Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There are special cars driving around that you can hijack and bring back for 500+ scrap each, you get regular injections of 20 scrap per liberated camp and there's big scrap inside storms - those are pretty much your primary scrap sources from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Son of Rodney posted:

So where do I actually get significant scraps? I thought after doing some graffa upgrades it'd pick up, but it's like ... "2 extra scraps" and that's just lame.

Boxes during storms, and cars with the gear symbol. The gear symbol cars have to be driven to a stronghold and pay out a lot of scrap.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Son of Rodney posted:

So where do I actually get significant scraps? I thought after doing some graffa upgrades it'd pick up, but it's like ... "2 extra scraps" and that's just lame.

Do not become addicted to scrap, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence.

But yeah scrap is a bit rough to come by especially earlier on. Best advice I can give is keep clearing out the little oil strongholds, once you do buddies move in and give you free scrap every now and then.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
You'll also find the cash cars in those oil strongholds, usually parked near the front. I always make sure to drive them out next to the magnum opus so they don't get blown up accidently or despawn when the camp is cleared.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Didn't know about those cars! Thanks guys.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

I accidentally smoked one of the sidequest givers out in the world with the car because I couldn't brake in time, and then it gave me "quest complete: mercy kill" :stare:

Yes, one of them literally begs you to mercy kill him. You got lucky it was that one.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Screenshot time:

easter egg, Max said "what is this?" when you view it

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 3, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wafflecopper posted:

When stopping to loot a small camp, is it normal for an enemy car to come flying over some rocks, spiral out of control though the air, and explode in a ball of fire without any input from the player? Because that just happened :stare:

It happens occasionally.

Throw away any idea of realism and embrace the fire and explosions.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wafflecopper posted:

When stopping to loot a small camp, is it normal for an enemy car to come flying over some rocks, spiral out of control though the air, and explode in a ball of fire without any input from the player? Because that just happened :stare:

It also could have been a BoomBuggy, and yeah, those guys explode at the drop of a hat. If you have the chance to choose one of them for a death race don't do it!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
NPC cars also tend to immediately detonate if you flip them upside down, so scrape them up towards ramps at every opporutnity.

Got the final V6 upgrade, can't wait to try it out :3:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, what? The hood ornaments actually influence your car's stats? I've just been using the happiest-looking skull :stare:

Yup, it just doesn't tell you the stats when you pick them up. Right now I'm rocking a death ram skull for extra attack at the front, and the Gryo Captain helmet at the back for extra handling.

Was racing up a cliffside road, passed two vehicles going the other way. One of them is the little truck filled with 4 War Boys ready to board. The horn blows, they screech into a skid turn behind me, and flip over a rock and they all die in a fiery inferno and I never touched them. God I love the physics in this game.

I'm on my third day of constant play, and STILL haven't made it to see Gutgash, and STILL have only done 5 story missions. Having way too much fun in this world.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Boo. Gave Jeet's the last 1500 scrap he needed to have a complete stronghold, and got nothing for it. No new graphical update, no increased scrap bonus, nothing. Just a challenge completed.

Coulda used that scrap to make the Opus better!

And yeah, Scrap starts out bad, but gets super easy to get later on. If you get all the camps in Jeet's area alone, you are getting something like 260-300 scrap every few minutes. Get all the ones in Gutgash's territory, and suddenly you are getting closer to 500 scrap ever few minutes. Add on that most of those camps have Scrambulances that give you a free 500ish scrap. Oh, and if a storm hits, just harpoon break 5ish boxes, then wait in your car for it to pass near the scrap payout. Each bit of scrap gives 100, so you can easily bring in 1500+ scrap for a few minutes work.

Also scavenging locations in Gutgashs territory tend to give 10-15 per pickup as well, so I assume in Pink Eye's area/Gastown the payoff for picking up basic scrap is even higher. It's not a lot, but you can easily clear 5-10 scavenging locations in 30 minutes or so, which would give you a few basic scrap upgrades.

moms friend from work
Mar 28, 2010
I'M THE WURST
Mad Max has bucked the the trend of pointless pre-order DLC for me. The ripper is my favorite chassis now that its been unlocked. The base model looks like a grandmother's sedan.

On the approach to fight stump grinder chum bucket started yelling about a big storm coming in, I thought he was squawking about the little dust devils until I turned around and almost had my eardrums blown out by the apocalyptic roar of a dust storm. The game warned me to find cover but damnit I didn't come this far for no paint. Stump grinder and I beat each other half to death while his war boys got smashed by debris and the flame cannons. This game is like a constant heavy metal music video and I can't stop playing. :perfect:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 377 days!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, what? The hood ornaments actually influence your car's stats? I've just been using the happiest-looking skull :stare:

if you strap half a tricycle to your bumper you go faster

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TRON JEREMY posted:

if you strap half a tricycle to your bumper you go faster

Makes perfect logical sense. The cooler your car is, the faster it goes in Mad Max's universe.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Xaerael posted:

I'm considering picking this up due to how much people are calling bullshit on reviewer opinions. Someone compare it to another game or two, and help me decide.

Mercenaries 2 with hilarious villains set in Australia and the car combat is fun.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wafflecopper posted:

You witnessed him, surely? :colbert:

Played for an hour, alt tabbed right now, this game is ridiculously fun holy poo poo.
And what an AMAZING port, it runs incredibly well maxed out on my modest rig with my 750ti and i5.

It probably has the best driving I've ever seen in an open world game, it's just fun to drive around to no where, I doubt I'll ever use fast travel really... unless something changes to make driving everywhere not so pleasant.(besides the occasional raiding party on my rear end)

The melee combat doesn't make much sense for Max himself but I can't bring myself to give a poo poo cause it's visceral and fun to watch, freeflow combat is probably my favorite trend in gaming so far.

The story, from what little I've gathered so far, isn't amazing but it's Mad Max as heck and thus doesn't really need to be.
The world has gone mad and you're trying to survive in it, that's all one needs for a Mad Max story.

I can certainly see where some reviewers wouldn't care for most of the game cause it really just reuses mechanics from most Ubisoft games and just adds its own post apocalyptic twist to it.
Luckily for me, I love the Ubisoft system of collectathons and conquering towers and all that poo poo.

Good poo poo, will be playing this for a while.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gosh it feels good to lower threat and help build up a stronghold. All the people are starting to say stuff like "I got so used to actually dying that I don't know what to do now" and "Whoa, I think I might actually make it". :3:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I’m glad I came here to see how people actually playing the game like it since the reviews bummed me out. Having said that I’m currently playing Witcher 3, and everyone flipped out about that game which to me feels repetitive as hell, Geralt’s horse is retarded, he himself sort of just floats around, and the interface is annoying as poo poo to deal with. I feel Mad Max will be a nice change of pace.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I do however REALLY wish the game would let you climb more stuff like ledges and cliff faces, it can be annoying when you fall over the side of a small ledge and can't just friggin climb back up and you have to go all the way around or repeatedly jump and hope you sort of glitch back up.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The apocalypse stripped everyone of their upper body strength.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Deakul posted:

You witnessed him, surely? :colbert:

Speaking of witnessing, I tossed a War Boy over the edge of a camp built on a cliffside, and he screamed, "Witness me!" as he fell. I thought it was a nice touch until the guys left standing all yelled, "WITNESS!" in response... execept for the one guy that shouted, "My Warbuddy!" in the most hurt sounding tone.

Depending on how Fallout 4 is, this just might be my GotY.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Max still has his leg brace from when he was kneecapped in the first movie. It makes sense that he's not doing an Assassins Creed impression.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

SlightlyMad posted:

I have the same graphics card and the game looks just fine for me. I run it on a 1280*1024 monitor, so I guess you might have a different one? I have the settings on high, so the card can definitely run the game despite being below the specs. I upgraded the NVIDIA drivers just before I started playing and have had no problems at all. Whatever the problem is on your end, keep checking the forums since some others have had the same issue. I'm sure they'll find the cause eventually.

I don't care what reviewers say, personally. Good word of mouth from players says more anyways. The game is good if you're not burned out on the genre, and I myself am not. I hope the game sells well, because it would be nice to see the devs get rewarded for good work. And sequels might be nice too.

Verifying the cache integrity fixed it and now it works fine. Yeah running it on my 650 works fine, I turned off a bunch of rich person settings like soft particles and stuff, but the game looks beautiful even without them and runs like a dream.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tehan posted:

Max still has his leg brace from when he was kneecapped in the first movie. It makes sense that he's not doing an Assassins Creed impression.

one of the first things i noticed

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Tehan posted:

The actual inclusion of a jump button confuses the poo poo out of me. I've needed it about 3 times in 10+ hours of game play. Why the gently caress didn't they just design around not having it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Mercenaries 2 with hilarious villains set in Australia and the car combat is fun.

Sold.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Picture time~

E:

Daztek fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 3, 2015

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Random poo poo from Reddit:

1. Location of a unique looking car to add to the stockpile that should be fairly easy to get early in the game - http://imgur.com/a/x3UcC

2. The co-op movie editor is really good guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPMva0IZHw

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Not caught up on the thread, so this might have been addressed already, but regardless:
I ran into a bug where I couldn't open the map. I'm on PC, so it's Tab. Looting scrap seems to fix it, but you have to actually pick it up yourself, cleanup crew doesn't count.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

BexGu posted:

2. The co-op movie editor is really good guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPMva0IZHw

That's the kind of word of mouth advertising that this game has going for it.

Joe Gillian posted:

I made a Fury Road SweetFX+Reshade preset.

Here are some screens:

Here is the download.

EDIT: Completely re-did the colors. Originally had too much blue, and sand kicking up/sun made it impossible to see the ground.

How/Where do I put this file for Mad Max on PC/Steam?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I won't get the Ripper dlc anymore if I buy the game now, right? Importantly, the PSN digital version of the game.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I found some friends.

We had a party.

:stare:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

JFC posted:

How/Where do I put this file for Mad Max on PC/Steam?

Copy the contents of either version and paste it into the main Mad Max folder.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 3, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Someone said it earlier, but the Cleanup Crew picks up the scrap from random encounters with cars.

You get it, then you smash all day and never get out and pick up all the scrap. It's wonderful.

It's too bad your Griffa points towards bonus scrap don't apply to cleanup crew collection :(

Also, anyone found The Twelve yet? I really want it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I just had a physics glitch. See if you can spot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo9qqdK2zw

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It seems like a lot of these Top Dogs would do well to not have their throne room lined with flamethrowers and/or explosive barrels. Like, I get the idea, but it would probably work better if you knew your own defenses and stop running into your own flamethrowers or barreling down on that guy who just walked into your camp and is helpfully standing next to an explosive barrel.

Edit: Also, hiding an insignia and 2 scrap behind the top dog event is really mean to completionists :v:

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 3, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Does chum think dog food cans are full of food made from dogs?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

wit posted:

Does chum think dog food cans are full of food made from dogs?

If you haven't noticed Chum is bat poo poo insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Max's leg brace squeaks sometimes, or at least it does early in the game.

• Locked thread