Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

signalnoise posted:

I would genuinely love to see what this thread could do with a cheap gundam kit

Everyone paints a Ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BULBASAUR posted:

Same here. I swear by Testors Dullcote. Lately I've switched to using Pledge for glass varnish needs, but Testors Gloss Cote is still rock solid.

Do you do anything about undercuts where spray won't reach?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Avenging Dentist posted:

Do you do anything about undercuts where spray won't reach?

I usually just flip the model over once its dry and hit it from that side.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SRM posted:

I usually just flip the model over once its dry and hit it from that side.

My main worry is spraying easier-to-hit areas too heavily but I can probably just experiment with it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Exactly what battle brother SRM says. I paint my models with little bits of glued to their legs so it's easier:

I do my bases separate.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I do my bases separate.

Even for varnishing?

I guess I should just test this out on the Bones minis I picked up for the entire purpose of testing poo poo like this out. (PS I loving hate trying to clean flash from Bones.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Also I feel like if you don't varnish your Space Marine's armpit, he'll probably be okay. They're probably not gonna chip there.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SRM posted:

Also I feel like if you don't varnish your Space Marine's armpit, he'll probably be okay. They're probably not gonna chip there.

Right, but I'm more concerned with making sure that the model has consistent colors all over, since I like painting way more than I like playing (but I also want to varnish so that I can play).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Which one of you jerks bought all of the Rowney Blue and Dark Green ink from the only Dick Blick's in Connecticut? I did an 80 mile round trip just to find out that they were out of exactly those two colors. Now I have to pay for shipping AND wait for a week or more. :mad: The only consolation is that a game store up there had some Warhammer terrain that I can flip on Ebay for double what I paid for it...

Does anyone know of a good site, blog, whatever where someone has done up a good spectral army? I want to do up my Vampire Counts army as a completely ghostly force and want some inspiration.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

My setup is way less advanced than krushgroove's:

Fear not, that's dope. I'm in a basement apartment and the lack of natural light stinks. Even with the ceiling light and the hobby desk light on there isn't that all-enveloping light that light from a window provides.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SRM posted:

Just be like me and spray in the back staircase of your apartment building and never tell your landlord.

Same. I also used to spray in some underground passageway behind my old building, it was pretty much perfect year-round.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Avenging Dentist posted:

Right, but I'm more concerned with making sure that the model has consistent colors all over, since I like painting way more than I like playing (but I also want to varnish so that I can play).

I've been playing with unvarnished metal models for 5 years now and nothing is chipped.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've been playing with unvarnished metal models for 5 years now and nothing is chipped.

That's not been my experience. I've definitely had to touch up the edges of guys (especially metal guys) after a few games. Usually the problem is from them tipping over and dinging up any protruding bits. I don't always varnish before the first time I play with some minis, but I try to do so pretty soon after.

(The obvious solution here is to stop making excuses for not painting and just deal with it.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

I just remove my hobby tools, put an old towel over the desk and clamp it against the wall up to the lamps (so it makes an L shape against the wall). Then a put paper towels over the cloth towel so I don't need to wash it constantly. Open window, turn on fan facing desk, spray, no problems. I almost never spray more than 35 PSI, but I definitely wear a respirator while I do this.

Thanks! I'll try it and if the spray spreads too much I'll get a large box to enclose it all in. Really what I'm afraid of is losing my security deposit due to paint on the walls lol.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I was going through some of my old mini boxes to organize stuff in preparation for painting again, and holy gently caress I had like 60 citadel pots (nearly all of them the old, old screw-tops) and 5 cans of primer, including some Rustoleum I don't even remember why I bought. The prize of the bunch is probably a can of Ultramarines Blue spray from 1999. poo poo's old enough to drive now.

I cannot fathom why I moved three separate times with this poo poo.

e: Ooh I also found a bonus mystery liquid that I think might be rubbing alcohol.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 2, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks! I'll try it and if the spray spreads too much I'll get a large box to enclose it all in. Really what I'm afraid of is losing my security deposit due to paint on the walls lol.

On rare occasion I get a little bit of fog on a corner of my desk where I accidentally moved the towel, but water takes it right off. As long as you aren't shooting paint at really high PSI for minutes on end you should be fine.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Fear not, that's dope. I'm in a basement apartment and the lack of natural light stinks. Even with the ceiling light and the hobby desk light on there isn't that all-enveloping light that light from a window provides.

Haha, I always think my setup is pretty ghetto compared to the stations some of the folks in here have built

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

Crap Tank!

Liljonas, I love the busted up rust effects on it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Chill la Chill posted:

First of all, thank you for the huge effort post! I'll try to rig one up next to a living room window we don't use so I should be able to get a good fan, filter, and tube and box combo going. I looked at the one from Amazon that people posted and that's v expensive too :/. Someone on another forum said I should get a certain type of fan because of possible fires from atomized paint hitting magnet fans? I was looking at tutorials and I must've been looking at car detail ones cuz they were talking about 40-55 psi and nothing close to 25psi.
If you're spraying with acrylics, don't worry about setting off fires or anything like that. If you're spraying with enamels, spirits (like white spirit), cellulose thinner or anything like that, then yes be very careful. It's the flammable vapors going past the sparks put out by the electrical motor you need to worry about. If you make your own booth you'll need to get a special extraction fan that's made for flammable environments (I don't know the actual wording but they are expensive). If you buy a booth or extraction unit you'll have to look at the right, safe equipment.

For bad clogs (or more likely, laziness from the night before) I use cellulose thinner to dissolve any junk that's in the paint cup, needle, nozzle, etc. I get around the flame worry by spraying the thinners into my garbage can, which is half-full of discarded paper towels from painting anyway, it's become a huge dump tub basically where I rinse out paint cups and stuff anyway.

BULBASAUR posted:

Hey, whatever works for you! I'm a bit lucky in many respects, the house I rent has a converted loft/attic but it has a sloping ceiling so I literally custom-make the booth to fit the angle of the ceiling - which is what spray booths tend to do anyway. Plus it's my man cave so I have a photo booth and loads of gaming books at one end, with my painting stuff and computer at the other end, with RC cars and books in the middle. It's messy as hell but I actually had significant movement of crap so I could have flat areas to try out some plaster casting over the long weekend just past, so I'm inspired to clean up a bit more while waiting for silicone and plaster to dry.

signalnoise posted:

I love the crowdsourced poo poo tank competition and would actually love to set something like this up, but I'm way too busy with loads of things...actually this would be a good 'flash competition' on the Oath Thread, I have a lot of 'overstock' donated gifts from some of the Oath Thread sponsors. So if no one minds I can do this in the Oath Thread? Anygoon is welcome to join, you don't have to be a regular, recurring participant and we can do a vote in this thread for who did the best.

How about something cheap, current and jokey like an Age of Sigmar sigmarine dude? They're going relatively cheap on ebay. Totally open to other ideas of miniatures, but I don't know of anything that will appeal to all or a majority of miniature painters.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

hooman posted:

Liljonas, I love the busted up rust effects on it.

Thanks! It was my first attempt at using hairspray to fix an undercoat of one colour, and then paint another colour as the main coat, and then actually do real scratches with a busted up bbq skewer and some dental tools. The craptank being so crappy meant that it was an excellent opportunity to just try out different ways without worrying about ruining something I care about. The result was that the damages where not at all realistically in scale for a 1:72 kit, but it was a ton of fun.

I'll definitely try it again, but with a bit more care.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Spray booth chat finally got me to order this stuff that's been on my watch list for a long time, it's cardboard concertina baffles made for spray booths.

This stuff catches the air & paint and is disposable so instead of getting filters custom made by another ebay seller I'd found, I can just just cut this to fit (it comes in 9m by 900mm rolls). US-style furnace filters are pretty much impossible to find in the UK (many painters use the filters just taped to box fans - which are also impossible to find in the UK) so I'll put cheap cooker hood filter material on the back of this, stuff it all in the back of my spray booth and run the extraction fan behind the filter/concertina baffles.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Where do folks get magic sculpt? I want to try some for my basius pads now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Bavius posted:

Where do folks get magic sculpt? I want to try some for my basius pads now.

I got mine through an Amazon seller called Artplace Art Supplies.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm tempted to try painting my first miniature with my left hand this weekend. I lost use of my right arm (supposedly temporary but after 8 weeks of every day all day physiotherapy it's not massively improved. ) following a critical il illness in May and haven't painted since. Missing it loads.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Serotonin posted:

I'm tempted to try painting my first miniature with my left hand this weekend. I lost use of my right arm (supposedly temporary but after 8 weeks of every day all day physiotherapy it's not massively improved. ) following a critical il illness in May and haven't painted since. Missing it loads.

drat, dude that sucks. Take inspiration from Lefty Perry!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

krushgroove posted:

drat, dude that sucks. Take inspiration from Lefty Perry!

Exactly who I was thinking of.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BULBASAUR posted:

Exactly what battle brother SRM says. I paint my models with little bits of glued to their legs so it's easier:

I do my bases separate.

You should clearly base them still glued to the painting stands and make stiltmarines.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

thespaceinvader posted:

You should clearly base them still glued to the painting stands and make stiltmarines.
^^^ This!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Welp I haven't painted in 10 years, but I just ordered Imperial Assault and $100 of Vallejo/Rosemary & Co painting kit.

Thanks thread!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Serotonin posted:

Exactly who I was thinking of.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I love your stuff. Hang in there, both with the therapy and learning to use your left hand! It's totally doable.

Maybe start oathing a little as a retraining. Your new nickname could be 'Sinister Serotonin'.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I love your stuff. Hang in there, both with the therapy and learning to use your left hand! It's totally doable.

Maybe start oathing a little as a retraining. Your new nickname could be 'Sinister Serotonin'.

Thanks for the compliment and that's a great idea. I might just do the oath thing. Will have to start simple though.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Get well soon, Serotonin.

signalnoise posted:

parabolic posted:

Hi-Mock painting showcase would be pretty fun.

Silhouette posted:

Everyone paints a Ball
Also, seconding this. Either a Hi-Mock or a Ball would be a nice counterpoint to the ordeal of CrapTank. Haven't built a Ball except for the larger Master Grade kit, but the Hi-Mock is cheap, simple, and excellently made.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I'd be down for a Hi-Mock CrapTank contest.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Mantis posted:

Welp I haven't painted in 10 years, but I just ordered Imperial Assault and $100 of Vallejo/Rosemary & Co painting kit.

Thanks thread!
High five, we're in the same boat.
Paint just got here like 20 min ago, all my stuff's primed & ready to go. Debating if I have time to gently caress up some models before work.

And a small rant: how the gently caress does GW stay in business? I know, don't support GW, etc etc. but there's one like, a half-mile from me and I wanted Typhus Corrosion & Nuln Oil. So I tried to go Monday. They're closed Mondays, alright. I try to go yesterday. Door's locked and lights are off, although they have posted hours. Alright, I'm driving past again today around lunch time, I try to stop in. Oh, they're only open 2-7 today :wtc:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That's the miracle of their slim, efficient, "1-man store" policy in play, my friend.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Hauki posted:

High five, we're in the same boat.
Paint just got here like 20 min ago, all my stuff's primed & ready to go. Debating if I have time to gently caress up some models before work.

And a small rant: how the gently caress does GW stay in business? I know, don't support GW, etc etc. but there's one like, a half-mile from me and I wanted Typhus Corrosion & Nuln Oil. So I tried to go Monday. They're closed Mondays, alright. I try to go yesterday. Door's locked and lights are off, although they have posted hours. Alright, I'm driving past again today around lunch time, I try to stop in. Oh, they're only open 2-7 today :wtc:

Ilor posted:

That's the miracle of their slim, efficient, "1-man store" policy in play, my friend.

Well, it's good their helping people avoid giving them money to encourage their bad policies . :colbert:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Slimnoid posted:

I'd be down for a Hi-Mock CrapTank contest.

I'm down, that's 2

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ilor posted:

Haha, good lord. Why bother? The rent can't be worth it.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Business image. It makes the higher-ups feel more important, just like so many other choices GW makes. They see themselves as the curators of a luxury brand.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hauki posted:

Haha, good lord. Why bother? The rent can't be worth it.
It's not worth it - for the guy who's running the store. For every "core business hour" that he's closed, GW is basically fining him. So they're making their money whether he's open or closed. Why anyone signs on to run a GW store is completely beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

signalnoise posted:

I'm down, that's 2

3, of course. They're less than $10 shipped from Amazon!