Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

I can't imagine playing EU4 with the console. Half the enjoyment of the game for me is not knowing what will happen and having to react accordingly, eg. whether or not I can really take this fight against France and her allies. Even playing in non-Ironman mode feels dirty to me.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Those folks never have anything interesting to say about the game either because all their stories begin with "I consoled my self every possible advantage then this awesome thing happened"

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I tried a new game as Milan and now have a 6/6/6 dictator locked in. I may have expanded too fast though:

I'm allied with France, Austria, Castile and Hungary so I'm not too worried, but I guess I have to cool my jets for a while.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Vassalizing Switzerland and allying France are win opening moves for Milan.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Average Bear posted:

Vassalizing Switzerland and allying France are win opening moves for Milan.

I know that vassal feeding is widely considered to be the most 'optimal' approach, but I have some misgivings about it in that the more you feed a vassal, the longer it takes to integrate it, and while that's going on, you're not getting a direct benefit from the land (besides the vassal income and their armies helping you in war). With a nation like Milan where you have an excess of monarch points to spend on development, as well as an excess of gold to spend on buildings, taking and coring the land myself gives me a bit of a head start, the way I see it. I took Admin as my first idea group and rushed the reduced coring cost, which has helped a lot. I am planning to vassalise Savoy shortly (after clearing out Florence, which I just did and the rest of Venice and Papal States) so I can hold off sharing a border with France for as long as possible, so they can be my Switzerland in this situation.

I really would like to see an intelligent cost benefit comparison of say, coring versus vassal feeding, or a mix of the two, for different nations. I can see situations where vassal feeding would be better, say when you're trying to take North Africa as Castile, (due to the Berber traditions) or when admin points are at a premium, but right now it seems like I have enough admin points to fill out the Admin group, core everything I take in war, and even have some left over for raising stability when I revert back to a monarchy. However it's possible this is a situation unique to Milan.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong if somebody knows better, though.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also, something else to consider is that all provinces will have 75% autonomy when you diplo-annex. Coring them yourself puts the provinces at 50% I believe, with the ability to immediately reduce it to 25% if you can handle the rebels. Another factor would be, in this game, coring rather than vassal feeding let me go from Duchy to Kingdom sooner than I would have, with all the bonuses that brings, most notably the monthly autonomy change.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Yolomancer posted:

I know that vassal feeding is widely considered to be the most 'optimal' approach, but...
Yeah, I think they made some changes that makes it not the most optimal approach anymore. Small/medium-small vassals are still ok, but larger vassals are a pain to integrate. I prefer taking provinces for myself now in most cases.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My 4-province Nevers vassal took 600 dip to integrate as burgundy. Would have been only slightly less to core it

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh baby. Please let me win this war.

(Austria isn't the Emperor.)

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We should be okay:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

htanks for the LP byob guy (NOT!)

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You tried to drop a Borat ref, but you come across more as a Bruno.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
When I vassalize Switzerland its to make them a march for the rest of the game. They make a really good one since they're mostly mountains. Another good one is Tyrol or styria. But I play my Italy games kinda tall since it's easy to get carried away once you get all of Italy. You can surround yourself almost completely with mountain marches, even in the Balkans if you care to expand there.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Also prepare your border with forts when you take savoy. France will eventually turn on you due to a mission to take Milan (does anyone know if this has a historical basis)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Also prepare your border with forts when you take savoy. France will eventually turn on you due to a mission to take Milan (does anyone know if this has a historical basis)

Yeah.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Average Bear posted:

France got most of Savoy before I could, I only got the scraps. Damnit. Here's the situation at present:

I'm running out of places I can safely expand. Naples is in a PU under my ally Castile, what remains of Switzerland is protected by the Emperor, I can eat the rest of Venice but they're allied with Poland/Lithuania and the rest is of course HRE. Something's gotta give, maybe I'll turn on Austria and try to link up my Italian possessions with Hungary, my lesser partner.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Average Bear posted:

They were basically the Italian Hundred Years War. Good luck!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yolomancer posted:

I know that vassal feeding is widely considered to be the most 'optimal' approach, but I have some misgivings about it in that the more you feed a vassal, the longer it takes to integrate it, and while that's going on, you're not getting a direct benefit from the land (besides the vassal income and their armies helping you in war). With a nation like Milan where you have an excess of monarch points to spend on development, as well as an excess of gold to spend on buildings, taking and coring the land myself gives me a bit of a head start, the way I see it. I took Admin as my first idea group and rushed the reduced coring cost, which has helped a lot. I am planning to vassalise Savoy shortly (after clearing out Florence, which I just did and the rest of Venice and Papal States) so I can hold off sharing a border with France for as long as possible, so they can be my Switzerland in this situation.

I really would like to see an intelligent cost benefit comparison of say, coring versus vassal feeding, or a mix of the two, for different nations. I can see situations where vassal feeding would be better, say when you're trying to take North Africa as Castile, (due to the Berber traditions) or when admin points are at a premium, but right now it seems like I have enough admin points to fill out the Admin group, core everything I take in war, and even have some left over for raising stability when I revert back to a monarchy. However it's possible this is a situation unique to Milan.

I'm happy to be told I'm wrong if somebody knows better, though.

like frankenfreak said, vassal feeding hasn't been 'optimal' for the last few patches. they got nerfed repeatedly (diplo cost for integrating, 75% autonomy on integration, liberty desire) and are honestly pretty marginal now. it's kinda nice to trade diplo for admin, since the latter's generally significantly more valuable than the former, and avoiding nationalism is a plus, but usually these days it's simpler and better to take territory directly.

note that increased coring costs (e.g. berber traditions) *also* apply to the cost to diplomatically integrate a vassal - you can't dodge them that way. that being said, I've found some of the best situations for vassalizing are areas you're planning to expand into much later, if ever - +coring cost areas frequently being in that category.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

htanks for the LP byob guy (NOT!)

That's the loving Yolomacer you retarded Brazilian turd.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

This is cool thanks

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yolomancer, when the Iberian wedding fires, use Castile against France for those savoy provinces. They should get their rear end beat enough to lose Naples as a PU.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Yolomancer, when the Iberian wedding fires, use Castile against France for those savoy provinces. They should get their rear end beat enough to lose Naples as a PU.

Don't forget them losing Aragon, which hardly affects Castile at all as an ally usually. Stealing all of the Med islands from Aragon is a pro strat as Italy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's the loving Yolomacer you retarded Brazilian turd.

I thought that was Yobgoblin

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Average Bear posted:

I formed Italy around 1520 or so and then immediately declared war on Naples (who was in a PU with my ally, Castile) and despite them being allied with England, managed to beat them up enough to take around five provinces from Naples.

However my enthusiasm for this particular game has faded now that I got the 'chieve for forming Italy and the fact I did a recent Papal States game. I think I'm going to start a new game as Bohemia and try to become Emperor then core Dublin for those two 'chieves.

Thanks for the advice.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Italy games have an excellent early game and bland mid/late game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does anyone have a good late game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

Hey, late game's a blast in MP! Its loving boring as poo poo in SP though

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Never actually tried EU4 mp. I tried it in eu3 and well it was impossible to play for more than a few years.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Never actually tried EU4 mp. I tried it in eu3 and well it was impossible to play for more than a few years.

Sometimes it gets that bad with patches that cause desync issues but for the most part it works great. The Games forum game that people play has like 30 people in it with almost no desync now that the desync bug in the 1.13 beta got fixed.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

we need a dlc for post-1600 so bad.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I think more DHE would help. Past the league wars, there's not much else to look forward to. A forced revolutionary country would be awesome. Vic II had WWI as its endgame.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
playing eu4 mp taught me that I'm insanely bad at diplomacy and telling who's going to backstab me vs who'd be a useful ally. good to know but too slow + emotionally exhausting for me to want to play very often.

also afaik the games forum gang never played to late-game, they always got bored & restarted by maybe the 1600s; did that change?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Average Bear posted:

I think more DHE would help. Past the league wars, there's not much else to look forward to. A forced revolutionary country would be awesome. Vic II had WWI as its endgame.

the first great war, 1891. the second great war, 1897. the third great war, 1906...

late game vicky 2 was very silly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope in 2020 you can take a CKII file into EU4, into Vic 3, into their unannounced modern era map game, into their sci fi game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I hope in 2020 you can take a CKII file into EU4, into Vic 3, into their unannounced modern era map game, into their sci fi game

research time travel in the sci fi game and import into ck2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

research time travel in the sci fi game and import into ck2

Jim Ross voice: Oh mah God!!

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New game as Bohemia, going for Emperor and Dublin achievements. I got Emperor pretty quickly through Diplomatic ideas + not expanding, but buff Austria is scaring the poo poo out of me. They inherited all of Burgundy when the king died and are now slowly but surely eating HRE OPMs. I can't seem to find a window where my allies (four electors + France + Muscovy) will be winning to join me in a war against them to cut them down to size. In the meantime I've been munching on Hungary to buff up, with the intention of eventually going after Venice, then Poland. Still, Austria is one scary motherfucker right now.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao. Why does this keep happening. This changes everything:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

I hope I can have sex one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I hope I can have sex one day.

Same here, knuc.