Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Do you have so little energy in your campaign because you're as tired as we are of having yet another President Bush?"

Congratulations, you talked me into buying a few more raffle tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

anime was right posted:

old people hate bernie sanders

https://vimeo.com/12264459?ref=fb-share

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe most Republican voters aren't racists and their support for Carson isn't some sort of cynical raceplay? I don't like the guy's politics, and I hope he doesn't become President, but this "Cain/Carson is just there to drown out the dogwhistling" stuff gets old. It takes away their agency as legitimate candidates.

Are you going to be saying the same thing about Kanye in 4 years

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

anime was right posted:

the thing is if you look at his numbers he gets very few minority votes, mind you, they're higher than say, huckabee or something, but they're still really abysmal. also hes only that high because the dude hasn't been picked on.
He hasn't gone through discovery, scrutiny and decline yet. There was the one abortion thing, which was a little bit of discovery, but it never hit the scrutiny phase.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

anime was right posted:

the thing is if you look at his numbers he gets very few minority votes, mind you, they're higher than say, huckabee or something, but they're still really abysmal. also hes only that high because the dude hasn't been picked on.

Yea. Carson has enjoyed not being in the spotlight.

I think he'd have real problems if he was more clearly a frontrunner. Which, based on polling, he should be. However, with the clown car and Trump, he's not getting a lot of visibility.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goddamn i love polls

- In a three-way race, it's Hillary 42, Jeb 23, Trump 27
- 43/33/23 Dem/Rep/Ind representation, that's a high number of self-reporting Democrats
- Did they not do a ranked list of GOP candidates? It all seems to be head-to-head polling.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Walker at 3% in that Monmouth poll, wow. When does he start firing his campaign staff?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JT Jag posted:

He hasn't gone through discovery, scrutiny and decline yet. There was the one abortion thing, which was a little bit of discovery, but it never hit the scrutiny phase.

There was his comment about drone strikes as well. One of his problems is that he blames the media for misunderstanding him perfectly.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

EugeneJ posted:

Are you going to be saying the same thing about Kanye in 4 years

I'm really not sure what you mean by that. I'm all for non-career politicians entering into Politics, god knows we could use some more outsiders. Whether or not I'd actually vote for the man is another matter, I have no idea what Kanye West's politics are like.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^^ lmao

railroad terror posted:

Walker at 3% in that Monmouth poll, wow. When does he start firing his campaign staff?

Money is more important than poll numbers in making a decision like that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Aliquid posted:

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/32...f650f4bcc3a.pdf

Interesting notes:

- Only 9% undecided, holy poo poo
- I didn't think Trump would break 30%, but here we are
- Kasich and Bush both lost support, which I thought at least Kasich could hold steady. The moderate, establishment vote is now (with Rubio) at a hefty 15%. lol
- Walker is in freefall, I thought he had a good 5% floor but nope
- A solid two-thirds don't want a candidate with prior government experience

chaos reigns

I'm not sure where the point of divergence was that pushed us into this most amusing of alternate timelines but praise Jesus.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea. Carson has enjoyed not being in the spotlight.

I think he'd have real problems if he was more clearly a frontrunner. Which, based on polling, he should be. However, with the clown car and Trump, he's not getting a lot of visibility.

yeah, like i think trump will just sit at the top while everyone else does the whole rollercoaster thing for a while, eventually landing on an establishment candidate or trump. the second carson has to actually do anything that people see hes going to fall because he's pretty bumbly. that said, if he got someone to help him on his speaking skills/issues he could hold a while? but i dont think hell do that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Narciss posted:

I have no idea what Kanye West's politics are like.

Day one medal of freedom for Beyoncé

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

I'm really not sure what you mean by that. I'm all for non-career politicians entering into Politics, god knows we could use some more outsiders. Whether or not I'd actually vote for the man is another matter, I have no idea what Kanye West's politics are like.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Narciss posted:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe most Republican voters aren't racists

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa awww you.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

AssassinPrincess posted:

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa awww you.

And yet I've encountered more leftists in this thread saying "Browns" than I ever have in real life.

----------------

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Forums Terrorist posted:

lol at Jebmentum's Joementum's prediction that Rand has more of a chance than Trump

He's not wrong. Trump is not going to win the nomination with a ceiling of 30%, no organization, no fundraising, no endorsements and no party support.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Narciss posted:

I have no idea what Kanye West's politics are like.

The Best

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think that a lot of people who have views that are clearly based on racial prejudice will support Carson as a candidate.

Because he is one of the good ones.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Mitt Romney posted:

He's not wrong. Trump is not going to win the nomination with a ceiling of 30%, no organization, no fundraising, no endorsements and no party support.

You realize he's at 30% now and no GOP candidates have even dropped out yet. You don't think he can grab some voters from Cruz or Walker?

----------------

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Narciss posted:

And yet I've encountered more leftists in this thread saying "Browns" than I ever have in real life.

That'll happen when you never leave the basement.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Xenophon posted:

Meanwhile

What a loving retard.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Narciss posted:

Listen, there's a lot of NFL fans around here.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Narciss posted:

You realize he's at 30% now and no GOP candidates have even dropped out yet. You don't think he can grab some voters from Cruz or Walker?

30% in September means nothing and it's infinitely more likely that Cruz/Bush/Walker siphon votes from him. There is a ceiling to Trump's support.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

AssassinPrincess posted:

That'll happen when you never leave the basement.

Hmm maybe that, or maybe people on the left get downright vicious about race when their beliefs are attacked. Take a look at the Dems calling Carson a race traitor or uncle Tom because he has the temerity to tell them "we (the Afro-American community) don't want your charity."

----------------

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mitt Romney posted:

30% in September means nothing and it's infinitely more likely that Cruz/Bush/Walker siphon votes from him. There is a ceiling to Trump's support.

We've been saying that for the last few months and every time we say he's hit it he's surprised us.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Listen, there's a lot of NFL fans around here.

uh oh

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Mitt Romney posted:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

Hmm maybe that, or maybe people on the left get downright vicious about race when their beliefs are attacked. Take a look at the Dems calling Carson a race traitor or uncle Tom because he has the temerity to tell them "we (the Afro-American community) don't want your charity."

Since when does Ben Carson speak on behalf of the black community

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I can't wait for president's trump election with all the pundits going "Who would've thought? Nobody could've seen this coming! (oh god oh god please don't fire the useless lot of us)"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 22, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EugeneJ posted:

Literally My Black Friend.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Narciss posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there any elected Dems, or anyone of any authority who have called Carson a race traitor or Uncle Tom? If so, can you please cite?

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Narciss posted:

Haha, look at you, trying to have an argument.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

EugeneJ posted:

Considering how seriously people seem to take other self-appointed community leaders like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton (who have done nothing but 'community organize'. Carson is an incredibly accomplished Neurosurgeon), I think it's fair to ask that Carson is given the same due.

----------------

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

There's a sizable conservative black community who would come out in force in support of Carson, as long as he is able to toe the line of "black people share blame/black people are solely to blame, for their own problems"

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Almost NONE of Carson's supporters give a poo poo that he's black. They like that he's self-made, nice, Christian, and not-GOP establishment, and not Trump.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Excelzior posted:

I can't wait for president's trump election with all the pundits going "Who would've thought? Nobody could've seen this coming! (oh god oh god please don't fire the useless lot of us)"

"I don't know how Reagan won, nobody I know voted for him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Narciss posted:

Considering how seriously people seem to take other self-appointed community leaders like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton (who have done nothing but 'community organize'. Carson is an incredibly accomplished Neurosurgeon), I think it's fair to ask that Carson is given the same due.

so what you're saying is a community representative is not representative of a community.

• Locked thread