Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still plan to do a DQ Marathon but it's not cheap buying all of them and I have had a lot of money problems of late. I have 1-3 and plan to get 5-7 this month then hopefully 4 and 8 next month. I can do the marathon for my birthday I guess.

As for NieR, my problem is I'm very spur of the moment and whatever mood takes me. It's why LR is sitting here unplayed because my interest in the XIII Trilogy came and went. I will have to wait for the NieR mood to hit me.

What I don't get is, everyone here seems to love the guy behind NieR and it's the same fellow as Drakengard, right? Those infamous towering mountains of poo poo starring psychopaths? So what happened with NieR? Why did it turn out good?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I still plan to do a DQ Marathon but it's not cheap buying all of them and I have had a lot of money problems of late. I have 1-3 and plan to get 5-7 this month then hopefully 4 and 8 next month. I can do the marathon for my birthday I guess.

As for NieR, my problem is I'm very spur of the moment and whatever mod takes me. It's why LR is sitting here unplayed because my interest in the XIII Trilogy came and went I will have to wait for the NieR mood to hit me.

What I don't get is, everyone here seems to love the guy behind NieR and it's the same fellow as Drakengard, right? Those infamous towering mountains of poo poo starring psychopaths?

Drakengard 3 wasn't THAT awful. But Nier's got a sympathetic protagonist instead and the game goes for emotional gutpunches than it does ludicrously insane bloodbaths and outright trolling the player like Drakengard does.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
nier is about the best dad ever and that's why it's good

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

Actually anybody tried this game? I was thinking about grabbing it a while back.
I was looking at it before and love that they're one of the few RPGMaker devs that decided to overhaul the standard UI to match their art direction.

Yes, I played it. It's a really neat game. It's kind of light on dialog but that's sort of the point. It does a good job of portraying this sand-swept world that's basically on the edge of death but without being really heavy handed or edgy about it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for NieR, my problem is I'm very spur of the moment and whatever mood takes me. It's why LR is sitting here unplayed because my interest in the XIII Trilogy came and went. I will have to wait for the NieR mood to hit me.

What I don't get is, everyone here seems to love the guy behind NieR and it's the same fellow as Drakengard, right? Those infamous towering mountains of poo poo starring psychopaths? So what happened with NieR? Why did it turn out good?

Just listen to some of the soundtrack.

Gods Bound By Rules
Grandma
Hills Of Radiant Winds
City of Commerce
Ultimate Weapon
Wretched Automatons

There, now you're in the mood.

What about Earthbound?

quote:

What I don't get is, everyone here seems to love the guy behind NieR and it's the same fellow as Drakengard, right? Those infamous towering mountains of poo poo starring psychopaths?

Nah, it's set 1000 years after Drakengard. Your character in Nier is just like a dad avatar for yourself. It's like the protagonist of Last of Us if you played that. The character is bare to let you easily step inside his shoes and think about what it would be like if you were in his situation. It shouldn't feel like you're watching a character. It should feel like you're the dad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Nier has a very different tone than the Drakengard titles, even though it covers similar themes. The initial premise is that you're a dad trying to find a way to cure your sickly daughter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also Drakengard 1 owns, except for the bit where you have to play it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Just listen to some of the soundtrack.

No Emil/Karma , no sale. One of my favourite battle themes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What about Earthbound?

I've heard people say Mother 3 is better. At any rate I'd prefer to play all of the games and not just EB, although that seems to be what most did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard people say Mother 3 is better. At any rate I'd prefer to play all of the games and not just EB, although that seems to be what most did.

why would anyone willingly play the first mother game, dont loving do it

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

corn in the bible posted:

why would anyone willingly play the first mother game, dont loving do it

Yes, please stop feeling like you need to play every game in a series.

It actually may make your EB experience worse since you wouldn't be seeing a lot of the stuff in EB for the first time and coming into it fresh. Playing Mother 1 before EB is like reading the rough draft of a movie before experiencing the real script. It's like playing the wireframed prototype of a game before the actual game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't play Mother 3 without having Earthbound under your belt, but I don't remember anything being lost on me when I played EB with regards to Mother 1. Besides Gigyas being a thing in both are there any other connections between the two?

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug

i also love the drop and i hope his move to commercial games is a success, but you can't deny his stuff isn't completely bugfuck insane

Hey! I still read this thread, you know!

Thanks for the support! I'm glad someone out there appreciates my attempts at easy-to-swallow insanity.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't play Mother 3 without having Earthbound under your belt, but I don't remember anything being lost on me when I played EB with regards to Mother 1. Besides Gigyas being a thing in both are there any other connections between the two?

There are a lot of similarities but nothing that's directly linked. Even the Gigyas connection isn't a deal breaker since it's so different in EB.

I appreciate Mother 1 since I love EB and Mother 3, but gently caress playing Mother 1 first. It has a lot of design choices that have aged terribly, and some that weren't hot to begin with.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Srice posted:

There are a lot of similarities but nothing that's directly linked.
Except for the fat kid?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Except for the fat kid?

Mother 1 to Earthbound.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Motto posted:

Nier has a very different tone than the Drakengard titles, even though it covers similar themes. The initial premise is that you're a dad trying to find a way to cure your sickly daughter.

Honestly I believe that premise stays the whole way throughout the game as the main goal.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

1-600-DOCTORB posted:

Hey! I still read this thread, you know!

Thanks for the support! I'm glad someone out there appreciates my attempts at easy-to-swallow insanity.

I totally forgot that you read this thread. Are you still working on How Far, I think it was called?

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug

I totally forgot that you read this thread. Are you still working on How Far, I think it was called?

Yes and no. It is a project file that exists on my hard drive, but I haven't touched it in months. I will probably end up folding that whole mess of a story into a single product in the future. So, it's a definitive "maybe" for now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Jesus the Grandia 2 remake just released a 4k/60 fps (in combat only?) patch. They really want to nail this thing down.

Also they added a footstep volume slider, hah.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nier is about the best dad ever and that's why it's good
alternatively, lost odyssey is about the worst dad ever

SelenicMartian posted:

Except for the fat kid?
I'm both kinda bummed and at the same time glad that in Mother 3, they dumped the original idea for the Pokey's Pokeys battle, which was supposed to be instead of fighting a bunch of robot Pokeys, you fought the brainwashed protagonists from the other two Mother games.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 3, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Jesus the Grandia 2 remake just released a 4k/60 fps (in combat only?) patch. They really want to nail this thing down.

Also they added a footstep volume slider, hah.

This last patch was a really good one. I hope they keep releasing their classics on Steam if this is how the support them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God I would love Tales of Vesperia on Steam.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I would love ToV on a platform I own

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB posted:

I know, right? I hope that's Namco-Bandai's next project, by this point my 360 controllers have outlived the console by years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

In a second, especially if it was a port of the PS3 version.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hopefully if Zestiria and Symphonia do well on Steam, Vesperia, Graces and Xillia 1 & 2 would follow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A shame Tales of R will probably not be possible because of Sony reasons.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Hello RPG thread, I have a question for you all

What are some games with really good world maps? I would like to submit FFIX, thanks to the chocobo minigame, and Skies of Arcadia, mostly thanks to the discovery system despite the map's relative emptiness. Honorable mention goes to Chrono Trigger for looking really pretty and not having random encounters

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If I say Terranigma, is it cheating?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

Unmarked unmentioned locations that are crucial to progress in the story is not a well-designed world map. Wild Arms, of course, suffers from the same problem.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Amppelix posted:

not really, since the last half is so bad

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Looper posted:

Hello RPG thread, I have a question for you all

What are some games with really good world maps? I would like to submit FFIX, thanks to the chocobo minigame, and Skies of Arcadia, mostly thanks to the discovery system despite the map's relative emptiness. Honorable mention goes to Chrono Trigger for looking really pretty and not having random encounters

Dragon Quest 8 has my ideal world map in full 3d. It serves the same purpose as old school RPG world maps but the perspective and side really puts you into the world. Finding treasures and rare monsters and poo poo was cool too.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

well no one ever talked about it!

did people like it, or is it hard to actually say

You can now edit your character palettes manually, goty

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

opoona came in the mail today and i also found my wii nunchuck, it's a good day

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

opoona came in the mail today and i also found my wii nunchuck, it's a good day

nunchuk-only is the chillest way to play opoona

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Never played it, how is it cheating?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The world map in that game is the earth's world map.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In BoF2, is there any need to grind the entire party before entering the final dungeon, or should I only grind the people I want to go through it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

closeted republican posted:

In BoF2, is there any need to grind the entire party before entering the final dungeon, or should I only grind the people I want to go through it with?

Just use the party you want to. There's not going to be some kind of FF6-style split party thing if that's what you're worried about.