Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sindai posted:

Speaking of 1.13 AE:

quote:

1.13 has been updated with a small hotfix to fix a math error that was resulting in unintentionally low levels of AE generation,
That would certainly explain a few things. Should make my new goal of trying Switzerlake more interesting.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I wonder how easy knocking out BBB would have been before the hot fix.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The BBB is like the toughest fungus on the planet. You can let France get down to just Paris and it will still come back with vengeance given time. Conquer france, culture change everything ASAP.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Chickpea Roar posted:

Is it even possible to escape to India since the change where you can't demand provinces you can't core?

Maybe if you vassalize a neighbouring nation? India is still rich as gently caress and with your technological advantage conquering it should be doable in a reasonable time, so if you can pull it off it's a solid plan. That's how I did it many patches ago.

I have no idea, I've never tried demanding uncorable land. I don't see Africa being an option like you said, the land is just plain awful. I'm looking for an achievement to do. I wonder if Hessian Mercenaries is tougher than it seems.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Node posted:

I have no idea, I've never tried demanding uncorable land. I don't see Africa being an option like you said, the land is just plain awful. I'm looking for an achievement to do. I wonder if Hessian Mercenaries is tougher than it seems.

Hessian. Mercenaries is "get medium size, open mercenary interface, mash face against keyboard and hope you get achievement before going bankrupt". Quite easily unless you wildly miscalculated and good practice for, say, Saxony or Lucca.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So there doesn't seem to have been any change to how rebels interact with the new fort system. Is there any way to mod how long rebels have to hold a province before they add 10 years of nationalism (I've got provinces in 1550 that will have nationalism until 1650 as a result of this bullshit, which realistically means they'll have nationalism until 1821 because there will be other nationalist uprisings)?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ulmont posted:

So there doesn't seem to have been any change to how rebels interact with the new fort system. Is there any way to mod how long rebels have to hold a province before they add 10 years of nationalism (I've got provinces in 1550 that will have nationalism until 1650 as a result of this bullshit, which realistically means they'll have nationalism until 1821 because there will be other nationalist uprisings)?

Religious rebels are even worse - they instantly convert provinces they capture.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

ulmont posted:

Provinces with forts or in a fort's area of influence won't get the sepratism or other negative effect until the fort itself falls. This makes countries like Ethiopia or Tunis much harder because you're not gonna afford full coverage until long after you don't need it, and as a Western power you basically don't need to worry about negative rebel effects.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

PittTheElder posted:

That would certainly explain a few things. Should make my new goal of trying Switzerlake more interesting.
It certainly explains why even its neighbors barely cared when I gobbled up a country (unless it was HRE).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Will Muscowy fight on my side or an Ryazans side ?

There is barely any information in this pop up and that upsets me a little bit, cause I don't want to pick a fight with muscowy at all

my only allies are the Teutonic Order, Bohemia, and my finnish Vassal and I don't even know if any of those would join me.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Muscovy would be in the PU under Ryazan during the war. But on the other hand, go big or go home, right?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
I'd rather stay home during this one and take Novgorod instead, thanks for the answer

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skipThings posted:

Will Muscowy fight on my side or an Ryazans side ?

There is barely any information in this pop up and that upsets me a little bit, cause I don't want to pick a fight with muscowy at all

my only allies are the Teutonic Order, Bohemia, and my finnish Vassal and I don't even know if any of those would join me.

Muscovy will fight on Ryazan's side. What has happened is Ryazan just PU'd Muscovy, and you must be rivaled to Muscovy as it usually calls in a nearby large rival to contest.

If you go to war you will be the aggressor, so you're probably right it'll be difficult to bring in your allies. War goal would be to hold their capital and if you won you could enforce a PU on Muscovy.

Probably better to just back down. Muscovy is going to rebel and fight for independence in short order, so on the plus side you've slowed them down a little.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Been a while since I played in Asia, so I started a Bahmanis game. Eating my way through India, I thought to myself hey, this isn't very challenging, looks like I'll be unbeatably huge soon.

Then I realized I'd left random lucky nations on. Ming is lucky. Oh boy.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Guildencrantz posted:

Been a while since I played in Asia, so I started a Bahmanis game. Eating my way through India, I thought to myself hey, this isn't very challenging, looks like I'll be unbeatably huge soon.

Then I realized I'd left random lucky nations on. Ming is lucky. Oh boy.

If you can survive until the 1830s, China starts to falter then. Increase production in your opium provinces in anticipation.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Muscovy will fight on Ryazan's side. What has happened is Ryazan just PU'd Muscovy, and you must be rivaled to Muscovy as it usually calls in a nearby large rival to contest.

If you go to war you will be the aggressor, so you're probably right it'll be difficult to bring in your allies. War goal would be to hold their capital and if you won you could enforce a PU on Muscovy.

Probably better to just back down. Muscovy is going to rebel and fight for independence in short order, so on the plus side you've slowed them down a little.

Go big or go home you pussy

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

Do this.

And remember you have to manually call your allies to arms in this case, they won't join automatically.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Larry Parrish posted:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

He's at like 7k manpower and Muscovy is going to be a rebellious lesser partner, certainly it's doable (he has a solid 17k army + 6k from Finland vassal) with a bunch of mercs to pad out his manpower, just depends on your longer term goals. PU'ing Muscovy is going to mean a lot of resources spent maintaining that PU.

Check their forcelimits, you need to be able to maintain close to as large a standing army as possible to Muscovy or if possible, larger.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agreeing with "Go big or go home". Muscovy in a PU would be amazing as Sweden.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

He's at like 7k manpower and Muscovy is going to be a rebellious lesser partner, certainly it's doable (he has a solid 17k army + 6k from Finland vassal) with a bunch of mercs to pad out his manpower, just depends on your longer term goals. PU'ing Muscovy is going to mean a lot of resources spent maintaining that PU.

Check their forcelimits, you need to be able to maintain close to as large a standing army as possible to Muscovy or if possible, larger.

Dont forget that you lose income and force limits when you lose your independence, that and +200 relations means that even vassal larger than you can be brought to heel.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dibujante posted:

If you can survive until the 1830s, China starts to falter then. Increase production in your opium provinces in anticipation.

Jokes aside, this is the opposite of what you want to do. Ming is rich as hell, and will build level 8 forts everywhere if given the chance. If you have any intention of biting off chunks of them, do it as soon as you think you possibly can.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 2, 2015

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

PittTheElder posted:

Jokes aside, this is the opposite of what you want to do. Ming is rich as hell, and will build level 8 forts everywhere if given the chance. If you have any intention of biting off chunks of them, do it as soon as you think you possibly can.

He's right. Even as end game WC Ottomans, Ming with max level forts is a bitch. They'll have a huge army and manpower reserve and even if you beat them, they'll be back again a few months later since you can't chase them. Sieges take forever, they get crazy defensive bonuses, and overall they are a huge pain. And that's western Ottomans with Janissaries and amazing leaders and an unlimited manpower pool and huge rear end army - if they're a pain to THAT, they're going to be a nightmare to someone else. Attack them as early as possible before they stack bonuses and get better and better forts.; any forts you take are a pretty big deal.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Dont forget that you lose income and force limits when you lose your independence, that and +200 relations means that even vassal larger than you can be brought to heel.

+200 relations is not an automatic loyal vassal anymore.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Struensee posted:

+200 relations is not an automatic loyal vassal anymore.

Can they declare war on you if they have +200 (net total) opinion of you? In my last attempt at 1001 provinces I had Persia under the Ottomans sit at 100% liberty desire for decades but they never declared war because they had a 190-200 opinion of me the entire time. This was in patch 1.12 though

They weren't loyal and didn't help me in any wars, but they didn't declare independence either, even when they occasionally had some idiot AI declare support for them.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
I'm fiddling with the zombie mod because I don't like the way it handles post-horde colonists. After they go through they leave an empty province of 'zombie religion'. Why doesn't this triggered modifier work?

zombie_colonist = {
potential = {
NOT = { tag = ZOM }
}

trigger = {
if = { any_empty_neighbor_province = { religion = r_zombie }
}
}
colonists = 1
}

It appears in the modifier list but with 0/0 triggers. It just gives a free colonist to every country.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

OneTwentySix posted:

He's right. Even as end game WC Ottomans, Ming with max level forts is a bitch. They'll have a huge army and manpower reserve and even if you beat them, they'll be back again a few months later since you can't chase them. Sieges take forever, they get crazy defensive bonuses, and overall they are a huge pain. And that's western Ottomans with Janissaries and amazing leaders and an unlimited manpower pool and huge rear end army - if they're a pain to THAT, they're going to be a nightmare to someone else. Attack them as early as possible before they stack bonuses and get better and better forts.; any forts you take are a pretty big deal.

Well gently caress. :smith:

Here's the situation in Asia:

Gondwana and Marwar are my vassals. To get to China, I'd have to backstab Bengal, my only ally, which isn't that huge a deal - all of my neighbors are smaller than me and behind on miltech and I've been wiping the floor with them even when they team up. Ming, however, has been blobbing hard and has almost twice my forcelimits. The Euros have shown no interest in rounding the Cape so far, so it'll be a long while before I can westernize.

Do I start working on Bengal ASAP or subjugate the northwestern states first? Suggestions?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Well gently caress. :smith:

Here's the situation in Asia:

Gondwana and Marwar are my vassals. To get to China, I'd have to backstab Bengal, my only ally, which isn't that huge a deal - all of my neighbors are smaller than me and behind on miltech and I've been wiping the floor with them even when they team up. Ming, however, has been blobbing hard and has almost twice my forcelimits. The Euros have shown no interest in rounding the Cape so far, so it'll be a long while before I can westernize.

Do I start working on Bengal ASAP or subjugate the northwestern states first? Suggestions?

Do you have expansion or exploration?

1) It will help you westernize a lot faster if you can meet Portugal or Castile in Africa instead of India

2) There's a lot of great trade you can steer into India from Indonesia

3) You'd be able to colonize Taiwan and mount your offensives from there while making Ming have to either beat you at sea, or walk all the way through Bengal just to touch you

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been away from EU4 for quite a while and I'm going to jump back in - what are the current strategies for monarch point management? Especially when it comes to conquering new territory, and especially within the HRE? Beeline for administration? Or go for Influence and vassal-feed to the max?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

double nine posted:

I've been away from EU4 for quite a while and I'm going to jump back in - what are the current strategies for monarch point management? Especially when it comes to conquering new territory, and especially within the HRE? Beeline for administration? Or go for Influence and vassal-feed to the max?

Either is a legitimate option, they save you the same amount of MP, but from different pools. Strict land powers that have little use for diplo points are definitely better off vassal-feeding. If you want to blob hard, you need a mix of both. Within the HRE, though, the major limiting factor is actually AE, and there you mostly want to vassalize small, one- or two-province minors and feed them chunks of bigger countries by transferring occupations in war. (Vassalizing a big HRE state means shitloads of AE in one go)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

My first two ideas are usually influence and humanity. Influence for vassal feeding and humanity to reduce rebels. With the increased war exhaustion I've been tempted to go innovative instead of humanity though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a way to know how much AE forcing a PU will grant?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a way to know how much AE forcing a PU will grant?

0.1 base AE/development without factoring in the new 1.13 adjustments for country size. So it is lower for large countries, for example if you take 1444 size france as 1444 size england you get ~0.07 base AE/development.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

Keep in mind that if you're straight conquering HRE territory, you need to do so slowly and ideally have an alliance and good relations with the Emperor to avoid Unlawful Territory demands. There is a stacking opinion penalty both for Unlawful Territory and annexing HRE vassals, and as has been mentioned AE is often more of a limiting factor than points to core/integrate when expanding in the HRE. I would say Influence is a definite must-buy, probably as your first group and try to get some good sized allies to help you dogpile and vassalize a neighbor to start. For example vassalizing Pomerania as Brandenburg.

Then I'd take either Admin or Humanist for your first ADM idea set. Since your HRE expansion is going to be limited mainly by waiting for AE and opinion penalties to decay rather than points, Admin won't necessarily save you a lot of coring points. If you're able to expand outside of the HRE it would be more attractive, also if you have a decent income because the other main benefit of going Admin early on is padding out your manpower with cheaper mercs. Humanist makes for a lot fewer revolts, easier Reformation, you'll still save some points from the idea discount, and the Better Relations is very nice in the HRE. Really it comes down to whether you are staying mostly internal to the HRE or also pushing outward.

One important recent change was to the AI calculation for accepting Unlawful Territory demands-- they'll accept it quite often if they don't have a claim or a strong desire to hold the province. That means if you hand HRE provinces to vassals in wars, they are likely to return some of the provinces to the Emperor.

Edit: oh and also Italy leaves the HRE in 1490 unless the Papal State and Venice are integrated into it which the AI never does.

Let us know what nation(s) you decide to play and the thread can give you more specific advice

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On the other hand if an HRE nation's too big for its britches you can declare war, bring a nearby ally in, transfer occupation to them and after the war if they cede unlawful territory then presto, big nation gets disassembled for no diplo/AE cost on your part.

If they don't cede territory then, uh, you have a bigger ally?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

A White Guy posted:

The BBB is like the toughest fungus on the planet. You can let France get down to just Paris and it will still come back with vengeance given time. Conquer france, culture change everything ASAP.

The year is 1595, and historical lucky nations are on. I am playing Switzerland, and had nothing to do with that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

The year is 1595, and historical lucky nations are on. I am playing Switzerland, and had nothing to do with that.

It's rare but it's so awesome when you see it. I also once saw England get invaded when they tried to jump France for their core on Armagnac or whatever. France made them release Meath, Northumbria, Cornwall and Wales. Then Scotland conquered a strip of land and allied all of England's neighboring rump states. It's a shame nothing like that can really happen to Castile because the unreleased nations are too small.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When you successfully enforce peace, do you get trust with anyone else besides the nation you helped? I'm checking my trust with other nations by looking at the Offer Vassalization option, but I'm not able to clearly tell if it does or not.

That is one minor thing I'd like to see added, an easier way to view a nation's trust instead of having to look at Offer Vassalization, or open the declare war screen and look at it there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Node posted:

That is one minor thing I'd like to see added, an easier way to view a nation's trust instead of having to look at Offer Vassalization, or open the declare war screen and look at it there.

According to Arumba, Wiz is working to make trust more transparent to the player. He mentioned it in one of his Tac Team episodes in the last couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it still possible to blob up a bit in the Low Countries as one of the minors under Burgundy by declaring for independence and then taking land instead of freedom? If so, is it worthwhile to take Exploration first or is that better held off until second because of naval tech needing to catch up?

Larry Parrish posted:

It's a shame nothing like that can really happen to Castile because the unreleased nations are too small.
Castille always annoys the poo poo out of me because of that. Galicia is an OPM and Leon only gets 4 mediocre provinces. Castillian is their Primary Culture and Andalucian does not get a cultural country (at least not in the early game) because Grenada shenanigans.

• Locked thread