Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I can't find any source that says the EPA wants to prohibit the use of chloramine. I can find a lengthy Q&A on the EPA website explaining why they feel chloramine is safe to use for disinfecting water supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder how feasible it'd be to get the federal government to impose export tariffs on tree nuts or something. Probably run afoul of some free trade agreement or another. And it wouldn't stop California growers from selling alfalfa to texas cattle ranchers, anyway.

I thought export tariffs were banned in the constitution, Article I, Section 9 & 10.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e_angst posted:

I thought export tariffs were banned in the constitution, Article I, Section 9 & 10.

I think that's just for internal trade, since a later portion allows export taxes with the consent of Congress:

quote:

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FRINGE posted:

:what: Have you ever been to SoCal?

Most people in this thread are Bay Area so I would say no.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Litany Unheard posted:

I can't find any source that says the EPA wants to prohibit the use of chloramine. I can find a lengthy Q&A on the EPA website explaining why they feel chloramine is safe to use for disinfecting water supplies.
The wiki reference is to a manual of chemistry I will never lay my hands on, but EWG had some references:

http://www.ewg.org/research/water-treatment-contaminants

quote:

In recent years, many water utilities have tried to reduce contamination caused by water treatment by switching from free chlorine to chloramines, compounds made from chlorine and ammonia gases.

Chloramines are more stable than chlorine and do not produce as many trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids. The EPA has reported that when Washington Aqueduct, a U.S. Corps of Engineers facility that treats drinking water for Washington D.C., switched to chloramines, the estimated average of the regulated water treatment contaminants in these two families dropped by 47 percent (EPA 2006).

Yet switching to chloramines has not solved the problem but rather moved the problem – and may have complicated it.

Chloramines are toxic to kidney dialysis patients and extremely toxic to fish (EPA 2012b).

A nationwide study on water treatment contaminants conducted by the EPA reported that chloraminated drinking water had the highest levels of an unregulated chemical family known as iodoacids (EPA 2002). Some researchers consider iodoacids to be potentially the most toxic group of water treatment contaminants found to date, but there is still relatively little research on them (Barlow 2004, Plewa 2004).

Other dangerous compounds formed by chloramine are nitrosamines. In 2010, then-EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson launched a new “drinking water strategy.” During these deliberations, the agency is addressing, among other things, nitrosamine contamination. Nitrosamines, which are currently unregulated, form when water is disinfected with chloramine. The U.S. government says some chemicals in the nitrosamine family are “reasonably anticipated” to be human carcinogens.

In a 2011 report called “The Chlorine Dilemma,” David Sedlak, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, detailed the “dark side” of water treatment and the new and unanticipated hazards of water treatment plants’ shift from chlorine to chloramine. “Nitrosamines are the compounds that people warned you about when they told you you shouldn’t be eating those nitrite-cured hot dogs,” Sedlak told National Public Radio in 2011. “They’re about a thousand times more carcinogenic than the disinfection byproducts that we’d been worried about with regular old chlorine.”

The bottom line is that switching to chloramination may have achieved the desired effect of reducing trihalomethane and haloacetic acid levels, but it may have inadvertently exposed the population to additional unregulated byproducts that are more harmful in the long run.

Chloramines present other potential problems. Utilities observed that chloramines were not as effective at disinfection as free chlorine, so, according to the EPA, many treatment plants began to alternate between chloramines and chlorine to “dislodge biofilms and sediment in water mains” (EPA 2007). When chlorine was reintroduced to a system for a month-long “chlorine flush” (EWG 2007), the result was “chlorine burn,” which removed sludge and sediment from pipes but also temporarily raised the level of chlorine-generated contaminants. Customers of utilities that used both types of chemicals were exposed to varying amounts of multiple water treatment contaminants.

There were more severe and long-lasting complications. In 2000, the Washington Aqueduct switched to chloramine without realizing that chlorine prevented corrosion of old lead pipes but chloramine did not (Brown 2010). The switch caused D.C.’s old lead pipes to discharge quantities of lead into the city’s drinking water, triggering a public health crisis when the problem was detected in 2004. The belated discovery of high lead levels triggered warnings, broad distribution of water filters, firings, Congressional hearings and extensive replacement of lead water lines.

In a study published in January 2009 in the Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, scientists Marc Edwards and Simoni Triantafyllidou of Virginia Tech and Dana Best of the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington wrote that during the D.C. lead crisis, the number of babies and toddlers with elevated lead levels in their blood increased by more than four times, compared to the pre-2001 period (Edwards 2009). The authors warned that many of the youngest could suffer irreversible IQ loss or other developmental difficulties.

The Trouble with EPA

The EPA’s rules for water treatment contaminants date back to 1974, when scientists discovered that chlorine was reacting with dissolved pollution in the water supply to create more contaminants. Five years later, the EPA set the nation’s first standards for trihalomethanes at 100 parts per billion, calculated as the running annual average of total concentration of the chemicals.

In 1998, the Clinton EPA lowered the trihalomethane cap to a running annual average of 80 parts per billion and set a new legal limit for haloacetic acids at a running annual average of 60 parts per billion.

But the agency’s regulatory scheme succeeded in conveying a false sense of security to the public.

As noted earlier, the EPA regulates just nine pollutants generated by chlorine or chloramine-- four trihalomethanes and five haloacetic acids (EPA 2012a). These nine regulated chemicals represent less than 2 percent of the more than 600 unwanted chemicals created by the interaction of water treatment disinfectants and pollutants in source water (Barlow 2004).

The legal limits for the nine regulated chemicals are not what either the agency or many independent scientists believe is truly safe. Rather, the regulations represent political compromises that take into account the costs and feasibility of treatment.

In 2010, California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment proposed a “public health goal” for trihalomethanes of 0.8 parts per billion. A “goal” is not a binding legal limit, but setting a goal is the first step in the process that establishes such a limit. California regulators estimated that if the goal of 0.8 parts per billion were attained, bladder cancer risks would be reduced to no more than 1 in a million (OEHHA 2010). The state is still in the process of publishing its final goal. Still, the 2010 proposal represents what California’s public health and environmental experts believe should be done to protect the public from carcinogenic trihalomethanes. It is significant that this proposed goal is one-hundredth of the EPA cap.

Yet another problem is of the EPA’s own making. The agency established an unusual monitoring method that all but guaranteed that many Americans would be overexposed periodically to spikes in water treatment contamination. For most toxic chemicals in drinking water, the agency set a simple limit on the maximum level of the contaminant that could be measured at any time. But for water treatment contaminants, the agency permitted utilities to average the pollution throughout their systems and over the previous four quarters. This method made it legal for utilities to distribute excessively contaminated water from chronically problematic sections and use readings from other sections that were below average to remain in compliance with federal law and regulations.

This flaw is not theoretical. EWG’s analysis of 201 utilities’ water quality reports for 2012, known as “consumer confidence reports,” uncovered several utilities in which annual trihalomethane and/or haloaceticacid levels for some sampling locations spiked to between 2 and 8 times higher than other sampling locations within the same systems. The entire systems escaped penalties because their water averaged out with a passing grade from EPA. But at certain times and in certain places, the water was excessively tainted, sometimes severely so. Pregnant women and their unborn children could be affected by these spikes.

Recommendations for Consumers

Anyone drinking tap water should use some form of carbon filtration designed to reduce exposures to trihalomethanes, haloacetic acids and other water treatment contaminants.

Im going to stop, because reading about public water in this no-longer first-world country depresses me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I am going to keep drinking unfiltered tap water and not living in Nipomo!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FRINGE posted:

The wiki reference is to a manual of chemistry I will never lay my hands on, but EWG had some references:

http://www.ewg.org/research/water-treatment-contaminants

Im going to stop, because reading about public water in this no-longer first-world country depresses me.

Where does that say that the EPA want's to prohibit chloramine use?

Why did you stop quoting the article when the next paragraph is about the law changing (where the article also makes a false statement unless I'm really misreading the EPA website)?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

More than likely GOP and therefore more likely to be anti-urban/pro-ag.

Hmm, way to dismiss the largest progressive center of California as "more than likely GOP".

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Must have been thinking about Orange County and San Diego.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Zachack posted:

Where does that say that the EPA want's to prohibit chloramine use?

Why did you stop quoting the article when the next paragraph is about the law changing (where the article also makes a false statement unless I'm really misreading the EPA website)?
Do what you want. The EPAs own pdfs have all the same warnings just spun the opposite direction. Their small section on "disadvantages" highlights that their long list of "why we thinks its fine" are all bounded by not knowing much.

http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/mdbp/chloramines_index.cfm#three

quote:

Gaps in research on how monochloramine affects water should be filled.

•There are few studies on how monochloramine affects human health.

•There are few studies on the disinfection byproducts that form when
monochloramine reacts with natural organic matter in water.

•Compared to chlorine, water treated with monochloramine may contain
higher concentrations of some unregulated disinfection byproducts.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FRINGE posted:

Do what you want. The EPAs own pdfs have all the same warnings just spun the opposite direction. Their small section on "disadvantages" highlights that their long list of "why we thinks its fine" are all bounded by not knowing much.

http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/mdbp/chloramines_index.cfm#three

I am doing what I want: asking you why you quoted something apparently untrue and won't admit to, and why you selectively quoted another article in a way that leads to false conclusions.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

FRINGE posted:

:what: Have you ever been to SoCal?

My impression is that outside of LA, it's a considerably conservative area. Or at least it has been, historically.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

My impression is that outside of LA, it's a considerably conservative area. Or at least it has been, historically.

To be fair, that's true of a lot of supposed blue states

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Well you're not entirely wrong about that.

quote:

In 1932, [Riverside County] was one of only two counties (the other being Benton County, Oregon) on the entire Pacific coast of the United States to vote for Hoover over Roosevelt

Things are much better now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
OC, San Berndoo, Imperial Valley, San Diego - all very conservative and Republican (although that's changing).

OC is the birthplace of the John Birch Society and gave the world people like Congressmen Bob "B-1" Dornan.

San Diego has several giant military bases and is full of military retirees. It used to have a ton of defense contractors, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Forceholy posted:

To be fair, that's true of a lot of supposed blue states

There are no blue states or red states.

...although oklahoma and kansas sure are giving being a red state a good try. And vermont is really quite blue.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

*ahem*

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FMguru posted:

OC, San Berndoo, Imperial Valley, San Diego - all very conservative and Republican (although that's changing).

OC is the birthplace of the John Birch Society and gave the world people like Congressmen Bob "B-1" Dornan.

San Diego has several giant military bases and is full of military retirees. It used to have a ton of defense contractors, too.

i dunno much about mark takano—the gay japanese congressman from moreno valley—but i like how he grades republican press releases

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Mark Takano is from Riverside, actually. His district is Riverside, Moreno Valley, Pedley, and part of Perris.

Scumbag Ken Calvert was our rep for years and that poo poo was shameful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All of Hawaii's counties are entire islands encompassing both rural and urban areas, so there's no urban/rural breakdown in the county voting records.

I mean, OK, several of Hawaii's islands are basically all-rural, so yeah.

Hawaii went 70% blue in the 2012 election. Vermont only went 66.5%. So I'll cede the point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Leperflesh posted:

...although oklahoma and kansas sure are giving being a red state a good try. And vermont is really quite blue.
I'd like to see a map like this except with counties sized to match population.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cicero posted:

I'd like to see a map like this except with counties sized to match population.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I saw that one in the Smithsonian, I think. Much more impressive in person, imo. Can really see how the colors blend.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Positive talk: Olympic talk: LA is in the running

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-sn-usoc-los-angeles-2024-summer-olympics-20150901-story.html

Didn't see this in the last few pages (the drought talk seems to go on and on). I think people are positive to the ideal. The fiscals are going to stamp their feet about the overages, but unless there is a new third world rising up to show the world they can run in the debt to host the games we're going to get it.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2015/08/25/53983/los-angeles-projects-161-million-surplus-if-it-get/
Our official bid book.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LA strikes me as one of the few places that has room for the Olympics, can competently host the Olympics, and both can absorb and deserves all the negatives of the Olympics.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

doctorfrog posted:

LA strikes me as one of the few places that has room for the Olympics, can competently host the Olympics, and both can absorb and deserves all the negatives of the Olympics.

And on top of that, traffic wouldn't even get noticeably worse!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Thanks! That is interesting. Also, kind of hideous looking.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am grateful that we're among the first in the nation to drastically cut back on solitary confinement.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cicero posted:

Thanks! That is interesting. Also, kind of hideous looking.
I think somebody is pulling a prank on all of us.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

incoherent posted:

Positive talk: Olympic talk: LA is in the running
This seems like the perfect time to take over the Hollywood Park racetrack rebuild and also jam through Carson/Compton/Hawthorne's Super Football plan.

Dear {Sports Team}, now YOU can play in the historic {Name} Dome, site of the 2024 Olympics!!

Really though what are they going to do? Raze the Coliseum? Rent out a shload of venues for events??
AirBnB will be making GBS threads cash if this actually happens.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

This seems like the perfect time to take over the Hollywood Park racetrack rebuild and also jam through Carson/Compton/Hawthorne's Super Football plan.

Dear {Sports Team}, now YOU can play in the historic {Name} Dome, site of the 2024 Olympics!!

Really though what are they going to do? Raze the Coliseum? Rent out a shload of venues for events??
AirBnB will be making GBS threads cash if this actually happens.

Since USC took on the responsibility of long-term operation of the Coliseum, how would they get around that?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just more video fuel for the angry-about-dumb-farming fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh90Tm_TH1Y

I recently drove to LA along the 5, and you still see those signs: CONGRESS-CREATED DUST BOWL.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 5, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Just more video fuel for the angry-about-dumb-farming fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh90Tm_TH1Y

I recently drove to LA along the 5, and you still see those signs: CONGRESS-CREATED DUST BOWL.

Well, seeing how the beginning of the youtube description says that ag is exempt from mandatory water restrictions, which isn't true...doesn't exactly look good for VICE.

andamac
Jan 25, 2004

Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store.
Caltrans is having a contest offering $25,000 "to the Californian with the best unique idea about how to improve the state’s transportation system. The concept that best addresses the contest criteria within Caltrans’ area of responsibility and has the highest likelihood of being successfully implemented." http://www.dot.ca.gov/InnovAward/ct/contest/

Fun way to get the people involved in the future of the state's infrastructure or a sign of an agency that can't find two brain cells among its own employees to rub together? Either way I'm guessing a lot of entries will just say "Abolish Caltrans."

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

You'd be surprised how much I hear the sentiment, "Trains are for Europeans. This is America. We drive cars here. The solution is always more roads." Typically from people over 60, of course, but they vote faithfully.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You'd be surprised how much I hear the sentiment, "Trains are for Europeans. This is America. We drive cars here. The solution is always more roads." Typically from people over 60, of course, but they vote faithfully.

It's just a variation of "can't someone else's life change, mine has to stay exactly the same, also I don't want any state money going to anything I don't feel I have a use for."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Lane-splitting wins again.

http://www.tickld.com/x/woman-writes-an-open-letter-to-the-motorcyclist-she-didnt-kill

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

No it didn't; that idiot still lived long enough to write this lovely article.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

This is their subconscious mind trying to shield them from realizing that there were viable alternatives to them spending 5 hours a day in a car on a jammed freeway for the last 30 years of their lives. The psychological trauma from fully comprehending that they need not have missed their kids growing up could be devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Prepare for the bike riders to inform you that in fact that was 100% her fault and since she never actually hit the bike, the biker doesn't need to stop to exchange information.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No it didn't; that idiot still lived long enough to write this lovely article.

Are you arguing that lane splitting at 55+ is safe or smart?