Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have a lot of powerful new memes planned for a future NPC

Finally, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

This Tot thing is some kinda Reddity circle-jerk, so far as I can tell. I wouldn't worry about it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TravelLog posted:

In short, Quina is good even if Blue Magic isn't as insanely powerful as it was in a game like 5 or Gau's rages were in 6.

It always drives me nuts whenever I see people describe Gau as a Blue Mage. Strago was the Blue Mage in 6; Gau was more of a Beastmaster/Berserker hybrid.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thanks to this thread I started playing FFIX again a couple weeks ago. My 3-year-old daughter was watching me play and I tried to explain to her what was going on, and it seems she took in more than I thought.

Yesterday, out of the blue my daughter declared that I was "a plant", and that I needed to sit on the floor. I obliged, then she picked up a red ball, stood a few feet away, and shuffled her feet in place and waved her arms a bit. Then she hopped over to me and bopped me on the head with the ball before returning to her original position and resumed idling in place.

"I'm the black mage!" she said. Then she grabbed her Elmo doll and put him on my head. "She's the princess."

Oh, I get it.

"What's the ball?"
"It's fire."

She grabbed a blue ball, declared that it was ice, and bonked me with that one too. Her little brother was "the monkey person".
And so I was a plant for half an hour while my daughter nuked the poo poo out of me with various spells.

The End.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

U-DO Burger posted:

Thanks to this thread I started playing FFIX again a couple weeks ago. My 3-year-old daughter was watching me play and I tried to explain to her what was going on, and it seems she took in more than I thought.

Yesterday, out of the blue my daughter declared that I was "a plant", and that I needed to sit on the floor. I obliged, then she picked up a red ball, stood a few feet away, and shuffled her feet in place and waved her arms a bit. Then she hopped over to me and bopped me on the head with the ball before returning to her original position and resumed idling in place.

"I'm the black mage!" she said. Then she grabbed her Elmo doll and put him on my head. "She's the princess."

Oh, I get it.

"What's the ball?"
"It's fire."

She grabbed a blue ball, declared that it was ice, and bonked me with that one too. Her little brother was "the monkey person".
And so I was a plant for half an hour while my daughter nuked the poo poo out of me with various spells.

The End.

Will this also be a screenshot LP?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently this is now a thing with threads made by Mega64 where children make things better.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Okay, that is goddamn adorable. :3:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
U-DO Burger: Showing that even Goons can be good parents to their children.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh, that is the BEST.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

U-DO Burger posted:

I obliged, then she picked up a red ball, stood a few feet away, and shuffled her feet in place and waved her arms a bit. Then she hopped over to me and bopped me on the head with the ball before returning to her original position and resumed idling in place.
Incredible.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

U-DO Burger posted:

The End.

Goon kid stories are the best stories. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

U-DO Burger posted:

That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing! I added the post to the OP if you're fine with it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mega64 posted:

That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing! I added the post to the OP if you're fine with it.

Yeah, that's fine.

A little tidbit I left out was that I changed things up after a while and started bopping her back when she got too close, so she resorted to hitting my limbs to disable them first before going in for the kill. Kid's figured out location damage at age 3. So proud.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You should fill two buckets with water balloons, red filled with warm water and blue with cold, then take the game outside. Nothing makes a tiny person shriek with joy more than watching daddums flinch as he gets beaned with a cold water balloon. :3

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

A little tidbit I left out was that I changed things up after a while and started bopping her back when she got too close, so she resorted to hitting my limbs to disable them first before going in for the kill. Kid's figured out location damage at age 3. So proud.
Looking forward to Vagrant Story fun times with dad.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

U-DO Burger posted:

What's up Lets Play Final Fantasy With a Three Year Old buddy?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh, I get it.

"What's the ball?"
"It's fire."

The End.

Vivi is a legitimately good role model, too.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For all the worries of what will happen when the current generation of high school kids enters the real world I'm just glad we'll have kids who grew up like this to look forward to just a few years after :allears:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This is amazing :3:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

So I decided to do a short comic:

I realized as I drew this that this is the first time I've ever drawn Freya, excluding a tracing I did over a decade ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zeikier posted:

I realized as I drew this that this is the first time I've ever drawn Freya, excluding a tracing I did over a decade ago.

It wouldn't be out of character for her to do that. :allears:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

This is amazing :3:

It was a lot of fun. We're pecking away at another run-though (not LP'd though, of course). He just switched me from all Red Mages on the Big Bridge to Dancer/Summoner/Berserker/Samurai around the Moogle forest.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ramc posted:

It was a lot of fun. We're pecking away at another run-though (not LP'd though, of course). He just switched me from all Red Mages on the Big Bridge to Dancer/Summoner/Berserker/Samurai around the Moogle forest.

You should keep records so that when he's old enough to play the game himself you can make him understand what he put you through.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Zeikier posted:

drat, everyone's hating on Festival Hunter Zidane. Still, good stuff. As is Pretend FF9ing.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

You should keep records so that when he's old enough to play the game himself you can make him understand what he put you through.

We will have the Challenge Run LP to go through, at least.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ramc posted:

It's adorable and makes me want to do an lp with my daughter. If I had enough people I'd love to do an lp of New Super Mario Bros WiiU, with my daughter holding the tablet. In that game you tap the tablet and blocks show up on screen. My wife and I played with her a few times in World 8, and thanks to all the surprise blocks screwing with our jumps it was like playing Kaizo Mario, with our untimely deaths accompanied by the sound of a kid happily bragging that she made a purple block.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

W.T. Fits posted:

It always drives me nuts whenever I see people describe Gau as a Blue Mage. Strago was the Blue Mage in 6; Gau was more of a Beastmaster/Berserker hybrid.

I mean, Strago was more of the typical blue mage in that he learns spells directly from enemies, but Gau is also very much in the Blue Mage vein. If you must be technical, he's a lot more a Blue Mage/Beastmaster hybrid than a Berserker one.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Gau's class is Motherfucker.

FF has never had before or had since a character so singularly dedicated towards exposing how many holes are in the game's combat system.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Gau's class is Motherfucker.

That is a really harsh comment when you consider what happened to his mother. :stonk:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I read through this whole thing and it was great.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TravelLog posted:

I mean, Strago was more of the typical blue mage in that he learns spells directly from enemies, but Gau is also very much in the Blue Mage vein. If you must be technical, he's a lot more a Blue Mage/Beastmaster hybrid than a Berserker one.

In the game itself, both in the story and in mechanical terms, he's never referred to as a Blue Mage, because he isn't one.

Also, Gau's skill set is called "Rage" and when you choose to use one, you lose control over him until the battle ends; how does that not strike you as being more "Berserker" than "Blue Mage"?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Obligatum VII posted:

Vivi is a legitimately good role model, too.

I think pretty much everyone in FFIX that joins your party is, in their own way. Okay, Quina and the last party member are fringe cases that are questionable, but even them I'd sooner want my child to try to emulate over pretty much anyone in 7 or 8.

This is pretty much the only Square RPG in the PSX era where your heroes actually feel like heroes, though I don't know if we can count Legend of Mana toward that.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, definitely, but as someone who had to deal with the teething phase, the last thing I want to teach a kid is "try to stick as many things in your mouth as possible".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 4, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be honest, Quina's whole quest, while completely at odds with the plot, is about expanding your horizons and seeing more of the world than your narrow-minded perception of it.

It's like TWEWY, only with a large, comic relief blob monster (wo)man.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

W.T. Fits posted:

In the game itself, both in the story and in mechanical terms, he's never referred to as a Blue Mage, because he isn't one.

Actually, I do think someone in Thamasa refers to him as a Blue Mage in the GBA translation. I believe it's immediately after the burning house event but before going to the mountains.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Actually, I do think someone in Thamasa refers to him as a Blue Mage in the GBA translation. I believe it's immediately after the burning house event but before going to the mountains.

I think Fits was saying that Gau was never called a Blue Mage.

Because he isn't one.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think it's a fair comparison. Gau does bear some similarity to Blue Mages in that he learns monster abilities, from monsters. He just executes them more like a berserker, instead of choosing individual spells to cast.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KataraniSword posted:

I think pretty much everyone in FFIX that joins your party is, in their own way. Okay, Quina and the last party member are fringe cases that are questionable, but even them I'd sooner want my child to try to emulate over pretty much anyone in 7 or 8.

This is pretty much the only Square RPG in the PSX era where your heroes actually feel like heroes, though I don't know if we can count Legend of Mana toward that.

Legend of Mana is "the protagonist does random tasks to help people because they're nice, sometimes it saves the world, sometimes you're selling lamps to dogmen or helping a rabbit scam a teapot." So heroic in the classic jRPG sense of "will do whatever inane poo poo asked of them" and occasionally actually good.

As for Gau, he's three different jobs rolled into one. FF6 is kinda weird with its job system in that there's already a dedicated blue mage, beastmaster, and berserker (Strago, Relm, Umaro) and then there's Gau who's some bizarre amalgamation of a bunch of jobs and ends up breaking the game in half because that's what happens when you give somebody all the jobs.

Zeikier posted:

Also, this is fantastic and I added it to the OP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nobody ever intended for Gau to be in the game, he's actually a bizarre manifestation of the game's terrible buggy coding.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody ever intended for Gau to be in the game, he's actually a bizarre manifestation of the game's terrible buggy coding.

Gau is the Sketch Glitch given form. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Zeikier posted:

This rules

• Locked thread