Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Thank god it wasn't just me. I ordered a new Moto 360 and first it said the card was no good, then when I put in a different one it said the item wasn't available.

I've ordered the loving phone four times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I've ordered the loving phone four times now.

Well the ship date for the watch wasn't until the 29th before they cancelled it so maybe I'll just wait until it's actually available.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Hughmoris posted:

Any word when the new Moto X might start popping up on Amazon or at Best Buy?

They are up for preorder but won't ship until the 9th
http://amzn.to/1NZZ9ZG

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lowcrabdiet posted:

I guess if Moto cancels my loving order again I'll have to goddamn settle for a 32 gig model from Amazon.

E: Aaaand there's the cancellation. I guess the white and bamboo 32GB model is okay.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 3, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Haven't had an issue with my order so far. Ordered last night and confirmed this morning. Black/Titanium/Royal Blue/64gb. Right now they are saying it arrives on the 16th which works out well as I will be back from vacation then. I'm going to hold off on the new 360 for a bit, I'm sure I'll probably order, but I don't feel the compulsion to preorder that one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FAUXTON posted:

I guess if Moto cancels my loving order again I'll have to goddamn settle for a 32 gig model from Amazon.

E: Aaaand there's the cancellation. I guess the white and bamboo 32GB model is okay.

You have to order it today?

I mean...maybe wait a couple days so they can get their poo poo straightened out. It seems silly to not get the phone you want just so you can press the order button today.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Can anyone pick the White/Champagne Frame and Front for the Moto X Pure? I can select White/Silver and Black/Dark Grey. I'm selecting a 64gb phone.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Has anyone had issues with the wood backs? I heard that the leather collects scratches like pokemon cards, but how about the wood?

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Motorola's site is telling me that my phone has been built already and it's waiting to be shipped out, if I'm reading their "track my stuff" page correctly.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Wylie posted:

Motorola's site is telling me that my phone has been built already and it's waiting to be shipped out, if I'm reading their "track my stuff" page correctly.

Same here, since Tuesday. People have posted on Reddit and the Motorola support forums about waiting days (in some cases a week or more) before their order status goes from "complete" to "in transit." I hope ours don't take that long, but I'm not wholly optimistic.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does the Nexus 6 have a magnetic cover sensor? I placed my N6 on top of my tablet for a second and the screen turned off.

The only thing I can think of is the magnets in the case...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is the nexus 5 2015 going to have the 810 processor or something else?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nmfree posted:

Well, it is Wednesday/Thursday.

I really wish I'd been able to figure out how to to shoehorn "I use my phone like this, any other use is downright horrible" opinions into this graphic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

r0ck0 posted:

808 is the persistent spec being thrown around.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does the Nexus 6 have a magnetic cover sensor? I placed my N6 on top of my tablet for a second and the screen turned off.

The only thing I can think of is the magnets in the case...

I think so, there was a flip case available in the Google Store for a little bit, and it would be weird to have flip case that doesn't turn the screen on when you open it (though this is Google.)

r0ck0 posted:

Current rumors show it having an 808.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I really wish I'd been able to figure out how to to shoehorn "I use my phone like this, any other use is downright horrible" opinions into this graphic.

That's not a daily special though, that's the every day, every page norm. It's this thread's best seller.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I kinda wish Motorola would just come straight out and say ":lol: T-Mobile VoLTE???" so I can stop being tempted to just buy the new X now before the new Nexus 5 comes out.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Didn't the new version of the 810 fix the overheating issues that were a problem with the first version?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

withoutclass posted:

Didn't the new version of the 810 fix the overheating issues that were a problem with the first version?

Turns out all the phones launching with 810 are using the new revision anyway :laffo: and going by the test results, the fix was throttling the new CPU to a slower speed than the thermal throttle on last year's chip.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

lol, apparently that 4K display in the Z5 Premium just presents itself as a 1080p screen to apps and the output gets scaled up. It's not certain there's even a way to use its full resolution. Sure, 4K is completely useless in day-to-day usage, but it's massively disappointing if you hoped to get the highest resolution VR headset part to date.

(Short news article from the leading German computer magazine http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Sony-Z5-Premium-im-VR-Kurztest-Wenn-4K-gar-kein-4K-ist-2803891.html)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Speaking of Marshmallow, I'd really like to know when the Moto X Pure is getting it. Even when the Moto G gets it.

As it is, I doubt my VZW Moto X (2013) will ever get Lollipop.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ilkhan posted:

808 is the persistent spec being thrown around.

I dont know anything about phone processors,except that the 810 is hot garbage, is the 808 good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

Speaking of Marshmallow, I'd really like to know when the Moto X Pure is getting it. Even when the Moto G gets it.

Since we don't really know even with Nexus devices will be getting it, seems like it would be kinda hard to get that timeline from Moto.

quote:

As it is, I doubt my VZW Moto X (2013) will ever get Lollipop.

From impressions elsewhere, that may be for the best.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Interesting article for people who like to get down into the weeds of how android utilizes the increasing core counts that we've been seeing on most phone SoCs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9518/the-mobile-cpu-corecount-debate

I had assumed that core counts above 4 were mostly just marketing since I'm more familiar with Windows desktop applications where only specific, compute-intensive tasks (the kind that you would basically never do on a phone) really see much of an advantage of high core counts. It turns out that typical Android applications are better at taking advantage of these many core SoCs than I would have expected.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

lowcrabdiet posted:

Thanks! Picked up the 16GB with no tax, free overnight shipping, and it ships a week before Motomaker!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks! Picked up the 16GB with no tax, free overnight shipping, and it ships a week before Motomaker!

Motomaker might be shipping any day now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Super Dude posted:

Motomaker might be shipping any day now.

Yeah, I'm starting to think my 9/16 date was overly pessimistic. Status zoomed past building phone and is sitting at "Order Complete" at this point. It's possible it will sit there for the next few days and not ship until after Labor day, but I'm half expecting a shipping notification this afternoon.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

starry skies above posted:

The 2014 Moto X I picked up for $180 off of ebay arrived -- some company was selling a whole bunch of unlocked Verizon versions. I have at&t and just slipped my sim card in (which I had to modify with scissors from micro to nano.)

Verdict: I'm very happy I made this purchase. The only reason I bought it was because I had broken my 2013 Nexus 5 which didn't seem cost effective to repair.

It's the 16 GB version, and the only issue I have is that it's showing only 10 GB available after it downloaded some of my basic files and simple apps (facebook, twitter, etc.) Not sure what's hogging all the other storage.

The device feels more substantial and less plastic than the Nexus 5. It feels good in the hand.

It is, in short, a work of art, and I for one welcome the feel of its weight against my thighs in the years ahead.

Ended up getting one of these as well. Love the phone, but battery life been an issue. I installed my usual apps and updated to 5.1 yesterday. Today I'm down to 32% after about 6 hours of use, over 2/3rds of that as standby time. Phone has been pretty warm with light to moderate use as well. Also, like 15 min of puzzle and dragons burned through 10%. On my Note 2, I could do an hour of PAD for like 5%. I know the battery on this thing isn't the largest, but this seems ridiculous for something that, by their description, should essentially have a new battery.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

KoB posted:

I dont know anything about phone processors,except that the 810 is hot garbage, is the 808 good?

Without going into spec sheet warrior BS, the 808 is ok but not worth upgrading to from a 2014 or even 2013 flagship if you have one. Either way it doesn't matter because right now questions like vvv

r0ck0 posted:

are asking the magic 8-ball right now, we only have conjecture like "LG's worked with the 808 before on their LG G4" to guess which Snapdragon is being used.

this should be obvious, but if an X Pure or something is appealing to you right now, then get it. otherwise, wait and see. Phone processors are only half the story with Android anyways, Google's still in Marshmallow development and that's what will actually be in your face for the Nexus or anything (with carrier/vendor modifications) later next year.

(I am still holding out for the 620:pray:)

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 3, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MaxxBot posted:

Interesting article for people who like to get down into the weeds of how android utilizes the increasing core counts that we've been seeing on most phone SoCs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9518/the-mobile-cpu-corecount-debate

I had assumed that core counts above 4 were mostly just marketing since I'm more familiar with Windows desktop applications where only specific, compute-intensive tasks (the kind that you would basically never do on a phone) really see much of an advantage of high core counts. It turns out that typical Android applications are better at taking advantage of these many core SoCs than I would have expected.

You can use as many threads as you like, and you're actively encouraged to do anything intensive off the main thread, so it's common to spin off threaded tasks all the time - and if you're doing one, it's easy enough to use a thread pool and do several. Plus lots of common libraries like Picasso (which loads images and creates thumbnails - think something like the Play Music library) use lots of threads under the hood, so the average app can use a lot of threads without having to be aware of it.

And speed and efficiency are important on mobile devices, so even without having intensive computation tasks to do, burning through the work quickly on separate cores has a few benefits (like getting the hell off the wireless radio)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Without going into spec sheet warrior BS, the 808 is ok but not worth upgrading to from a 2014 or even 2013 flagship if you have one.

Not necessarily true. Battery is a big thing. The 805 did NOT have an integrated LTE modem, it's a separate add on chip. Additionally, the 808 underwent a die shrink compared to the 805. Those two combined leads to a decent amount of power savings. LTE on the 808 is no more power hungry than WiFi. This will become even more apparent when Marshmallow is released and devices can deep sleep. Under deep sleep, the most significant power draw is going to come from the modem stack as it listens for priority push notifications. So, having a power efficient LTE modem is going to lead to even more significant power savings under deep sleep.

So, from a performance perspective the 808 isn't a significant jump over the 805. However, the 808 is a much more polished SoC.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

bull3964 posted:

Not necessarily true. Battery is a big thing. The 805 did NOT have an integrated LTE modem, it's a separate add on chip. Additionally, the 808 underwent a die shrink compared to the 805. Those two combined leads to a decent amount of power savings. LTE on the 808 is no more power hungry than WiFi. This will become even more apparent when Marshmallow is released and devices can deep sleep. Under deep sleep, the most significant power draw is going to come from the modem stack as it listens for priority push notifications. So, having a power efficient LTE modem is going to lead to even more significant power savings under deep sleep.

So, from a performance perspective the 808 isn't a significant jump over the 805. However, the 808 is a much more polished SoC.

:agreed: but bringing battery efficiency into phone quality speculation also brings up the unknown of what unannounced phones' battery capacities are.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

You have to order it today?

I mean...maybe wait a couple days so they can get their poo poo straightened out. It seems silly to not get the phone you want just so you can press the order button today.

What's the backorder date up to now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

What's the backorder date up to now?

Still appears to be mid September. I just ran through a random build and it was the 17th.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Still appears to be mid September. I just ran through a random build and it was the 17th.

It was giving me the 12th on the first order, seems like the backlog is creeping upwards, which is why I wanted to order quickly. After how bad the N5 rolled out, I'm not giving any manufacturer the benefit of doubt.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FAUXTON posted:

It was giving me the 12th on the first order, seems like the backlog is creeping upwards, which is why I wanted to order quickly. After how bad the N5 rolled out, I'm not giving any manufacturer the benefit of doubt.

Well, bad roll outs are kind of par for the course with Google.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Rusty Kettle posted:

Has anyone had issues with the wood backs? I heard that the leather collects scratches like pokemon cards, but how about the wood?

Scratches are fine, but I hate how slippery the wood back is. Would definitely just get a soft rubber back on it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="449772544"]
Scratches are fine, but I hate how slippery the wood back is. Would definitely just get a soft rubber back on it.

Yeah I have the bamboo back and I love the look and durability of it. It's drat slippery though and I wish I had a rubberized back like I have on my 2013. Speaking of, whats wrong with Lollipop on the 2013 Moto X? I haven't experienced any issues but people in the thread keep mentioning how supposedly bad it is.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Does the quick charge charger come with a Zenfone 2, or is that a seperate purchase? If separate, whats a solid charger to get?

Semi-related, the only big downside that has prevented me from getting a Zenfone 2 is the bloatware. I know that you can uninstall and disable roughly 50% of it, but does the rest that can be hidden in the app drawer run automatically, and how much of the battery does it usually chomp away at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
is the 2015 Moto G (The model with more ram) a decent upgrade from the 2013 Moto X?

I'm trying to decide weather its worth it to save some money or avoid potential aggravation by spending more on the Moto X Pure.