Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Thuryl posted:

Just use the party you want to. There's not going to be some kind of FF6-style split party thing if that's what you're worried about.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about.

This'll make grinding much, much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

closeted republican posted:

Yeah, that's what I was worried about.

This'll make grinding much, much easier.

I always equalized all party members so grinding wouldn't be necessary. Solely because every single party member you can have in the final party will give you a different quip from the last boss.

Yes I know that's insane, today I wouldn't do this multiple-runs through the final dungeon anymore and just conveniently forget about my poo poo-tier members. :v:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Man, EO2s first boss is a real bitch on hard. I'm at level thirteen and even after clearing out the other foes and using traps I can only get him to like 25% before I'm out of SP and damage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hubris.height posted:

Man, EO2s first boss is a real bitch on hard. I'm at level thirteen and even after clearing out the other foes and using traps I can only get him to like 25% before I'm out of SP and damage.

Try to poison him. Take a hexer and put all the points in poison and it should stick after a couple tries. Should make things a lot easier.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
If you're playing on Story Mode, double Link Order (giving Chloe the highest version of whatever Link Order grimoire is available) with a Fafnir's elemental slash tend to be my go to for damage. Dunno know how well it actually holds up for later floors of the game, but it done well for me through the end of the second stratum.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The demo for Etrian Odyssey IV can be launched 3 times in total on one account. Ever. :downsbravo:
Is there much to do in the demo, or are they just taking the piss? Bravely Default and Denpa Men come with 30 uses, Pokemon is unlimited.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think the demo is just the game with your level capped at 10

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SelenicMartian posted:

The demo for Etrian Odyssey IV can be launched 3 times in total on one account. Ever. :downsbravo:
Is there much to do in the demo, or are they just taking the piss? Bravely Default and Denpa Men come with 30 uses, Pokemon is unlimited.

Sorry, Eurogoon.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm playing on expert classic. I've been running the boss over and over, and I keep almost getting him. Last run was one turn away but he double attacked and my dps and tank died.

I've found that part of why I was not getting far was not using force, which I use now. It's far more vital than in EO4.

Strategy is to keep his legs bound so he can't use that snake tail, poison resist food just in case he does, and hit him with ice. I got a bunch of ice oil for my night stalker.

It's kind of slow because I run a tank, medic, and hexer, but its pretty consistent.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

hubris.height posted:

I'm playing on expert classic. I've been running the boss over and over, and I keep almost getting him. Last run was one turn away but he double attacked and my dps and tank died.

I've found that part of why I was not getting far was not using force, which I use now. It's far more vital than in EO4.

Strategy is to keep his legs bound so he can't use that snake tail, poison resist food just in case he does, and hit him with ice. I got a bunch of ice oil for my night stalker.

It's kind of slow because I run a tank, medic, and hexer, but its pretty consistent.

What's your party setup? You might want to just let your Force Boost run out instead of blowing the Break as soon as possible, if that's what you're doing. Then when you're fully charged again, then you use the Breaks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SelenicMartian posted:

The 3DS Miku game demo let you use it once in Europe.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Dr. Fetus posted:

What's your party setup? You might want to just let your Force Boost run out instead of blowing the Break as soon as possible, if that's what you're doing. Then when you're fully charged again, then you use the Breaks.

haven't used the breaks once yet, seems like any besides the hexer just isn't that good. I'm running night staller, protector, medic, hexer, alchemist.

I took that fucker chimera down finally :toot: he only got one snake tail off and I got lucky with blocks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

hubris.height posted:

haven't used the breaks once yet, seems like any besides the hexer just isn't that good. I'm running night staller, protector, medic, hexer, alchemist.

I took that fucker chimera down finally :toot: he only got one snake tail off and I got lucky with blocks.

Yeah, you really should be using the Force Breaks. Don't be afraid to use the breaks at all, because the force gauge comes back when you go back to town. They're very powerful when used in the right situations. Chances are when doing a big fight like a boss or an FOE, you'll have to head back town immediately anyway. Some of them are free damage with no TP cost, and some of them are amazing utility abilities. The Protector's Force Break completely blocks all damage for the turn, which is really handy in securing a free turn for something like setting up. The Alchemist's is free damage and is stronger than every single one of their skills. The Medic's is a great panic button because everyone gets revived and will be at full health when they do it, and it goes first. The Dark Hunter's Force Boost is far better than their break though. Don't hold onto them, cause you don't have to grind Force back up like in the other games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Protector's Force Break completely blocks all damage for the turn, which is really handy in securing a free turn for something like setting up. The Alchemist's is free damage and is stronger than every single one of their skills. The Medic's is a great panic button because everyone gets revived and will be at full health when they do it, and it goes first.

:eyepop:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Thinking about trying out the Shadow Hearts series. Is From the New World a good starting point or should I just start at the beginning?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From the New World is the worst starting point, start with the first one.

Uh, not Koudelka though..

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Thinking about trying out the Shadow Hearts series. Is From the New World a good starting point or should I just start at the beginning?
FtNW is a spin off with a silly story that barely starts and then is finished already. It has the most developed combat engine, though. You can kill some bosses before they get a turn if you set up a good combo. It also features magic girl transformations with bouncy everything, and it's the only game in the series to give you dungeon maps.
SH1 and Covenant have a story and mood of their own, but the original's combat engine is basic compared to the other two games.
Then there's Koudelka... It's special.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my new laptop can finally run cops 2170 without error, not because it has a better cpu or gpu but because it has an intel chipset

cops is great, gently caress the haters

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess if you don't feel like watching an LP of Shadow Hearts 1 so you can play Shadow Hearts 2 then starting with From the New World is fine. You should start with Shadow Hearts 1 if and only if you have a tolerance for tons of jank and bad graphics. My recommendation is always watch an LP of Shadow Hearts 1 and then play Shadow Hearts 2.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

which of my following half finished games should i continue playing

lost dimension
ar no surge
breath of fire iv
fairy fencer F
natural doctrine
demon gaze

the power is in your hands, unless i decide to ignore you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lost dimension isn't terribly long. I'd go for that first

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
BoF4. Runner-up would be Natural Doctrine but I feel like that game benefits from a marathon since it's so short and compact.

Lost Dimension is trash

Lost Dimension is like my Fable 3 of the year, I should have never purchased it. It has such a good concept like the King Concept from Fable 3 but once you get involved in it, it just sucks.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I thought Demon Gaze was wonderful, go for that.

Edit: Ar Nosurge is pretty solid, too.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Someone sell Lost Dimensions to me for cheap, tia.

But seriously, finish Ar nosurge. I actually felt sad when the game ended, which I can't remember the last time a game did that to me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Edit: Ar Nosurge is pretty solid, too.
Ar Nosurge is Good if you liked the Ar Tonelico games. Read the summary of Ciel Nosurge online somewhere though, or nothing will make any sense until 2/3 through the game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Cake Attack posted:

which of my following half finished games should i continue playing

lost dimension
ar no surge
breath of fire iv
fairy fencer F
natural doctrine
demon gaze

the power is in your hands, unless i decide to ignore you

play the one with the anime girls

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

play the one with the anime girls

I thought Fairy Fencer F was about anime guys.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I hear Demon Gaze is pretty good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grandia 2 on steam got patched w/ 60 FPS and some other junk.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520518688941726463/

quote:

Update 1.03

New Video Settings
- 60FPS Battles On/Off toggle
- Shadows On/Off toggle
- Pause App on Focus Loss On/Off toggle
- 4K & Ultra Wide resolutions added
- Custom resolution support added (type any resolution in the drop down box)

New Audio Settings
- Music Volume added
- Speech Volume added
- SFX Volume added
- Ambience Volume added
- Footsteps Volume added
- New Default Volume Mix updated

Gamepad
- Analog Camera On/Off toggle (disable for a temp fix for Xbox One controllers on Windows 10)
- Analog Movement On/Off toggle

Bug Fixes
- Fixed two memory leaks
- Fixed crash when Roan talks to NPC in Liligue City
- Fixed delayed from occurring at the end of moves/magic that play videos
- Fixed ground clipping on Millenia's Fallen Wings move
- Fixed an issue that prevented the game from loading on a fresh install do to a missing Config & ini file

Misc
- Added Version Number to Main Launcher Window

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kild posted:

Grandia 2 on steam got patched w/ 60 FPS and some other junk.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520518688941726463/

If they fix the music looping issues (and maybe make the right stick into camera control) I think the game will be pretty much perfect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TidyHole
Apr 23, 2015

Fallout 4 is looking good.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Levantine posted:

If they fix the music looping issues (and maybe make the right stick into camera control) I think the game will be pretty much perfect.

They did the stick into camera control as an option, I think. I haven't checked but I seem to remember being told that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TidyHole posted:

Fallout 4 is looking good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

At least crop out the disgusting black bars before posting screenshots, jeez man.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Something about the perspective there feels somewhat off and disorienting. Kind of like a 5 year old's drawing.

edit: I think it's because the models project shadows toward the streetlight?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TidyHole
Apr 23, 2015
Honestly, what in the hell is this? Some terrible Shadowrun mod campaign?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TidyHole posted:

Honestly, what in the hell is this? Some terrible Shadowrun mod campaign?

it is http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-C2170/cops-2170-the-power-of-law

e:

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Here's a tip for the shadow hearts series quality, the good games are the expensive ones.