Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

havenwaters posted:

Dragon Grampa 1.5. Man didn't expect to see this playthrough.

Wait is a video up? Youtubes just showing the podcast stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait is a video up? Youtubes just showing the podcast stuff.

It's only on the website right now. Not sure if it'll only be on the website period or what. http://superbestfriendsplay.com/video/best-friends-play-danganronpa-ultra-despair-girls-part-01/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

havenwaters posted:

It's only on the website right now. Not sure if it'll only be on the website period or what. http://superbestfriendsplay.com/video/best-friends-play-danganronpa-ultra-despair-girls-part-01/

Oh.

Oh

Yeah I wonder if this is blind, otherwise what the hell are the two planning on doing when the main character gets tied to a bored and gets molested while a little girl talks about getting raped

I don't see this going very well.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 2, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I forget this game was coming out. I've liked the other Dangan Ronpa games, but with MGS5 out maybe watching this LP will be the best way to see it at the moment.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Liam and Matt sure do a lot of complaining that Nuts & Bolts isn't like a traditional Banjo game considering neither of them are big Banjo fans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Liam 100%ed Banjo Kazooie recently, I don't know if I'd say he's not a "big banjo fan". That said, it was pretty obnoxious that they spent a fairly good chunk of time on N&B and then pretty much refused to use its primary mechanic in favor of clumsily platforming up some crates. I'd love to see what sort of things Liam could make in the vehicle creator, because you can make some really crazy poo poo in there. I believe someone posted the anti-gravity bouncing machine thing in this thread earlier. It doesn't seem to be on youtube anymore but there was a clip from an old Giant Bomb thursday night throwdown where Brad ran a multiplayer server and you got to see all sorts of crazy builds people made, including the requisite giant flying rocket-powered flamethrowing penis vehicle, a tie fighter, a Recognizer, etc.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The podcast is up: SBFC 108: Muckspreading All Over The Place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtYi9YQam0

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Liam 100%ed Banjo Kazooie recently, I don't know if I'd say he's not a "big banjo fan". That said, it was pretty obnoxious that they spent a fairly good chunk of time on N&B and then pretty much refused to use its primary mechanic in favor of clumsily platforming up some crates.

It's a bit in the same vein of Rare refusing to use the series' primary mechanics in favor of of something nobody actually wanted.

(N&B isn't a bad game but it is a terrible B&K game)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When Metal Gear Solid wasn't another 2D game, did you say the same thing?

A series changing mechanics isn't a bad thing. Now, if they hinted at or advertised it as a platformer, that's a bad thing, but shouldn't be held against the game itself.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Invictus posted:

A series changing mechanics isn't a bad thing. Now, if they hinted at or advertised it as a platformer, that's a bad thing, but shouldn't be held against the game itself.

Going from a 2D stealth game to a 3D stealth game is not even remotely the same as going from a collectathon platformer to a sandbox-y vehicle building game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Uh...did they somehow get podcast cursed despite recording a day later, because I don't see New Nintendo small being on the docket.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, and Ace Attorney got straight up announced in English too.

havenwaters posted:

Dragon Grampa 1.5. Man didn't expect to see this playthrough.
Haha, I had a feeling Liam was gonna do DR but I never thought it was gonna manifest into actual content. I hope for much reaction shots and disappointment. Still,.an over the shoulder shooter is probably the best fit for the channel.
Although the big cutscenes not being subbed is gonna be annoying. Especially if Liam decides he wants to switch languages like he always does. EDIT: Oh man it's the first thing they complain about ha.
Screw you guys Amanda Miller is great. Also despite there being voice acting the guys are still AstroBoying the dialogue.

HGH fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 2, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Invictus posted:

Liam 100%ed Banjo Kazooie recently, I don't know if I'd say he's not a "big banjo fan".

Yeah, recently. 2 or 3 years ago he might have played Nuts & Bolts first and thought the whole series should have been this way. At least Jontron has nostalgia for an excuse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

Yeah, and Ace Attorney got straight up announced in English too.

Haha, I had a feeling Liam was gonna do DR but I never thought it was gonna manifest into actual content. I hope for much reaction shots and disappointment. Still,.an over the shoulder shooter is probably the best fit for the channel.
Although the big cutscenes not being subbed is gonna be annoying. Especially if Liam decides he wants to switch languages like he always does. EDIT: Oh man it's the first thing they complain about ha.
Screw you guys Amanda Miller is great. Also despite there being voice acting the guys are still AstroBoying the dialogue.

I love that they are complaining about some of the best voice acting NISA's ever been a part of, it's absolutely amazing how Woolie said Erin Ftizgerald was a fantastic VA and then never listens to her in a game where she voices one of the major characters.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I assume you have to play dongdong rongpa 1 before watching that lp?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You have to play both if you want to understand anything that's going on or to not be spoiled.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, they DID talk about the small New 3ds and ace attorney.

GODO JOB, Woolie, docket master

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Depths posted:

I assume you have to play dongdong rongpa 1 before watching that lp?

Yeah, though it's kind of questionable if it's even worth it. First game was fantastic, second game things kinda got stupid but was still pretty good, then the books took it all into really stupid directions and this game is borderline offensive if what I recall from the Japanese version is true.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought DR2 was far superior to 1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The mini-games were mostly improved and it introduced the island mode that would be added to DR1 Vita, but the cast is overall worse and the story is definitely even more up its own rear end with several instances of really disgusting moments and one instance of implied necrophilia. The case writing is mostly worse too except for Case 5 which is amazing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'd have to disagree with that too. I think the cast of 2 is a lot better, especially because 2's cast has Nagito who is like the best character in the franchise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Any cast with Mikan and Hiyoko in it is not better, Nagito being amazing notwithstanding.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I was gonna buy the games on the liam but theyre still full-priced :sigh:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Depths posted:

I was gonna buy the games on the liam but theyre still full-priced :sigh:

I don't have the Liam, and SA's last experience with Dangan Rompa apparently soft-banned the franchise from LP, so I was hoping Vita would push for the second game instead. :smith:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'd have to disagree with that too. I think the cast of 2 is a lot better, especially because 2's cast has Nagito who is like the best character in the franchise.

He's a tedious author's pet and his schtick gets old after the 7th or 8th wacky crazy anime stillshot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Try the Liam, I hear the sweet and salty flavors blend together for a surprisingly wonderful experience.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

He's a tedious author's pet and his schtick gets old after the 7th or 8th wacky crazy anime stillshot.

I think he's second only to Blick Winkel as Best VN Character

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dias posted:

I don't have the Liam, and SA's last experience with Dangan Rompa apparently soft-banned the franchise from LP, so I was hoping Vita would push for the second game instead. :smith:

Wait what? I know Oren's LP stopped due to the translation and him not caring anymore or something but I didn't hear about it getting banned. What's the deal?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Its kinda of the same thing with C&C Generals. It's a fun RTS, but it was poorly received because it deviated from the C&C theme and mechanics pretty heavily the the point it might as well not have been called C&C.

Like why did Nuts and Bolts need to be a Banjo game? It's not like Rare couldn't have just come up with another wacky cartoon world with googly eyes on everything. Conker might have even made more sense. It's literally just dangling the IP to push sales.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
People wouldn't be nearly as salty about Nuts and Bolts if it wasn't eight years since the last 3D Banjo game, only for the series to be revived just as a vehicle centric game when it's not what people wanted. See also: Metroid Prime Federation Force.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My theory on NB being a banjo game is that they might not have been able to justify a new game with a weird mechanic in it to Microsoft without slapping on a franchise they owned that still had good faith attached to it (conker was not one of these after live and reloaded).

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I think I'm one of the few freaks out there that's okay with Federation Force, mainly because Metroid has zero nostalgia for me and I like the cutesy art style. Yeah, I know the series is about isolation and everything, but this seems like a fun little thing I'd maybe buy if Nintendo can get their online spot-on instead of just "okay".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Rare loosely experimented with two other Banjo-Threeie concepts before settling on Nuts & Bolts.

One of them was a typical collectathon platformer, except Grunty would be actively competing with you to get each Jiggy. IIRC this was scrapped because AI would be a nightmare.

The other would masquerade as a HD remake of the first game, except each level would freak the gently caress out and take a weird turn (like the termites in the first world taking over the place entirely) halfway through. I don't remember why that was scrapped.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Kins posted:

The other would masquerade as a HD remake of the first game, except each level would freak the gently caress out and take a weird turn (like the termites in the first world taking over the place entirely) halfway through. I don't remember why that was scrapped.

That sounds kind of awesome. I wish I could remember what game I played that did something a little like this. Defying (well-established) expectations can be one of the most awesome things in games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I finally realized what those flying sections of StarfoxAdventures reminded me of. It's basically Kingdom Hearts 1's Gummi Ships. Complete with flacidness and all.
Well ok it's probably the other way around but still.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm kind of baffled why they're LPing Ultra Despair Girls. The audience for that LP has is "people who played this obscure series of visual novels on the vita but aren't buying this spin-off, also it's the two people who just did two LPs where they mash A through all the story" which has to be an extremely tiny cross-section of the Best Friends viewership.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're probably just playing it because they like it, which is fine, but that game's not gonna generate many views since it's pretty obscure and any potential new fans they could pull in with it are going to be spoiled on the other two games. Also, unless the Japanese voice track comes with subtitles for the anime and non-text cutscenes they're gonna have a fun time trying to understand the dialogue in those cutscenes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Liam aaid on reddit the intent is to get people to buy the game, but A. that would be better served as a one-off and B. anyone who knew about this game was already getting it and this is a incomprehensibly lovely starting point for new fans

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It baffles me why he didn't just do a one-off then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i have no intention of ever buying a dr game, but will watch this playthrough.

i might even pick up part of the plot, even though i don't care about it.