Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Exclamation Marx posted:

In Norway's flag the white is a stroke, to differentiate the blue & red. For red peak it's its own graphic element, representing mountains while the red represents the earth.

I don't care if you came up with it, reading those words makes me wish to enact harm of the grievous and bodily variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
That sounds more like your problem than his tbh.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

In Norway's flag the white is a stroke, to differentiate the blue & red. For red peak it's its own graphic element, representing mountains while the red represents the earth.

It looks bad, though

Also The earth isn't red here we're not Australia

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
One "recent" flag I really dig is Greenland's, which was adopted in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Greenland

The wiki article shows some of the previous contenders, which naturally were all variations of the Nordic cross. I'm actually a fan of "flag themes", such as the Nordic cross for Scandinavia and friends, or the Southern Cross for the pacific. And I was still hoping to keep the Southern Cross for any new NZ flag for exactly that reason, to cement ourselves as still being a part of the Pacific.

But then I saw some examples which used Matariki instead, and I'd be totally down for that. The way the Greenland flag has the same ratios of a Nordic Cross flag, while still doing it's own thing, we could do with replacing the Southern Cross with Matariki. Similar enough to remind you of our Pacific neighbours, but still unique.

It would also go hand in hand with the push I've noticed lately to get Matariki recognised as an official holiday (perhaps to replace Queens Birthday)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't care if you came up with it, reading those words makes me wish to enact harm of the grievous and bodily variety.

you're an idiot

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Also The earth isn't red here we're not Australia

this is basic maori mythology dude

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not are culture.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I dunno if you know this or not, but the ground is not red. You should go outside and look down. If you see red, go to a doctor and get checked for colour blindness.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

omg no way! next youll be telling me water isnt actually blue and the sun isnt actually yellow

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fong posted:

omg no way! next youll be telling me water isnt actually blue and the sun isnt actually yellow

Water is blue in large amounts due to selective absorption and refraction.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the sun is a giant ball of nuclear fusion and so should our flag be

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
right there ten meters above the beehive

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
educate thyself

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Mr. Marx please go see a doctor for your colour blindness I'm worried for you.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

But then I saw some examples which used Matariki instead, and I'd be totally down for that. The way the Greenland flag has the same ratios of a Nordic Cross flag, while still doing it's own thing, we could do with replacing the Southern Cross with Matariki. Similar enough to remind you of our Pacific neighbours, but still unique.

It would also go hand in hand with the push I've noticed lately to get Matariki recognised as an official holiday (perhaps to replace Queens Birthday)

This is very pretty, would look great on an art gallery wall. Maybe a bit too much for a flag though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I dunno if you know this or not, but the ground is not red. You should go outside and look down. If you see red, go to a doctor and get checked for colour blindness.

If my flag contains any colours not backed up by absolute scientific evidence then you drat well know I won't be saluting it

How can things represent other things without also being coloured exactly like those things

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

One time when I was at the Warehouse they had dirt that had been coloured red to match the Warehouse's colours

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
well sorry for the curt words but that sounds like a loving travesty

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

A human heart posted:

One time when I was at the Warehouse they had dirt that had been coloured red to match the Warehouse's colours

This is my fetish.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Somfin posted:

If my flag contains any colours not backed up by absolute scientific evidence then you drat well know I won't be saluting it

How can things represent other things without also being coloured exactly like those things

Why would you ever salute a flag.

It's weird, and creepy.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's weird, and creepy.

Cause AMERIKA! :911:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

It's weird, and creepy.

oohhboy posted:

Cause AMERIKA! :911:

I am actually American by birth (dual citizenship). It's a thing we do over there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Somfin posted:

I am actually American by birth (dual citizenship). It's a thing we do over there.

That explains why you're a flag-saluting weirdo. I'll bet you even think democracy works.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e: loving hell

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

NZAmoeba posted:

Still needs to be thinner, basically like Norway's

There are many ways in that it would be nice if NZ were more like Norway.

Norway doesn't have John Key.

IIRC the earth is red in Maori art because the pigment for red is readily available and also much more attractive than brown, as a colour.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 6, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Wow that's racist!!

#allcoloursarebeautiful

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lobsterpillar posted:

IIRC the earth is red in Maori art because the pigment for red is readily available and also much more attractive than brown, as a colour.

Where does the red pigment come from? ;)

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh how culturally appropriational.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Where we're going...we don't need eyes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

She's finally gone Super Sayan.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Can't sleep, Collins'll eat me.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I'm not overly sold on Red Peak, but it looks better than the current 4 options because it passes many of the flag design criteria that the others fail on like simplicity.

Meanwhile, Key caves on refugee intakes: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/71789199/prime-minister-bows-to-pressure-to-accept-more-refugees
I wonder if the next election will see some negative campaigning on Key not doing "what is right", or paying lip service to it in complicated ways (like the $25/week increase to benefits accompanied by harsher return to work criteria for single parents, etc)

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
The next election is pretty much already decided. If National haven't taken any hits in the polls since all these scandals there's not much that will cause them to lose.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

"Hundreds" over three years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, National have weathered the economy tanking and the Prime Minister being an international laughing stock creeper. Things would have to get drastically worse for them to lose power now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Define worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Less good or desirable.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Define worse.

Either losing the vote to change the flag or the All Blacks losing the World Cup.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I think at this point Key could literally murder someone live on the news and we'd still end up with National again.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Hell I hope he does. TV ratings just keep dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

The problem is that the next election is currently National's to lose, and they don't seem to be doing that yet. The other question is whether Andrew Little can improve Labour's performance to the high 30's/low 40's, in which case they would just need one of NZ First or Greens to get into power.

• Locked thread