Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

All these spilled bytes aren't going to sweep themselves back into the bit spec bucket. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dick Trauma posted:

All these spilled bytes aren't going to sweep themselves back into the bit bucket. :smith:

Ironic you should say that, given that I just got to spend a day trying to recover a month's worth of code from a developer who forgot that the "distributed" part of Bitbucket repositories doesn't mean "you never have to push or pull".

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

larchesdanrew posted:

A coworker revealed to me that the GM is creating a new department dedicated to graphic design. This means his line about not being able to restructure departments is bullshit. I'm going to him with my plan to shift us partially to the cloud, and then demanding my own department or I'm out. rear end in a top hat's got one more chance. I'll go back to washing cars before I put another NAS into this shithole network.

Let us know how it goes. :allears:

(If it goes poorly - we might have some techops/sysasdmin positions (linux/vmware/some windows, no buffalo products, guaranteed) opening up where I work, and we generally have not minded people working remotely...)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

I can set up voice VLANs to automatically dump phones onto the correct isolated subnet, provision DHCP options to point them at the correct servers, and tag the traffic as high priority to maintain voice quality. Can I plug a sidecar into the correct loving port on the back of the units and remember to flick the switch that powers them up? Can I gently caress.

Laughed for a solid 5 minutes at this. Story of my life.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Eonwe posted:

If you guys had to pick a ticketing system, any system in the world, what would it be?

We're on JIRA (which I think works fine, but I get why they are moving away from it based on our needs), and they are looking at Service Manager and its loving abysmal and I'm trying to sandbag it and get a good one

What are your needs, exactly? Just email -> ticket -> track time -> close, or do you need a full-bore ITIL-compliant helpdesk?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

JohnnyCanuck posted:

5 minutes after reporting our conversation back to Sales, I get a call from my CFO. "This doesn't make sense," she says. "Why can't our client just use the same standalone license for all of their 50 new installs?"

"According to the licensing info we got from the vendor, that's not the way this works," I tell her. "It's like buying individual copies of Office. You get a different license key for each copy you buy. If you want a volume licensing key, the client needs to move to an Enterprise licensing model."

Well apparently we talked to the wrong person at the vendor. Because "that's not the way things work in my (the CFO's) head."

So now our CFO is calling the vendor herself to try and get the answer she wants/expects out of them.

I just know I'm gonna get chewed out for this.

Ask her in plain and easy terms - "do you expect the keys for your car to work with EVERY car identical to it? No, different keys get made because car manufacturers aren't stupid." How these people get into CFO roles, I have no idea, must be a lot of handjobs going around for someone that stupid to make it that high up.

Sickening posted:

Suddenly your bizarre behavior makes some sense and why my solution offended you in an odd way. I am guessing if you advised your customer to take this mac to the mac store to be fixed by them you would make less money?

This, and many times Apple stores won't touch an older Mac unless it's got their Apple Care or still under factory warranty. I found that out the hard way a long time ago, and that usually an Apple "genius" fix was to basically wipe and reload the machine from scratch. Great support there, Apple, there's a reason people hate your company and it's bullshit tactics to fleece customers.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 2, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ozz81 posted:

Ask her in plain and easy terms - "do you expect the keys for your car to work with EVERY car identical to it? No, different keys get made because car manufacturers aren't stupid." How these people get into CFO roles, I have no idea, must be a lot of handjobs going around for someone that stupid to make it that high up.

This, and many times Apple stores won't touch an older Mac unless it's got their Apple Care or still under factory warranty. I found that out the hard way a long time ago, and that usually an Apple "genius" fix was to basically wipe and reload the machine from scratch. Great support there, Apple, there's a reason people hate your company and it's bullshit tactics to fleece customers.

That hasn't been my experience. Even with super old stuff that wasn't on applecare I could pay a fee for best effort support. If they had to wipe something they could transfer data etc.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
A ticket came in.

Employee departure backup all their stuff and emails.

reason: User passed away hiking his way to work.

I have been prepared for a lot of things that can happen with users, but this was not one of them. Really depressing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gealar posted:

A ticket came in.

I have been prepared for a lot of things that can happen with users, but this was not one of them. Really depressing.

On one hand, that's really sad. :smith:

On the other... hiking?

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

On one hand, that's really sad. :smith:

On the other... hiking?

I work for a gov research center. He was hiking to meet up with his research crew.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gealar posted:

I work for a gov research center. He was hiking to meet up with his research crew.

Ahhh I see. I was imagining you're the IT guy at SherpaCo or something.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm not sure how anyone else in this thread gets to pretend they're above the "computer janitor" moniker in the first place.

Because my method for dealing with broken computers is to donate them to charity and buy a new one. By the time I've figured out what component is broken on some lovely finicky 10 year old computer the cost of paying my salary has exceeded what the thing is worth, and I've got systems that require my attention that I could spend umpteen weeks working on and I still won't exceed their worth. If someone stored vital information on the computer itself it means they went well out of their way to get past the GPO's that stop that kind of thing from happening, and welp, gently caress 'em.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I get to help move this monstrosity in a couple of weeks. 1600 pounds of pure joy.

Thankfully it splits into two parts but it's going to be a fun process getting it out of the room.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 2, 2015

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

pr0digal posted:

I get to help move this monstrosity in a couple of weeks. 1600 pounds of pure joy.

Thankfully it splits into two parts but it's going to be a fun process getting it out of the room.

Oh hey, you can just drop that off at my place. I'll take care of that for ya.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

That's why God invented the Sawzall

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

nexxai posted:

Actually, that was Eric S. Sawzall

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

So a user is having trouble with her Lenovo X1 Carbon's wired connection (wireless seems to work fine, but is far enough away from the access point that speeds are noticeably slower). I go onsite and check it out.

Uh what :raise:

Here's a list of the troubleshooting steps I've done already, in order, for reference:

1. Changed the ethernet cable coming out of her VoIP phone.
2. Rebooted the phone, twice.
3. Tested the new cable with my MacBook Air (worked fine).
4. Booted into Safe Mode with Networking, rolled driver back in Windows.
5. Still in Safe Mode, completely uninstalled driver(s).
6. Booted normally, installed most current driver from this July.
7. Tested her X1 ethernet dongle with a coworker's X1 Carbon and the new cable (worked fine).
8. Tested on a completely different ethernet run in the office.

The symptoms are always the same - stable and fast ping, followed by one or two dropped packets. This ticket is a low priority, but it's driving me nuts. Any suggestions, or can I write this off as hardware failure?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Have you tried pinging loopback? I don't know if that'll work without a loopback plug or not, though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

Oh wow. Don't you need to get the manufacturer to move stuff like that out of fear of them making GBS threads all over your warranty/support?

MiniFoo posted:

So a user is having trouble with her Lenovo X1 Carbon's wired connection (wireless seems to work fine, but is far enough away from the access point that speeds are noticeably slower). I go onsite and check it out.

Here's a list of the troubleshooting steps I've done already, in order, for reference:

7. Tested her X1 ethernet dongle with a coworker's X1 Carbon and the new cable (worked fine).

The symptoms are always the same - stable and fast ping, followed by one or two dropped packets. This ticket is a low priority, but it's driving me nuts. Any suggestions, or can I write this off as hardware failure?

Turned off power saving on the ethernet adapter? Anything in the BIOS/UEFI relating to the ethernet port also being a vPro remote management thing? What's an Ubuntu live boot show?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 2, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MiniFoo posted:

I had something like this on our FTP computer when I first set it up. Turning off power saving on the adapter fixed it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And does the switch it's connected to have any green ethernet features where it drops the port power to the minimum required?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

nexxai posted:

larchesdanrew posted:

Actually, that was Eric S. Sawzall
Both of you are wrong. Fun story: First thing my baby brother bought with his financial aid was that saw, first thing he cut down with it was a tree whose growth spanned at least one century, and about 48 inches/120cm at the base. If you need it cut, that saw will do it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Because my method for dealing with broken computers is to donate them to charity and buy a new one. By the time I've figured out what component is broken on some lovely finicky 10 year old computer the cost of paying my salary has exceeded what the thing is worth, and I've got systems that require my attention that I could spend umpteen weeks working on and I still won't exceed their worth. If someone stored vital information on the computer itself it means they went well out of their way to get past the GPO's that stop that kind of thing from happening, and welp, gently caress 'em.

This.

At a certain point you realize the secret is to just buy a new one because you are making enough per hour that the time it would take you to gently caress with it is better spent elsewhere. There should be nothing special on it that makes it must have in anyway.

Except for my computer, because I'm a special snowflake developer and I sure as gently caress can't put my 30gb vm on sharefile.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

"For the love of High Availability, Montresor!"

"Yes, for the love of High Availability."
*fails over*

Please keep us updated, I really want to know how the saga ends.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Volmarias posted:

"Yes, for the love of High Availability."
*fails over*

Please keep us updated, I really want to know how the saga ends.

If it all works out, I'm stereotypically picking the basement as my new office. The central area is the size of a nice studio apartment, and I've got just the couch to put down there.

I'll also let you goons decide what decoration I hang up first in honor of all your support.

If it doesn't work out, I'm making my eventual suicide look like an accident

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

If it doesn't work out, I'm making my eventual suicide look like an accident

No. Frame the supervisor for manslaughter at the very least. You've already laid the groundwork with the public arguments so your co-workers can tell the police, "Well, yes. Supervisor and larchesdanrew *did* seem to have some issues with each other, probably by being competent and making Supervisor look bad in comparison. But I never imagined it would come to this. Not with a garlic ricer and vaseline."

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh wow. Don't you need to get the manufacturer to move stuff like that out of fear of them making GBS threads all over your warranty/support?

Turned off power saving on the ethernet adapter? Anything in the BIOS/UEFI relating to the ethernet port also being a vPro remote management thing? What's an Ubuntu live boot show?

We've got two engineers from Spectra coming out. They're the ones taking it apart and will help us move it as there is no way in hell we're doing it without them.

There's an entire document on site prep and our project coordinator had to fill out a survey. They even have specifications as to where you should cut holes in your raised floor for maximum efficiency.

I'm not just saying this because we're a Spectra reseller but if you're looking for a tape library look into Spectra. They have their poo poo together from a support standpoint.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 3, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

If it all works out, I'm stereotypically picking the basement as my new office. The central area is the size of a nice studio apartment, and I've got just the couch to put down there.

Wait a minute...sadistic supervisor, lying GM, working at a TV studio, pretty much getting hosed every day you go to work....

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I find myself on the fringe of an unusual situation in DoD contracting wherein the military doesn't want to actually spend a lot of money on new hardware. So last week there were some issues at a base We helped them out by unburying a bunch of equipment that we were sending to Depro, which was actually better than what the base actually had.

That was a mistake.

Now, this base has a poo poo-ton of old rear end equipment that desperately needs replaced. They liked our virtual infrastructure and it's hard to argue with the results - our poo poo stays up and works like a champ. Unfortunately our setup is also extremely expensive. Then some jackass brilliantly mentioned that we have some hosts turned off that are serving as backups in the event other hosts go down. Now they want to come in and yank all those hosts out of our server room and ship them to the other base, since it's, well, cheap. Problem is, we don't want to lose those hosts because then we have zero redundancy on mission-essential equipment and services.

Our EMC vendor suggested the other base send us some of their storage and we'd be happy to take some of the strain off their systems. Unlike them we have the facilities, power, and cooling to handle a lot more without needing to rebuild the entire server area (unlike the other base), but we really need storage equipment. They're balking and insisting that we should just send them our equipment and don't seem to understand why we would be reluctant to do so.

A lot of their insistence stems from the fact they are under a very big magnifying lens because of continual performance and competency issues that have drat near crippled their operations, and it hasn't reflected well on them that we've had to pull their nuts out of the fire by figuring out the problem, proposing a resolution, and then supplying them with the means to fix it from our deprovisioned equipment.

So far our commanding officer has been resisting the move for us to turn over equipment, using precisely the argument that zero redundancy for mission-essential equipment and services is bad, and it's been working. Don't know how long it will last, however.

I guess sometimes being out in front of all your peers just means you have a convenient bullseye on your back.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 3, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

I asked as kindly as possible, "What the loving poo poo you idiot?"

:downs: "Well they were on sale and I figured you could finally replace the ones that crashed before."
:stare: "You do understand they failed because they're buffalo drives, and you want me to replace them with more buffalo drives, right?"
:downs: "Nah, they failed cause they got too full."
:stare: "Hard drives don't work that way. Archives need redundancy. These are all single drive units with no way to restore them."
:downs: "They'll be fine, as long as they keep them from filling up."

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

Well, yeah, if they get too full all the datas come out of the overflow and get jammed up in the plate motor and then the drive stops working, also if you use too big files then the reader head can't lift them off the platter properly and it damages the reading arm, so you can't use files bigger than maybe 1gb, 1.5 on a really high end drive.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I actually worked with a Buffalo Terastation (don't recall the model, some sort of a rackmount formfactor) that consistently slowed way the gently caress down when it was over about 95% or so. Reproducible and everything.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have a system on our network that handles securely sending messages, there are some rules on our mail gateway to push tagged messages to this box, which holds the message and sends out a notification. There is a button in Outlook with adds this tag to the subject line in the message, and until today, I've never had a problem with that part. Most people write the subject, hit the button and it adds some text to flag to the message. But a user found out if you don't write the subject, but hit the button and then don't put a space after the # at the end of the tag, the message won't be flagged properly on the secure message box. It just forwards the message on.

I reproduce the problem, play around with all the ways to trigger it, but I can't actually look on our side and change it, as my account doesn't have full admin access to the management page. So I have to wait for the boss to get off the phone. I send him an email with what I found, I get some log messages showing it skipping the rule. He looks at it for a bit, comes out of his office and instantly blames another group, because its obviously something they did. 0 to blame in less then 10 seconds.

He finally gives me the login, which he said he had emailed, but I must have lost it. Now, I figured the problem is in the regular expression matching on the policy, and figured I'd check there. Instead he has me alternately disable/enable the box sending or receiving messages. He thinks this shouldn't accept messages from the proofpoint servers, because its supposed to send them by magic apparently. Oddly enough, disabling its ability to receive messages shows they don't go out, and turning off its ability to send messages also keeps it from doing anything. He says to talk to the other group about fixing their poo poo, and then leaves.

I wait 5 minutes, renable the sending/receiving and let messages flow through it again. Tomorrow I'm going to check the policies and fix it. I loving knew he'd instantly blame someone else, then blow smoke up everyone's rear end to delay things until he had time to fix it himself and make himself look good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gealar posted:

A ticket came in.

I think I heard about your user on the news on my way to classes after work. Was this near the Grand Canyon?

I had a ticket like that at my old job, one of the really pleasant security officers was murdered. It really stung because she was the first person I'd see on my way into work every day and she was always smiling.

You have my condolences. :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Computer Janitor, the noblest profession.

I've tried a bunch of different career paths in coaching, communications, ISP DSL analyst, sales, team management, business analysis etc etc etc, but I find that I'm not happy in any of them. I'm at my happiest when I have a screwdriver in my hand and a broken computer in front of me. I SHOULD branch out into server management, networking, VMware, storage etc, but it just doesn't feel as good as long as the pay and benefits I get for having my favorite hobby as my job are decent enough.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I SHOULD branch out into server management, networking, VMware, storage etc, but it just doesn't feel as good as long as the pay and benefits I get for having my favorite hobby as my job are decent enough.

I think every IT-person at some point have looked out the window and thought "I should have been a gardener/farmer/trench digger" at some point.

I know I do today with this goddamn Exchange EWS being a bitch and denying me access for no good reason. :mad:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Ironic you should say that, given that I just got to spend a day trying to recover a month's worth of code from a developer who forgot that the "distributed" part of Bitbucket repositories doesn't mean "you never have to push or pull".

What the gently caress :psyduck: if he never pushed or pulled, did he never wonder why his poo poo never appeared on the server? Was he just commiting everything locally?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pr0digal posted:

That is loving glorious. My boss (last job) had a 400lb spectra tape drive that we never used. I spent many an hour shuffling it around (solo) from one end of the building to the other every time we needed to "clean" an area to make space for something else.
No one figured out how I managed to move it all by myself.
6ft chisel breaker bar, a 4x4 as a fulcrum, and custom built low-profile dolly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

pr0digal posted:

Try emptying the water-tray in the ice-maker first.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

Definitely try booting a linux livesystem and seeing if you can repro there. If so you can probably write this off as hardware.

larchesdanrew posted:

I had something like this on our FTP computer when I first set it up. Turning off power saving on the adapter fixed it

I ran into similar issues last year, except that rather than dropping a few packets the adapter would go completely catatonic until disabled and re-enabled in device manager (or the system was rebooted). That was a fun time trying to get the drivers updated on a new system and wondering why it kept crapping out halfway through the download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

"Hey larchesdanrew, can you move all my email from my old laptop to my new laptop?"

Sure!

103gb :negative:

• Locked thread