Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I remember blowing that thing up in Dark Forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

blugu64 posted:

Van art is the last honest form of artistic expression. :colbert:

There's always porta potty and truckstop bathroom graffiti

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dick Trauma posted:

While I was looking for something appropriate I found this non-architectural image that captures 1978 pretty well.

I want this image painted on a van.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

That may not be architecture, but that image is slick as gently caress.
Suddenly I am curious as to what would happen if Gehry tried to design a van.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Skeleton King posted:

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Nah, too functional.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

With a bit of

and perhaps

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Blistex posted:

I remember blowing that thing up in Dark Forces.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked like a spaceship.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Have we had Les Orgues de Flandre in here yet? Because that is a collection of real oddballs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Trauma posted:

Have we had Les Orgues de Flandre in here yet? Because that is a collection of real oddballs.

These folks are living in the future.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Oh hey the London Death Ray is finished and it's won it's first award, Building Design Magazine's Carbuncle Cup, for the worst building of the year http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2015/sep/02/walkie-talkie-london-wins-carbuncle-cup-worst-building-of-year

Guardian posted:

Responsible for a catalogue of catastrophes, it is hard to imagine a building causing more damage if it tried. It stands at 20 Fenchurch Street, way outside the city’s planned “cluster” of high-rise towers, on a site never intended for a tall building. It looms thuggishly over its low-rise neighbours like a broad-shouldered banker in a cheap pinstriped suit. And it gets fatter as it rises, to make bigger floors at the more lucrative upper levels, forming a literal diagram of greed.

“The building with more up top,” trumpets the marketing material – but it is others who must live with its overbearing bulk, which now lumbers into views across London from practically every angle. From the South Bank, it squats straight ahead like a misplaced pint glass, blotting out its elegant neighbours. From further east, its silhouette is reminiscent of a sanitary towel, flapping behind Tower Bridge. The headquarters of the Royal Institute of Town Planners stands two streets away. “It’s a daily reminder,” sighs one employee, “never to let such a planning disaster ever happen again.”

The building was crowned with a Sky Garden, a babylonian jungle in the clouds that would be the pride of the Square Mile, framed as not just a place for bankers to drink, but a public space accessible to all. The reality is anything but. If you book three days in advance, or reserve a table at one of the overpriced dining concepts, you can go through airport-style security and be treated to a meagre pair of rockeries, in a space designed with all the finesse of a departure lounge. A hefty cage of steelwork wraps around in all directions, obscuring much of the view, while the restaurants rise up in a boxy stack of glass portable cabins. The more you pay, the worse the view gets: at the very top of the gourmet ziggurat, you’re as far from the windows as possible.

The planners have since raised concerns that what has been built doesn’t match the approved plans, but the underwhelming roof terrace is the least of the Walkie Talkie’s problems. Before it was even open, it was found that its south-facing concave glass facade channelled the sun’s rays into a deadly beam of heat, capable of melting the bumper of a Jaguar, blistering painted shopfronts and singeing carpets – with temperatures hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement.

Still, not content with burning people, the Walkie Talkie started blowing them away. The building was found to have a rather embarrassing wind problem after the downdraft caused by the 37-storey tower was accused of almost blowing pedestrians into the road and whisking food trolleys away this summer. The phenomenon has prompted the planners to introduce tougher guidelines and insist on independent wind studies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRNO8xcrgU

Good job everyone!

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Jim Waterson there showing off the journalistic skill which netted him his new job at Buzzfeed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AxeBreaker posted:

https://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/nevada/lasvegas/gehry/brain.html

Not sure if this has been done, but even if it has, god it's awful.

lol it was built after this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p6rrn-PimU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

That;s actaully kinda cool gently caress you pise of chsit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gehry did actually lead a project to design a concept car of the future

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MikeJF posted:

I don't want to live in a future where something like that is the norm.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if the idea is that it's the future's idea of a concept car, then that might make sense

you can totally believe it's by gehry because it looks like a normal item coveres in paper or gum, in this case a mouse

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 2, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Dick Trauma posted:

These don't bother me too much.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MikeJF posted:

Sweet gamer mouse

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

SilverSoldat posted:

The now closed World of Darkness at the Bronx Zoo in NYC was a hideous concrete fortress, but the bats it contained were always awesome.

There aren't very many good pictures of it on the internet.

My family visited that zoo almost every month when I was a kid. I loving loved that place. Neat colored lighting, nocturnal animals just hanging out, replica caves and rain forests, cute bats, scorpion exhibits with UV lights you could turn on to make them glow in the dark, a cut-away naked mole rat colony, the works. God, that exhibit. :allears:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

It is. :3:

But so is this:

Why were the 1970's so obsessed with brown, orange, and yellow? Such an odd color combination to become trendy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plethora posted:

Why were the 1970's so obsessed with brown, orange, and yellow? Such an odd color combination to become trendy.

1) They weren't
2) They look so good :mmmhmm:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

These don't bother me too much.

Yeah, I could imagine living there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, I could imagine living there.

In fact, it seems like a perfectly logical development of city development (moreso than glass shitscrapers); use more vertical space, preserve ground space, provide shade when global warming dooms us all.

It would also be pretty good for making larger Roof Gardens.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Plethora posted:

They were obsessed with all saturated colors. I think it's why pastels did so well in the 1980s.

People remember "signature" colors from that time because they were common on household items like fridges and telephones. Harvest Gold, Avocado Green, etc. Any color could be used on any product, in combination with any other color. Or pattern! Or texture!

There was plenty of nice design in the 1970s but much of it was drowned out by all the horrible bullshit. There were some gorgeous and classy interiors that showcased the glass/chrome/wood/leather approach and although they'd look dated today they wouldn't look atrocious.

EDIT: Jesus christ. :dawkins101:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 2, 2015

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Phanatic posted:

Dear Lord. Only way that could be more of a prescription for disaster is if you had an Egyptian company in there.

The only reason the enterprise CUSA is included there is because the family of the Administrator of the Panama Canal owns it. What conflict of interest do you mean?

Hey gringos, please send Martinelli back to us. Whole or in small little pieces, we don't care.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This is the Futuro, the coolest cabin ever and I would so live in one! Presented first in 1968, it came in baby blue, yellow or white.
Note the outside door opens up as stairs.

It was designed to be a ski cabin that could be constructed and heated as quickly as possible. It was made of fiberglass-reinforced plastic (plastic being the cheap, durable material of the future). Delivered in prefabricated pieces, you could easily put one up in hard-to-travel terrain in just a few days, or even air-drop a completed one on a helicopter.

So why was it a failure? Well, for one, the price was too steep. The price of oil jumped in 1973 and tripled the price of plastic.
That, and there was really very little usable space inside one because of the shape. The plastic would scratch up something fierce.
No storage really, and hardly any room to move. The chairs would pull down to be beds during the night:

The kitchen was small. Yes, this is the kitchen.

Every one came with a fireplace/bbq spot in the middle.

People also protested on the building of these "unnatural" ufo's into their lovely untouched woods. The design was too eccentric to really break into mass market.
The license to build them got sold to 25 countries, only 10 of which actually built any. Less than a hundred of these cabins ever got made and production ended in 1978.

I would still pay any price to live in that.

ok i know this is way way way many pages back but! there's one available to rent in deep behind the pine curtain in northern wisconsin: http://www.podupnorth.com

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.gizmag.com/skylodge-adventure-suites/38367/

quote:

Installed in 2013, the capsule-style aluminum and polycarbonate suites are located on a cliff face in Peru's Sacred Valley, and are reached by making a 400-m (1,312-ft) vertical climb up a steel ladder embedded in the rock – there are stretches where guests must also traverse the cliff horizontally.

Each 24 x 8-foot (7.3 x 2.4-m) suite features four beds, a dining area, solar-powered lighting and a private bathroom. In order to stave off the claustrophobia, there's also an open-air seating platform on top of each capsule.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 5, 2015

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

drat NIGGA posted:

It's always been my home and I love it here, but L.A.'s skyline is pretty 80's. It looks like Oklahoma city or some other midwest city.

So we put this building up.

Greenland's Metropolis development is going to be pretty modern.

Paddyb posted:

This is rad as gently caress.

Ahem, I mean I love the interplay of solid and void, of light and dark, of man and nature.

:golfclap:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Oh hey the London Death Ray is finished and it's won it's first award, Building Design Magazine's Carbuncle Cup, for the worst building of the year http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2015/sep/02/walkie-talkie-london-wins-carbuncle-cup-worst-building-of-year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRNO8xcrgU

Good job everyone!

This building is a really great example of why wind tunnel studies are important.

Hermsgervørden posted:

The only thing Liebeskind does well is stairs, that's all he should be allowed to do from now on.

This is in the German Jewish Museum in Berlin, and it's otherworldly to stand on the top step.

I love the central stair in Denver. They had some great exhibits when I was there and I came away with a great impression of the museum.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Has anyone made "falling off a cliff in a sealed container" an extreme entertainment ride yet?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

toanoradian posted:

Has anyone made "falling off a cliff in a sealed container" an extreme entertainment ride yet?
Sure. Nckdictator posted about one upthread a bit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

An apartment building in nearby Imabari.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Search "バブル 建物" and "ださい 建物"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

peanut posted:

Search "バブル 建物" and "ださい 建物"

I have no idea what it is, but this building looks brilliant:

Although the total lack of windows might make it a bit of a lovely place to work.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

dr_rat posted:

Although the total lack of windows might make it a bit of a lovely place to work.

I don't know, what you lose in ambient light you gain in being able to ritually sacrifice your coworkers on the rooftop.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

dr_rat posted:

I'm going with themed restaurant here

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

I'm going with themed restaurant here

Ding ding.

"Sapporo Kingumu Dance Hall & Bar-currently closed."

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/f10l5vst/9799774.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dr_rat posted:

e: oh my pun didn't actually work because I remembered the idiom wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tochiazuma posted:

"Sapporo Kingumu Dance Hall & Bar-currently closed."

They found out too late that even in Japan, serving freshly ripped-out human hearts is not OK.

• Locked thread