Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Nice, thanks for the info. I looked and it appears there is now a cheaper shipping option, only ~$18.

I didn't see this on the site, but do you know offhand the color temp. of the bulbs? The dual white ones (which I'm going to buy to start, maybe the RGB ones later) say they can do warm or cool, but not the exact temp. of those. I assume full warm is ~3000K and full cool is ~5000K?

Probably going to buy the starter kit that's on sale right now (2 bulbs, a remote, and the wifi bridge) and 1 or 2 extra bulbs just to try it out in one room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I do not. Would it say on the bulb? I remember the website has some fancy pics/diagrams with color temp ranges etc.

I didn't bother with non-colored ones because they require a separate remote I think and aren't interchangeable with remote controls (well I'm sure it's fine via the phone app or PC)so I just got all color to be safe and depending on where I put them I got about half cold

There is a 3rd party beta computer app that is super handy. Also has a pebble smart watch app

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

quote:

► What are the Color Temp and Color Rendering Index (CRI) values?

The warm white to cool white range is fully adjustable using the iphone/android software or remote from 3000-6500K. Our testing results show the Color Temperature ranges right from 3000K all the way through to 6500K. On the remote, Left adjusts the color temp to warm white and to the Right adjusts the color temp to cool white, and anywhere in between.

Dual White Color Rendering Index (CRI): (Cool White 85.9/Warm White 83.6)

RGBW Color Rendering Index (CRI): 83.7

Dual White – Warm White to Cool White Color Temp: 3000-6500K.

RGBW Cool White Color Temp: 6000K.

RGBW Warm White Color Temp: 3000K.

Yeah, found it on the front page. This looks great; I think I'll definitely grab some myself.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I can't recommend them enough but just buy them knowing they aren't Phillips LED wifi bulbs. They actually have some features they don't. But the big one they lack Is you can't really remotely control them unless you're on your wifi. You can set timers with the PC app and poo poo and I guess if you really wanted to could Remote Desktop or something.

I know he said there was some port forwarding thing in beta but idk

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh, gently caress me.

I ordered the starter kit (2 bulbs, wifi bridge, and remote) and an extra bulb to try the setup in my living room.

The problem I just discovered? The ceiling fan in my living room doesn't take standard bulbs with an E26 base.It doesn't take the tiny E14 base, either. It takes a middle-sized base I've never even seen until yesterday when I randomly decided to check them. I guess it's called "intermediate base"/E17? When I looked at Home Depot, they had a couple packs of incandescent bulbs actually labeled "ceiling Fan." Looks like that sized base is usually on an A15-sized bulb (though it looks like there's plenty of A15-sized bulbs with E26 or candelabra bases, too.) I've lived in lots of places with ceiling fans and this is the first one I've seen that didn't take a E27 socket-bulb.

I looked on the website and I don't see this size base offered, just E26 or the smaller E14 candelabra/chandelier style base.

Looks like my best option might be a converter thing to go from E17 to E26 if I still want to use these bulbs in the living room, though with the extra length the bulbs will stick out of the glass-enclosure-thing, but whatever.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Not really sure where else to ask this but might as well ask here.

Years ago I saw a small novelty item that I haven't seen again for years. If I remember correctly, it was a small box with some kind of mirror setup. You'd put a small item inside the box and that item would appear to be levitating on top of the box. To the eye, it looked like the item was hovering there.

Now, I either dreamed this thing up and it doesn't exist, or it does and I just can't find it. The only thing I can find is those magnetic levitating globe things that you put on your desk. What I'm remembering was different and I don't think it used magnets.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

visuvius posted:

Not really sure where else to ask this but might as well ask here.

Years ago I saw a small novelty item that I haven't seen again for years. If I remember correctly, it was a small box with some kind of mirror setup. You'd put a small item inside the box and that item would appear to be levitating on top of the box. To the eye, it looked like the item was hovering there.

Now, I either dreamed this thing up and it doesn't exist, or it does and I just can't find it. The only thing I can find is those magnetic levitating globe things that you put on your desk. What I'm remembering was different and I don't think it used magnets.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

Sounds like a mirascope kinda thing. No magnets, just curved mirrors to create a hologram.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm trying to track down this type of gum my girlfriend's dad bought in Guam back in the '60s, and/or whatever the closest thing available today is.

It was regular flavor bubble gum in a rice paper wrapper (like Botan rice candy). The brand was probably Lotte. There were rare special pieces marked with a bullseye that could be redeemed for a free pack (though this last detail he might be confusing with a different candy).

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

A tower fan under $100 with no led lights or any other type of display, this is going in a bed room. I have a $30 honeywell one now which is decent, except the base is flimsy and it squeaks when rotating.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

madpanda posted:

it squeaks when rotating.

wd-40?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Van Dis posted:

Sounds like a mirascope kinda thing. No magnets, just curved mirrors to create a hologram.

Thanks man! I totally need one of these right now.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

madpanda posted:

A tower fan under $100 with no led lights or any other type of display, this is going in a bed room. I have a $30 honeywell one now which is decent, except the base is flimsy and it squeaks when rotating.

I have this which DOES have LEDs, but they are recessed in the plastic and not readily visible unless looking down upon the top from above (I do not see it on the walls or ceiling in a 225 square foot bedroom). It doesn't oscillate and the base isn't flimsy. If you can't find a decent one without LEDs or display, this would not be a bad fan to settle for.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

This is lame as gently caress, but years of stage work compel me to point out that WD-40 is in no way a reasonable lubricant. Something like CLP is a far far batter "universal" spray.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love having a pull-up bar that hooks around the top of the door frame but I moved into a house where the top is something like 8 inches high. My old Golds Gym bar doesn't reach and I'm looking for one that fits old houses.

Those straight bars that stick via tension are a cruel joke and a busted face waiting to happen.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hey I need a decent cheap desk, best if it's on Amazon prime or something.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Hey I need a decent cheap desk, best if it's on Amazon prime or something.

Go to ikea, get a board and 4 legs.

OR

Go to Home Depot, get a board, and find some milk crates.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My idea of decent might be a little low bar but a simple ikea desk is surprisingly alright feeling, not wobbly or anything.
That said I also specifically wanted a simple board style so if you need a keyboard tray or drawer then idk.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I spent $40 or so at Ikea on an enormous basic desk and opted for some glass top. It's easy as poo poo to move and I've never had an issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I actually got the dressing table from ikea and I use it as a barebones desk without the drawer. I recommend it for people who want a desk/computer in a smaller space, as it's deep enough for a monitor/keyboard but not enough to have wasted space behind.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

I actually got the dressing table from ikea and I use it as a barebones desk without the drawer. I recommend it for people who want a desk/computer in a smaller space, as it's deep enough for a monitor/keyboard but not enough to have wasted space behind.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/

Uhh.. How close is your monitor? :stare:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Pretty much normal distance?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

That looks crazy close. But I guess that works if on a super tight budget.

Also I'm guessing that is an extension on Chrome to make SA look like that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bhodi posted:

Can I ask about the sunscreen, toilet paper, and milk?

I'd like to ask about the sunscreen, toilet paper, and milk.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

TP is a tissue substitute, the sunscreen is lotion for ashy skin, the milk is for masturbation.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Etrips posted:

Also I'm guessing that is an extension on Chrome to make SA look like that?

I use stylish https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/somethingawful

Kaizoku posted:

Can I ask about the sunscreen, toilet paper, and milk?

I'd like to ask about the sunscreen, toilet paper, and milk.
If you have archives, and you dig through some of the old "show off your battlestation" threads, well, that's the joke pretty much. There's probably one somewhere in the goldmine.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have a Zojirushi Mr Bento that I use to take my lunch to work, it's awesome but I wish it had a couple more containers for morning and afternoon snacks. Does such a thing exist? Basically I want the same thing, but taller with at least two more containers.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I like the Rubbermaid lunchblox

You can get a whole bunch of little containers or just ones of various size and stack however

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Drogadon posted:

I have a Zojirushi Mr Bento that I use to take my lunch to work, it's awesome but I wish it had a couple more containers for morning and afternoon snacks. Does such a thing exist? Basically I want the same thing, but taller with at least two more containers.

Approximately how pinku/kawaii does it have to be.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maybe this is better for the Software/Hardware forum, but I was looking into getting a Wireless Adapter for my desktop so I can re-decorate without and new cords.

I don't need a specific recommendation necessarily; but the price range is like, from $6 to over $150. It's not clear to me why that is. Are USB ones worse than ones that you plug into your PCI slots? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or a basic understanding.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I like the Rubbermaid lunchblox

You can get a whole bunch of little containers or just ones of various size and stack however

Thanks I'll see if I can find these locally to check them out, would lose the thermos component but that might not be a huge deal if it fits my storage needs

Van Dis posted:

Approximately how pinku/kawaii does it have to be.

lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Captain Lavender posted:

Maybe this is better for the Software/Hardware forum, but I was looking into getting a Wireless Adapter for my desktop so I can re-decorate without and new cords.

I don't need a specific recommendation necessarily; but the price range is like, from $6 to over $150. It's not clear to me why that is. Are USB ones worse than ones that you plug into your PCI slots? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these or a basic understanding.

usb ones are perfectly fine and should be dirt cheap I've used these and they work well

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ult...sb+wifi+adapter

Might be even cheaper on the monoprice site

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Drogadon posted:

usb ones are perfectly fine and should be dirt cheap I've used these and they work well

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ult...sb+wifi+adapter

Might be even cheaper on the monoprice site

Thank you so much, I really had no idea.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
I've been using the same alarm clock for almost 10 years now, and while it still works fine (except for the motorized CD door that I never used and that broke after a year) I think it's time for an upgrade. I was looking around amazon at various projection clocks, and while I really like some of the ones I've found, I really have no idea how these things work, and what/who makes a good one. Some of these clocks have thousands of positive reviews, but then those reviews all mention "oh yeah you can't swivel the projector so either learn to read the time sideways or prop the clock up in such a way that you can't read the actual screen".

Does anyone have any recommendations? I guess the only requirements I have for it is that projects the time and preferably has some kind of temperature display (not 100% necessary but would be nice). A radio is also a plus but I've noticed a lot of clocks are omitting the radio nowadays so it's not a big deal.

Another thing I need a recommendation for is a good laptop cooling pad. I have one I got from amazon a few years back that's like a metal plate full of holes where you can attach/move three small fans, which was fine for my old laptop, but my current laptop gets so hot its unusable on my lap. That and my setup (laptop + cooling pad + fans + surface pad for me to put it on) functionally makes my laptop five times as thick and a complete pain to move around. Any suggestions would be welcome, though I realize this might be one of those things where there is no easy solution.

Re: desks, Ikea's Micke line of modular desks are pretty awesome, I got this one along with a drawer expansion and I'm very satisfied.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

What's a good camera to attach to a small dog? It's a terrier like toto from Wizard of Oz. There are actually two dogs and they thrown down like MMA and it's hilarious. I think it would be cool to get some good footage from dog perspective.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

colas posted:

What's a good camera to attach to a small dog? It's a terrier like toto from Wizard of Oz. There are actually two dogs and they thrown down like MMA and it's hilarious. I think it would be cool to get some good footage from dog perspective.

GoPro? They even make little harnesses for pets.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Etrips posted:

GoPro? They even make little harnesses for pets.

Yeah I'm thinking that would be best. But it's so big it would probably distract them from playing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Go pros don't really work that well on pets, they are too big unless you get a harness specifically for it, and then it has a problem of wobbling back and forth. Same for attaching it to the collar.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

Go pros don't really work that well on pets, they are too big unless you get a harness specifically for it, and then it has a problem of wobbling back and forth. Same for attaching it to the collar.

Obvious answer is a helmet then.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Etrips posted:

Obvious answer is a helmet then.
You can see an example of the collar-cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0Q1HSpztM

That was the next logical step, so of course a helmet was constructed out of tape.

Remy finally had enough and anger pooped in the hallway. Then, thinking maybe it wouldn't be seen, picked up the poo and put it in the middle of the floor so you'd have to step over it.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Bhodi posted:

You can see an example of the collar-cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0Q1HSpztM

That was the next logical step, so of course a helmet was constructed out of tape.

Remy finally had enough and anger pooped in the hallway. Then, thinking maybe it wouldn't be seen, picked up the poo and put it in the middle of the floor so you'd have to step over it.

Uh, I for one would like to see this video