Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

Explotation.tv is going live tonight or tomorrow. It's Vinegar Syndrome's streaming site. $9.99 a month.

:nws: http://exploitation.tv/ :nws:

Can't wait to give it a try.

This just added a whole new level of excitement for Halloween this year.

I've been trying to look into resources for the 2015 October Horror Movie Challenge thread, so this is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChineseConnection posted:

I love this genre; have you had a chance to really check it out? Worth the price?

I didn't have the money to support their Indiegogo so I haven't been able to check it out yet. I'll probably sign up once they open it up to the public.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 2, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I watch everything off a HTPC so this Hulu news makes me happy. I was fine with free and having to watch ads. But paying and having to watch ads annoyed the poo poo out of me.

edit: They just added Scanners to the Criterion Collection guess I know what tonight's movie is.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 2, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't think the extra cost is worth it just to skip like a minute of ads.

Don't know where you're getting that from. They stream about 4.5 - 6 minutes of ads per 21 minutes of television.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I just watched Zero Motivation on Netflix and I absolutely loved it and recommend it. It's similar to Office Space in a lot of ways except instead of being about menial work in a corporate office it's about menial work that women in the IDF do.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Don't know where you're getting that from. They stream about 4.5 - 6 minutes of ads per 21 minutes of television.

I just went through all of Fargo on Hulu and I think there were 6 30 second ad breaks every episode. But something like Brooklyn 99 can get a little ridiculous. Maybe they double up on stuff that runs currently? Never had that issue with Comedy Central stuff, either.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I went through 3 minutes of ads in a 15 min episode yesterday.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The_Rob posted:

I always thought that Hulu should just be free, but it would have ad's. Then you could just pay for no ads. I don't understand paying for a service to get ads and paint them more to get rid of them.

That was how it originally launched, as a way to watch older shows and recent episodes of new shows for free with ads. Then they added Hulu Plus a few years later and starting chipping away at the free content until you have the way it is today.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, it's insane. And if it's a popular movie, it's almost guaranteed not on Xbox/PS streaming.

Fear and Loathing? No.
Night of the Hunter? No.
Eyes Without A Face? No.
Anything by Wes Anderson? No.

The list goes on and on.

Doubling back a little bit, but for what it's worth I'm watching Eyes Without A Face on my PS3 now

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

Explotation.tv is going live tonight or tomorrow. It's Vinegar Syndrome's streaming site. $9.99 a month.

I love old exploitation films but man they're full of rape. Still, I'm considering giving this a go.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Exploitation.tv is going live tonight or tomorrow. It's Vinegar Syndrome's streaming site. $9.99 a month.

It's live. $10 a month with a free 7 day trial or $84 a year with a free 7 day trial.

I'll edit in a trip report after I mess around with the Roku app a bit.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 3, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

Doubling back a little bit, but for what it's worth I'm watching Eyes Without A Face on my PS3 now

I watched Life Aquatic on my PS3 a few nights ago, so I'm pretty certain it's only XBox's Hulu Plus that's gimped.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's live. $10 a month with a free 7 day trial or $84 a year with a free 7 day trial.

I'll edit in a trip report after I mess around with the Roku app a bit.

Just make another post

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

Huh that's neat
http://www.intoitpodcast.com/podcast/2015/8/27/into-it-38-daniel-tigers-neighborhood-with-devon-koren-alley

Franchescanado posted:

Pugs became popular because of Men In Black. :colbert:

And while Frasier did have a Jack Russell for much longer, I know more people with Jack Russells named Skip than I do Eddie. But even so, the point is dog trends are oddly based around pop culture. I'm sure we will have a surge of German Shepards and dogs named Max now that we had a "kickin' rad patriotic soldier dog childhood action/adventure movie".
I know you're kidding however... Do you really believe that people who consider themselves intellectual enough to be long-time Frasier fans - are also the kind of people who slavishly choose a pet name and breed based on some show that they watched as an adult? More realistic is that someone in hollywood said "oh hey, you know that dog trainer person who runs the dogs for that sitcom everybody loves? Well they've got a whole truckload of identical trained dogs - lets someone insert-breed-here into some kids' movie, they can't be that expensive it's not like somebody needs jack russells for cop dramas!" :haw:

Milo and Otis was simply on regular and heavy rotation in american grade and middle schools in the late 80s and throughout the 90s - I've never seen it outside of a classroom and I've watched it three or four times at least.

Finally, dog-naming trends have a lot more to do with "what the kid wants" versus "the breed the parents have a soft spot for after watching a show for years"... I know plenty of parents who've gotten a "cool" or "working" or otherwise "useful" dog breed and then let their child name it after some disney movie, but kids usually does't ask for that breed and get it - unless the parents also had a soft spot for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmuDLpzTdBY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So does Narcos properly end the Escobar story or does it end somewhere in the middle to set up another season? Because as much as I like it I would be pissed if it didn't end properly.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

So does Narcos properly end the Escobar story or does it end somewhere in the middle to set up another season? Because as much as I like it I would be pissed if it didn't end properly.

It's a setup for the next season. Shits gonna get crazy next season.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DangerDummy! posted:

I just went through all of Fargo on Hulu and I think there were 6 30 second ad breaks every episode. But something like Brooklyn 99 can get a little ridiculous. Maybe they double up on stuff that runs currently? Never had that issue with Comedy Central stuff, either.

It's comes across as random and likely entirely based on the various streaming rights contracts that govern each production and whatnot. The ad-free Hulu has 7 shows keeping intro/outro ads because the current contracts require them (shondaverse, grimm/OUAT, SHIELD and New Girl). I dunno, between watching current shows, what they have exclusive access to (they have some deal with FX and apparently just got the EPIX contract that Netflix let go), and the Criterion stuff (never had a problem on any console) I'm pretty ok with still having ads for $8/mo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, the music industry is trying every way it can to get the most while giving up the least. Touring/live performances and merch seem like the only real avenues for artists making any money at all.

Yeah, from every band I've ever known or talked to, they make all their money touring, hell a lot would give their albums away for free or dirt cheap if they didn't have to pay back the label.
Steven Albini wrote a great article about how much of a scam signing to a label is.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls (1978)

Finally, a movie for me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

wyoming posted:

Yeah, from every band I've ever known or talked to, they make all their money touring, hell a lot would give their albums away for free or dirt cheap if they didn't have to pay back the label.
Steven Albini wrote a great article about how much of a scam signing to a label is.

Finally, a movie for me.

Vampyros Lesbos(1971)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Call Me Charlie posted:

This looks similar to Fandor in selection. I may have to check it out as well (although I'm accumulating a lot of these streaming services...)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

wyoming posted:

Finally, a movie for me.

I appreciate the directness of Dead Kids (1981)

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
You guys forgot to mention this regarding Hulu no ads.

quote:

Will all shows and movies be commercial free?

In response to feedback from our viewers, we started offering a commercial-free experience on Hulu. For a small number of shows, however, we have not obtained the rights to stream commercial free and they are not included in our No Commercials plan. You can still easily access these shows with a short commercial before and after each episode with no interruptions during the episode. Specific shows that still have commercials accessible through the No Commercials plan will be noted throughout the signup, switching, and playback experience. While the list of shows may change, these shows are currently: Grey's Anatomy, Once Upon A Time, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Scandal, Grimm, New Girl, and How To Get Away With Murder.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Evil Vin posted:

You guys forgot to mention this regarding Hulu no ads.

OH MY GOD NOT A 15 SECOND COMMERCIAL AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW

wyoming posted:

That article is actually full of disinformation and really only applies to bands who sign to a major label and then proceed to spend their money like idiots rather than being sensible about it.

Almost every good band is on an indie label or releases their own albums these days. There's a reason labels like Matador, Drag City, Southern Lord, etc. are still around posting profits, and the bands are still making money (since vinyl is still a thing, mostly).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

precision posted:

OH MY GOD NOT A 15 SECOND COMMERCIAL AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW

If you're paying an extra 4 bucks for their no commercial service, shouldn't that mean no comercials at all?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Rob posted:

If you're paying an extra 4 bucks for their no commercial service, shouldn't that mean no comercials at all?

I signed up for it and it specifically says the service is "interruption free", not "commercial free".

Parachute
May 18, 2003
^^Yeah that

Are you paying for "no ads" or are you paying for less ads and exclusive content?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I watched Life Aquatic on my PS3 a few nights ago, so I'm pretty certain it's only XBox's Hulu Plus that's gimped.

Yeah, that seems to be it. That really sucks. Like I said, I quit Hulu over six months ago. I wonder if they ever fixed it, because I would love full access to Criterion on a TV without having to pay for a new device.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

I signed up for it and it specifically says the service is "interruption free", not "commercial free".

Ahahah.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I just signed up. 15 seconds before the show is nothing compared to the poo poo you used to have to deal with. I'm excited, I hope I don't run into much of the "use another device" stuff. With netflix losing epix, I'm not so sure about them- not that epix is a treasure trove of greatness but if netflix really is wanting to put a focus on their own content, that's fine but I don't really care for most of what they've released.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

netflix really is wanting to put a focus on their own content, that's fine but I don't really care for most of what they've released.

Have they indicated that at all? I don't watch much netflix original stuff either and if that's the direction they're going I might as well cancel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Yaws posted:

Have they indicated that at all? I don't watch much netflix original stuff either and if that's the direction they're going I might as well cancel.

It looks like they're moving in the direction of culling their contracts with film distributors, so that they can focus more on original content than existing film/tv.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34110968

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I still think netflix is a good deal at the current price because they still carry a ton of poo poo I want to watch but I can't really recall any of their original content/exclusives that have appealed to me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I have a Hulu account so whatever, but this is still disappointing.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I still think netflix is a good deal at the current price because they still carry a ton of poo poo I want to watch but I can't really recall any of their original content/exclusives that have appealed to me.

I liked:

Marvel's Daredevil
BoJack Horseman
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
Arrested Development
Trailer Park Boys
A bunch of standup specials
The Battered Bastards of Baseball
Creep
Tig
Peaky Blinders (exclusive in US)
etc

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Finishing up The Shield.

I'm surprised, but I feel bad for Shane.

5 episodes to go.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Anyone else check out Two Days, One Night? I watched it last weekend on Netflix, thought it was a really engaging drama. It strained my credulity when she was allowed out of the hospital the same night she attempted to overdose on benzos tho... but its a movie and I'm not going to sweat it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mysterious frankie posted:

she was allowed out of the hospital the same night she attempted to overdose on benzos tho...

she'll just wake up 2 weeks later with a grand piano she doesn't remember buying, no harm done

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Finishing up The Shield.

5 episodes to go.

Prepare for one of the most stuck landings in the history of shows sticking the landing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

she'll just wake up 2 weeks later with a grand piano she doesn't remember buying, no harm done

Naw, you're thinking of Soviet Voodoo Powder. In this instance, my bideo game training informs me she would be really good at taking down Sniper Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Finishing up The Shield.

5 episodes to go.

The urge to say something here is so strong, but I worry anything I'd say could spoil one of the most perfect t.v. show endings ever. Like, even if I said I would be curious to know if you still feel that way after the finale, that would probably be saying too much.