Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

therattle posted:

We are vegetarian at home (and I don't do pork!). But thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I cooked vegetarian for a whole week this summer while trying out new recipes and I didn't even realize it until after the fact.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xoidanor posted:

I cooked vegetarian for a whole week this summer while trying out new recipes and I didn't even realize it until after the fact.

I haven't cooked meat since July 2007, when I moved in with my now-wife. I haven't eaten meat since last night, when I went out drinking and then had a burger. (Made with good meat - I'm careful, mostly). I enjoyed cooking meat but cooking vegetarian has in some ways made me be more creative as a cook. It's really easy to cook a piece of meat and fish and then a couple of sides, one starchy and one vegetable.

I am just about to eat, but tonight I did cabbage braised with sesame (tahini), miso, mirin, soy and ginger, mushrooms cooked with sesame oil, garlic and vinegar, and miso-grilled aubergines, and will serve with rice, and with tofu (with toasted sesame seeds and grated ginger).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Disco Salmon posted:

Nutmeg is a good touch for carrots too imho.

I need to try this.... How do you prep the carrots?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

I haven't cooked meat since July 2007, when I moved in with my now-wife. I haven't eaten meat since last night, when I went out drinking and then had a burger. (Made with good meat - I'm careful, mostly). I enjoyed cooking meat but cooking vegetarian has in some ways made me be more creative as a cook. It's really easy to cook a piece of meat and fish and then a couple of sides, one starchy and one vegetable.

I am just about to eat, but tonight I did cabbage braised with sesame (tahini), miso, mirin, soy and ginger, mushrooms cooked with sesame oil, garlic and vinegar, and miso-grilled aubergines, and will serve with rice, and with tofu (with toasted sesame seeds and grated ginger).

I have the problem of having underweight daughters - who I need to feed protein in bulk loads, and who loathe beans...

I cannot go vege, which would be a good thing for their biological mother and myself.

My youngest hasn't ever been a picky eater, but she eats very limited, what I can get into her needs to be loaded on every macronutrient, I mean - this is the kid who loves chocolate, but quits after half a piece because she has had enough...

How would a vege approach that kind of situation?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I have the problem of having underweight daughters - who I need to feed protein in bulk loads, and who loathe beans...

I cannot go vege, which would be a good thing for their biological mother and myself.

My youngest hasn't ever been a picky eater, but she eats very limited, what I can get into her needs to be loaded on every macronutrient, I mean - this is the kid who loves chocolate, but quits after half a piece because she has had enough...

That's tricky. We just started giving our son (aged 4) fish every now and again: smoked mackerel, as it's sustainable, has lots of good oils, and he likes it. Otherwise, my wife just started buying seitan steak to try which is actually really good. We try and have a lot of lentils and chickpeas, and we also have a decent amount of eggs, yoghurt and cheese. (And large quantities of peanut butter - or nutter peter, as he calls it). I'm wary of too much tofu because of the hormones.

It's a tough one. Meat is very handy because it's so nutritionally dense.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Happy Hat posted:

As therattle said, eggs, yogurt, cheese? Do they like / stomach those? Good alternatives to beans I guess. Maybe working in nut butters into stuff?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So O went to buy some Roses Lime to make my bad Gimlet but I could only find huge bottles and I can't make myself spend $7 on colored corn syrup that I would throw away after using 2 ounces.

In other news, I have secured 25 pounds of Hatch chilies. I'm going to roast them on Sunday and would love a good green chili sauce recipe. I found a few online but I am not sure who to trust. I want to keep half to make pork green chili and make the other half into sauce to freeze.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

So O went to buy some Roses Lime to make my bad Gimlet but I could only find huge bottles and I can't make myself spend $7 on colored corn syrup that I would throw away after using 2 ounces.

In other news, I have secured 25 pounds of Hatch chilies. I'm going to roast them on Sunday and would love a good green chili sauce recipe. I found a few online but I am not sure who to trust. I want to keep half to make pork green chili and make the other half into sauce to freeze.

25 pounds! Jesus, Mary and Joseph! That's a lot of chillies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nah, I did 50 pounds a few weeks ago. Hatch's are worth all the peeling.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I got a lady coming back to the city from visiting family in ABQ and she is bringing me hatch chilis and a whiskey that no longer exists in my market. Life, she ain't so bad.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Gordon's and Tanqueray are the same company, but are you sure they're the same spirit? This is the only place I've ever seen or heard that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm in New Mexico and it's clearly Chili season. Down in Santa Fe I saw a big semi-truck full of hatch chilis with a little roasting cart right next to it. My local grocer has a roaster in their parking lot where you can roast flats of chilis you buy in the store. I've never done that since what the hell am I going to do with a million chilis? My freezer may not even fit that many!

About vegetarian protein: Seitan is some good stuff. It's really easy to make too if you skip to buying vital wheat gluten. Way cheaper too!

And is the tofu/hormones thing a big deal? I always figured it was bogus but I never looked into it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
QCS > Why is TCC still around?

-Troika- posted:

There's also the TCC goon who decided to go on a drive while high out of his mind, passed out in his driveway, and got cooked inside his car like an egg because all the windows were closed and it was hot and sunny out

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I remember that. And then his wife was trying to cheat the system to get more money from his death.

reignofevil posted:

I think the real issue here is that we don't have an entire subforum dedicated to using dead people to scam money from the government.

"Cadaver's Corner"?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Weekend At Burnout's.

Some of the Sheep posted:

I always preferred Goons with Spoons.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
ahh ziing!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

bunnielab posted:

I'm told that AZ people let the grocer/side-of-the-road-guy/whoever roast them for ya. Then they throw them back in the case box inside a plastic bag to steam. Then when you get home you peel them all and freeze them in ziplog bags fo 8-10 chiles each. So that's what I do.

I've always just taken a bag out and thawed, seeded, and stuck 'em in a jar. Use for a few days and then say, "drat, this is going to go bad." So I put a big pinch of salt, a big glug of vinegar, and puree 'em. They seem to keep like that indefinitely. I've also canned a whole year's worth pretty much the same way, just chilis, salt, and enough vinegar to make me feel safe. Delicious and all-purpose that way.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

I need to try this.... How do you prep the carrots?

This is the usual recipe I use when I make nutmeg carrots. It's really just glazed carrots with a bit of a spice kick. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229673/spicy-glazed-carrots/

It's nothing fancy, but its different and quite a nice change.

In case you were interested, Happy....this other recipe here: http://www.rachelcooks.com/2013/03/20/roasted-carrots-with-thyme-and-nutmeg/ is quite good as well. I made these as a side dish last Thanksgiving and it was a hit.

My grandmother used to do Minty Carrots for our Sunday Dinners, but would use fresh chopped mint leaves over pan cooked carrot coins with butter.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Filboid Studge posted:

Gordon's and Tanqueray are the same company, but are you sure they're the same spirit? This is the only place I've ever seen or heard that.

They're not the same to my palate.
Gordons is the #1 gin in Australia, the standard well drink at pubs and clubs, and every shop sells it.
What I'm saying is that I've had a lot of gordons, and I always drink a spirit without mixer a lot in order to get the taste. I've bought Tanqueray a few times when it was on sale for $40, and it's a different taste (gordons is usually $37 and tanq $50+).

Only 1 shop/chain I know of sells beef eater, and only 1 shop sells greenalls, so if I'm somewhere else and tanqueray is not on special, gordons was the only choice. So I've drank enough of it alongside the odd tanq to say there's a big difference, at least in Australia.

E: I've read somewhere that greenall's distillery produces a lot of labels inc. bombay sapphire and is one of the biggest English distillerys. But that's not to say greenalls tastes like Bombay sapphire.

E: VVV
Yep, the 'sin' taxes here, and the prices on everything else is high.

On the other hand, I don't pay much for doctors or medication (any gov approved prescription is $6.10), hospital emergency visits are free, many doctors will see you for free, yesterday I went to the dentist and only paid $20.
Also, if booze was your prices, I would have drunk myself to death by now.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 5, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You guys pay too much. I pay 15 USD for 1.75 litres of Gordon's.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Forgot to add, there's an extra tax called (alcopop tax), on premixed spirits, wine coolers etc, to discourage kids from drinking any ready to drink booze that wasn't regular beer or wine. The extra tax on premix drinks means a g&t or whiskey and cola in a 375ml can is $5 ea. It raised an extra $3.5 billion as of a couple of years ago

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was being a little trolly when I said Gordons was rebottled tanqueray, but they are the same company, and do taste very similar. I approve of both!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You guys pay too much. I pay 15 USD for 1.75 litres of Gordon's.

Yes, cheap booze and expensive healthcare sounds much better than the reverse.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bunnielab posted:

But it, don't throw it away. A pint of Roses and soda is a wonderful thing when you're hungover...

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Yes, cheap booze and expensive healthcare sounds much better than the reverse.

Cheap healthcare will help you deal with sickness, but cheap booze can help you deal with everything else in life.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

Cheap healthcare will help you deal with sickness, but cheap booze can help you deal with everything else in life.

With cheap booze you need cheap healthcare!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Just picked up a quarter cow. I'm kind of mad because they gave me a bunch of cube steak that I said I didn't want on the phone and the other steaks were cut to quarter inch thickness. I don't understand why they had to chop up everything so much or pound things I wanted whole. I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing but am I being unreasonable here?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rurutia posted:

Just picked up a quarter cow. I'm kind of mad because they gave me a bunch of cube steak that I said I didn't want on the phone and the other steaks were cut to quarter inch thickness. I don't understand why they had to chop up everything so much or pound things I wanted whole. I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing but am I being unreasonable here?

I'd be furious if I got a bunch of steak meat and it was all 1/4" thick cut. That really limits the ways you can prep it by a lot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Same here. If I bought a lot of cow, I'd want it in primals so I could cut it how I wanted, not just get bulk steak. For me to buy that much meat, the sole purpose would be to tailor my own cuts.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

With cheap booze you need cheap healthcare!

if by cheap healthcare you mean free liver transplants, then yes.

I should probably move to the UK... :unsmith:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I wouldn't even be mad if they weren't quarter inch! I don't understand wtf I'm supposed to do with quarter inch steaks. It's either sv to medium rare or sear for color. I guess I can sv, then freeze before sear.

I'm trying to get my anger down before I email about this.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rurutia posted:

I wouldn't even be mad if they weren't quarter inch! I don't understand wtf I'm supposed to do with quarter inch steaks. It's either sv to medium rare or sear for color. I guess I can sv, then freeze before sear.

smash with the textured end of a meat hammer, bread, fry, and top with sausage gravy you big idiot

COUNTRY FRIED STEAK JFC

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also no if you ordered a quarter animal and they gave you chopped up nonsense that's bogus

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

smash with the textured end of a meat hammer, bread, fry, and top with sausage gravy you big idiot

COUNTRY FRIED STEAK JFC

Mmm deep fried ribeye and tenderloin I paid out the rear end for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Man, you typing about it is making me angry and I'm not even involved. That really sucks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a bay tree on my balcony, and it's just about the best thing ever.

I'm not sure how much of a hearing it has on your ruined cow, but I'm sure if you had a bay tree it would improve your mood.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mrs. Squashy has started a 9-5 office job, her first ever (she can't chef anymore since her foot surgery). This is the first time she has ever had weekends off, on Friday nights we've been doing a pizza and beer party.

Last night my buddy ordered a pie called "The Mack Daddy", which is Big Mac pizza: hamburger and cheese pizza, and then after they pull it out of the oven, they pile shredded lettuce, chopped pickles and onions on top, and then squirt special sauce all over it. It was greasy, but it was loving GOOD. I never imagined that I would like iceberg lettuce and/or pickles on a pizza!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I have a bay tree on my balcony, and it's just about the best thing ever.

I'm not sure how much of a hearing it has on your ruined cow, but I'm sure if you had a bay tree it would improve your mood.

I don't have a bay tree, but I do have a bay window. Dies that count?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mrs. Squashy has started a 9-5 office job, her first ever (she can't chef anymore since her foot surgery). This is the first time she has ever had weekends off, on Friday nights we've been doing a pizza and beer party.

Last night my buddy ordered a pie called "The Mack Daddy", which is Big Mac pizza: hamburger and cheese pizza, and then after they pull it out of the oven, they pile shredded lettuce, chopped pickles and onions on top, and then squirt special sauce all over it. It was greasy, but it was loving GOOD. I never imagined that I would like iceberg lettuce and/or pickles on a pizza!

You're dead to me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOL, worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sounds like a good start, but that pizza could use a good dose of bearnaise.