Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

gnome, I found a typo on the orc sheet for "The Fires Of Industry": it should say "you can always craft an orc-made weapon of your own design."

Yes, yes it should. Thanks, I'll fix the file in a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Yes, yes it should. Thanks, I'll fix the file in a little bit.

I just want to say that I love the take on the orcs; I've had similar ideas in the past (orcs rely more on technology because they can't use magic, they live in swamps and work steam because they're immune to disease and pollution), so I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking on those lines.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

In brief, how does the Overlord work and how does it differ from the typical GM role? I just have a hard time imagining a GM-less story game with one player as a clear antagonist and it not devolving into constant arguing and rules-lawyering.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I also noticed something: you know those fluff descriptions in the playbooks, the ones that end with "I am the [X] and..."? The Orc has the Heir's for some reason.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

paradoxGentleman posted:

I also noticed something: you know those fluff descriptions in the playbooks, the ones that end with "I am the [X] and..."? The Orc has the Heir's for some reason.

Wow I have a lot of oversights on that page. The reason would be because I don't really have a template for my playbooks - when I make a new one, I just save an old playbook page with a new name and then change all the details on the page. And I missed a spot.

Cocks Cable posted:

In brief, how does the Overlord work and how does it differ from the typical GM role? I just have a hard time imagining a GM-less story game with one player as a clear antagonist and it not devolving into constant arguing and rules-lawyering.

The Overlord has a lot in common with the typical GM role, really. The difference between the Overlord and a typical GM is more that every other player shares a large part of the GM's normal duties, so the Overlord has a little less responsibility. In normal *World games, the GM is given some Agendas to keep them doing what the game wants them to do, and some Principles, which are rules to follow when playing. In Fellowship, the Overlord and the Fellowship each have their own Agendas and Principles, and the Overlord's are different from those of the Fellowship. This means the fellowship players have more defined rules to follow than in your typical RPG, but by giving them their own principles, a bit of the GM's rules burden is removed.

Also, one of the Overlord's rules is that they will lose. They are not playing to win. Killing the Fellowship is not your goal, world domination is. You do not play as the big bad evil villain so you can win at the end of the day, you play as the villain so you can cause chaos, ruin the world, and have a great time before you are heroically defeated. Ruining the players' day and winning is directly against your rules. The game is an epic journey, told together and explored together, not a stomp-down. The Overlord is significantly more powerful than the players at the beginning of the campaign and will remain more powerful than them throughout most of the journey, until the players have the tools to finally defeat you in a final, glorious battle.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

So, Steampunk Rally is actually super good and everyone had a lot of fun. Definitely going to try and table it again tomorrow at weekly meetup.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Andarel posted:

So, Steampunk Rally is actually super good and everyone had a lot of fun. Definitely going to try and table it again tomorrow at weekly meetup.

Playing my copy tonight for the first time! Any recommendations of things to watch for rules-wise?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

The weirdest thing in the rules is what happens when multiple people want to play Boost cards. There's no great way for resolving it, especially since people want to wait as long as possible before playing damage cards and whatnot (but there's not much reason to, because you can just play it during the damage phase). Usually just ask everyone if they're going to Boost and then go around the circle by play direction, starting from the person who said they were going to play a card first.

Other than that, just start on the easy track (hard track is pretty nuts). Apparently there's a super track for the Incredibly Expensive Super Awesome Kickstarter Backers but I didn't have a positive enough first impression to throw all the money at the Tesla edition.

That said, rules are super simple and as long as you read them beforehand they should all be pretty much trivial.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I don't like most of the *World games out there, but Fellowship definitely looks promising (and more importantly, right up my alley). You'll be getting a few bucks from me, as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gnome7 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game

And the Kickstarter for Fellowship is live!

If you have not been following my posts on it in the dungeon world thread, Fellowship is a *world-like game that diverges in a few different ways. For one, it's mostly GM-less - one player plays as the Overlord against the others, who play as a Fellowship of heroes to save the world. Second, each player is the champion of their specific people - the Elf is the hero of all Elves, for example. Their player gets to decide on all things that Elves actually are - you decide your people's culture, their heritage, their relationships with the rest of the world, and even what unique abilities they might have. It's very open-ended like that.

Please, check it out!

Hey, if we're getting the book at cost, why is Fellowship Deluxe $3 more than Fellowship Standard? There's nothing extra other than what we'd already be paying extra for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

homullus posted:

Hey, if we're getting the book at cost, why is Fellowship Deluxe $3 more than Fellowship Standard? There's nothing extra other than what we'd already be paying extra for.

Softcover vs. hardcover.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Softcover vs. hardcover.

That's already factored into the cost quoted in the different tiers as far as I can tell.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

homullus posted:

The short answer: ~Marketing~

The long answer: I had them both at $15 for a while before launching, but there's a weird bit of human psychology where if someone sees two things with the same price they will assume the more valuable one is worth less than the less valuable one, which is priced "correctly." And that persists even knowing the later cost down the road will be higher with one than the other. I also did some mathematics and found that at that price, you were only getting a $1 discount from buying the paperback book later, but you were getting a 7$ discount on the hardcover books. So by slightly adjusting the pricing on the two tiers, both of them are now a 10% discount on the full cover price of the books' future MSRP.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Backed Fellowship like whoa, really looking forward to it.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

gnome7 posted:

Wow I have a lot of oversights on that page. The reason would be because I don't really have a template for my playbooks - when I make a new one, I just save an old playbook page with a new name and then change all the details on the page. And I missed a spot.

The Heir's Companions section starts with "Elven companions" as well.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Echophonic posted:

We actually played last night. Did 3 player and we all quite liked it. I screwed myself over by not getting cards that worked in the City Slumbering, so I ended with a really thin deck, which bit me in the rear end come Wax Kingdom scoring. Scores ended up 69/60/48, with me at the back. Really easy to learn, lot of good interactivity. Reminded me a bit of Archon by Artipia with how your pool of 'workers' is updated and changed throughout the game.

I also love the setting and art for Don't Rest Your Head, so that's a major plus, too.

Thanks for that. I just got my copies so I might play it with my gf tonight.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I haven't downloaded the backer preview of the rules yet, I just recall that the playtest edition still just had Elven names for the Overlord. I take that has been changed?

Also, I apologize for not getting back to you with any playtest feedback: my usual RPG group has been hella busy and I just started a new job so I didn't have time to run a playtest session. That said, I backed the game and am looking forward to running a game using the preview rules when at all possible. :)

Finally, a question: since I have a pretty prolific D&D blog (that I mostly use for fantasy art and hyping fantasy RPGs of all stripes these days) would you be okay with me posting a few snippets from the game to my followers to give a better feel for what the game is about? I've already linked the Kickstarter on said blog but I don't feel my pitch can do the game justice and I'd rather show a few specific cool things I like about the game.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ratpick posted:

I haven't downloaded the backer preview of the rules yet, I just recall that the playtest edition still just had Elven names for the Overlord. I take that has been changed?

Also, I apologize for not getting back to you with any playtest feedback: my usual RPG group has been hella busy and I just started a new job so I didn't have time to run a playtest session. That said, I backed the game and am looking forward to running a game using the preview rules when at all possible. :)

Finally, a question: since I have a pretty prolific D&D blog (that I mostly use for fantasy art and hyping fantasy RPGs of all stripes these days) would you be okay with me posting a few snippets from the game to my followers to give a better feel for what the game is about? I've already linked the Kickstarter on said blog but I don't feel my pitch can do the game justice and I'd rather show a few specific cool things I like about the game.

Generally, the pitch is a bit devoid of detail. It could really use more information about what it is.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ratpick posted:

Yes, that has been changed.

Ratpick posted:

Sure. I put some tweets about Fellowship up on storify a couple weeks ago with a bunch of screencaps you could probably use. The one for Command Lore and the Agendas/Principles are pretty good, but any of these would be good to use. If there is anything in the rulebook you particularly like, feel free to screencap the text in a similar fashion for showing off. As long as it isn't from chapter 4, which is quite empty, I feel rather good about all the text that is in the book.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Generally, the pitch is a bit devoid of detail. It could really use more information about what it is.

I don't know what's really missing from the kickstarter description. The game is exactly what's there - it is about the adventure, not dungeon crawls and loot. It's about being heroes, not murder-hobos. One player is the Overlord, everyone else is the Fellowship. It is a *World-based game but with many changes. Everyone has a lot of narrative control about their character and their people. I have example Set Pieces and Destinies on the page for people to look at, and the playbooks are available to download as a preview for the rules.

This isn't me trying to be defensive, I am honestly curious about what I need to put more of into the kickstarter page. What would you like to see more detail on? What do you want me to say that isn't there?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gnome7 posted:

Sure. I put some tweets about Fellowship up on storify a couple weeks ago with a bunch of screencaps you could probably use. The one for Command Lore and the Agendas/Principles are pretty good, but any of these would be good to use. If there is anything in the rulebook you particularly like, feel free to screencap the text in a similar fashion for showing off. As long as it isn't from chapter 4, which is quite empty, I feel rather good about all the text that is in the book.

Yeah, I already posted the Storify a while back, but I might repost it since it's a bit more topical right now. I'm very much looking forward to this game and I really want to build as much hype for it as possible. :)

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Anyway most of the last page has been all Fellowship so I made a thread for it so we can stop derailing this one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Anyway most of the last page has been all Fellowship so I made a thread for it so we can stop derailing this one.

You might want to post stuff in the PbtA thread too.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I was surprised to find a couple of packages in my mail the other day. They contained a buttload of Low Life stuff from the Miniatures and Rise of the Lowly Kickstarters. Gotta say, while they're very late, and I'm still missing stuff, it's nice to see Andy working on churning that stuff out.

Also, the adventure deck is perfectly charming in the Low Life fashion, with cards like BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!! (Which causes everyone to flee the area, because bees).

Crudeboy
Jun 1, 2010

JackMann posted:

I was surprised to find a couple of packages in my mail the other day. They contained a buttload of Low Life stuff from the Miniatures and Rise of the Lowly Kickstarters. Gotta say, while they're very late, and I'm still missing stuff, it's nice to see Andy working on churning that stuff out.

I received my package a couple of days ago as well and, yeah, I was pretty tickled to find everything present and wonderfully done. The books, t-shirts, G'zoink, playing cards and so on.

I must admit that I am rather glad I just pitched in for the first thirteen or so minis (and got them ages ago), as Andy has had a hell of a time getting that completed. I do have faith that he'll see it through, and am looking forward to Holy Crap.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

gnome7 posted:

I don't know what's really missing from the kickstarter description. The game is exactly what's there - it is about the adventure, not dungeon crawls and loot. It's about being heroes, not murder-hobos. One player is the Overlord, everyone else is the Fellowship. It is a *World-based game but with many changes. Everyone has a lot of narrative control about their character and their people. I have example Set Pieces and Destinies on the page for people to look at, and the playbooks are available to download as a preview for the rules.

Your project page doesn't say that it is *World game -- you sort of have to infer that from talk about "playbooks" and the like. Nor does it say anything about what that means for people, like me, who haven't read the rules to or played any *World games. (Even though I own one or two -- a small fraction of the RPGs I own and haven't read; yes I know I have a problem.) Even more specifically, it doesn't say anything about how the Overlord role is different than a traditional GM, except to say it is different. To be honest, it sounds like the traditional stuff -- make an NPC bent on destroying the world, give him a plan, react to the party's actions. With your preview rules available in a backer's update anyone could get at for $1, you could stand to be a little more specific about how the game actually plays, even if it's just a link to a page somewhere.

It also took your message here to make me realize that there were links to some examples on the page -- they are somewhat buried in the descriptions of the higher-tier rewards. Since I knew that I wasn't going to pledge $150, I didn't really bother to read the details of that tier.

It took me a while and people's enthusiastic comments here to decide to back. I liked the art and focus of the game, was intrigued by the idea of everyone having so much control over their slice of the world. More detail probably would've made the process quicker.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

atholbrose posted:

Your project page doesn't say that it is *World game -- you sort of have to infer that from talk about "playbooks" and the like. Nor does it say anything about what that means for people, like me, who haven't read the rules to or played any *World games. (Even though I own one or two -- a small fraction of the RPGs I own and haven't read; yes I know I have a problem.) Even more specifically, it doesn't say anything about how the Overlord role is different than a traditional GM, except to say it is different. To be honest, it sounds like the traditional stuff -- make an NPC bent on destroying the world, give him a plan, react to the party's actions. With your preview rules available in a backer's update anyone could get at for $1, you could stand to be a little more specific about how the game actually plays, even if it's just a link to a page somewhere.

It also took your message here to make me realize that there were links to some examples on the page -- they are somewhat buried in the descriptions of the higher-tier rewards. Since I knew that I wasn't going to pledge $150, I didn't really bother to read the details of that tier.

It took me a while and people's enthusiastic comments here to decide to back. I liked the art and focus of the game, was intrigued by the idea of everyone having so much control over their slice of the world. More detail probably would've made the process quicker.

Thanks for the feedback, those are all good points. I'll update the kickstarter page later today - I just woke up, but I'll definitely be acting on that advice later.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

malkav11 posted:

My friend Patrick Leder is Kickstarting an asymmetric strategy boardgame with a fantasy theme called Trove: The Crystal Caverns:
And there's a print-n-play version if you want to check it out for yourself first.

Anyone wanna try this. I saw someone put the PnP stuff on Tabletop Simulator and I'd like to take a crack at it. If theres interest maybe we could set up a time to play it out at.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Anyone wanna try this. I saw someone put the PnP stuff on Tabletop Simulator and I'd like to take a crack at it. If theres interest maybe we could set up a time to play it out at.

I believe that someone was Patrick. He was talking about having done some Tabletop Simulator playtests.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

JackMann posted:

Yeah, I also got my copy of the Rise of the Lowly core a while back and am very pleased. (Not super-delighted about pimps and prostitutes being core-available professions, but pulp fantasy gotta pulp, I guess?) It's obvious that Andy has overextended himself, but I'm glad he's still focusing on quality. I'd rather be getting good product late than slapdash product a little less late.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I also got my copy of the Rise of the Lowly core a while back and am very pleased. (Not super-delighted about pimps and prostitutes being core-available professions, but pulp fantasy gotta pulp, I guess?) It's obvious that Andy has overextended himself, but I'm glad he's still focusing on quality. I'd rather be getting good product late than slapdash product a little less late.

Odd that I can DL the PDF of the book right off the Kickstarter page for free.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

gnome7 posted:

Thanks for the feedback, those are all good points. I'll update the kickstarter page later today - I just woke up, but I'll definitely be acting on that advice later.

The changes to the page are great. Even without knowing all the fine mechanics of an Apocalypse game, the linked excerpts give an even better sense of the way characters work and the roles interact, the Overlord role is clearer and the very evocative game terms set the tone quite well. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was wondering about when I was originally looking at the project.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've got a lot of my plate fiscally right now, but if I can make room I'll definitely pledge to Fellowship! It sounds super fun.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
It isn't a TRPG specifically that triggered this complaint but they're guilty too--man I wish publishers would use a method besides Dropbox. I have seen more than enough 429s. Like seriously for a non-marked PDF, a torrent is not a bad choice.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For anyone interested in prepainted miniatures Dungeoncrawler launched their most recent campaign here.

It includes a prepainted kaiju and cavalry models with swappable riders. The current offerings for each tier is a bit bare, but if they don't reach stretch goals they're going to be including duplicates of reached minis to make up for loss fo value.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

occamsnailfile posted:

It isn't a TRPG specifically that triggered this complaint but they're guilty too--man I wish publishers would use a method besides Dropbox. I have seen more than enough 429s. Like seriously for a non-marked PDF, a torrent is not a bad choice.

I was pleasantly surprised to get Fairy Skies in one try this morning. The comics anthology that just dropped today, on the other hand... I'm half expecting to need a backup distribution plan, because I haven't seen anything but the dropbox car accident page out of that one.

Edit: And the latter project just sorted out non-Dropbox hosting. Go fig!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 8, 2015

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Anyone else seen Strange Nations yet? I thought it might be of interest to folk round here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

occamsnailfile posted:

Torrents still have a stigma of illegality though. Despite the fact that a torrent is just a delivery system, way too many people believe that all torrents are either A) illegal or B) always and irrevocably full of viruses. The actual source of the torrent of the files contained within are console they irrelevant, torrent = piracy that will melt your PC.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

jivjov posted:

Torrents still have a stigma of illegality though. Despite the fact that a torrent is just a delivery system, way too many people believe that all torrents are either A) illegal or B) always and irrevocably full of viruses. The actual source of the torrent of the files contained within are console they irrelevant, torrent = piracy that will melt your PC.

And as a result, a lot of campuses and such limit or entirely block torrent client operation. You rather want students to be able to view your RPG stuff!

EDIT: Not in my realm of experience, but military bases probably crack down on it too, and I do know that RPGs are fairly popular (as RPG popularity goes) amongst soldiers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, my campus had torrents on complete lockdown, and when I inquired as to why, someone who claimed to be an IT professional told me "torrents are only used for pirating music and movies. I'll do you a favor and not report you for asking to use them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, my campus had torrents on complete lockdown, and when I inquired as to why, someone who claimed to be an IT professional told me "torrents are only used for pirating music and movies. I'll do you a favor and not report you for asking to use them"

A smart IT pro.

Buy some cheap goon web hosting using your kickstarter cash. Don't use ghetto hosting like Dropbox or bittorrent.

• Locked thread