, but i just have no desire to boot from a disc

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stymie posted:

is there a good tool to wipe a hard drive that doesn't involve booting from a cd?

a really big magnet

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

anthonypants posted:

a really big magnet

carbide drill bit

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Stymie posted:

a different drive to your os, right? why not just format

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stymie posted:

boot dban from an usb

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you can just dd the iso to the usb stick and it will work

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cmykjester posted:

itunes for windows has stopped downloading new episodes of subscribed podcasts for some reason. it's a piece of poo poo

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
cOMPUTER NO WORK! !!!!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

prefect posted:

itunes for windows has stopped downloading new episodes of subscribed podcasts for some reason. it's a piece of poo poo

i have the opposite problem where it just downloads all the old podcasts available for download even though i've marked them as played. mark them as played, delete them, it will redownload all of them as unplayed.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why is it nobody else wants to join me in changing the pronunciation to "neo forge"

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
uaah!!! AAaaauuAhuhJuUUUH???!? COMpuTER nNO WORKY???

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

no they will not posted:

cOMPUTER NO WORK! !!!!

same.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

you can just dd the iso to the usb stick and it will work

i should be clear, i want to wipe the drive without having to exit windows and reboot at all because it's a hassle

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
right click the drive in my computer and go to format and uncheck quick format

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gargle chome posted:

right click the drive in my computer and go to format and uncheck quick format

yes please do then sned me the disk so i can recover loving everything tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008