Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Platystemon posted:

Surely those are telegraph wires.

That's what they look like to me. Still didn't stop the initial "holy poo poo" reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

No, but it's good and cool to be jaded and emotionally unaffected by witnessing human death, so I guess you are cooler than me. I apologize to the thread for still retaining some semblance of empathy.

I'm with ya man.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Surely those are telegraph wires.

yeah, I think you're right. Still a cool picture.

*Something something up-time*

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

crankybastard
Jan 4, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

OSHA?
OSHA!

-A sad gif-

JB50 posted:

I like to think the guy fell over and is alive but behind the container where we cant see him. It does seem it hit the truck and then roll forward a little bit.

Keep hope alive for container guy!

I wont re-quote it, but I'm pretty sure you see his head pop and spray up onto the trailer in the last few frames. :stonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought he managed to run away.
Kind of late to delete now, seeing as it's been quoted so much.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JB50 posted:

I like to think the guy fell over and is alive but behind the container where we cant see him. It does seem it hit the truck and then roll forward a little bit.

Keep hope alive for container guy!

there's a big dark mark on the top of the container right at the end that wasn't there a few moments before

i'm preeeeeetty sure he didn't make it

e:fb

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I come from the forbidden lands of reddit. Here is what I have gathered:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

That's cool

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

That's cool

Seems pretty safe, unless he walks into that bottom saw blade.

Needs Eyepro and hard hats I suppose.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Minnesota Manatee posted:

I saw this at the grocery store the other day. I used to work at one myself, was even on the "safety committee", so I just had to laugh and take a picture.

The best way to "save for school" is to have your school kid taken out by a pallet when the Cheerios support beams fail.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey posted:

That's cool

That's work at the cube farm for ya

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Holy poo poo it's like a sandcastle falling apart.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Don't you just loving hate when a guy leaves a job half finished?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Baldbeard posted:

The best way to "save for school" is to have your school kid taken out by a pallet when the Cheerios support beams fail.

Milk can't melt Cheerios beams.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Minnesota Manatee posted:

I saw this at the grocery store the other day. I used to work at one myself, was even on the "safety committee", so I just had to laugh and take a picture.

Alright since this was quoted on the last page and I haven't seen anybody precise it, this is a plastic pallet with a cardboard storage display. The pallet is 40"x48", a quick google nets a weight of 30lb but this seems a bit high from experience (I've been working in large retail surfaces for 10+ years). It can hurt and cause small cuts if it falls just right on your foot, but this is no CHEP or EUROPE wood pallet which can crush tissue. The cardboard display will be an annoyance at worst if it falls.

It was probably forgotten there which is pretty stupid in itself but it's no real danger. Also the general mill's cereal boxes won't let go, you can basically stack full wood pallets of the drat things if they are whole and square, at least 3 high. Now what I should have take pictures of back in the days, was full pallets of 2l coke plastic bottles or cases of 24 packs of beer stacked 3 high (a full pallet is 12 per row x 7 high, comes higher than your shoulder) which was pretty loving dangerous.

I do like that they used empty cardboard trays of cereal boxes to make sure the pallet was propped up perfectly horizontally. A nice touch.

Absorbs Smaller Goons fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 3, 2015

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Literally happened right around the block from my work. That intersection is notorious for busted watermains royally loving up morning commute times.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Literally happened right around the block from my work. That intersection is notorious for busted watermains royally loving up morning commute times.

Used to drive by here every day, then I started taking La Brea because gently caress that intersection and its tranny hookers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Since it has been posted in gif form, here is the video of the shipping container accident

:nws::nms:http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f4d_1373371425 :nws::nms:

He should have stayed in the truck. He would have lived.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Used to drive by here every day, then I started taking La Brea because gently caress that intersection and its tranny hookers.

They'd be easier to pick up if you continued driving that way instead of avoiding them.

Practice OSHA, use condoms.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Since it has been posted in gif form, here is the video of the shipping container accident

Yeah gently caress that, if I was in the same scenario I too would have bolted out of the cab.
That said however I would have not run with the direction that the container was falling, I would have gone towards the rear of the truck, out of the way.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Uthor posted:

They'd be easier to pick up if you continued driving that way instead of avoiding them.

It's a shame they got displaced, it was always fun peoplewatching while grabbing a donut in the wee hours.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Yeah gently caress that, if I was in the same scenario I too would have bolted out of the cab.
That said however I would have not run with the direction that the container was falling, I would have gone towards the rear of the truck, out of the way.

you would've gone wherever your lizard brain told you to

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Alright since this was quoted on the last page and I haven't seen anybody precise it, this is a plastic pallet with a cardboard storage display. The pallet is 40"x48", a quick google nets a weight of 30lb but this seems a bit high from experience (I've been working in large retail surfaces for 10+ years). It can hurt and cause small cuts if it falls just right on your foot, but this is no CHEP or EUROPE wood pallet which can crush tissue. The cardboard display will be an annoyance at worst if it falls.

It was probably forgotten there which is pretty stupid in itself but it's no real danger. Also the general mill's cereal boxes won't let go, you can basically stack full wood pallets of the drat things if they are whole and square, at least 3 high. Now what I should have take pictures of back in the days, was full pallets of 2l coke plastic bottles or cases of 24 packs of beer stacked 3 high (a full pallet is 12 per row x 7 high, comes higher than your shoulder) which was pretty loving dangerous.

I do like that they used empty cardboard trays of cereal boxes to make sure the pallet was propped up perfectly horizontally. A nice touch.

I work with that exact pallet and they have "Tare Wt 19 Lbs" stamped into all of them, so yeah 30 pounds is a bit excessive. I'm still going to have to side with the nearly universal industry practice of firing employees who leave pallets leaning/stacked on things though. That pallet weighs about twice as much as a gallon paint can, which if you dropped on your foot from 3-4 feet off the ground you would expect to be in a cast the next day. Plus, the retail space has different rules because customers (and their children) aren't expected to concentrate on safety issues around them while shopping. That's why you can go hooning around the loading dock on a forklift but need to travel at a walking speed with a spotter when out on the sales floor.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Many places in America that handle containers(ports, container yards, rail yards) require drivers to be out of their cab when mounting/dismounting containers. Wouldn't have mattered in this situation since the empty container handler knocked a box out of the stack before he got around to servicing him.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

An accurate description of his face a few seconds later.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

More particularly, gently caress the person that took the time to HDR that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Many places in America that handle containers(ports, container yards, rail yards) require drivers to be out of their cab when mounting/dismounting containers. Wouldn't have mattered in this situation since the empty container handler knocked a box out of the stack before he got around to servicing him.

Yeah, my brother worked a temp job on a wharf and workers had to be in a 'bunker' type building before unloading started.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A tile blade is barely a "blade" at all. It's basically an abrasive disc. I'm not saying it's safe to cut near your foot like that, but if he catches his foot he'll probably only get a nasty cut and maybe nick a bone, rather than slicing instantly through his foot like you might imagine.

Basically something like this, only a little bigger:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Rule of having one or more thumb: serrated blades cut fleshy stuff like meat and wood, not hard material like rocks.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
It's not quite the same thing, but I've definitely slipped and ground my finger with diamond Dremel bits and all you really get is a little friction burn. If I did the same with a coarse carving burr the flesh there would just ~go away~

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, my brother worked a temp job on a wharf and workers had to be in a 'bunker' type building before unloading started.

thats kind of overkill for container handling.

the main ways that people get killed at container handling facilities are:
1) running into a chassis(the thing that boxes sit on) and taking a steel beam to the grill
2) getting hit by a piece of yard equipment(jockey truck, container lift) or an outside driver

getting mashed by a container is exceedingly rare because of work rules/training/proper supervision and, at some locations, technology that physically prevents a container from passing over properly equipped vehicles or certain areas on the ground. high winds and empty containers are always a risk but work rules generally prohibit working during periods of high winds.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/roywoodjr/status/639642457425100800

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Now what I should have take pictures of back in the days, was full pallets of 2l coke plastic bottles or cases of 24 packs of beer stacked 3 high (a full pallet is 12 per row x 7 high, comes higher than your shoulder) which was pretty loving dangerous.

I used to work at a grocery store, and on the busier holidays you go through Coke and Pepsi products at insane volumes, so much so that there wasn't enough racking to store it in. And so it would be stacked on the floor of the backroom right in front of the full, 3 level racking of pop, typically reaching about 5-6 full pallets tall. I was always morbidly curious about what the PSI of pressure on the bottom set of cans must have been and what they can hold before crumpling. I also recall seeing pallets of softener salt stored in the very top of 3 level racking, and at roughly 2,000 lbs. I imagine if that fell on you you'd either die instantly or wish you had.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mo_Steel posted:

I used to work at a grocery store, and on the busier holidays you go through Coke and Pepsi products at insane volumes, so much so that there wasn't enough racking to store it in. And so it would be stacked on the floor of the backroom right in front of the full, 3 level racking of pop, typically reaching about 5-6 full pallets tall. I was always morbidly curious about what the PSI of pressure on the bottom set of cans must have been and what they can hold before crumpling. I also recall seeing pallets of softener salt stored in the very top of 3 level racking, and at roughly 2,000 lbs. I imagine if that fell on you you'd either die instantly or wish you had.

I've always wondered what happened after that. Do they write everything off as lost? Do they have some guys sort out the destroyed stuff from the damaged stuff from the "we can still sell it" stuff? How long did it take them to dig the driver out?

I worked for a automotive supply warehouse briefly, and virtually every box/crate/pallet there weighed a goddamn ton and it looked very similar to that gif, aside from the collapse anyway.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

SaNChEzZ posted:

Used to drive by here every day (and) gently caress tranny hookers.

Oh... Sha! :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Uthor posted:

Now all I see is condoms raining down when I see your avatar.

• Locked thread