Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are the big NA servers good in terms of market prices/general friendliness? The most popular ones seem to be Gilgamesh and Balmung considering it's near impossible to make a character there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are the big NA servers good in terms of market prices/general friendliness? The most popular ones seem to be Gilgamesh and Balmung considering it's near impossible to make a character there.
Here be two very dangerous places.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Excalibur is the goon server and I don't know why you wouldn't roll there.

Assuming you have your reasons, big servers are fine. People on excal are friendly and the markets are fine and excal is a huge server. I know nothing of Gilgamesh. Balmung is the RP server so it's full of the ERP crazies.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Failboattootoot posted:

Excalibur is the goon server and I don't know why you wouldn't roll there.

Assuming you have your reasons, big servers are fine. People on excal are friendly and the markets are fine and excal is a huge server. I know nothing of Gilgamesh. Balmung is the RP server so it's full of the ERP crazies.

Gilgamesh is also an RP server, I think

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Fister Roboto posted:

What's wrong with this post?

Grace is just trying to fit in, man.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Balmung is really chill and friendly, in my experience. Outside of hunts when they're relevant to progression, but I'm pretty sure hunts are some degree of toxic (at least sometimes) on every server when one or another patch makes them relevant.

You don't encounter much RP outside of adventurer's guilds or the bar in Ishgard, and I think I may have stumbled across some ERP maybe once in the two years I've been playing here. RPers are also a generally chill and friendly sort. My only beef with them is that their writing is frequently overwrought and run-on to the point of making me - or the game itself :v: - look terse and concise. Generally my reaction is an internal "goddammit RPers, learn to use periods and paragraphs!". So with that being the extent of how objectionable they are...

All that said, I'll echo that Excalibur is Goon Central and if you have even the remotest desire to play with goons, you should roll there instead. It is, of course, just as difficult to get on there as it is to get on Gilgamesh or Balmung, but that's what server transfer or pre/post-maintenance character creation is for. (These days, even "get up really loving early" doesn't seem to work too consistently.)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, uh, with PLD chat over the past few pages I'm switching to WAR, but with this recent chat, should I put the bonus points in to vit or str?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So, uh, with PLD chat over the past few pages I'm switching to WAR, but with this recent chat, should I put the bonus points in to vit or str?

str

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Strength. Vit is for bleeding edge progression raiders or pussies.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bonus points in strength, accessories in strength, swap accessories one at a time to vitality as needed.

If you're doing Savage Alex, are rich enough not to mind the expense, and would otherwise be using a combo of strength and vitality accessories, you get more of both by using crafted pentamelded accessories with both stats on them (one naturally, one from melding). For anything less than Savage Alex you can still do this too, and it helps for the same reasons, but it's that much harder to justify the expense. (Plus it's increasingly easy to tank those things in straight strength accessories anyway.)

When leveling/gearing, up to date (and if crafted, HQ) weapon is most important for threat. And up to date, HQ, and tank-flavored (WAR/PLD/DRK, sometimes WAR/PLD/DRK/DRG) left-side armor is most important for non-squishiness.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you don't have a desire to play with goons and/or pull your hair out trying to get into those servers, Adamantoise is a generally chill and friendly place that's typically pretty easy to get into.

No I'm not at all biased.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Reducing your tank stance use from 'minimal' to 'nonexistent' is a bigger dps increase than whatever else you can do, regardless of what tank you have in the not-War spot, and PLD enables that with strength down easily.

I'm really not going to deconstruct because this is a boring derail and it's honestly unambiguous what is better party DPS. Look at the parses I linked, none of those top parsing warriors needed a paladin. There is no proof that what you are saying is a thing, halone is not missed.

https://gyazo.com/edd7119fb3c148f472468a9f71d5ec39

2500 combined DPS from both tanks, you think that warrior isn't already dropping definance? How is a tank spamming halone and being a damage sponge comparing to this?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Velveteen posted:

Now that I have a Scholar at lv 60, I'm thinking of the next job to play. Probably a melee DPS or tank. I got my thaumaturge to 26 to get swiftcast and it was the most boring thing ever as all I did was spam fire 1 until my fingers broke off. So goons, whats a fun melee class that has a lot of buttons I can push to give the illusion of difficulty?

BLM has the problem that it's boring as gently caress until you start picking up stuff like Fire 3, Blizzard 3, Thundercloud and Firestarter.. You still don't have a lot of buttons compared to SMN, and I can understand not wanting to take it that far, but playing chicken with your Enochian timer and thinking 'ok, can I use this Thundercloud proc before it drops off/should I use this F3 now or save it in case I have to move?' can be pretty fun. (Of course, hitting Swiftcast right before the boss enters a 10-second phase transition and losing your Enochian is the exact opposite of fun.)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you don't have a desire to play with goons and/or pull your hair out trying to get into those servers, Adamantoise is a generally chill and friendly place that's typically pretty easy to get into.

Who are you on Adamantoise? I know pksage and I are in the same FC, I only knew of one other goon who played but I'm pretty sure it wasn't you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Klungar posted:

Who are you on Adamantoise? I know pksage and I are in the same FC, I only knew of one other goon who played but I'm pretty sure it wasn't you.

Steady Ember. I actually haven't been on in a month or so though.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Really? Guess I better unsub now that I'm 60

Unironically what I did after clearing alex normal. Great game but not worth 15/mo for the anemic amount of end game content. I plan to buy the next expansion and get the free month and catch up and clear all the new content within it, then repeat for every expansion after.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

psymonkey posted:

Unironically what I did after clearing alex normal. Great game but not worth 15/mo for the anemic amount of end game content. I plan to buy the next expansion and get the free month and catch up and clear all the new content within it, then repeat for every expansion after.

thats cool

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Fishious posted:

I'm really not going to deconstruct because this is a boring derail and it's honestly unambiguous what is better party DPS. Look at the parses I linked, none of those top parsing warriors needed a paladin. There is no proof that what you are saying is a thing, halone is not missed.

https://gyazo.com/edd7119fb3c148f472468a9f71d5ec39

2500 combined DPS from both tanks, you think that warrior isn't already dropping definance? How is a tank spamming halone and being a damage sponge comparing to this?

Stuff like this. Where the DRK for some miraculous reason needed tank stance on an A3S clear but for some reason the PLD did not.

http://puu.sh/jGJIx/c4b7ebaf98.png

http://i.imgur.com/0wGhDW4.png

To be fair the DRK/WAR combo had the WAR die, but the DRK on a minutely slower kill clearly actually put out less dps than the PLD. I mean sure you can say the DRK is a bad, but if people clearing A3S are 'bads' then I dunno what standard we should hold tank players to at this point.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh hey, fellow Adamantoise goon! Yeah, friends and I picked that server because we could all make characters on it the same night :V

EDIT: I just started playing a couple months ago, but if you're looking lowbie dungeon healing or whatevs, I'm Ralena Tavel.

saphron fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 5, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Swaglord Fourtwenty

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Cactuar is a nice server too but very very quiet. I'll be transferring soon.

Not sure if I want to go onto Excalibur so I can join you goons or to Odin so I can be with some fellow Europeans. I have a hard time really fitting in so I can imagine being on Excalibur would be just as lonely as being on Cactuar.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

My girlfriend's sister play on Balmung as a catguy and has a catguy RP harem so do with that information what you will

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

Koji and Soken's wild ride was amazing. Other noteworthy poo poo:

All song lyrics are canon.
There was a sing-along of the A4 song with Soken on electric guitar and Koji on lead vocals.

I got a ticket to the signing event with Soken so I'm pretty pumped.

I finally caught up on the thread after PAX. I got one of those tickets too, so I got all my FFXIV soundtracks signed now. Yay!

Koji Fox stuck around for a bit after the panel and talked to a small group about some more lore things. One of the more interesting stories he related was that apparently Square Enix marketing was convinced people would read "Heavensward" as "Heaven Sward" and be confused about what a "sward" was. "Sward" is a real word: it's a field of short grass, so he named an area in the Churning Mists "Greensward" as a tiny dig at the marketing department.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Koji Fox stuck around for a bit after the panel and talked to a small group about some more lore things. One of the more interesting stories he related was that apparently Square Enix marketing was convinced people would read "Heavensward" as "Heaven Sward" and be confused about what a "sward" was. "Sward" is a real word: it's a field of short grass, so he named an area in the Churning Mists "Greensward" as a tiny dig at the marketing department.

Their marketing department was 100% right

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

[9:15]You obtain Gestahl.

He rolls over when you /pet him.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 5, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

[9:15]You obtain Gestahl.

He rolls over when you /pet him.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I want that puppy!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I want that puppy!

Needs a level 55 fishing retainer with 312 gathering to do waterside ex 18. I just got really loving lucky. They are available on the MB on excal for about 2.6 million gil.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Needs a level 55 fishing retainer with 312 gathering to do waterside ex 18. I just got really loving lucky. They are available on the MB on excal for about 2.6 million gil.

I don't have either of those things, just a good home to adopt a cute lil puppy into!!

Note: character is actually homeless.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007

Solefald posted:

Not sure if I want to go onto Excalibur so I can join you goons or to Odin so I can be with some fellow Europeans. I have a hard time really fitting in so I can imagine being on Excalibur would be just as lonely as being on Cactuar.

Excalibur is a nice place. I'm euro myself and there's always someone on to talk to or do things with. I'd recommend rolling there instead of trying your luck with random people, honestly. If you've got friends somewhere else I'd consider it but if not, just hop on Excal.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

I finally caught up on the thread after PAX. I got one of those tickets too, so I got all my FFXIV soundtracks signed now. Yay!

While perhaps it was somewhat sarcastically, I've actually had people ask me what a sward is when talking about Heavensward. But hey now I know it's a real thing and not a Bostonian talking about claymores.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

psymonkey posted:

This is why I won't roll the GP bonus, people. :colbert:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Fluegel posted:

Excalibur is a nice place. I'm euro myself and there's always someone on to talk to or do things with. I'd recommend rolling there instead of trying your luck with random people, honestly. If you've got friends somewhere else I'd consider it but if not, just hop on Excal.

Thanks for the recommendation. Come payday I'll transfer my lalafell over!

I'm a level 36 Maurader but some folk in a dungeon got mad that I wasn't a warrior yet so now I'm grinding as a gladiator so I can be a warrior and ughhh, it's boring alone.

That and it'd be nice to just chill on teamspeak etc. While grinding for fish. Excal should be good then I guess.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

This is why I won't roll the GP bonus, people. :colbert:

That's really like, not anywhere close to the best way to experience this game either. So much cool stuff happens at major patches that are way more interesting and fun if you experience them with everyone else. I understand even if I don't agree with people who just buy a month every major patch, but it's already looking like x.00 are pretty much the worst versions of the game all the way back to 1.00. 2.1 was a huge improvement, and 3.1 isn't looking bad itself.

Like, 1.00 was famously a garbage mess with not only no endgame content but a system designed to actively punishing you for trying to get there, 2.00 didn't really have anything to work toward other than levelling alts as the relic quests were pretty simple and one could only spend so much time in coil, and 3.00 similarly really only has a couple weeklies to get out of the way and even the raiding is largely inaccessible compared to first coil, so much like 2.00 there's not a lot to do or grind outside of leveling and gearing alt classes. The quality of life stuff they introduce in x.1 onwards alone is generally great.

Just thinking about missing out on Crystal Tower back when it was A Thing makes me so sad. Alliance C, semper geometricus.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

That's really like, not anywhere close to the best way to experience this game either. So much cool stuff happens at major patches that are way more interesting and fun if you experience them with everyone else. I understand even if I don't agree with people who just buy a month every major patch, but it's already looking like x.00 are pretty much the worst versions of the game all the way back to 1.00. 2.1 was a huge improvement, and 3.1 isn't looking bad itself.

Like, 1.00 was famously a garbage mess with not only no endgame content but a system designed to actively punishing you for trying to get there, 2.00 didn't really have anything to work toward other than levelling alts as the relic quests were pretty simple and one could only spend so much time in coil, and 3.00 similarly really only has a couple weeklies to get out of the way and even the raiding is largely inaccessible compared to first coil, so much like 2.00 there's not a lot to do or grind outside of leveling and gearing alt classes. The quality of life stuff they introduce in x.1 onwards alone is generally great.

Just thinking about missing out on Crystal Tower back when it was A Thing makes me so sad. Alliance C, semper geometricus.

2.0 was actually my favorite era of crafting/gathering. It had a nice ceiling that wasn't too high and wasn't too low and you could bypass the RNG if you were willing to invest enough to do so.

Other than that though, I generally agree with this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Solefald posted:

I'm a level 36 Maurader but some folk in a dungeon got mad that I wasn't a warrior yet so now I'm grinding as a gladiator so I can be a warrior and ughhh, it's boring alone.

Yeah you'll want to get that done ASAP though. Jobs are important and really you want to get them as soon as you get a class to 30.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Getting to 15 on a second class is also really fast thanks to the armory bonus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr Pepper posted:

Getting to 15 on a second class is also really fast thanks to the armory bonus.

I've always had this weird portion from 12-15 on a third class or so where you run out of quests and hunting logs but can't do dungeons yet. Outside of running around Aleport doing FATEs there aren't many options.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guildleves. The Armory Bonus applies to them

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah you'll want to get that done ASAP though. Jobs are important and really you want to get them as soon as you get a class to 30.

Yeah I wasn't really aware until I was told. The party I was in was incredibly surprised we survived Brayflox's Longstop with an amateur Maurader!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Solefald posted:

Quiet? If you're on Euro time perhaps? Our population isn't far off Excalibur.

• Locked thread