Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It would be good for a lot of reasons if demo had at least one weapon which wasn't single shot.

On the upside, firebug is lots of fun. I think it hits a pretty good sweet spot in terms of balance, it's very satisfying to play, the works. I'm not a huge fan of the C&B but as soon as I get a trench gun - which doesn't take long - it's not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Psion posted:

It would be good for a lot of reasons if demo had at least one weapon which wasn't single shot.

On the upside, firebug is lots of fun. I think it hits a pretty good sweet spot in terms of balance, it's very satisfying to play, the works. I'm not a huge fan of the C&B but as soon as I get a trench gun - which doesn't take long - it's not an issue.

They could do a FRAG12 Armsel Striker, maybe a Horzine XM25 along with the old MGL.

There is also comedy option RGA-86

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Lemon Curdistan posted:

As a general PSA to everyone: :siren::siren::siren: BUY A MEDIC PISTOL :siren::siren::siren:

It's one weight unit for the ability to heal teammates at range, there's basically no reason not to have one on you at all times past wave 1.

Is it generally better for a firebug to forgo getting another on-perk weapon in favor of a medic pistol? With the microwave gun being 9 weight and the Trench Gun/Caulk Gun being 6 weight, you can't have two perk weapons and have a medic pistol at the same time.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Demo should get a China Lake with buckshot rounds. Minces everything below a scrake from a good distance.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Is it generally better for a firebug to forgo getting another on-perk weapon in favor of a medic pistol? With the microwave gun being 9 weight and the Trench Gun/Caulk Gun being 6 weight, you can't have two perk weapons and have a medic pistol at the same time.

for me, firebug is the only class where I don't take a medpistol because of exactly that - microwave/trench is too good to pass up. But every other class can fit one in pretty easily so the advice is still completely correct overall.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Will your team get more use out of you having a trench gun alongside the microwave gun and everyone dying because you couldn't clutch heal the guy being focused by FPs/scrakes in later waves and the entire team collapsed in on itself, or will your team get more use out of you having to use a shittier gun alongside the microwave gun and the team not wiping? :v:

There are some cases where you can get away with it (i.e. the team has a medic and everyone else has one and collectively doesn't suck), but otherwise you should probably just carry something off-perk.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Will your team get more use out of you having a trench gun alongside the microwave gun and everyone dying because you couldn't clutch heal the guy being focused by FPs/scrakes in later waves and the entire team collapsed in on itself, or will your team get more use out of you having to use a shittier gun alongside the microwave gun and the team not wiping? :v:

There are some cases where you can get away with it (i.e. the team has a medic and everyone else has one and collectively doesn't suck), but otherwise you should probably just carry something off-perk.

I think you're being over dramatic

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Me using that trench gun for killing my share of 150 trash zeds busy clawing at the ankles of my team demo who's trying to rocket those FPs is probably doing more for their overall survivability than one extra medpistol; it's not that clear cut.

any class that can easily fit one - which is five of six - should. Firebug is an exception, not the rule.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psion posted:

Hans' melee strikes should not take off 60 health, wounded status should not slow you down the way it does.

It's made worse by the combination: Hans hits you once, you're slow, you're now dead because you can't avoid strike number two. It prevents clutch saves (which are awesome) and it makes Hans' ridiculous melee even more powerful in context because one 60 hp strike essentially ends up being a player dying more often than not - and usually more often than not before the medic's darts can even travel from gun to player. Or even in non-Hans situations, the low health just means taking 50 damage is taking all the damage. What's the point of even having hitpoint values below 50 if they end up meaning almost nothing?

and with the health scaling he gets - which I also think is too high - it turns a 6 man suicidal into a drawn out, unfun slog of a bossfight which usually results in him just deciding to charge you faster than you can run, melee you so you're crippled, and then kill you. Repeat x6.

when Hans with 3-4 is both a more balanced fight and a more fun fight, something is hosed up.

ALSO: how can this game not keep track of ammo counts correctly? How in the gently caress is it still a bug that I will lose ammo at random times right in front of my eyes for having the raw nerve to, you know, pick up a weapon?

Yeah, Hans needs a lot of tuning. I understand the Dev frustration that a single guy taking 30 minutes can carefully kite him to death so they want Hans to have a huge spike damage to gently caress that single guy up. But the thing is the community doesn't want a boss that takes 30 minutes for the last survivor to kite because that's boring and frustrating for us. Especially when everyone had him under control except for his bullshit melee charge. Beating Hans shouldn't come down to a flowchart of "Do you have a zerker who can parry and Hans decides to attack him?" -> "Do you have a commando or medic who can kite forever and a book to read while he does it?" -> "Are you lucky?"

I think Hans's gas attack was a little over-nerfed (while I avoid it I have no fear of running through it now) and his melee attack was over-buffed. Meanwhile I know that pulling out a melee weapon and just holding down the block button does wonders for reducing HP but by the time I recognize that Hans is running for me, and have pulled out my scalpel Hans has likely already taken at least one swing (I really feel the backup knife's draw should be a lot faster by the way). And then once he's done with his first combo Hans's AI goes "Oh, there's a player within 5 meters, better melee attack!" more often than not, which repeats until the blocking player is dead.

Either Tripwire has to get used to having a boss that most teams can deal with 90% of the time or find some more clever way to buff him. Dying to an AI enemy who basically decided "this player dies!" and uses a nearly instant death attack is kinda bullshit and unfun. Dying almost any other way (generally due to a player fuckup) is part of the game and is can be fun in a way, dying to Hans's melee is bullshit and not fun ever.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What would you suggest for filling those last 5 weight points? Or do you think a firebug should just go ahead and get a Medic SMG/Dual 9mm instead of the pistol and roll with 14/15?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
One of the shotguns would probably be best to help against FPs.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
What exactly makes the microwave gun good? Like I know it's good but the stats sheet says it does less damage than the flamethrower and has less penetration? Does it just have really high focused DPS or is the microwave burst an amazing trash clearer? I haven't had much time to play Firebug yet and while it certainly Works, I haven't pinned down its strong points other than "it kills things pretty good". I also haven't touched the microwave burst.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alkydere posted:

I think Hans's gas attack was a little over-nerfed (while I avoid it I have no fear of running through it now) and his melee attack was over-buffed. Meanwhile I know that pulling out a melee weapon and just holding down the block button does wonders for reducing HP but by the time I recognize that Hans is running for me, and have pulled out my scalpel Hans has likely already taken at least one swing (I really feel the backup knife's draw should be a lot faster by the way). And then once he's done with his first combo Hans's AI goes "Oh, there's a player within 5 meters, better melee attack!" more often than not, which repeats until the blocking player is dead.

Either Tripwire has to get used to having a boss that most teams can deal with 90% of the time or find some more clever way to buff him. Dying to an AI enemy who basically decided "this player dies!" and uses a nearly instant death attack is kinda bullshit and unfun. Dying almost any other way (generally due to a player fuckup) is part of the game and is can be fun in a way, dying to Hans's melee is bullshit and not fun ever.

:agreed: to both paragraphs

I would start with toning down his melee strikes and charge speed and slightly buffing gas and guns. His guns used to be loving insane so let's not go back to that obviously but a small boost to both that and the gas damage should make those more threatening without being bullshit and toning down his melee strikes should prevent the stupid "you are at 100 health oh wait now you're below 50 oh wait now you are dead in 0.2 seconds" scenarios.

I'm hoping minor tuning changes like this aren't going to require some enormous outlay of time at TWI because tweaking a couple small things every week (or whatever) is actually good at rapidly dialing in on where balance should be. Worked wonders for Mass Effect 3 MP for example, they just changed a tuning file and called it good. Rapid iterations on small stuff combined with less frequent content updates is a really good combination for the player.

Metrohunter posted:

What exactly makes the microwave gun good? Like I know it's good but the stats sheet says it does less damage than the flamethrower and has less penetration? Does it just have really high focused DPS or is the microwave burst an amazing trash clearer? I haven't had much time to play Firebug yet and while it certainly Works, I haven't pinned down its strong points other than "it kills things pretty good". I also haven't touched the microwave burst.

as far as I know those stats are all complete lies so ignore them entirely and just go for how it feels to you. But definitely do use the burst. It's short range but it does good damage, has AOE pushback, and is great. Also microwaves absolutely destroy scrakes. Not so great against pounds though.

if you're surrounded or if you're holding a chokepoint or something a quick secondary blast does wonders.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 2, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, Hans needs a lot of tuning.

Echoing this. The melee attacks are out of control. If there were more space between them, or if Hans weren't so fast, maybe it would be more manageable. But as it stands, Hans can absolutely decimate someone with two or three melee attacks in the space of a couple seconds.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Metrohunter posted:

1: The stat sheet is kinda wrong, because it does a unique damage type, Microwave Damage, that absolutely destroys almost everything. Bloats are fairly resistant to it but everything else dies horribly fast. Scrakes are actually extremely weak to microwaves, and at least on 6-man Normal difficulty, you can kill a scrake in roughly 30 microwave ammo.

2: The RoF on the Microwave Gun is extremely fast and you can clear clots with a couple taps of the button, using up only 5-8 ammo to kill any size group of clots, slashers, and gorefasts instantly. The piercing value on the sheet should honestly read "infinity" because I've never seen the gun not shoot to its full range.

3: The microwave burst is incredibly useful, pushing back anything hit by it. They'll go flying 3-10 feet, depending on how airborn and how light they are, but even a fleshpound and a scrake will go back a good 3-5 feet with each burst. The blast doesn't interrupt their animations at all, either, so an attack scrake will suddenly be attacking empty air. The microwave gun lets you keep a scrake or pounder busy for as long as you still have ammo, as a result.

4: The microwave burst still does damage, it seems to be roughly equal to 5 ammo's worth of damage while using up 10 ammo for utility. So it's a very good panic button all around.

5: The Microwave Burst is the only thing that can push Hans, other than staggering him with the Pulverizer or RPG rockets. If Hans is pinning an ally in the corner, or pinning you in a corner, repeated use of the burst will save your life.

#1 and #2 are the main things that make it good, but the burst is what gives it the utility to be possibly the best gun in the game right now. It definitely gives the AA12 a good run for its money.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
Movement penalty while wounded- this was a bad idea in KF1, and it's a bad idea in KF2. It creates a positive feedback loop where you get gnawed to death by enemies that you're too slow to escape. Players should be penalized for mistakes in ways that don't mechanically force them into making further mistakes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Questioner you'd make my day if you could get the audio people to add the wwise project to the sdk download, would make sound/music modding much easier for everyone.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
During the PAX panel Tripwire said that the Microwave swelling effect was created during early development where they just swelled up a clot before they had a bloat model in-game, then they thought that they needed to find a way to use the effect.

The majority of the community questions during the panel were about stuff that hadn't even been revealed yet and Tripwire obviously couldn't comment on, but their answer to a question about having multiple bosses was simply "You won't be disappointed."

They also talked a little bit about the workshop support they have coming. They'll be doing a curated workshop for cosmetics like TF2 with the community voting on what makes it to the game and creators getting a cut of profits. At the time they mentioned character cosmetics like masks along with weapon skins. I also talked with one of the developers after the panel about the weapon skins and they should stick with the weapon, so if you toss someone a weapon they'll see your skin, and people will have a hard time lying about picking up your weapon when they have your bright yellow AA12.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kamikaze Raider posted:

What would you suggest for filling those last 5 weight points? Or do you think a firebug should just go ahead and get a Medic SMG/Dual 9mm instead of the pistol and roll with 14/15?

C4 man! Microwave Scrakes, C4 Pounds, heal team with medic SMG.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Post-patch these are my experiences with Hans on Normal and Hard as I haven't ventured further with my low level Demo(7)/Firebug(8) perks:

Normal is quite easy and I don't think I've seen a single wipe to him on this difficulty. You can pretty much ignore his gas grenades and you don't even have to think too carefully about where you are fighting him as long as you can get out of his LoS when he shoots, the only threat on Normal is his melee attacks which still do a fair bit of damage but in my experience FPs kill more people on Normal than Hans does.

Hard is a different story entirely and even with a group of pretty high level perks where people actually heal it's never a sure thing that you're gonna take him down. Only beaten him 2-3 times and I was only alive to see him die once. Switched to Hard on level 5 of both perks for reference.

My point is that it's maybe a slightly too big step up in difficulty from Normal to Hard, but only on the Hans fight - the regular waves seem fine on Hard.

Ok that's my story :)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Martout posted:

Post-patch these are my experiences with Hans on Normal and Hard as I haven't ventured further with my low level Demo(7)/Firebug(8) perks:

Normal is quite easy and I don't think I've seen a single wipe to him on this difficulty. You can pretty much ignore his gas grenades and you don't even have to think too carefully about where you are fighting him as long as you can get out of his LoS when he shoots, the only threat on Normal is his melee attacks which still do a fair bit of damage but in my experience FPs kill more people on Normal than Hans does.

Hard is a different story entirely and even with a group of pretty high level perks where people actually heal it's never a sure thing that you're gonna take him down. Only beaten him 2-3 times and I was only alive to see him die once. Switched to Hard on level 5 of both perks for reference.

My point is that it's maybe a slightly too big step up in difficulty from Normal to Hard, but only on the Hans fight - the regular waves seem fine on Hard.

Ok that's my story :)

Try suicidal. Hans is EVEN MORE FUN, if you can believe it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Maybe halve Hans melee damage, but have his melee hits impart bile damage DoT. Still do the same damage, but you could more effectively attend to someone he is pinning/not immediately get annihilated, and make the Zerker more overall resistant to the melee.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So I finally caved in now that they added Firebug to the game, but to my suprise I've been having a lot of fun with Support so far. The shotguns are just so satisfying. I'm nearing lvl 5 on it and thinking about moving to Hard since Normal has been a cakewalk so far, any tips?

I tried to join the goon servers too, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I opened the console, pasted the commands but then nothing happens.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Zernach posted:

So I finally caved in now that they added Firebug to the game, but to my suprise I've been having a lot of fun with Support so far. The shotguns are just so satisfying. I'm nearing lvl 5 on it and thinking about moving to Hard since Normal has been a cakewalk so far, any tips?

I tried to join the goon servers too, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I opened the console, pasted the commands but then nothing happens.

Same here

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Zernach posted:

Goon servers probably aren't maintained. People are basically never in the group chat either, so you probably just want to try friending random goons who play and seeing if they'll play with you.

The jump to hard isn't really that bad, I don't think. Everything has a bit more health, which is most obvious in that you can't one-shot clots with your 9mm. Enemies are also slightly more aggressive. Just do it, you'll figure out how to handle it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Hard is the same difficulty level that was Normal in KF1, in my opinion, and Normal is the new Easy. I level up new perks starting in Hard, personally, though I occasionally get vote kicked by pubs for being too low level (lol).

Edited to Normal - > Easy

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 3, 2015

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hard is the same difficulty level that was Normal in KF1, in my opinion, and Hard is the new Normal. I level up new perks starting in Hard, personally, though I occasionally get vote kicked by pubs for being too low level (lol).

:ssh:

Nobody likes being told they're playing on easy.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Yeah KF1 normal was way more punishing, was mostly comparing pre-patch Hans to post-patch Hans :)

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Try suicidal. Hans is EVEN MORE FUN, if you can believe it.

I did a few Suicidal and HoE games on my zerker and the names of all the difficulties are apt, let's just say :)

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=511254694

Ran into a weird bug today where I had the spectator hud stuck even after I respawned the next wave.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What levels do you guys start venturing into Suicidal and HoE at? I wait until 10 or 15 for Suicidal, and stay there most of the time, but I feel comfortable in HoE no earlier than 20. The 20 perks are good enough to make the difference, IMO.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What levels do you guys start venturing into Suicidal and HoE at? I wait until 10 or 15 for Suicidal, and stay there most of the time, but I feel comfortable in HoE no earlier than 20. The 20 perks are good enough to make the difference, IMO.

Definitely 10-15. Some guy said he did Suicidal at 7 and it was a mostly fun time.

But I'm gonna wait until I get a perk to 10 to try Suicidal.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

counterpoint: i use the weapons that i think are fun

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've found it fun to just boot up solo Suicidal/HoE and just see how far I can get on my low level perks. It's really fun and you get XP fast in your really brief life. Plus as you adjust to the really quick zeds you'll find yourself having an easier time on Normal and Hard where the zeds suddenly feel like they're moving in slow motion.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I hate to be that guy asking for tech support in the thread but my google-fu is failing me.

Ever since opting into the beta Killing Floor crashes on launch- I just get the bug report dialogue box.

I restarted my computer
opted back out of the beta
updated my drivers
verified game cache
set killing floor to run as admin
tried opting back in/out of the beta several times
deleted all local content and reinstalled

Same thing happens every time I launch the game. It always ran perfectly fine before the beta launched. Any ideas? I'm desperate to get in and kill me some zeds.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
You may want to look into My Documents\My Games\Killing Floor 2\.

Maybe one of the configuration files there got corrupted somehow. Unless you use the SDK I think you can just wipe the folder completely and all you'll lose is your configuration and key binds.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Blisster posted:

I hate to be that guy asking for tech support in the thread but my google-fu is failing me.

Ever since opting into the beta Killing Floor crashes on launch- I just get the bug report dialogue box.

I restarted my computer
opted back out of the beta
updated my drivers
verified game cache
set killing floor to run as admin
tried opting back in/out of the beta several times
deleted all local content and reinstalled

Same thing happens every time I launch the game. It always ran perfectly fine before the beta launched. Any ideas? I'm desperate to get in and kill me some zeds.

What beta are you opting in and out of? I don't see any betas in the beta tab.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The KF2 beta that just ended. Is this a trick question?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
since it ended you can't really opt in/out of it anymore

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Since the Microwave Gun is so high-tech, the sight should have a rangefinder function - I'd be thrilled if it simply put a little dot on the ground at max range when zoomed in. Maybe a second dot for the blast range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gromit posted:

The KF2 beta that just ended. Is this a trick question?

The beta branch doesn't exist any more, you can't opt in to it and everyone got automatically opted out.