Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

bandman posted:

Moist, salty air makes Florida cars rust like a motherfucker.
Only if you're within 2 miles of the coast. Florida is as good as any other southern state if you're outside that. My parents tend to own cars for 10 years and they are about 7 miles inland. No rust whatsoever..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not even a problem on the coast, I have yet to see a rusted out car anywhere in FL that isn't from a northern state.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Wrar posted:

Only if you're within 2 miles of the coast. Florida is as good as any other southern state if you're outside that. My parents tend to own cars for 10 years and they are about 7 miles inland. No rust whatsoever..

Like someone said earlier, unless you live on a sand bar that is completely underwater in a bad storm, this isnt a thing. I've lived within a mile of the beach in miami for almost 10 years now and rust simply is not a thing. I would walk away from a car with 2 little rust spots.

Not really due to vanity, but not having seized, stripped and broken bolts makes wrenching on cars a joy.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
1995 NA 1.8L. CAS O-ring slowly leaking, needs replacement. I'm looking to do the heater hoses under there at the same time, since the oil's been dripping on them. Is there fluid in those hoses when the car's at rest, or not? I'd like to replace those hoses without draining the radiator.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're gonna have to drain it unless you want coolant to spill out of the hoses, it's up to you, but it will be a lot less messy if you just drain the radiator first it's not hard to do in the slightest.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Having to borrow garage space to do this, so the non-messy version it is. Appreciate it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just got complimented on the Miata by some young dude with his friends in an SUV on the ride home from work. :3:

Somehow he knew I had a turbo but wasn't familiar with the MSM. :confused: It's not like the turbo in this thing is loud or anything, and I wasn't really driving aggressively (until their SUV got beside me, his driver clearly was in the mood for some fun. ;))

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I cant put a hardtop on (my summer car has one). Driving top down in the icy cold was part of my "winter miata" fantasy :)

Wait, wait. You can't put a hardtop on your hypothetical Winter Miata because why?

If your Summer car already has one, and you're not going to drive that in the Winter...then transfer it to the Winter Miata for that season! :downs: All you really have to do is make sure the cars have the same latches & defroster connector.

Also, as someone who's had to deal with terrible Winters his entire life...you will not enjoy driving top down in the Winter. It's cold enough with the top up (think sub-freezing for much of the time) and you wouldn't be able to deal with our Winters top-down. Plus, if you're anywhere that uses salt in the Winter, well that stuff gets everywhere, so you'd have to deal with salt inside your car. I hope you're looking forward to getting salt all over your interior! :toot:

Trust me, get a nice, comfortable AWD car for the Winter. There's a reason we all have CR-Vs....

MattD1zzl3 posted:

i do but a possible move in the next few months has me thinking about saving my "hawaii-florida only" NA from salt and snow

You're going to ship a car from Florida to Hawaii?! How much does that cost? :eyepop:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I might be confusing him with someone else but I thought he was moving to Cleveand.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I might be confusing him with someone else but I thought he was moving to Cleveand.

Maybe, but look at his quote. I suppose he could just be dreaming about driving his Miata in Hawaii. :allears:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought he meant that his car has only seen Florida and Hawaii.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

Having to borrow garage space to do this, so the non-messy version it is. Appreciate it.

You don't need to have garage space :v:

I do everything on my car within this parking space.

I wish I had a covered garage...

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

mariooncrack posted:

I thought he meant that his car has only seen Florida and Hawaii.

This is correct

mariooncrack posted:

This is correct

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 7, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

leica posted:

This a bullshit myth. I've lived on the Gulf coast for over 20 years and only once did I ever see a vehicle rusted by "salt air" and it was an old Jeep that sat for years unwashed at a beach house, literally yards away from the water. Even then it was just surface rust, nothing remotely close to what happens to a car up north. Even on the barrier islands that are surrounded by salt water there is no such thing as rust, I don't know where people get this idea from.

When I was in Hawaii last year I saw a ton of rusted-to-hell trucks, even fairly new models. Is that just from locals driving em out on the beach? More rain? Or more a reflection of Toyota metal quality (it was usually tacomas) :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

When I was in Hawaii last year I saw a ton of rusted-to-hell trucks, even fairly new models. Is that just from locals driving em out on the beach? More rain? Or more a reflection of Toyota metal quality (it was usually tacomas) :v:

Small islands in the middle of the ocean are probably a different story, I've heard stories of it being an issue in Hawaii.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

leica posted:

Small islands in the middle of the ocean are probably a different story, I've heard stories of it being an issue in Hawaii.

I'm in Hawaii. My project didn't have a bolt that wasn't rusted on.

If the car spends any time on the windward side, it's a rust bucket. Same for anywhere the wind blows ocean water inland.

Living up island it rains enough to cause issues too

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

You don't need to have garage space :v:

I do everything on my car within this parking space.

I wish I had a covered garage...

Parking space is a luxury I don't have. Park on the street, and working on it there is both dumb and apparently illegal.

Buying a house soon, just so I can have my own garage space. Sooon.....

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

TheNothingNew posted:

Parking space is a luxury I don't have. Park on the street, and working on it there is both dumb and apparently illegal.

"Why would you fix your own car when you could just take it to the dealer?" - Someone who has the spare time to be on a HOA board/Apartment management.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I was driving to work this afternoon...and I ran over a cat. :( It ran into the street, got as far as the driver's side of my car, just about three car lengths ahead, got spooked when it saw me coming and stopped to turn around and run back the other way...except it only got as far as the passenger's side wheels. :(

I'm not a cat person, but I feel like poo poo even though I know it wasn't my fault.

It was captured on my dash cam. :nms:

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear
How much should you pay for a new top for an NA, installed? My dad just had his replaced (it had a few pinholes and was a bit leaky), and I want to know if he got screwed or not.

Atomizer posted:

So I was driving to work this afternoon...and I ran over a cat. :( It ran into the street, got as far as the driver's side of my car, just about three car lengths ahead, got spooked when it saw me coming and stopped to turn around and run back the other way...except it only got as far as the passenger's side wheels. :(

That sucks, did it at least die on impact?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Atomizer posted:

I'm not a cat person, but I feel like poo poo even though I know it wasn't my fault.

It was captured on my dash cam. :nms:

Is your Miata ok? :ohdear:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 7, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hit a golden retriever when I had my '91. Felt like I hit a truck.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I had a German Shepherd ambush my 10ae. He left some fur in the gap between the fender and the bumper :classiclol:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Trans Ferdinand posted:

How much should you pay for a new top for an NA, installed? My dad just had his replaced (it had a few pinholes and was a bit leaky), and I want to know if he got screwed or not.

That sucks, did it at least die on impact?

Rough guess on the top, depending on region, etc.: $500+ for the top, and a few hundred for labor. Self-installation has been reported as taking several hours (often performed over a weekend, even) and I suppose a dedicated shop could do it in a few. It wouldn't surprise me if your dad paid ~$1k total. Pretty much everyone who's done it themselves has said that it's worth it to pay someone else to do it.

Yeah, I looked in the mirror and it was motionless on the side of the road, legs in the air. I watched for it on the way home, but it was dark and I think I saw the roadkill where I thought it was supposed to be, however a cop was pulling over a dude right there so I could barely see it and didn't get it on the dashcam.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is your Miata ok? :ohdear:

Yeah, the car's ok, I looked at it after I arrived and there wasn't even any blood or fur. I just rolled right over the thing. :( It was an adult cat, but probably still weighed no more than 10 pounds. The thing is, the car only has about 4" of ground clearance nominally, and although it hasn't been intentionally lowered I think it's got a bit less than that due to the wheel change. I think the cat could've fit underneath if it hugged the ground, but even then it would've been close. If I tried to straddle it I would've smacked the thing in the head and possibly decapitated it, getting a cat head stuck in my intercooler. The fucker would've been fine if he'd just kept running! :(

leica posted:

I hit a golden retriever when I had my '91. Felt like I hit a truck.

Goober Peas posted:

I had a German Shepherd ambush my 10ae. He left some fur in the gap between the fender and the bumper :classiclol:

It's been many years, but I still remember the instructor from driver's ed. Basically he told us to swerve to dodge anything large (e.g. deer) that could injure you in a collision, but if you see a small mammal in the road (squirrel, bunny, skunk, and even a "small doggie or kitty") just hold the wheel and drive over it. No sense in endangering yourself and other drivers just for a small animal that didn't have enough sense not to run out in front of a moving vehicle. I agree with the sentiment, but it still sucks to have gone through it. It appeared to be a fit, groomed animal, in a mixed residential & commercial area, meaning I killed someone's pet....

Now a retriever or GSD are reasonably large dogs; what kind of damage did they do to your Miatas?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Atomizer posted:

Now a retriever or GSD are reasonably large dogs; what kind of damage did they do to your Miatas?

I didn't hit the dog, the dog hit me! :dogbutton:

I was going ~30ish through a residential neighborhood and he nailed me in the driver's rear quarter panel. It left a very slight ding and some surface scratches in the fender, and a lot of fur and skin wedged between the bumper and the fender.

A few weeks later I was T-boned by a teenage girl (on her cell phone) trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic at the end of a freeway on-ramp. It was totalled.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Surprisingly it didn't do that much damage to my car, just a big dent in the left front bumper area, I just popped out the dent and then cleaned off the blood and guts.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Rough guess on the top, depending on region, etc.: $500+ for the top, and a few hundred for labor. Self-installation has been reported as taking several hours (often performed over a weekend, even) and I suppose a dedicated shop could do it in a few. It wouldn't surprise me if your dad paid ~$1k total. Pretty much everyone who's done it themselves has said that it's worth it to pay someone else to do it.

First time ever putting a top on. Got a Robbins for like $2XX from Moss Miata. It took around 1.5 hours to put it on the frame. Worst part was figuring out how pop rivets work.

Getting it on the car was another hour and a half. The worst part is we have a roll bar, so there are two goddamn retarded bolts we couldn't reach. You need a partner to push the metal frames in because the top tries to pull away.

Not the worst job ever, not the least infuriating either. Totally worth not spending 1k for a shop to do it though.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Laranzu posted:

First time ever putting a top on. Got a Robbins for like $2XX from Moss Miata. It took around 1.5 hours to put it on the frame. Worst part was figuring out how pop rivets work.

Getting it on the car was another hour and a half. The worst part is we have a roll bar, so there are two goddamn retarded bolts we couldn't reach. You need a partner to push the metal frames in because the top tries to pull away.

Not the worst job ever, not the least infuriating either. Totally worth not spending 1k for a shop to do it though.

I did a quick run-through of Moss and most of the tops are in the $500-700 range. The same ones without the rain rail (which you'd probably need anyway) are $400-500. There are some panoramic tops in the $200-400 range, vinyl in $300-400. So yeah, some are available for $200-300 like the one you got apparently, but I'd be more comfortable with a higher-quality cloth top. That being said, there's nothing wrong with you picking whatever top you got if it works for you.

As far as the labor is concerned, note that my $1k estimate was not just for the shop to do it; it included the $500-600 for a new (canvas) top. According to your description, you may have gotten off easy with the install, but keep in mind your time estimate alone was a minimum of 3 hours, and if your partner was helping the whole time that's 6 hours of labor. Some people don't have the time or experience to do a job like this themselves, and more importantly correctly, so a few hundred extra for professional installation is perfectly acceptable. I personally don't have a lot of free time to devote to what you've described as a frustrating job, so I'm OK spending ~$300 or whatever for installation once every ~15 years. Luckily my top is in great shape so I won't have to deal with this any time soon, but based on your description $500-1000 for the top & professional installation sounds like a reasonable estimate.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
PRHT 4 Lyfe

I'll gladly take the 80lb penalty to not have #softtopproblems

(Yeah, I know its not an option for NA or NB, but if anyone reading this is considering an NC, hold out until you find a PRHT)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Agreed. It has it's drawbacks if you're interested in road racing, but for autox and daily driving, it can't be beat.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GEMorris posted:

PRHT 4 Lyfe

I'll gladly take the 80lb penalty to not have #softtopproblems

(Yeah, I know its not an option for NA or NB, but if anyone reading this is considering an NC, hold out until you find a PRHT)

My soft top was all UVed to hell and had an ever enlarging tear around the window frame so I took it out when I put the hard top on. I can still do topless driving, I just have to commit!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The kitty was still there at the side of the road, two days later. :( We're pretty bad about cleaning up roadkill around here, although it's usually just skunks or raccoons or whatever. I mean I'm over what happened, but it probably doesn't help that I gave him a name. WHY, CHAIRMAN MEOW, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO JUMP IN FRONT OF MY CAR?!? :cry:

Ever since I ran over the drat thing I've been seeing a LOT of cat references, including but not limited to two separate Family Guy episodes on Adult Swim: one where Peter's Mom dies and he has the vet kill her cat and dump it into her casket, and the other where he kills Quagmire's cat James. Coincidence? Absolutely. Still freaks me out! :D

To top that all off, while driving home last night I coasted to a stoplight and a short ways ahead noticed some flickering in the lights. "Am I just seeing reflections or is there something in the road?" loving DEER!!! It was still pretty far ahead and I was coasting slowly, so I didn't get close enough to hit it, but still, that would be my luck as of late.

Today the Miata failed emissions; apparently the car's OBD system isn't communicating at all. :suicide: I'm just going to have my mechanic take care of it because I don't know how to and I also haven't been able to solve the vibration problem, so he can deal with all that.

Oh yeah, the cool thing about my Kosei rims that I only figured out recently (and I don't think I've written it here yet): since they each have two valves I can fill a tire with air while simultaneously monitoring the pressure with an accurate gauge! :smugdog:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Fully expecting the autocross to put the nail in our chattering clutch, I went ahead and ordered the 1.8 clutch and a 13lb Flywheel.

And every gasket because the history of working on this car proves they will be rocks/dust.

Going to be an interesting project.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I actually went to Nurburgring with a new clutch kit in my trunk because the noises it was making prior made me think it was going to explode any day now. It's still working like it always has though so I'm not sure if I'll ever get to replace it.

I bought the rear main seal as well, is there anything else that would make sense to replace at the same time?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I actually went to Nurburgring with a new clutch kit in my trunk because the noises it was making prior made me think it was going to explode any day now. It's still working like it always has though so I'm not sure if I'll ever get to replace it.

I bought the rear main seal as well, is there anything else that would make sense to replace at the same time?

Does your clutch kit include a pilot bearing? Because if you're going for the rear main seal then you're already halfway towards getting it out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if it was included or I got it separately, but yeah I have the pilot bearing as well. It actually seems to be making some noise too whenever the clutch is engaged (but especially obvious at idle in neutral).

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Not sure if it was included or I got it separately, but yeah I have the pilot bearing as well. It actually seems to be making some noise too whenever the clutch is engaged (but especially obvious at idle in neutral).

Transmission has a front and rear oil seal as well. I got all those

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Does anyone have an extra (working) airbag computer for a '94? I think mine is on the fritz, and tearing it open to manually replsce electrolytics sounds like no fun.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FWIW, my clutch has made a clattering sound when I push it in since I got the car. I'd assume it does it in all gears, but I can only hear it in first and reverse. I haven't bought the parts for a new clutch yet, but it's had ~70,000km's of daily driving, 20+ track days, and 50+ autocross events since I got it. It's also the original clutch with ~190k km's on it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My NBs clutch chattered and juddered terribly for years since I bought it in 2009 at 25K miles. There's a TSB addressing the issue: http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb05-002.02.html

I learned that if I really revved the motor and slipped the clutch at higher RPM (2500 or so) it'd smooth out. :shobon:

I'm now at almost 170k miles (two years of courier work out of that car will rack up the miles) and the clutch has got to be wearing out because it engages a lot smoother all of the time now, but it otherwise clamps strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
When hot after driving the clutch we have chatters and shudders so bad from a stop it has chirped the tires. No slip when revving and dumping the clutch at speed though.

I await the wonders of whatever awful things lurk in the transmission housing.