Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bort Bortles posted:

Is it still possible to blob up a bit in the Low Countries as one of the minors under Burgundy by declaring for independence and then taking land instead of freedom? If so, is it worthwhile to take Exploration first or is that better held off until second because of naval tech needing to catch up?

Castille always annoys the poo poo out of me because of that. Galicia is an OPM and Leon only gets 4 mediocre provinces. Castillian is their Primary Culture and Andalucian does not get a cultural country (at least not in the early game) because Grenada shenanigans.

I don't see much point in releasing minors from an enemy. It costs so much warscore you have to have just beaten them pretty badly, so chances are you can do so again next war. It always costs diplo points because there's no causes belli that lets you do it as part of your war goals. Except in rare corner cases where the released nation can distract a stupidly powerful nation that isn't much fun to fight (France, Ming, sometimes Mega-Spain) I think I'd be better off taking provinces instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Zurai posted:

According to Arumba, Wiz is working to make trust more transparent to the player. He mentioned it in one of his Tac Team episodes in the last couple of days.

That would be great. Something on the screen such as when you prepare to enforce peace, it will say "Successfully enforcing a white peace or defending this nation will earn you X amount of trust with Y and Z nations." Or if an ally asks you to join their war, it does something similar - "Coming to the aid of Albania will earn you X trust wtith them."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LLSix posted:

I don't see much point in releasing minors from an enemy. It costs so much warscore you have to have just beaten them pretty badly, so chances are you can do so again next war. It always costs diplo points because there's no causes belli that lets you do it as part of your war goals. Except in rare corner cases where the released nation can distract a stupidly powerful nation that isn't much fun to fight (France, Ming, sometimes Mega-Spain) I think I'd be better off taking provinces instead.
I prefer to beat the poo poo out of a country, driving up their War Exhaustion and running them into debt so they pop out on their own. I also like making individual peace with each opponent when playing someone large like the Ottomans, in which case I dont want land in Spain and dont have an ally (because I cant release Grenada :argh: ). Because getting peace with Castille/Spain in this example (because it is like this when getting peace with anyone) means I have to nearly 100% warscore them or drag the war on for 10 years; I tend to get to nearly 100% someone and need something to do with it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Also releasing nations gives no AE so if you've already got coalition woes it's a great deal

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I keep thinking there should be some special event chain if you manage to become the head of the Holy Roman Empire as the Byzantines.

Has anyone made a mod for that kind of thing?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Has anyone figured out why this stupid "You cannot disband a unit that is next to an enemy army or next to enemy territory" bullcrap exists yet?

I cant loving stand it. If it is some "its makes multiplayer shensigans harder" I am going to be really annoyed. I am 2PM I want to disband my mercenaries while at war, but cant because I am a two province country that cannot get the mercs far enough away from "enemy territory" to tell them to gently caress off.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah that and not being able to disband/merge units when they're movement locked (even in peacetime) have been driving me crazy. Actually if they just got rid of movement lock in peacetime entirely that would be cool.

e: oh, it's to stop you from disbanding a unit the moment before an enemy army wipes it by the way. If anything I expect it was more aimed towards singleplayer, micromanaging on that scale is pretty hard in multiplayer. I think it's totally valid that it's there, the parameters are just way too broad. Maybe if it only stopped you from disbanding if an enemy was moving to that particular province or something.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 3, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Yeah that and not being able to disband/merge units when they're movement locked (even in peacetime) have been driving me crazy. Actually if they just got rid of movement lock in peacetime entirely that would be cool.

e: oh, it's to stop you from disbanding a unit the moment before an enemy army wipes it by the way. I think it's totally valid that it's there, the parameters are just way too broad. Maybe if it only stopped you from disbanding if an enemy was moving to that particular province or something.
Thanks. So it is a feature to stop people from cheesing a mechanic. A mechanic I never cheesed, so I have to deal with an obtuse gameplay mechanic because other people cheesed a different mechanic. Great. It would be nice if occupied territory counted as mine in this instance. Or if it only came into play near enemy armies rather than enemy territory.

In other news: As Holland I just took a shitload of territory from Burgundy but stayed a subject, and now have 70 AE with all of the HRE! :suicide101:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I think they might be going a bit hard towards anti-cheese balance these days, but disbanding an army the moment before it got attacked took like no effort and was a pretty bullshit way to save on warscore that I (and I think most people) took advantage of all the drat time. It's not like it was some obscure multiplayer exploit really.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It also makes things like recruiting a mercenary to scorch a province just before the invading army gets there have an actual cost.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zurai posted:

It also makes things like recruiting a mercenary to scorch a province just before the invading army gets there have an actual cost.
But you have to pay to recruit to mercenary and its upkeep till you disband it :confused:

Koramei posted:

I think they might be going a bit hard towards anti-cheese balance these days, but disbanding an army the moment before it got attacked took like no effort and was a pretty bullshit way to save on warscore that I (and I think most people) took advantage of all the drat time. It's not like it was some obscure multiplayer exploit really.
Fair enough, but I still cant stand it.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

In other news: As Holland I just took a shitload of territory from Burgundy but stayed a subject, and now have 70 AE with all of the HRE! :suicide101:

Unless something changed you cannot be the target of a coalition as a subject. So feel free to get all the AE you want (until your PU breaks).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

In my Sweden game Novgorod allied Denmark right after I broke free. Muscovy declared war on Novgorod 2-3 months ago so now Denmark and Novgorod are both fighting Muscovy.

How come Denmark stills shows as willing to answer a call to arms from Novgorod if I declare war on Novgorod for my totally legitimate claims? They should have a -1000 penalty to answering the call for already being at war. I know I have that already at war penalty because that's one of the reasons Austria won't join my war. I'm hoping the tooltip is just lying to me and I'll be able to backstab Novgorod as soon as they lose a fight with Muscovy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: because it is a defensive war, I believe.

Sorced posted:

Unless something changed you cannot be the target of a coalition as a subject. So feel free to get all the AE you want (until your PU breaks).
The PU breaking is what I am worried about because I had England, France, and Austria backing me up so Burgundy was pretty thoroughly crushed, which therefore means their prestige is low and the PU will likely break soon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bort Bortles posted:

But you have to pay to recruit to mercenary and its upkeep till you disband it :confused:

The upkeep is irrelevant since it gets disbanded immediately upon actually finishing recruitment; done right it literally doesn't even stay active for a single day. The monetary cost isn't nearly as big a deal as the war exhaustion, prestige, and war score costs of losing a battle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LLSix posted:

In my Sweden game Novgorod allied Denmark right after I broke free. Muscovy declared war on Novgorod 2-3 months ago so now Denmark and Novgorod are both fighting Muscovy.

How come Denmark stills shows as willing to answer a call to arms from Novgorod if I declare war on Novgorod for my totally legitimate claims? They should have a -1000 penalty to answering the call for already being at war. I know I have that already at war penalty because that's one of the reasons Austria won't join my war. I'm hoping the tooltip is just lying to me and I'll be able to backstab Novgorod as soon as they lose a fight with Muscovy.

Because it's a defensive war. Denmark also probably isn't bothered by the ongoing war at all, since odds are they're sitting on their hands anyway.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Did I miss something in the patch notes? Did War Exhaustion and Inflation get really ramped up? In one modest war I got ten WE and asking for a few hundred ducats got me 2 inflation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm doing Great Khan and I'm at the point where it's time to start taking the fight to Ming. What's the best way to go about shattering a gigantic (over 1,000% total war score) Ming blob? I figure just taking 100% WS worth of provinces isn't going to do anything for me, so how should I go about things? I've never actually fought Ming head on for all their territory, I usually just need a province or region or something.

Should I get 100% WS and release the biggest nation I can? Kill all their troops (you know...eventually) and just sit on 100% WS and let their war exhaustion go through the roof?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

VDay posted:

So I'm doing Great Khan and I'm at the point where it's time to start taking the fight to Ming. What's the best way to go about shattering a gigantic (over 1,000% total war score) Ming blob? I figure just taking 100% WS worth of provinces isn't going to do anything for me, so how should I go about things? I've never actually fought Ming head on for all their territory, I usually just need a province or region or something.

Should I get 100% WS and release the biggest nation I can? Kill all their troops (you know...eventually) and just sit on 100% WS and let their war exhaustion go through the roof?

Did you westernize yet? If you did, force them into protectorate with 100 warscore and keep stealing provinces from them through subject interaction/bumping liberty desire back down for extra prestige you gain in other wars. Eventually they'll lose mandate of haven either because of size or by trying to westernize, and that'll implode them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha holy poo poo there's no size limit to forcing a protectorate through war? How have I never known or bothered to look that up :psyduck:

I was actually about to Westernize and was going to deal with Ming shortly thereafter, so that's perfect. I'll just leave the rest of India alone for now so I have some easy wars to constantly get into for prestige farming. I'm actually kind of looking forward to this now, even if drilling through the great wall of forts is going to be a giant pain in the rear end.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
So here is the traditional 'hi, we play MP and so should you' post. We're looking for a sub for the Papal States for this session on Saturday. The Pope is in the HRE, with some allies and a brooding conflict in North Africa to enjoy. Blocs are forming, tensions are building, and sooner or later it will all collapse into a hell from which there is no escape. Featuring a player Byzantium in the HRE :psyduck:

Whilst the Pope is a priority, anybody who wants a more permanent position is welcome to slot into India or the steppes: China et al are a bit too far east for now, but they'll be opened soon. You can either post in the thread or shout at me, Obliterati, over Steam and we'll sort you out.

Come play MP! It is so much better than chumping the AI repeatedly you won't even believe. Also, this may or may not be published as an LP soon...

Player map (missing GB and Muscovy):

Political map:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Thanks. So it is a feature to stop people from cheesing a mechanic. A mechanic I never cheesed, so I have to deal with an obtuse gameplay mechanic because other people cheesed a different mechanic. Great. It would be nice if occupied territory counted as mine in this instance. Or if it only came into play near enemy armies rather than enemy territory.

Koramei posted:

If they added a cooldown to disbanding the unit (e.g. if you click 'disband' then it ticks down over 30 days) then they could prevent the cheese without forcing you to wait until your unit is a) not half-way through a move, b) not near an enemy army, c) not near an enemy province just to disband it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Was it confirmed that 1.13 beta saves will still work on 1.13? I haven't had the chance to play since the full patch dropped and don't want to lose the games I was playing on the beta.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Was it confirmed that 1.13 beta saves will still work on 1.13? I haven't had the chance to play since the full patch dropped and don't want to lose the games I was playing on the beta.

They work fine for me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Oooooohhh... the EUIV Random Map Generator has updated, and the maps look lovely. I know what I'm going to test out when I get home!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:stare:

It looks a lot better. Not great, but better.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

:stare:

It looks a lot better. Not great, but better.

It's a fan made whole map generator, not the official one, just to be clear.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
huh kind of surprised they're updating that when the official one is getting a complete rewrite soon.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Will the official one just enable randomized Americas, or a whole new world?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Fintilgin posted:

Oooooohhh... the EUIV Random Map Generator has updated, and the maps look lovely. I know what I'm going to test out when I get home!

I guess this isn't compatible with Ironman either?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

alcaras posted:

Will the official one just enable randomized Americas, or a whole new world?

I think it's just whole new world.

Just America would be a nice feature though.

Makes sense to update because it does the entire world and is actually random (based off a Civ map generator?) as opposed to using prebaked tiles like the upcoming Paradox update.

I don't very much that it supports iron man.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Granting Free City status to OPMs as Emperor seems like it can never happen. Nations blob, and the few OPMs are Monarchies or Theocracies that have a huge malus that doesn't seem like it could be overcome unless you had enormous diplomatic reputation. Like, 6 or more.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Node posted:

Granting Free City status to OPMs as Emperor seems like it can never happen. Nations blob, and the few OPMs are Monarchies or Theocracies that have a huge malus that doesn't seem like it could be overcome unless you had enormous diplomatic reputation. Like, 6 or more.

It's more or less pure luck whether you can actually grant free city status, especially because there's a lovely -1000 if their ruler is a militarist. Also if you enforce a religious change during war time, they lose that status :v:

Max out relations and hope was how I did it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I had pretty good success with austria (so i had a bonkers dip rep) by force releasing opms in wars then offeing free city status.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I had pretty good success with austria (so i had a bonkers dip rep) by force releasing opms in wars then offeing free city status.

That is what I've noticed too. The 25 trust you get is enough to bump it up.

But goddamn IA is slower to raise now. I started as a weak Hesse, granted, but even with seven free cities, electors, and only four more heretics left that I can't get a CB on (unless I eliminate a prince to get there) the IA just trickles at 0.02 a month, when there is someone at war.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any awesome strategies for playing as colonial nation?

I never tried a game as something like the USA or Brazil. End-game will probably involve invading Europe, so that might be fun :getin:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It seems like buildings (other than forts) get deleted in all your provinces when you make a custom nation in them, anyone know if there's a way to change that?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Would appreciate some advice on my Bahmanis -> Hindustan game. I'm going for the Sun Never Sets achievement, took Exploration early and snaked around the Cape grabbing a couple ports in the New World to westernize and colonizing Canada. As you can see I managed to beat the Euros to all of southern Africa, the Indian Ocean, and all the Asia-continent islands (which I focused on since they give full manpower and tax for me). It's not going to be very hard to get London off GB to finish the achievement, and mostly at this point I'm wondering: am I within reach of Silk Road?

Notice the Ottomans collapsed early on and Saruhan and Karaman are what's left. Ming has fragmented too, so there aren't many scary blobs between me and the rest of the silk provinces. Mostly I'm not sure if I have time to get them all before the end date, I rarely play much past 1700. I do have Admin and Influence ideas maxed out, westernized and caught up on tech.

I've been eating Africa to take advantage of the overseas coring discount and in a few decades I'll integrate Yemen and connect most of Africa via Aden/Hormuz.

Edit: Hmm, I could protectorate rump Ming (they still have most of their cores) and feed them back cores, I'm assuming that would count for the silk achievement. What would happen if they westernize?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 4, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

I never tried a game as something like the USA or Brazil. End-game will probably involve invading Europe, so that might be fun :getin:
If you're playing as Brazil, it's only right that you conquer Portugal and bring it back into the fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: Hmm, I could protectorate rump Ming (they still have most of their cores) and feed them back cores, I'm assuming that would count for the silk achievement. What would happen if they westernize?

They break free. I've only ever managed to do Silk Road as part of a world conquest (I got it in 1812).

• Locked thread