Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Is this the game that had the stripper chick with the dark secret that would make players feel bad or whatever? Someone just spoil that part for me thanks. Is it that she is one of the series' vaginabomb survivors?

On one hand I want to play MGSV, on the other hand one of the worst parts of any MGS games is Kojima not shutting up about child soldiers and judging from Ground Zeroes he's added rape victims to that list. Kojima is not exactly 'subtle' when it comes to these topics, to put it mildly.

I'll probably get it months later when it's on sale and I'm sure I'll love the actual gameplay, but I'm not sure about the rest. Why can't every one of your games be like MGS3, Kojima?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm definitely not going to spoil myself on the end for a game I haven't even started playing yet, but I don't see how cutting even "completed" content translates into bad design work. Every form of art and media has revision. Authors write chapters of books that get cut. Directors film scenes for films and then realize they need to cut them. Not including every single thing you made just because you made it is arguably the sign of a better product.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She's photosynthetic and can only survive when she's wearing little clothing, because otherwise she would suffocate. She's like that because of parasites and she was given parasites because Ishmael threw chemicals at her in the hospital and then set her on fire to save Venom's life.

The real question is, The End in MGS 3 was also photosynthetic and he wore clothes just fine, albeit clothes made of tree leaves.
This is the stupidest loving explanation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To use a non-game example:

Aliens cuts several fairly critical scenes from the story. One of the biggest of these is the reveal that Ripley had a daughter who died while Ripley was trapped in hypersleep. This one scene drastically changes the context of the story by re-framing the main character's motivation. It is such a well-regarded scene that it is basically taken as canon (and indeed you play as that daughter in Alien: Isolation, to bring this back to games.) It's entirely possible to argue this content shouldn't have been cut, that it improves the story, and that since it was already fully-filmed it should have been in the final product. It, however, was cut none the less. There are major scenes in a lot of films which were altered or cut because they couldn't get special effects working or an actor was injured or it just didn't work when filmed. For games this goes even further because there are tons of games with content cut simply because they couldn't make it fun to play or couldn't get the coding working or whatever.

Something you feel would have improved the product being cut is a thing where you can go "Well, that would have made it better" but it isn't inherently them ripping things out for no reason.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Fun fact about game development: a lot of things about literally every game ever made doesn't make it into the final game.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Excellent non-anime visual novel The 39 Steps is free at Indiegala. A fine '30s spy story, very well told and the visuals (especially the landscapes) really enhance the experience. Pretty decent voice acting, too.

It is a bit Scottish, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

anilEhilated posted:

This is the stupidest loving explanation.

Metal gear solid 2 had a lady who couldn't die because she had a magnet in her body that was so powerful it ricocheted bullets, turned grenades into duds, exploded missiles out of range of contact, and not a single person thought "hey why don't I just walk up and hit her with something". It's pretty much par for the course as far as freakshow bosses.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ekster posted:

On one hand I want to play MGSV, on the other hand one of the worst parts of any MGS games is Kojima not shutting up about child soldiers and judging from Ground Zeroes he's added rape victims to that list. Kojima is not exactly 'subtle' when it comes to these topics, to put it mildly.

I'll probably get it months later when it's on sale and I'm sure I'll love the actual gameplay, but I'm not sure about the rest. Why can't every one of your games be like MGS3, Kojima?

It's not rape, but it is a stupid loving attempt to justify having a conventionally attractive woman in skimpy outfit.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

MGS3 has a literal bee man called THE PAAAAAIN who uses bees to protect himself from bullets and grenades.

The game offers no explanation as far as I remember. Normally Kojima would explain everything with nanomachines but they don't even exist in that game.

MGS3 is an amazing game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's an explanation for Pain in the novelization, and it's loving stupendous:

He has a very high pain tolerance, so he just sat and let a bunch of bees sting him, over and over and over, until the hornets started mistaking him for one of them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Metal gear solid 2 had a lady who couldn't die because she had a magnet in her body that was so powerful it ricocheted bullets, turned grenades into duds, exploded missiles out of range of contact, and not a single person thought "hey why don't I just walk up and hit her with something". It's pretty much par for the course as far as freakshow bosses.
Yeah, but it's inconsistent. Didn't MGS3 had a guy who suffered from the same thing and didn't have to run around half-naked?
The thing is it's extremely obvious they started with "we need a stripper assassin" and then tried to come up with some kind of explanation.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 3, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

There's an explanation for Pain in the novelization, and it's loving stupendous:

He has a very high pain tolerance, so he just sat and let a bunch of bees sting him, over and over and over, until the hornets started mistaking him for one of them.

Sounds legit. Time to go give it a shot!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

MGSV is good and fun, hth.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I am trying to enjoy Phantom Pain in peace, please be careful about spoilers, tia

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Wasn't that mentioned in a radio call to your support team in MGS 3? I've never read the novelization but I'm sure I heard it before.

Although MGS V spoilers: MGS V kind of retconned how he and the rest of the Cobra Unit gained their powers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, but it's inconsistent. Didn't MGS3 had a guy who suffered from the same thing and didn't have to dress like a stripper?
The thing is it's extremely obvious they started with "we need a stripper assassin" and then tried to come up with some kind of explanation.

Yes and yes, but so what

edit: change of phrase

Kaubocks posted:

I am trying to enjoy Phantom Pain in peace, please be careful about spoilers, tia

Also this jesus christ people

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 3, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Excellent non-anime visual novel The 39 Steps is free at Indiegala. A fine '30s spy story, very well told and the visuals (especially the landscapes) really enhance the experience. Pretty decent voice acting, too.

It is a bit Scottish, though.

Everyone go get this, because The 39 Steps is fantastic. It's set up so that you can go straight through the main story if you want, or you can linger in different areas to get extra info on the characters and setting.

CJacobs posted:

Did they ever explain if her buddy in MGS2 was a literal vampire or not?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

Everyone go get this, because The 39 Steps is fantastic. It's set up so that you can go straight through the main story if you want, or you can linger in different areas to get extra info on the characters and setting.

MGS 4 explained what Vamp's deal was.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Just nanomachine things.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

iirc the game says he's called 'vamp' not because he's like a vampire but because he's a bisexual seducer. He had a relationship with Fortune's father, the military guy giving the speech on the tanker. I think they explain all of his vampire-like abilities with a crazy backstory (survived some sort of bombing iirc in a church in Romania by drinking the blood of dead people around him) and nanomachines.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I won't buy MGS5 because there's no moment where you have to defeat a boss by unplugging your internet connection or turning on the Steam overlay or something

Missed opportunities

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think about an hour and a half of MGS4 is devoted to explaining Vamp.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think about an hour and a half of MGS4 is devoted to explaining Vamp.

Nanomachines.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ekster posted:

Nanomachines.

I'm reminded of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ekster posted:

Nanomachines.

So yeah, for MGS4 that's an hour and a half.

Needs more "War Economy"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 3, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Drebin's background on the BB women is basically Kojima in a nutshell.

When he starts talking about them I like to pretend that he's just reciting his weird fanfics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're all basically the same story, too. "There was a little girl this one time, who some very tragic things happened to, then they heard/saw an animal, and the emotion they were feeling at that time manifested and they symbolically became the animal and/or psychic. How sad the world is. If only war didn't exist, that thing wouldn't have happened to that girl. War is bad, Snake. War is real bad. Let me go on a whole bunch about how bad war is with that example I just gave you as a jumping-off point. Ok see you next time you need to buy guns from me to support your ongoing war."

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

War. War never changes.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Deakul posted:

War. War never changes.

Killing Floor 2 has a free weekend and a 33% discount.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Deakul posted:

War. War never changes.

But Solid Snake says in the beginning of MGS 4 that war has changed and it's no longer about ideologies but about proxy wars for profits via PMCs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Killing Floor 2 has a free weekend and a 33% discount.
Does it have content yet

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm finally getting into Mad Max and it's really growing on me. I can't help but feel bad that it released on the same day as MGS:V.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But Solid Snake says in the beginning of MGS 4 that war has changed and it's no longer about ideologies but about proxy wars for profits via PMCs.

:ssh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Does it have content yet

6 maps, 6 classes, still some balance issues to work out. It's better now than it was for the last four months!

so ... yes it has content now, but it's definitely not finished yet

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Does it have content yet

If there was only a way you could find out

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Humble Store's Double FIne build-a-bundle is way less cool than the Devolver one :mad:

Steam has broken my fragile human mind. I'm really tempted by Human Revolution for $3.99, even though I know I won't play it until like the winter sale rolls around and it's cheap again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She's photosynthetic and can only survive when she's wearing little clothing, because otherwise she would suffocate. She's like that because of parasites and she was given parasites because Ishmael threw chemicals at her in the hospital and then set her on fire to save Venom's life.

The real question is, The End in MGS 3 was also photosynthetic and he wore clothes just fine, albeit clothes made of tree leaves.

Beautiful. Thanks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

If there was only a way you could find out
There was, i asked

installing first is a loser's game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Humble Store's Double FIne build-a-bundle is way less cool than the Devolver one :mad:
Bethesda's sale is funnier. RAGE for $10 wow what a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think the Double Fine bundle adds up the discount differently from the others so far.

• Locked thread