Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Amppelix posted:

By playing an extremely repetitive minigame, over, and over, and over again.
Ew...

On the subject of stupid, do Denpa Men (all) get any deeper than "find a skill that hits the boss's weakness"? There's gently caress all when it comes to info about the games, except for overly long guides on appendages, clothing and collectibles. Is there anything different later on, or are they all just their demos extended to 30 hours?

I wish more games had demos on the store. Now I know that MGS3D doesn't look too bad even with the slowdown, and that MH4U is loving unplayable if you intend to use a ranged weapon. C-stick to aim, right trigger to use aiming mode, and A to fire is not a fun layout. Oh, and the target that took between 50 and 100 shots on the lowest difficulty setting did not seem exciting.

At least Club Nintendo was still taking new members and linking NNIDs here in Rus. Got the classic consoles theme with Virtual Boy front and centre :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Like how about the way you get new skills, which is by leveling up your mons. How do you level them up? By playing an extremely repetitive minigame, over, and over, and over again. In theory you could grind enemies but that is so much slower that it's ridiculous.

Dream Eaters weren't a great progression system, but I never felt the need to grind them out, and my one playthrough was on Proud.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

I wish more games had demos on the store. Now I know that MGS3D doesn't look too bad even with the slowdown, and that MH4U is loving unplayable if you intend to use a ranged weapon. C-stick to aim, right trigger to use aiming mode, and A to fire is not a fun layout. Oh, and the target that took between 50 and 100 shots on the lowest difficulty setting did not seem exciting.

Gotta pay attention to critical distance! Shooting from the right distance is a huge damage boost. You can tell when you hit from the right distance because you'll see the screen shake a bit.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SelenicMartian posted:

MH4U is loving unplayable if you intend to use a ranged weapon
lol insanely wrong

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

guns are not ideal for new people who have no clue whats happening though

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Minecraft or what people would just call 16 bit link made 3d

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just noticed nintendo not only merged my 2 accounts, i somehow still have all the old games on the old 3ds in addition to being on my new one, and i was given 13 bucks in eshop credit for no particular reason. Very strange.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

African AIDS cum posted:

Just noticed nintendo not only merged my 2 accounts, i somehow still have all the old games on the old 3ds in addition to being on my new one, and i was given 13 bucks in eshop credit for no particular reason. Very strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWjTyOdFVI

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

What do i spend this huge windfall on?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Europe's getting a New 3DS bundle with a digital copy of New Style Boutique 2 and some (exclusive?) faceplates: http://www.amazon.fr/Console-Nintendo-nouvelle-maison-style/dp/B014RE3OGQ/

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress europe

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

African AIDS cum posted:

What do i spend this huge windfall on?

Outrun 3D, Gunstar Heroes 3D, Streets of Rage 2 3D

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

MH4U is loving unplayable if you intend to use a ranged weapon. C-stick to aim, right trigger to use aiming mode, and A to fire is not a fun layout. Oh, and the target that took between 50 and 100 shots on the lowest difficulty setting did not seem exciting.
I recently started using the bow and did fine... as someone else said, pay attention to critical distance, and don't use the C Stick to aim. I have the N3DSXL and don't bother using the C Stick, roughly face the general direction you wanna shoot and use the D Pad instead to make adjustments. Also, there are two control schemes for the bow and the default was awful so I use the second scheme.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

EndTask posted:

I recently started using the bow and did fine... as someone else said, pay attention to critical distance, and don't use the C Stick to aim.
Yeah, I figured that out. Gave the same demo a second shot and shaved off 5 minutes. Since the c-stick is useless I'll just go back to herding cats in MH3 on PSP.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

A lot of big box stores only have one isle for videogames, and Nintendo is already taking up a lot of space with amiibos.

Are European retailers actually any different in that respect because I bet not

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

African AIDS cum posted:

robot roll call posted:

Outrun 3D, Gunstar Heroes 3D, Streets of Rage 2 3D

Seriously if you've never played these when they originally came out or you have fond remembrances of them, you can't go wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Are European retailers actually any different in that respect because I bet not

Actually Australian (and I presume European) stores have most of the amiibo's readily available. It's only the US that's apparently getting shafted in initial releases.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually Australian (and I presume European) stores have most of the amiibo's readily available. It's only the US that's apparently getting shafted in initial releases.

I probably shouldn't have ditched the context of that quote, but it's about the usual guess that retailers in the US didn't want the standard New 3DS because of limited shelf space, implying that European and Australian retailers have a fully stocked 1000 square meter Nintendo store next to the cheese aisle or something.

There's probably another reason for it is all I'm saying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I probably shouldn't have ditched the context of that quote, but it's about the usual guess that retailers in the US didn't want the standard New 3DS because of limited shelf space, implying that European and Australian retailers have a fully stocked 1000 square meter Nintendo store next to the cheese aisle or something.

Actually it's kept up on the second floor of an EB Games in Melbourne :v:. To be fair, you mostly see the nXL's on store shelves here too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

"US Retailers" always means Walmart, who everyone is afraid of pissing off so they're allowed to be super anal about all aspects of their supply chain. European retail isn't as monopolized so who cares about them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

EndTask posted:

I recently started using the bow and did fine... as someone else said, pay attention to critical distance, and don't use the C Stick to aim. I have the N3DSXL and don't bother using the C Stick, roughly face the general direction you wanna shoot and use the D Pad instead to make adjustments. Also, there are two control schemes for the bow and the default was awful so I use the second scheme.

I have mixed feelings. If you're playing online the control scheme works fine if you're going ranged, since you probably have three idiots with insect glaives vaulting all over and drawing aggro. I usually play HBG online and the controls work well enough. On the other hand the ranged controls don't lend themselves well to single-player so I just use IG or lance instead.

More people should use lance. The charge is real good.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, I figured that out. Gave the same demo a second shot and shaved off 5 minutes. Since the c-stick is useless I'll just go back to herding cats in MH3 on PSP.
I find it's only useless for precise aiming, it's great for controlling the camera and not having to use The Claw. But whatever man, MH4U loving rocks.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Can I buy Amiibos in Japan and use them on my US new 3DS and Wii U? They have a ton of them in the stores over here but I don't know if there is some sort of region locking or anything.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Can I buy Amiibos in Japan and use them on my US new 3DS and Wii U? They have a ton of them in the stores over here but I don't know if there is some sort of region locking or anything.

AFAIK, amiibos aren't region-locked and will work on any console. I have seen quite a few people online importing them from Japan/Europe and I assume they use them.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Nearly 80% of my amiibo collection are from Japan and I use them on my US consoles. For some reason, the Japanese amiibo are usually cheaper to get from Amazon than the NA/EU versions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Amiibos are only region-locked in the sense that Japan has the cool red ROB and the rest of the world has the boring grey one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

AFAIK, amiibos aren't region-locked and will work on any console. I have seen quite a few people online importing them from Japan/Europe and I assume they use them.

Yup, they're region-free. Australia's even had Japanese amiibo's on retail store shelves while we had a dearth of stock at the start of the year.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Anyone care to recommend a decent grip for the N3DS (not XL,) my hands cramp a lot while playing MH4U for long periods.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012EA9M2/

What? :psyduck:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's been awhile since I posted about LBX so here it goes: LBX is good and fun. Some of the postgame stuff is really quite difficult, moreso than you would expect in a game marketed primarily at younger kids. Also dual shotguns are cool and the level 10 1-handed gun special Spinout Shootout is amazing.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Already gone, guess someone bought it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That's just a copy of "The World Ends With You."...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is way too addictive. I picked it up for cheap and figured it would be nice for tiding me over until I get a few paychecks and can pick up my 3DS but now I'm wondering if I'll be able to put it down even after I pick up the 3DS. The first time I played it I think I got stuck with no new quests for a long stretch and got frustrated and dropped it, but now it's my new favorite game. I just have a few questions that might make it even more enjoyable:

- I don't seem to get many new recruits. I'm 12-ish hours in and I've gotten all of 2 that weren't story characters. I'll be walking around and randomly they'll pop up on a map, but it happens so rarely I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
- Sometimes when I'm on the world map certain areas will kind of blink? But when I go visit them there's nothing there? Why?
- Are auctions important? I can't seem to get the hang of them.
- Why is Aptitude so hard to raise? All my other clan skills are just naturally going up steadily through quests, but my Aptitude is still sitting at 7, which is barring me from a few quests.

They really need to make more open-ended tactics games like this. They really hit on something brilliant when they were designing this.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I picked up Legend of Legacy (in Japanese) about a week ago, mostly because it's currently extremely cheap used. I never played a SaGa game, and didn't really think I'd like it, but after a challenging start I now find it kind of addictive.

It's the kind of game that is both full of obscure mechanics and deliberately doesn't explain itself too well, so I had no idea what I was doing for the first few hours. Then I remembered 3DS games come with an online manual, which explains some things that game itself never does, and after reading that I gave up and went for a FAQ. Now that I understand how everything actually works it's still challenging but very fun to play, mostly because of the quality-of-life features (promptless quick-save bound to a button press) that make even the frustrating parts where any random enemy can kill the party in one turn smooth.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Target has Smash/Luigi's Mansion for $27.99 and Mario Kart/Mario 3D Land/NSMB2 for $20.99 and you should be able to pricematch elsewhere:

http://www.target.com/p/super-smash-bros-nintendo-3ds/-/A-15044637#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=Super Smash Bros

http://www.target.com/p/luigi-s-mansion-dark-moon-nintendo-3ds/-/A-14241449#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=luigi

http://www.target.com/p/mario-kart-7-nintendo-3ds/-/A-13785950#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=mario kart 7

http://www.target.com/p/super-mario-3d-land-nintendo-3ds/-/A-13752367#prodSlot=_1_29

http://www.target.com/p/new-super-mario-bros-2-nintendo-3ds/-/A-14165426#prodSlot=_1_16

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Getsuya posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is way too addictive. I picked it up for cheap and figured it would be nice for tiding me over until I get a few paychecks and can pick up my 3DS but now I'm wondering if I'll be able to put it down even after I pick up the 3DS. The first time I played it I think I got stuck with no new quests for a long stretch and got frustrated and dropped it, but now it's my new favorite game. I just have a few questions that might make it even more enjoyable:

- I don't seem to get many new recruits. I'm 12-ish hours in and I've gotten all of 2 that weren't story characters. I'll be walking around and randomly they'll pop up on a map, but it happens so rarely I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
- Sometimes when I'm on the world map certain areas will kind of blink? But when I go visit them there's nothing there? Why?
- Why is Aptitude so hard to raise? All my other clan skills are just naturally going up steadily through quests, but my Aptitude is still sitting at 7, which is barring me from a few quests.

They really need to make more open-ended tactics games like this. They really hit on something brilliant when they were designing this.

Can't remember anything about the map or clan stats, but for recruits check the pub rumors, I can't remember what it's called exactly but one of them explains when and where you can get new recruits and auctions can get you good gear for your clan earlier than normal if you invest a little time into them, all you need to do is win an entire region with a single auction once you do the next time there is an auction in that region it will be for items instead of land.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

auctions can get you super good gear way too earlier

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
xxx

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Getsuya posted:

-You can get new recruits every season. The season and location they show up depends on which race they are. Viera show up in the fall in Targ Wood, for example. There's also a recurring quest called "Clan Mates" which will give you a season-based recruit depending on which season you take the quest in.

-No idea about the blinking...

-Auctions are very important! They can give you discounts on shops and, much more importantly, give you free equipment! Here's a trick to them. Your opponents during the auctions will have different "tells" that well, tell you what kind of token they're going to use. If they stand still, they'll use a 1-token. If they walk normally, they use a 2. If they punch the air in a battle pose, they're going to use a 3. If they raise their arms over their head and get an exclamation point, they're about to use a 5. You can use this to stay exactly one step ahead of them.

-You can raise your Clan stats by doing Clan Trials. They're available at the Pub. This is also the only way to unlock new Clan Privileges.